Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021 (Read 26,342 times)
The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Re: RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021
Reply #150 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 7:03pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Another beautiful tribute by Ronnie:

https://www.ronniewood.com/

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #151 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 7:29pm
‘Not just a drummer – a genre’: Stewart Copeland and Max Weinberg

(The Guardian)

Stewart Copeland, the Police

I’m an early-period Stones fan, and not so much because of losing interest in them, but because when you’re 16, music is 100 times more important – and the Rolling Stones were right there when I was 16. Humans are sort of like ducks. A duck comes out of the shell, the first warm thing it sees is mama; for adolescent teenage humans, the first raucous sound of rebellion, that’s daddy. And in my generation, that sound was the Stones.

Charlie’s death is devastating and shocking partly on the account that Rolling Stones are not meant to perish – they’re indefatigable. They’ve outlasted everybody, which is ironic, because they’re the bad boys who stay out late and have three sugars in their tea. The libertine, rakish lifestyle they celebrated should have taken them down for their wretchedness, and yet they’ve survived everybody, so when we lose one it’s quite shocking. Finally the Grim Reaper has called, for probably the most virtuous of them all!

Prior to his death, the Rolling Stones had already found a replacement for their next tour, but you would have noticed the difference. All the drummers are saying: “No, Charlie was the Stones, there would be no Stones [without him]” – which is going a little far. But looking at it from the other angle, you sure will notice him when he’s not there any more. It’s sort of like the bass. People don’t listen to the bass, but you take it away, and wow, you really notice something’s missing. And that will certainly be true of Charlie. Every human has a distinct personality, some more distinct than others, and in musicians, that really comes to the fore. You can analyse Charlie Watts, but that still won’t get you to his feel and his distinct personality. It’s an X-factor, it’s a charisma, it’s an undefinable gift of God.

I can tell you about the technique, though. Drummers will argue about this long into the night: either how did John Bonham get that mountain of sound, or how did Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts get that feel? Technically, what it is, is that he leads with his right foot on the kick drum, which pushes the band forward. Meanwhile his left hand on the snare, the backbeat, is a little relaxed, a little lazy – and that combination of propulsion and relaxation is the technical definition of what he’s doing. But you can try it yourself, all you want, and it ain’t going to sound like Charlie.

He has caused a lot of damage out there, in the same way Jimi Hendrix came out with a wah-wah pedal – it was the ruination of many guitarists who didn’t get it and ruined their guitar playing with a wah-wah pedal. Similarly, drummers attempting to get that laid-back feel just sound lame. Behind the beat, that’s not good – you’ve got to do it in such a way, like Charlie. And there’s a synergy with those guitar riffs, and also with Mick Jagger, who is extremely rhythmic with his vocals – he, in that band, more than most, was part of the rhythm section. It’s a combination of those elements that makes it what it is.

Charlie described himself as a jazz drummer, but they all do that – in rock’n’roll, that’s sort of like saying “classically trained”. Rock musicians aspire to have jazz credibility – even Ginger Baker called himself a jazz drummer, for God’s sake. I’d say it was a futile enterprise: a member of the Rolling Stones denying being rock’n’roll is not very convincing! But one thing you can see of the jazz influence on him is that he went for groove, and derived power from relaxation. Most rock drummers are trying to kill something; they’re chopping wood. Jazz drummers instead tend to be very loose to get that jazz feel, and he had that quality. The jazz factor in Charlie wasn’t in the use of the ride cymbal going ting-ting-ti-ting, it was his overall body relaxation. It’s also why he hardly broke a sweat while driving the band to light up a stadium.

The biggest thing I learned from him is volume – he plays very quietly. Very early on, he discovered this wonderful device called the PA system: five billion watts of PA means that the drummer doesn’t have to work all that hard after all. When I was a young drummer, I was out there trying to kill every drum in sight, and it’s through watching Charlie that I realised: you know what? You can actually get a better sound out of your drums, and a better groove, if you relax.

As far as individual songs go, I’d pick out his work on Satisfaction: stripped down and simple, it just drives forward, nothing fancy. If you try and write that down, it’s like one bar repeated; four on the floor, and with the snare doubling. Then there’s Get Off My Cloud, which is the definitive drum intro to a track – that’s just iconic. And Jumpin’ Jack Flash, where the riffs, the drums and the vocals just come together. That’s the highest quality of a drummer. Buddy Rich, you go to see for the drum fills and the flashy stuff; you go to see a band, and they’re great or not due to the synergy, not due to the star quality. I’m afraid I’ve been slow to learn that lesson! I did learn to relax from Charlie, but I’m still a show-off, still too full of nervous energy.

Max Weinberg, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

When I was a kid in New Jersey, if you were looking for work, there’d be ads for musicians. In the mid-60s and 70s, they would invariably say: “Wanted: Charlie Watts type drummer”. Charlie is not just a drummer – he’s a genre. Every beat I play, there’s Charlie Watts in there someplace.

What he did that was unique with the Rolling Stones, was that while it was rock’n’roll, it was really blues. I have an opinion that the Stones have lasted because they’re essentially a blues band as opposed to being a pop band; blues is timeless. Of course, they are the greatest band in the world for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they call themselves the greatest band in the world. But on a drumming level, he was non-pareil – there was nobody quite like him. There are pretenders and contenders, but there’s only one Charlie Watts, and only ever will be – while not here in body, he will live for ever in the spirit of his drumming. It’s almost incomprehensible to think of a world, at least in my world, without Charlie Watts.

He fashioned himself after his favourite jazz drummers, among them the great English jazz drummer Phil Seaman, and Dave Tough, an American drummer who even looked like Charlie: a fastidious dresser, apparently with the most incredible groove and sound. Charlie became a proponent – as I am – of a style of rock drumming popularised by the late, great Al Jackson, the famous Stax drummer, where you deliberately play behind the direct backbeat. The way you do that – which is a little technical – is not by focusing on the two and the four beat, but the one and the three. Another example is James Brown’s music, which is heavily focused on landing on the one. It takes a long time to be able to do that. A drummer like that, you’re driving the bus, and the best drummers do that, to give the other musicians what they need. Charlie did it instinctually, or in some cases by osmosis by listening to the great drummers: Chick Webb, Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare, Art Blakey, Max Roach.

He had a very signature drum fill. During the recording of what would become Bruce Springsteen’s Born in the USA album, Street Fighting Man was really intriguing me because of the sound, the toughness, the beat; the fact that it was apparently recorded on a tour drum set or a box, on a cassette player, and sounded incredibly dangerous and tough. Charlie does this thing where he plays, quickly, three eighth notes: bap-bap-bap. And when Bruce presented the groove to Born in the USA, it reminded me of Street Fighting Man, so on that song, I’m doing Charlie Watts.

Rocks Off is another of the best Charlie Watts performances. He does these rolling fills in the middle of phrases. It’s genius, but it’s not composed before it actually happened – because he’s a jazz drummer, he’s creating it in the moment. As he said in many interviews, he’s back there and he always imagined Charlie Parker or Miles Davis is standing up in front of him.

We developed a friendship. He was always an incredibly lovely, sophisticated individual. I first met him around 1979 or 1980 – the Stones were playing a couple of nights in Madison Square Garden, and I was tagging along for this interview for Modern Drummer with a friend of mine. He was wearing a three-piece Savile Row suit, just incredibly turned out, and invites us into his hotel room so he can unpack. He had two beautiful leather suitcases on the bed, and he opened them up. Everything was immaculately folded; there was a precise toiletries kit. It was the exact opposite of the way I travel on the road. He took his clothes out of his suitcases, put them on the bed, refolded them, and put them in the drawers. I had never used a drawer in a hotel room in 15 years of being on the road. I thought it was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen. We did this interview, ordered room service, and he realised he had to get picked up to go to the Garden. He went into the bedroom, and came out wearing sweatpants and a sort of ripped T-shirt. He’d looked like an English lord, with this handsome, aristocratic, craggy face, and now he’s so dressed down to go “play with them”, as he said. Not “go play with my band, our band”, it was always “them, the Stones”. There was this funny kind of distance.

Years passed. Charlie called me in 1989, and said the Stones were playing New York City in October. He remembered me telling him I was friends with Joe Morello – the Dave Brubeck Quartet drummer who was responsible for the odd metres that Brubeck played in Take Five and Blue Rondo a la Turk – and Mel Lewis, an incredible bop-era drummer. Charlie was a huge fan and said: “I don’t know why they would, but I would be over the moon if they would agree to come to Shea Stadium so I could say hello to them – I wouldn’t expect them to stay.” I said, “Charlie, I will do my best.” Mel hated rock’n’roll – one of those jazz guys where rock’n’roll represented the decline of western civilisation.

But we end up driving to Shea Stadium, and we’re being treated like royalty. They take us up in an elevator, and with the Rolling Stones – similar to Paul McCartney – there’s about 10 guest levels, and each level is slightly more VIP than the next. We’re led into the inner sanctum. I said: “Charlie, it’s my honour to introduce you to Joe and Mel.” And he grabbed each of their hands, and said: “Gentlemen, it’s such an honour to meet you.” Charlie had a million questions: “When you played with Wynton Kelly and you did that little roll, how did you do that? Joe, could you show me exactly what you’re doing on Take Five?” He was a kid on Christmas, a smile from ear to ear. Me, I couldn’t believe I pulled this off.

They wanted to stay for the concert. Joe was blind, he couldn’t enjoy the spectacle, but he said to me: “Boy, Charlie Watts is a hell of a drummer, what a strong sense of time, he really anchors that band.” Mel, meanwhile – this is a guy who for 45 years had railed against rock’n’roll, and he completely loved it, every aspect of it. He got the musicality, the spectacle, and he was most impressed of all with Charlie’s drumming. What impresses drummers is: is what you’re doing appropriate to the music you’re playing? That’s what Mel Lewis was really impressed with: “Boy, he’s nailing it down!” On the drive home, Mel is saying, “I still don’t like rock’n’roll, but that was a hell of an experience. And your friend, I see why they’re called the greatest band – if you have to play rock drums, that’s the way rock drums should be played.”

Last time I saw Charlie was in Newark at the Prudential Centre a couple of years ago, the day before Bruce sat in with them and played Tumbling Dice. I reminded him that some 50 years before, I had seen them on 7 November 1965, down the street from here. They opened with Everybody Needs Somebody to Love by Solomon Burke, and played for about half an hour. There was a contest to win the spot to open for them, and my band didn’t get it. I was in the second row, and their big hit was Get Off of My Cloud – they played that and it sounded exactly like the record.

In the arena, we were standing against this wall, and he had his blue Rolling Stones-branded windbreaker on, that he always wore in later years. We were reminiscing about all that time that had gone by – an incredibly gracious guy, lovely guy. And when he went out to play, he took off the jacket with the tongue logo, he folded it, he handed it to his assistant, and sat down. If I was going to look like anyone else playing the drums, I’d want it to be Charlie Watts.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/26/stewart-copeland-max-weinberg-on-c...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #152 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 8:11pm
Some shows from the BBC radio archives featuring Charlie that are available to listen for the next 28 days. Charlie talking about music is always a great listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p09t3b1m

'The First Time With Charlie Watts' (December 25, 2011)
(60 mins)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b018h4fr

Another chance to hear Charlie Watts discussing the musical milestones of his life in an interview with Matt Everitt first broadcast in 2011.

Jagger's ego might always occupy the centre stage, and Richards is the archetypal elegantly wasted rocker - but the heart of the Rolling Stones has to be drummer Charlie Watts.

His distinctive and deceptively powerful drumming has propelled the group throughout their career and countless hits. Other members may come and go, but as Keith himself admits: no Charlie? No Stones.

In this rare interview, Charlie tells of his life as the least rock 'n' roll but always charming Stone. With his deadpan wit and laconic style, he recalls his pre-Stones career and the early, starving-in-a-bedsit days of what would become one of the greatest bands in the world, as well as the roots of his overriding passion, jazz.

He also sheds a light on his role in the complex relationships within the group; their golden years of recording; his own brief but hard-fought battle with heroin; and whether the Stones would, or could ever, tour again.

'Desert Island Discs'   25th February 2001 (44 mins)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09t4v87

The Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts spoke to Sue Lawley in 2001.

DISC ONE: Out of Nowhere by Charlie Parker
DISC TWO: Night and Day by Frank Sinatra
DISC THREE: Dance of the Coachmen and Grooms (from Petrushka) by Stravinsky
DISC FOUR: The Reunion Party by Tony Hancock / Sid James
DISC FIVE: Jack the Bear by Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
DISC SIX: The Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams
DISC SEVEN: Fourth Test match - England / Australia - July 1956
DISC EIGHT: The Way You Look Tonight by Jerome Kern

BOOK CHOICE: Collected Poems 1934-52 by Dylan Thomas
LUXURY ITEM: Drumsticks
CASTAWAY'S FAVOURITE: Dance of the Coachmen and Grooms (from Petrushka) by Stravinsky

'Charlie Watts Talks to Jamie Cullum' 20 November 2012 (17 mins)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09t3b42

As a tribute to the Rolling Stones drummer, who has died at the age of 80, another chance to hear his interview with Radio 2's Jamie Cullum.

Jamie meets up with Charlie in Paris to talk about The Rolling Stones, drumming and his lifelong passion for jazz.

Charlie remembers the artists he first heard when he was younger that inspired his style of drumming, from Howlin' Wolf to Earl Palmer, and the pair discuss the slick fashion of jazz musicians, who have influenced Charlie's own style.

Charlie also confides in what it was like drumming with The Stones, and shares some great memories from the last fifty years

plus

'The People's Playlist'  26th August 2021. (28 mins)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zjtd
The People's Playlist celebrates the life and music of Charlie Watts from The Rolling Stones, with all the songs chosen by you.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2021 at 8:12pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #153 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 10:31am

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

MEXICO DF.
Reply #154 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 11:38am

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #155 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 12:30pm

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #156 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 1:00pm
The Wick wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 12:30pm:

LOL Wick, and this was not the exception  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #157 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 1:06pm
Nick Mason of Pink Floyd

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #158 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 4:43pm
BBC Four just broadcast a 30-minute 'Charlie Watts at the BBC' special

Featured clips were Top of the Pops 1965, the Montreux rehearsals in 1972, live sessions with the ABCD of Boogie Woogie and with Dave Green. Plus a couple of interviews.

If you're in the UK and have a TV licence you should be able to view/download it here tomorrow :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zk7z

(thanks to The Juf for tipping me off that it was on)

... ... ...
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #159 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:01pm
Perks is gutted. Thanks for everything Charlie.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #160 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:05pm
This is very depressing. Charlie was such a nice guy. A gifted musician well-educated on the history of music. He had such a unique sound. It was his gift to the world, that amazing sound.

And now he's gone.

Charlie Watts is gone.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #161 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 7:11pm
This interview made me laugh for one of the few times this week

Charlie and Woody talking to Clash magazine from February 2018 to promote the upcoming European tour.  They’re both on great form here - Charlie’s disdain at every mention of social media is pretty hilarious

Thanks to Denton for providing the link

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #162 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 9:07pm
Red Hot Chili Peppers Drummer Chad Smith: My Day With Charlie Watts

Smith got a lesson in curiosity, humility, and class when he spent a day with Watts in 2018

By HANK SHTEAMER

"He was just very curious, which I found enlightening," Chad Smith says of meeting Charlie Watts.

Daniel Knighton/Getty Images; Jane Barlow/PA Wire/AP

In the fall of 1994, Chad Smith was in the middle of a soundcheck at the Rose Bowl, where the Red Hot Chili Peppers were about to open for the Rolling Stones, when his drum tech started gesturing to him with his head. “I look over and he was giving me one of those [motions], like, ‘Hey, look over here,’ and I look by the monitor desk and Charlie Watts was standing there. It was a warm Los Angeles afternoon, and he’s in a perfect suit. I’m like, [mock-sheepishly] ‘Ah, shit, Charlie fuckin’ Watts is watching me …’ “

As it turned out, the Stones drummer wasn’t there to offer any kind of critique. He just wanted to talk drums. “I finish, I go over: ‘Charlie, nice to meet you.’ [Imitating soft English accent] ‘Oh, man, you sound great.’ ‘Oh, wow, thank you.’ And I had a green-sparkle drum set at the time. He says, ‘Oh, is that a new one?’ And I said, ‘No, the company makes them.’ And he goes, ‘I’ve got one; [jazz drummer] Mel Lewis has one like that.’ That was his thing; he connected with the color of the drums.”For Smith, the moment perfectly captured both the late Stones drummer‘s low-key demeanor and his discerning aesthetic sense, the way he knew exactly what he wanted out of his instrument both visually and sonically. It would take nearly 25 years, but Smith, a longtime Stones fan, eventually got to enjoy some more extended face time with Watts — and soak up decades’ worth of drumming lore — when spent a day with him in Oxnard, California, touring the headquarters of the DW drum company and interviewing him for the Drum Channel. Smith took some time on Wednesday to reminisce about that magical day, and to reflect on Watts’ unassuming mastery behind the kit.

I did have a chance to spend a whole day with [Charlie]. … This company DW, he plays their snare drums and I also do, and I got a chance to hang out with him. We went through their factory, [me and] him and Jim Keltner, another very good friend of his and another amazing drummer. And then I got to interview him for about an hour and a half, and, you know, Charlie Watts, he’s known to be kind of reserved and he doesn’t do a lot of interviews that I know of, but he was gracious and he wanted to talk drums. And mainly, all he wanted to talk about was jazz: … [saxophonist] Gerry Mulligan and, “I heard Charlie Parker and I wanted to go to New York and do that.” …

We went out to lunch at this little restaurant that the president of the company, Don Lombardi, takes everybody to. It’s a little hole-in-the-wall place. It was in the afternoon and it was probably around Tuesday or Wednesday and there’s like six people in there and we walk in. And, you know, I’ve been with other recognizable people, and you see [people] pointing and the whole thing, but it was interesting to see — first of all, he was impeccably dressed, as he’s famous for, beautiful linen light-blue suit and his shoes were not the same color as his shirt but matched in a really tasteful, classy way. He looked super cool as he always did. And drummers kind of have a reputation as the gruff guys in the background and the knuckle-dragging drummers that [mock-caveman voice] hit stuff for a living. Charlie wasn’t that; he was smart and articulate, but he was really interested in everything, and he was very good friends with Keltner and wanted to know how his family was, and what he was playing on and what new instrument ideas [he had]. He was just very curious, which I found enlightening because he could just sit back and say, “Hey, this is what I do and that’s it. I’m good.” He seemed really youthful in that way.

But all the people at the restaurant, like the busboy, would come over: “Can I get you a new small plate?” And the guy would come over with the water, like everyone in the restaurant wanted to be around the flame, and he was very gracious to all of them. Super, super nice, and seemed very authentic. No airs and no put-ons, just talking to the people [at DW who were] making the shells and the edges of the drums, and wanting to know what their thought process was about how they’re making these beautiful instruments and always so complimentary. He just kind of flowed with this grace.

And again, he just wanted to talk about all things jazz. He was a collector of drum sets of drummers like Elvin Jones and Mel Lewis and he would acquire their instruments and he’s like, “I never see them. … They’re in my storage somewhere, but I get them because I want it to be known that these instruments are taken care of.” So there’s a warehouse full of drums, like, amazing drums, that Charlie Watts has, and he’s not a collector like, “Oh, I’m going to try to collect this one, and sell this,” or anything like that. He just wanted them to have a home and be taken care of. I found that really nice and sweet and kind.

And he told me, he said, “Chad, I see so many drummers who want to play fast and a lot of notes, and that’s great. I marvel at that. But the most important thing is your ears, to be a good listener.” He says, “All the great jazz players, because they improvised so much, you had to be a great listener. And I learned that really young.”

The [John] Bonhams and those guys, there was more of technique thing … and Ginger Baker with his long drum solos. I don’t think Charlie Watts ever did a drum solo, did he? He was [in] a supportive role: “This is what I do; this is my part in the band. And I know how to do it, I do it well, I make it feel good. …”

[And] he kept playing forever. Ringo Starr, also an incredibly amazing musician, but you gotta remember, [the Beatles] stopped touring in 1966. The Stones never really stopped, and kept making records, so we’ve had this full spectrum [of work].

Going back to what I was saying, he was curious. Even the Chili Peppers, [he’d ask], “What are you listening to?” or “What do you like?” Interested in new things, but not trying to copy [them] — just being open to that influence and it’s going to seep into your playing. … And I think that that’s why [his playing was so adaptable to various eras]. To me, it didn’t sound like [the Stones] were trying [to play current musical styles] in a premeditated way. It was just, “This is how we do it” — still Mick Jagger, still Keith Richards, still the Stones, and still Charlie. Like “Miss You,” four on the floor? They weren’t doing that in 1965, 1970, but it was great! It didn’t sound like some disco rip-off. It was the Stones doing that because they liked it.

What a body of work. I really love the Mick Taylor–era Stones, the Exiles, and Sticky Fingers. … I mean, you put “Brown Sugar” on, and you’d have to be dead not to dance to that. It’s amazing. And again, nothing fancy, but just the feel of it. … A Charlie Watts backbeat, it’s where you place it. Fast or slow, he was great. He could play those ballads so great: “Wild Horses,” and, I don’t know, name me a Rolling Stones song that doesn’t feel great. You can get lucky once or twice and make a recording, but to do it for 58 years playing so many iconic hits, to me that just speaks for itself, his body of work. And that’s what’s so great, that we’ll always have that, the legacy of that, and we’ll be able to listen to that music forever. That’s a beautiful gift.

- Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/charlie-watts-red-hot-chili-pe...

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2021 at 9:17pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #163 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 9:21pm
Here's Chad's 30-minute interview with Charlie from 2018

https://www.drumchannel.com/dc-originals-chad-smith-show-featuring-charlie-watts...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Sailor
Rocks Off Regular

You nicked my phone

Buenos Aires
Reply #164 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 12:26am

Hannah honey was a peachy kinda girl...her eyes were hazel and her nose was slightly curved

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #165 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 12:45am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOudlMlWIc

Cool  interview, eh?

Sorry if this has been posted before.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #166 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 12:53am
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxlPRUll-U[/url}

Jesus fucking Christ, this is the one I wanted to post.  Jesus.  Old age and all.

Sorry if its been posted before.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #167 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 12:58am

This one!  Jesus fucking Christ, I'm as bad as my 85 year old dad.  Sorry, I don't hang out on the internet much anymore.  I'm a retardical in that regardical.

Charlie Watts!

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #168 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 2:38pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #169 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 5:47pm

nice read, with a few photos I've never seen before

Charlie Watts: Devon village remembers its resident Rolling Stone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58363801

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #170 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 6:39pm
Dead & Co, the Last Time dedicated to Charlie Watts

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #171 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 6:42pm
Jason Isabell dedicates Moonlight Mile and CYHMKCharlie

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #172 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 6:47pm
Galaxisok - Charlie Watts tribute (Fishing On Orfű 2021)

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #173 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 11:59pm
The Foo Fighters tribute:

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #174 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 3:42am
I can't imagine how painful it must be to prepare and gear up for this tour after losing Charlie. You've just lost a best friend who was always there right behind you and now you gotta go on stage without him in front of thousands expecting you to entertain them have fun and act like everything's just fine...

I hope our boys are hanging in there.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)