Autor Tema: "Vamos a trabajar en nuevas canciones" Charlie Wat  (Leído 724 veces)

Desconectado luchostones

• Ver Perfil
"Vamos a trabajar en nuevas canciones" Charlie Wat
« on: Septiembre 07, 2010, 11:13:42 am »
Hoy saliò una nueva nota a Charlie en Le Journal du Dimanche...no puedo taducir  todo pero le remarco a mi consideraciòn, lo màs importante....

Charlie Watts: "It went so fast ..."

Carlos Gomez - Le Journal du Dimanche
Monday, September 6, 2010

Charlie Watts, drummer for the Stones, Tuesday at the Duc des Lombards.

From the photos, he's easy to recognize among his cronies. He's the only one with white hair and a vague expression of the type that could suddenly burst into tears for no reason. A je ne sais quoi of melancholy in his posture, and also terribly English. This impression was confirmed visually, when we meet in his office in the old-fashioned populist district of Wimbledon - impeccable in his three-piece suit,  like a person from a novel by David Lodge. He wears thick leather comfortable shoes, a pinstriped purple shirt neatly buttoned, and something we thought forgotten, a tie clip.

If the 1960s have left their mark, some of that is thanks to Charlie Watts, 69 years old (two more than his pal Mick Jagger). Since 1963, he's been the drummer of the most tireless post-war band, responsible for part of the soundtrack of our lives: Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones!  
Lately he's part of an exceptionally explosive quartet, formed by two pianists (Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters) and a bassist (his friend Dave Green). Together they play boogie-woogie, which reached its heyday in the 1940s, when all the big bands had boogie-woogie in their repertoire, even Count Basie. "It makes people dance. When you're a drummer, seeing that in a dance hall is the ultimate reward."

What makes a man nearly 70 years old, a member of a group of universal notoriety, and whose fortune is estimated at a minimum 80 million euros, commit to a series of concerts that will only see a few hundred fans of jazz in Paris? "Pleasure," he said with a coolness that could pass for a brownout. "Drumming is what I love most in the world."  

The boogie-woogie genre is musically limited, right?
Not true. All the songs follow a fairly similar structure which comes from the blues and rock, influenced a lot with people like Fats Domino.  The interest is in the infectious energy that emerges when music is played by madmen like those I play with, believe me. You never know if the piece will last for two minutes or twenty-two.

At one time did you try to convince Mick Jagger to hire Miles Davis?
It was in the early 1980s when Miles returned to the forefront. We went to see him in his suite at the Ritz, New York, but then nothing. At the time, the only group that played plugged funk: Sly & the Family Stone. Then Mick wanted a saxophone and I told him the best. Sonny Rollins. With him, we made the album Tattoo You.

How did you come to jazz?
Blame it on my Uncle Charlie. He had 78s Claude Luther, Sydney Bechet ...

Your first drums?
I tinkered with the belly of an old banjo. After that my parents bought me a real set.

Your first trip to Paris in the late 1950s, was it for jazz?
I was, um, 18 years and I went to see the pianist Bud Powell at Saint-Germain-des-Pres, near the Two-Magots ... Pierre Michelot was on bass, Kenny Clarke on drums. I was a fan. I wanted to be like them ...

That was long before the Stones and you were still a graphic designer in an advertising agency ...
I played with various groups, I didn't stay with one in particular, I just did my job. It went so fast ...

Were your parents proud of you?
I don't know. They've never told me ... My mother even waited until I was 45 to finally admit how she had been disappointed when, twenty years earlier, I quit a well paid job (I went to an art school) for an uncertain career in music ... I couldn't believe my ears. That is, mothers ... Mick's mom was the same. It would have been less painful to see her son become a communist rather than a musician...

Your generation had many outstanding drummers. Keith Moon (The Who), John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)…  
Keith was a show in himself, and when he died, The Who were never the same. Whereas, if I had gone too, the Stones would've had less trouble replacing me. John Bonham, he had that sound that made him recognizable among thousands. But best of all, it's always Ginger Baker [drummer of Cream of Eric Clapton].

And Ringo Starr (The Beatles)?
Like me, his playing is simple and totally devoted to enhancing good songs. Moreover, those on which he was asked to play were so well-constructed that the work was ready made. Simplicity at this level is also a quality.

When will you see the Stones?
I might see Mick as early as next month. Otherwise, it'll be around Christmas, I think… And we will begin working on new songs, as usual ...

Cuando verà ud. a los Stones?
podría ver Mick tan pronto como el próximo mes. De lo contrario, será alrededor de la Navidad, creo ... Y vamos a empezar a trabajar en nuevas canciones, como de costumbre.

Do you feel excited?
The problem is that, these days, life outside the group resumes it's natural place. For the benefit of the family especially. And when the band knocks at the door again, it pains me to lose that place. The balance is even more complex when you reach a certain age .... Imagining touring again frightens me, "Why Japan, three weeks? Are you sure, guys?" At that point, I'd rather stay at home ...

¿Te sientes excitado?

El problema es que, en estos días, la vida fuera del grupo vuelve a su lugar natural. Para el beneficio de la familia, especialmente. Y cuando la banda toca a la puerta de nuevo, me duele perder ese lugar. El saldo es aún más complejo cuando llegas a cierta edad .... Imaginar una gira de nuevo me da miedo, "¿Por qué Japón, tres semanas? ¿Están ustedes seguros,? En ese momento, yo prefiero quedarme en casa ...

The compromise would be to do the studio work, but be replaced for the tour?
Uh ... no. With all their drawbacks, both aspects are important ...

El compromiso sería hacer el trabajo de estudio, pero será sustituido para el tour?
Uh ... no. Con todos sus inconvenientes, ambos aspectos son importantes.

Is there anything the Stones have prevented you from doing?
Probably. Seeing my daughter grow up. She's 42 now ...

¿Hay algo que los Stones han impedido de hacerlo?

Probablemente. Ver a mi hija crecer. Ella tiene 42 ahora ...

The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. From Sept. 7 to 11 (20h and 22h), the Duc des Lombards, 42 rue des Lombards, 75001 Paris.

On TSF Jazz Sebastien Vidal will present a special show live from the Duke, Wednesday, September 8 (19h), followed by a broadcast of the concert.
Keith Richards: 21 de Febrero:" It´s good to be back....REALLY"......."I MISS YOU, GUYS".....

Desconectado capetruza

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #1 on: Septiembre 07, 2010, 01:24:03 pm »
Gracias x la nota, al final el vocero resulto ser el menos pensado.

• Visitante
« Respuesta #2 on: Septiembre 07, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
es la palabra de honor de un caballero!! que buena noticia al final tenian razon con lo que decian del header del otro dia ajajajaj!

larga vida a charlie!!!

Desconectado luchostones

• Ver Perfil
Keith Richards: 21 de Febrero:" It´s good to be back....REALLY"......."I MISS YOU, GUYS".....

Desconectado cantorodao

• MSN Messenger - cantorodao71@gmail.com
    • Ver Perfil
    • Email
« Respuesta #4 on: Septiembre 09, 2010, 01:46:56 pm »
Charlie es lo bastante serio para que podamos hacerle caso, ojalá esos encuentros con Mick tengan buen resultado y los tengamos muy pronto en el estudio y en la carretera. Da pena cuando decía que con la edad que tienen lo de hacer planes con tiempo es una utopía, pero es la pura verdad. De todas formas, a mi no me importaría en absoluto verles sobre un escenario como un grupo más tranquilo, no se si me explico. Se que si hacen conciertos y no ven a Mick dando saltos y a Keith y Ronnie de uno a otro lado, los críticos se lanzarán sobre ellos diciendo perrerías, pero a mi no me importaría en absoluto verlos como músicos maduros, tocando los temas de una forma más pausada, paladeándolos, al estilo de como suenan los temas en Stripped, por ejemplo.

Seguro que muchos de los que fueran a verlos se sentirían decepcionados, pero ese no sería mi caso. No se si me explico.
Ya se que es solo rocanrol, pero me gusta !!!