Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1976 (Read 1,281 times)
A Bigger Lebowski
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: 1976
Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2023 at 2:32am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Jun 22nd, 2023 at 9:13am:
The Wick wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:59pm:
Gazza wrote on Jun 13th, 2023 at 5:29pm:
Maybe even Voodoo Lounge as well.

This is the one I'd really love to hear. It could potentially be great if they really worked up the songs and put some real effort into it. Won't happen though, but one can still dream.

The thing with VL though is that Mick has long been of the opinion that there was a different type of record there that got away from him as the finished product ended up being more retro sounding than he would have liked.

A VL 'redux' could potentially explore that alternative path

(Don Was is) definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I'm certainly not anti-groove, just anti-groove without substance, in the context of this album. They had a number of great grooves. But it was like, OK, what goes on top of it? Where does it go? I just felt that it's not what people were looking for from the Stones. I was looking for a sign that they can great real serious about this, still play better than anybody and write better than anybody.

- Don Was, May 1994

It's very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don (Was) steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us away very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake... He tried to remake Exile on Main Street or something like that. Plus, the engineer (Don Smith) was also trying to do the same thing. Their mind-set about it was just too retro. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it inherently, but they went over the top; they'd gone too far... I didn't really fight it in the end. I gave up because there was no point in it. I think both Charlie and I didn't really like it, but we could see that that was the direction you could go, and it might be successful. I don't think it really was that successful, because I don't think there's any point in having these over-retro references. I think it was an opportunity missed to go in another direction, which would have been more unusual, a little more radical, although it's always going to sound like the Rolling Stones.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpVoodoo.html

Those are some interesting quotes about VL, I never knew all that. Always assumed they were more or less pleased with the success of the album, even if Mick did want to go more modern.

It's a little surprising they kept working with Was in light of that. Seems to me he did exactly what a producer would be expected to do with that record, at least going by the results. I'm glad they good to stretch out their sound a little more on B2B - another fantastic record that's deserving of a deluxe edition (though I'm not holding my breath on that one)

All fair points about the B&B/IORR session material. Still, I can't imagine them skipping over IORR, even if the results are sure to be a clear cash grab. I would certainly expect the 2nd disc to be much more similar to GHS than what we got out of Some Girls or Tattoo You. That's an album that I would most welcome any new/alternate mixes. I never picked up the 2009 Universal remaster, and sonically the Virgin edition that I came up with never did it for me. And I just have a hard time believing there aren't another 2 or 3 tracks they could dig up - mind you I'm no archivist (but neither is the archivist they hired)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2023 at 6:56pm
A Bigger Lebowski wrote on Jun 24th, 2023 at 2:32am:
neither is the archivist they hired

Never were there six words more truely spoken.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #27 - Jun 28th, 2023 at 4:25pm
I heard fool to cry on a rock radio station today. Surprising sounded great. Maybe they should re-release this.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2023 at 2:22pm
I must say Black & Blue sounds great…where is deluxe reissue?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)