Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Record Store Day releases - Keith covers Velvets on Lou Reed tribute / Charlie 'Fulham Town Hall' gig gets a vinyl reissue/ Racket Club vinyl release / debut album on blue vinyl and Faces BBC Sessions (Read 833 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Record Store Day releases - Keith covers Velvets on Lou Reed tribute / Charlie 'Fulham Town Hall' gig gets a vinyl reissue/ Racket Club vinyl release / debut album on blue vinyl and Faces BBC Sessions
Feb 16th, 2024 at 10:34am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Full list of releases :

https://www.nme.com/news/music/record-store-day-2024-full-list-releases-vinyl-35...

Stones related releases :

Charlie Watts Orchestra – ‘ Live At Fulham Town Hall ‘ : 1LP Black

The Faces – ‘ The Complete BBC Sessions ‘ : 2LP, 140g clear vinyl

The Rolling Stones– ‘ Live At Racket, NYC ‘ : 1LP

The Rolling Stones – ‘ Rolling Stones ‘ : 1LP Blue

Various Artists – ‘ The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed ‘ : LP 
(for details see below)

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2024 at 10:43am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Record Store Day releases - Keith covers Velvets on Lou Reed tribute / Charlie 'Fulham Town Hall' gig gets a vinyl reissue/ Racket Club vinyl release / debut album on blue vinyl and Faces BBC Sessions
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 10:36am
VARIOUS ARTISTS
The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed

DETAILS
Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2024
Release Date: 4/20/2024
Format: LP
Label: Light In The Attic
Quantity: 3000
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

A tribute to one of the greatest songwriters & artists of our time

Features newly recorded covers from Keith Richards, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Rufus Wainwright, Lucinda Williams, Maxim Ludwig & Angel Olsen, Rickie Lee Jones, Mary Gauthier, Bobby Rush, Automatic, The Afghan Whigs, and Rosanne Cash

Special Record Store Day Edition pressed on Silver Nugget wax and housed in a silver laminated jacket. Booklet features liner notes by compilation producer & former Lou Reed publicist Bill Bentley, featuring photos by Mick Rock and Timothy Greenfield-Sanders

"To me, Lou stood out. The real deal! Something important to American music and to ALL MUSIC! I miss him and his dog." - Keith Richards

“Lou seemed fearless to me, like he’d rather die than be a people-pleaser. I took inspiration from that.” - Rosanne Cash

“Lou Reed is my earliest influence, my introduction to punk rock, and the soundtrack to the beginning of my romance with Maxim.” - Angel Olsen

"Lou Reed has been gone now for many years. He's one of the few people whom I miss as much now as when he left. There are so many instances where I wonder what he would say or what he would think. His general aura would always lend something really unique to the room. Thank God he left his great music and recordings. His personality is sorely missed. Love you, Lou." - Rufus Wainwright

It goes without saying that the legendary Lou Reed was a true rock ’n’ roll pioneer. From The Velvet Underground’s debut in 1967 all the way through the end of his days, Reed sang truth from his heart. He lived life to the limit—and then some. The Power of the Heart is a tribute to Reed’s freedom of expression with covers spanning his ground-breaking years with the Velvets into his majestic solo career. Each track is a glorious extension of the Rock ’n’ Roll Animal’s soul, ever adventurous and avant-garde.

The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed kicks off with a legend in his own right, Keith Richards, reimagining the Velvets’ classic, “I’m Waiting for the Man.” Richards’ rendition instantly invites you on board this unforgettable ride. In stark contrast, “Perfect Day” is somehow even more melancholy than the original given the Rufus Wainwright treatment, featuring sparse fingerpicking and gentle harmonies. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts deliver a version of “I'm So Free” that would have even Lou rockin’ in his grave. It’s thrilling to hear these songs reinterpreted and sung by such heavyweights; you can even hear as Lucinda Williams channels the spirit of Lou with her take on “Legendary Hearts.”

Other notable tracks include a punk-drunk, loved-up duet by real-life lovers Angel Olsen & Maxim Ludwig with “I Can’t Stand It,” and Rickie Lee Jones’ reimagining of “Walk on the Wild Side,” both whimsical and enticing with her whispery vocals, stripped-down percussion, and a piano fit for a late-night lounge. This tribute album truly defies genre, but its throughline, in the end, is its heart: a deeply thoughtful collection of songs that shaped a generation, each paying homage to a man whose body of work still sings.

Tracklist
A1 Keith Richards - I'm Waiting for the Man
A2 Maxim Ludwig & Angel Olsen - I Can't Stand It
A3 Rufus Wainwright - Perfect Day
A4 Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I'm So Free
A5 Bobby Rush - Sally Can't Dance
A6 Rickie Lee Jones - Walk on the Wild Side
B1 The Afghan Whigs - I Love You, Suzanne
B2 Mary Gauthier - Coney Island Baby
B3 Lucinda Williams - Legendary Hearts
B4 Automatic - New Sensations
B5 Rosanne Cash - Magician

... ... ...
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Keith Richards in a newly recorded tribute to Lou Reed
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 10:39am
We posted at the same time, this was my post, with subject "Keith Richards in a newly recorded tribute to Lou Reed"

Also from the Record Store Day, Keith Richards on "I'm Waiting for the Man", to be released on April 20, 2024

I love that song, it's about waiting for the heroin dealer in Harlem.

MORE HERE:

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/16517

Thanks Rogerriffin for heads up

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Record store day 2024
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2024 at 12:53pm
Excited to hear Keith doing I'm Waiting for the Man on the Lou reed tribute
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2024 at 12:55pm by Goo »  

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Re: Record store day 2024
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2024 at 12:59pm
"To me, Lou stood out. The real deal! Something important to American music and to ALL MUSIC! I miss him and his dog." - Keith Richards

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Record Store Day releases - Keith covers Velvets on Lou Reed tribute / Charlie 'Fulham Town Hall' gig gets a vinyl reissue/ Racket Club vinyl release / debut album on blue vinyl and Faces BBC Sessions
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:43am
I mean, even WE'VE been influenced by the Velvet Underground... I'll tell you exactly what we pinched from (Lou Reed) too. You know Stray Cat Blues? The whole sound and the way it's paced, we pinched from the very first Velvet Underground album. You know, the sound on Heroin. Honest to God, we did!

- Mick (1977)    (thanks to timeisonourside.com)

... ... ...
IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 10:17am
I read somewhere that Lou Reed and John Cale  went to London with their demos, and gave them to Mick, and he just slammed the door in their face ....... not sure where that comes from

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 9:30am
The Keith song is excellent, and cool guitar

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 10:05am

“To me, Lou stood out. The real deal! Something important to American music and to ALL MUSIC! I miss him and his dog.” - Keith Richards

In honor of Lou Reed’s birthday, Keith Richards has recorded a cover of “I’m Waiting for the Man.” The digital single & music video are out now and featured on the upcoming album The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed, which includes newly recorded covers from Keith Richards, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Rufus Wainwright, Lucinda Williams, Maxim Ludwig & Angel Olsen, Rickie Lee Jones, Mary Gauthier, Bobby Rush, Automatic, The Afghan Whigs, and Rosanne Cash. This special collection will be released by Light in the Attic Records and available on Vinyl & CD at fine independent record shops worldwide on Record Store Day (April 20th).

It goes without saying that the legendary Lou Reed was a true rock ’n’ roll pioneer. From The Velvet Underground’s debut in 1967 all the way through the end of his days, Reed sang truth from his heart. He lived life to the limit—and then some. The Power of the Heart is a tribute to Reed’s freedom of expression with covers spanning his groundbreaking years with the Velvets into his majestic solo career. Each track is a glorious extension of the Rock ’n’ Roll Animal’s soul, ever adventurous and avant-garde.

Session footage edited by Don Fleming

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 10:54am
"In honor of Lou Reed’s birthday, Keith has recorded a cover of “I'm Waiting for the Man.” The digital single & music video are out now and featured on the upcoming album ‘The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed’. Vinyl & CD available at fine independent record shops worldwide on Record Store Day (April 20th). Happy Birthday to Lou! "

https://x.com/officialKeef/status/1763565749560324420?s=20

Streaming links: https://link.lightintheattic.net/im-waiting-for-the-man

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 11:52am
Well that was rather tasty. Keith at his best, and it's nice to see Ivan Neville heavily involved. Steve Jordan is playing some nice drums. Great vocals too. Just a beautifully produced and performed song.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 12:53pm

“To me, Lou stood out. The real deal! Something important to American music and to ALL MUSIC! I miss him and his dog.” - Keith Richards

In honor of Lou Reed’s birthday, Keith Richards has recorded a cover of “I’m Waiting for the Man.” The digital single & music video are out now and featured on the upcoming album The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed, which includes newly recorded covers from Keith Richards, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Rufus Wainwright, Lucinda Williams, Maxim Ludwig & Angel Olsen, Rickie Lee Jones, Mary Gauthier, Bobby Rush, Automatic, The Afghan Whigs, and Rosanne Cash. This special collection will be released by Light in the Attic Records and available on Vinyl & CD at fine independent record shops worldwide on Record Store Day (April 20th).

It goes without saying that the legendary Lou Reed was a true rock ’n’ roll pioneer. From The Velvet Underground’s debut in 1967 all the way through the end of his days, Reed sang truth from his heart. He lived life to the limit—and then some. The Power of the Heart is a tribute to Reed’s freedom of expression with covers spanning his groundbreaking years with the Velvets into his majestic solo career. Each track is a glorious extension of the Rock ’n’ Roll Animal’s soul, ever adventurous and avant-garde.

Session footage edited by Don Fleming
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2024 at 1:20pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 3:05pm
I love this so much, Keith's voice sounds amazing and it's just awesome to see how much fun he is having and Steve too, it makes me so happy to see them grooving together and getting tour-ready, I cannot wait for May!!

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 3:14pm
He should do a whole album of covers

IP Logged

Roll Me
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 7:49pm
Magic!!!....amazing covr by Keith....real justice to  the spirit of Lou Reed with a huge Roling Stones sound......loving all the Satisfaction licks he throws in there....sublime!!!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 8:03pm
If you look closely, Steve is wearing a mask under his chin. I wonder when that clip was recorded.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

BillyBoll1
Rocks Off Regular

Liverpool
Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2024 at 8:46am
That video footage is so so good.

Wasn't there supposed to be a "Making of Hackney Diamonds" documentary - anybody have any idea what happened to that?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2024 at 7:34pm
There was. Still no word of it being broadcast.

Maybe they'll put it out around the time the tour starts.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2024 at 7:34pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Mar 1st, 2024 at 8:03pm:
If you look closely, Steve is wearing a mask under his chin. I wonder when that clip was recorded.

May 2023 in New York

Today would have been Lou's 82nd birthday, so putting this out is presumably timed to coincide with that
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2024 at 7:35pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 7:50pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 1st, 2024 at 10:05am:

INSTANTLY my favorite song on Hackney Diamonds

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2024 at 2:13am
Oh bOY this is great.  Steve got the Mo Tucker Shuffle down pat.  Is that an Airline guitar?  Keith sings with the wry delivery of a guy who has waited for the man a few times himself.  The background vocals are the HOOK.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2024 at 2:16am
It's so good

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #22 - Mar 8th, 2024 at 9:59am
Here the legendary Nico (Velvet Underground, Jim Morrison, Andy Warhol) performing it live (1982) and below the original studio version from her album "Drama of Exile" (1981)

In the live version seems "the man" already arrived LOL

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2024 at 12:27pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Mar 8th, 2024 at 5:34pm
This is a really good version, with Lou Reed on it as well:

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 12:33pm
The Wick wrote on Mar 8th, 2024 at 5:34pm:
This is a really good version, with Lou Reed on it as well:

Sounds like someone is using a talkbox but I don't see it, well, not even a pedal for effects. What is that sound?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)