Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Cleveland Browns Stadium, Cleveland, OH - June 15, 2024 © Jini Sachse (SweetVirginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
next archive release - El Mocambo 1977! (Read 8,532 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
next archive release - El Mocambo 1977!
Feb 24th, 2022 at 9:18am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Seems that the rumours are true. No idea of the track listings/formats or release date as yet but we can expect an official announcement around March 11

(Thanks to Nico Zentgraf for the heads up)

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2022 at 9:44am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BillyBoll1
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Liverpool
Re: next archive release - El Mocambo 1977!
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 10:39am
about bloody time too....

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 11:40am
When someone posted that on our message board on February 17 I had serious doubts because of the source and didn't post it here, hope it will real

Here the original post there http://rocksoff.org/foroes/index.php/topic,14060.0.html

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

3ddie
Rocks Off Regular

I got nasty habits: I
take tea at three

Germany, Europe
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 12:27pm
Well that would be great.  Shocked

www.facebook.com/ede.wolf1  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 1:22pm
BillyBoll1 wrote on Feb 24th, 2022 at 10:39am:
about bloody time too....

Word

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 1:25pm
Damn right!

And we dont even know the confirmed setlists for these shows.

All the available songs that are on LYL and bootlegs probably come from March 5th. I think it was the engineer Keith Harwood who said that the tapes from the 4th March show were damaged, so maybe the release will either all be from night 2 or else might also include a few salvageable songs from night 1

The intros on LYL are definitely from March 5th, as Mick says 'there's the bottom pinchers from LAST night'

... ... ...
IP Logged

TurnerPurple
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing is true, Everything
is permitted

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 3:04pm
Photos are enough sure.. Have gotten plenty audio although all of the set has been elusive... What I've been waiting for is Footage. Where's footage of any type? We've gotten audio and the rest would be appreciated but why does no one seem to care about footage

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2022 at 5:54pm
Theres no video. Thats a club that holds about 300 people, Ive never seen any photos that would indicate there were film cameras and there was no reason to film the shows - they werent televised and home video didnt exist in 1977.

The Stones are pretty much on the same level as the audience. Video footage of the shows would be almost unwatchable.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2022 at 5:55pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2022 at 6:14am
Me likey

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Sailor
Rocks Off Regular

You nicked my phone

Buenos Aires
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2022 at 6:44pm
There's an old saying among football collectors: "if there are pictures then there's a video". They probably have it in a vault somewhere along with Brian's last concert at NME

Hannah honey was a peachy kinda girl...her eyes were hazel and her nose was slightly curved

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2022 at 10:45am
Thanks Mark 10 at our message board in Spanish

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2022 at 12:15pm
The Blushing Brides!!

A SHIDOOBEE fave.
They play every year at the Wildwood Shidoobee weekends...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2022 at 10:02pm
Just waiting for a live link to purchase

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 6:40am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 11:09am
Sailor wrote on Feb 26th, 2022 at 6:44pm:
There's an old saying among football collectors: "if there are pictures then there's a video". They probably have it in a vault somewhere along with Brian's last concert at NME

There WAS film of the 1968 NME Concert, because a clip of it was shown on 'Time for Blackburn' on Southern TV (ITV) soon afterwards.  Of course, it may have been wiped and it probably wasnt the complete 2-song set. Back in the days when I collected bootleg tapes, I had an audio recording of the TV clip. Presumably whoever recorded it just put a cassette recorder in front of their TV. The Stones specifically requested that their performances at both the 1966 and 1968 NME Pollwinners shows were not broadcast.

I dont believe there was ever footage of El Mocambo for the reasons stated earlier. No cameras in any of the photos of the show, bad sightlines and in 1977 there was no reason to film concerts unless there was an intent to broadcast them. I think we'd have heard of footage by now if there was.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2022 at 11:10am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 2:00pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 2nd, 2022 at 11:09am:
Sailor wrote on Feb 26th, 2022 at 6:44pm:

There WAS film of the 1968 NME Concert, because a clip of it was shown on 'Time for Blackburn' on Southern TV (ITV) soon afterwards.  Of course, it may have been wiped and it probably wasnt the complete 2-song set. Back in the days when I collected bootleg tapes, I had an audio recording of the TV clip. Presumably whoever recorded it just put a cassette recorder in front of their TV. The Stones specifically requested that their performances at both the 1966 and 1968 NME Pollwinners shows were not broadcast.

I dont believe there was ever footage of El Mocambo for the reasons stated earlier. No cameras in any of the photos of the show, bad sightlines and in 1977 there was no reason to film concerts unless there was an intent to broadcast them. I think we'd have heard of footage by now if there was.

Plus look how tight that place was. Can you imagine some 70's film crews jammed in there too!

IP Logged

TurnerPurple
Rocks Off Regular

is permitted

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 5:47pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 24th, 2022 at 5:54pm:
Theres no video. Thats a club that holds about 300 people, Ive never seen any photos that would indicate there were film cameras and there was no reason to film the shows - they werent televised and home video didnt exist in 1977.

The Stones are pretty much on the same level as the audience. Video footage of the shows would be almost unwatchable.

Just because there aren't available photos showing professional video cameras, or the fact that it was 1977 means nothing as to whether there is footage or not, the stones have recorded every single show from the love you live album and every other show that wasn't on the album of those years and stashed them in the treasure trove of a warehouse which only Mr. Micheal has the keys to, ofcourse this warehouse includes bootlegs etc. We couldn't positively say there isn't footage of any given concert until the day comes (if ever - even after) he'd decide to throw us a scrap, the current scrap we seem to be receiving is the audio (at last!) . Home video as you may know it may not have "existed" , but home video did infact exist long before 1977. As this metephorical El Macambo would have been recorded on physical film such as anything else before it, I just wanted to say that film has existed for ages as well as home projectors since 1895. The first handheld (super 8 specifically) camera was available to everyone by 1965 and film as well as home projectors (used for home videos) by that time were abundant. That's where we get a large part of our bootlegs from is people bringing in super 8's, and at a small venue such as El Macambo if one had been used the film would be great, certainly not unwatchable, and could have had audio. If done correctly the quality super 8 film can produce is astronomically better than any digital phone or otherwise would capture surely.

IP Logged

TurnerPurple
Rocks Off Regular

is permitted

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 5:55pm
And hey gazza I'm not singling you out here I know you know what film is but people went haywire for filming the stones plus I'm explaining it for those who may not know, there's no reason why one of those lucky people who got to be there wouldn't have filmed it if they had a camera with them. And they could've gotten the film confiscated if noticed (or not) and they've just sat on it. The mystery films I've got were sat on for decades upon decades and still nobody knows what they are.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 7:27pm
TurnerPurple wrote on Mar 2nd, 2022 at 5:47pm:
Gazza wrote on Feb 24th, 2022 at 5:54pm:

Just because there aren't available photos showing professional video cameras, or the fact that it was 1977 means nothing as to whether there is footage or not, the stones have recorded every single show from the love you live album and every other show that wasn't on the album of those years and stashed them in the treasure trove of a warehouse which only Mr. Micheal has the keys to, ofcourse this warehouse includes bootlegs etc. We couldn't positively say there isn't footage of any given concert until the day comes (if ever - even after) he'd decide to throw us a scrap, the current scrap we seem to be receiving is the audio (at last!) . Home video as you may know it may not have "existed" , but home video did infact exist long before 1977. As this metephorical El Macambo would have been recorded on physical film such as anything else before it, I just wanted to say that film has existed for ages as well as home projectors since 1895. The first handheld (super 8 specifically) camera was available to everyone by 1965 and film as well as home projectors (used for home videos) by that time were abundant. That's where we get a large part of our bootlegs from is people bringing in super 8's, and at a small venue such as El Macambo if one had been used the film would be great, certainly not unwatchable, and could have had audio. If done correctly the quality super 8 film can produce is astronomically better than any digital phone or otherwise would capture surely.

Yes - audio. Not video. In 1977 you could release a live album. You couldnt release a home video because the format didnt exist.  Any shows that were professionally filmed were done so for TV or cinematic release. they're hardly going to release Super 8 footage

... ... ...
IP Logged

TurnerPurple
Rocks Off Regular

is permitted

Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 8:59pm
I didn't say they would release infact I said they wouldn't because if they had caught somebody filming it and stowed it away we would never know. And yes, not only did home projectors exist for numerous formats of film but VHS was actually brought to America in exactly 1977. Not to mention Betamax tapes existing - and Japenese video discs, I could go on and on about home video formats that were widely used and distributed by '77. Its not that they couldn't have produced it, they just simply chose not to.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 9:15pm
They werent in 'widespread' use. Video machines existed -  yes. And they were ridiculously expensive - a few months wages. I remember a cousin of mine buying one around 1977 for about £700, which is nuts. We got our first one at Christmas 1981 - by that time, they had come down to 'only' about £450.

Buying videos from a store however for home use was for most people something that was in the future. As far as I'm aware, the Stones didnt release any home videos until 1983 (Lets Spend The Night Together / Stones In The Park). I cant think of any musical artist who was releasing home videos in the 70's - can you?
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2022 at 9:16pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

TurnerPurple
Rocks Off Regular

is permitted

Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 10:24pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 2nd, 2022 at 9:15pm:
They werent in 'widespread' use. Video machines existed -  yes. And they were ridiculously expensive - a few months wages. I remember a cousin of mine buying one around 1977 for about £700, which is nuts. We got our first one at Christmas 1981 - by that time, they had come down to 'only' about £450.

Buying videos from a store however for home use was for most people something that was in the future. As far as I'm aware, the Stones didnt release any home videos until 1983 (Lets Spend The Night Together / Stones In The Park). I cant think of any musical artist who was releasing home videos in the 70's - can you?

Look dude, I'm not going around in circles over this. Now you're trying to back me into a corner over fear of not being right about saying things like "you couldn't release a home video because the format didn't exist" We weren't on the topic of how widespread it was. And the beatles and stones were actually releasing super 8 footage back in the 60's for home video use. Outside of that, bootlegs existed period. Handheld camera's everyone used in widespread since 1965, is that not a form of home video? Here's a concert VHS from 1978 since you just had to change the subject. https://imgur.com/a/oR431Zl
Whatever about the price, whatever about the band themselves actually releasing it. Bootlegs were common place, which you're entirely discrediting at this point. The band would commonly re-confiscate this footage if they got caught. Here's bootleggers with super 8 camera's here in this video if you need a visual as to how it worked or something, Nevermind the VHS shit it is entirely off topic now. El Macambo footage CAN exist. What's so hard about admitting it might exist? Guess someone's glass is half empty.

https://youtu.be/dacZjjkUFx8

Im nearly tired of even entertaining/teaching this mass display of narcissism/egoism

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2022 at 12:03pm
I'm not your 'dude' and if you want to reduce this to personal insults, take yourself elsewhere.  I'm well aware that super 8 movies and bootlegs existed for years before 1977.

We can disagree in a respectful manner about whether they would, should or could have recorded this, but  (unfortunately) the shows werent filmed. A pal of mine in Ottawa won a radio contest for tickets for the second night and confirmed that there didnt seem to be any film cameras.

My question about home video releases in the 70s was a genuine query because I simply dont know of any. That ELO video album was recorded in 1978 but not released until 1980, however the discography here suggests they released a video album of their 'Discovery' album in 1979. So - thank you for providing that example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Blue:_Live_at_Wembley

Rather than El Mocambo, I'm more suprised the Stones didnt release 'Some Girls Live in Texas' as a home video around that time. It was filmed for a cinema release, but left in the can.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2022 at 12:36pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Duppy Conqueror
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2022 at 4:13am
Presumably not many people had video decks in the late 70s early 80s so sales of a home video would be poor?

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2022 at 8:38am
Pretty exciting news. 

Not like rent-a-sheep exciting.

But exciting nonetheless.

https://philsanimalrentals.com/sheep/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)