Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uncut Magazine - October 2023 issue features Keith on Tom Waits (Read 622 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Uncut Magazine - October 2023 issue features Keith on Tom Waits
Aug 30th, 2023 at 8:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Re: Uncut Magazine - October 2023 issue features Keith on Tom Waits
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 8:23pm
Yeah Keith is on a few of toms LPs, good stuff ….That Feel being the best song

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 6:29am
Tom seems to have retired. I know he doesnt iike touring (he hasnt done so since 2008) and the last album 'Bad As Me' (with Keith on several tracks) came out in 2011.  Been lucky enough to see him live in 1987 and 2008. Fantastic stuff.

Pity, He's one of my favourite artists of all time. And the reason I became a fan was because I bought 'Rain Dogs' after it came out in 1985 just because Keith was on three songs.

The 'Uncut' article is pretty good and its a nice tribute by Keith

2013 was the Stones tour with the guest appearances - some good, some bad. This was my favourite one.

Great song. Astonishing video. Keith plays a riff that he dug out from the bowels of hell.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 9:08am
Always a great frustration for me that Mick has never embraced his troubadour side more, and collaborated with Tom Waits. With their mastery of lyrics, the result would be nuclear. Love many of Mick's forays into less traditional forms associated with people in rock'n'roll, but just wish he would embrace the traditional associations more because we miss out on collaborations with people like Tom Waits.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 12:30pm
Yeah I agree I always wished mick and/ or Keith did it do it with Lucinda Williams

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 1:06pm
Lovely stuff. Almost makes you want to micturate.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 1:39am

Not knocking anyone here or their post .. just noting my thoughts on what we should expect major publications to be talking about this fall when it comes to The Stones:

I don't care about anything else .. Keith on Tom Waits .. I've heard and saw enough about Tom Waits over the last 15 years. I've heard and saw enough about Keith and his thoughts or opinions (unless it has to do with Charlie Watts, His replacement Steve Jordan .. or Andrew Watt ..and a bit on The Stones new album). The interview should be concerning The .. (if any) Stones future and the current state of The Stones  .. not his friggin opinion of Tom Waits (this is tired). Someone needs to send a memo to Uncut informing them their first album (of originals) in 18 years is coming out and it is probably The last album of originals from them. Why would anyone care about his thoughts on Tom Waits at the moment??
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2023 at 1:44am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 12:54pm
Probably because no one at Uncut has heard their new record yet and its safe bet it'll be heavily featured when they do

Pretty hard to do a multi page feature on a non existent product

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:15pm
Someone is cranky tonight!

Keith's thoughts on anything are of interest to a wide range of fans.

Sit tight - there will be a large amount of media coverage about the new album.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:08pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 12:54pm:
Probably because no one at Uncut has heard their new record yet and its safe bet it'll be heavily featured when they do

Then they should do nothing. By Months end they will have heard the album .. or someone from The Magazine will have. Instead it's what Keith Richards thinks about Tom Waits? .. Who's alright .. don't get me wrong.. just overrated. Seems like they can't do a review or an article on the album so they will reach for anything... (Keith Richards on Tom Waits .. AGAIN ... yawn).

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:12pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:15pm:
Someone is cranky tonight!

Keith's thoughts on anything are of interest to a wide range of fans.

Sit tight - there will be a large amount of media coverage about the new album.

Hahahaha ...

I was a bit cranky .. you're right ha. Still .. it's irritating.. I keep hearing about Tom Waits or Hunter Thompson .. and they are both overrated. I ESPECIALLY dont want to hear what the hell Keith thinks about him in a full scale / front page article the very month the new album comes out? That's 'weak' and not what people want .. Not right now at least .. IMO.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:14pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 8:02pm
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:08pm:

Then they should do nothing. By Months end they will have heard the album .. or someone from The Magazine will have. Instead it's what Keith Richards thinks about Tom Waits? .. Who's alright .. don't get me wrong.. just overrated. Seems like they can't do a review or an article on the album so they will reach for anything... (Keith Richards on Tom Waits .. AGAIN ... yawn).

You're aware, I take it, that its a monthly publication? Maybe they should suspend producing it just for this event that a small % of their audience might be interested in?

Wise up ffs.

It was part of a ten page feature on the guy's career. The sort of thing they regularly do on several artists - including the Stones (a subject that if anything theyve done to death)

If you dont like, dont buy it ffs.

Quote:
I was a bit cranky .. you're right ha. Still .. it's irritating.. I keep hearing about Tom Waits or Hunter Thompson .. and they are both overrated. I ESPECIALLY dont want to hear what the hell Keith thinks about him in a full scale / front page article the very month the new album comes out That's 'weak' and not what people want .. Not right now at least .. IMO.

How do you know what their readers want?

It was publsihed two months before the Stones album is due to come out. And a couple of weeks before anyone knows (or thinks they know) what songs are going to be on it, let alone having heard any of it

But sure, lets stop journos writing about anyone else for the next few months.

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2023 at 8:04pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 11:48pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 2nd, 2023 at 8:02pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:08pm:

You're aware, I take it, that its a monthly publication? Maybe they should suspend producing it just for this event that a small % of their audience might be interested in?

Wise up ffs.

It was part of a ten page feature on the guy's career. The sort of thing they regularly do on several artists - including the Stones (a subject that if anything theyve done to death)

If you dont like, dont buy it ffs.

Quote:
I was a bit cranky .. you're right ha. Still .. it's irritating.. I keep hearing about Tom Waits or Hunter Thompson .. and they are both overrated. I ESPECIALLY dont want to hear what the hell Keith thinks about him in a full scale / front page article the very month the new album comes out That's 'weak' and not what people want .. Not right now at least .. IMO.

How do you know what their readers want?

It was publsihed two months before the Stones album is due to come out. And a couple of weeks before anyone knows (or thinks they know) what songs are going to be on it, let alone having heard any of it

But sure, lets stop journos writing about anyone else for the next few months.

I thought it was an entire article on long exclusive interview with Keith Richards (with Keith on the cover of the mag etc) solely concerning his take on Tom Waits which would be kind of stupid .. any month ... or any year. Tom Waits is ok and all but he's not Chuck Berry .. (or Elvis Presley for that matter).

I am not saying what their readers want .. Im simply saying what would sell in the month of October 2023 for an entire article or long interview with Keith Richards in the month of October 2023 ... the subject would be about 'the new album' .. not his opinion of Tom Waits (?). Posting Keith on the cover with some long interview about a topic that is totally Non-Stones related would feel like a sort of Gypp .. I mean .. Wouldnt it?

Why not have it about his opinion on Climate Change and The Russian / Ukraine War? ...It makes about as much sense at this point and time.

I mean if it's like a few paragraphs or a single page for Keith with others thoughts on other pages etc yes then that's fine.

I thought it was a three or four page exclusive interview with Keith (featuring 'only' Keith) and how he feels about (and his take on)  Tom Waits .. which would not only be stupid .. it would be downright strange Lol ESPECIALLY right when Keith has a fresh new Stones album just released. I mean ... He's not married to him geeze. ha
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2023 at 12:01am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 8:11am
Take it up with Keith Richards, then  Grin

As of whatever date that interview took place, presumably he didnt want to talk about a record that hadnt been signed off yet. It works both ways.

There'll be Stones features and interviews aplenty in the next few weeks. So many that it'll be almost impossible to keep track of them    Wink

You'll generally find that a lot of artists - the Stones included - time the upsurge of their promotional campaigns in order to get a prominent feature in such a publication just ahead of the release of their product.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2023 at 8:24am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 3:58pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 3rd, 2023 at 8:11am:
Take it up with Keith Richards, then  Grin

As of whatever date that interview took place, presumably he didnt want to talk about a record that hadnt been signed off yet. It works both ways.

There'll be Stones features and interviews aplenty in the next few weeks. So many that it'll be almost impossible to keep track of them    Wink

You'll generally find that a lot of artists - the Stones included - time the upsurge of their promotional campaigns in order to get a prominent feature in such a publication just ahead of the release of their product.

Ive noticed it occurs with others in other situations similar to this ... Yessir.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 10:43am
Hell Broke Luce is a fantastic song, based on a true story.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)