Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Rolling Stones album that Mick Jagger hates (Read 3,824 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
The Rolling Stones album that Mick Jagger hates
Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:34pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Rolling Stones album that Mick Jagger hates

Joe Taysom·December 29, 2020

The Rolling Stones have hardly set a foot wrong since their formation in 1963. Some fans would argue that there isn’t one misstep over the entirety of their career. However, Mick Jagger is spectacularly unfavourable towards one album, in particular, from their repertoire. The album in question, Their Satanic Majesties Request, is the least Rolling Stones style record that they have ever made.

The psychedelic and experimental album saw The Stones wave goodbye to the bluesy brand of rock ‘n’ roll they had made their own in favour of dipping their toes into trippy, acid fuelled waters. Many fans still view the record as an utter masterpiece that shows their impressive versatility and proves that they were a multi-faceted beast.

However, Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone in 1995 that the record wasn’t an epiphanic creative endeavour that they felt compelled to go after, and instead, was their bizarre way of pushing out their manager, Andrew Loog Oldham. Critics accused the album of ripping off The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s and to a degree, that was right but only because they knew Oldham hated that brand of music and that sealed the deal.

“The whole thing, we were on acid,” Jagger recalled to the publication. “We were on acid doing the cover picture. I always remember doing that. It was like being at school, you know, sticking on the bits of coloured paper and things. It was really silly. But we enjoyed it. Also, we did it to piss Andrew off, because he was such a pain in the neck.”

Jagger then added: “Because he didn’t understand it. The more we wanted to unload him, we decided to go on this path to alienate him.”

The personal issues between Oldham and The Stones had reached boiling point by 1967. Oldham was just as consumed by drugs as the Stones, and the two parties drifted beyond repair. Although Oldham played a significant part in establishing them as greats, their relationship was no longer viable. Him despising the sound of Satanic Majesties was the fuel they needed to go ahead with the record. Well, that and perhaps more importantly — acid.

“I probably started to take too many drugs,” Jagger admitted about the record. Well, it’s not very good. It had interesting things on it, but I don’t think any of the songs are very good. It’s a bit like Between the Buttons. It’s a sound experience, really, rather than a song experience. There’s two good songs on it: “She’s a Rainbow,” which we didn’t do on the last tour, although we almost did, and “2000 Light Years From Home,” which we did do. The rest of them are nonsense.

“I think we were just taking too much acid. We were just getting carried away, just thinking anything you did was fun and everyone should listen to it,” Jagger added.

It’s not just Jagger who isn’t a fan of the record now that the acid has worn off, Keith Richards also looks back at the album without much fondness. In an interview with Esquire in 2015, the guitarist spoke about the famous comparison between the album and Sgt. Pepper’s, which it’s safe to say he holds equal disdain towards.

Richards noted: “If you’re the Beatles in the ’60s, you just get carried away—you forget what it is you wanted to do. You’re starting to do Sgt. Pepper. Some people think it’s a genius album, but I think it’s a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—’Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.'”

Even if The Rolling Stones collectively despise, Satanic Majesties, that doesn’t mean it still wouldn’t be the album that most bands would kill to have in their repository. Even if it’s not The Stones’ finest hour, the album, more importantly, signifies a pivotal moment in their career when drugs took over, and the process in which the record was born out of was undoubtedly the most chaotic in their history. It’s a miracle that they survived this period of mayhem, let alone come out of it with a record like Satanic Majesties in tow.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rolling-stones-album-mick-jagger-hates-satanic-maje...

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Re: The Rolling Stones album that Mick Jagger hates
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 9:39pm
Some of these quotes seem a little dodgy to me. I haven't read that Rolling Stone interview in a long time, but I don't remember him saying all of that. Perhaps he did, but it seems a little click baity and it was a slow day at the office. Keith's take is spot on though.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 11:42pm
This was Mick's second choice:

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2020 at 11:48pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:33pm
I have that Issue of Rolling Stone (1995), it's a great interview

Here the text from Rolling Stone

Mick Jagger Remembers

In one of his most in-depth interviews ever, the Rolling Stones frontman looks back on 30 years in the world’s greatest rock & roll band

By JANN S. WENNER

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/mick-jagger-remembers-92946/

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:35pm
In fact, the answers about Jimi Hendrix are in our Jimi space here in Rocks Off

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:48pm
...and btw, I love that album and Gazza hates it

Brian's smile

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 9:44pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:48pm:

Brian's smile

A psych masterpiece number two in my book after the pepper in the sandoz sound collages. Perks crushes it......

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 12:31pm
So DIrty Work is in the top 10 then? War horses couldn't drag me away So long sucker Spooky post Oh no! not you again

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 5:56pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:48pm:

Brian's smile

There's enough very good songs for an EP.

The rest is self-indulgent sub-standard shite.

And I'm someone who's generally enthusiastic when the Stones move away from the rock anthems/blues templates that they could probably write in their sleep. a lot of my favourite songs on Stones albums are off the wall tracks like Slave, Continental Drift, Feel On Baby, etc.

These songs simply just aren't anywhere near the standard of what they'd done up to that point and what they would do in the years that followed.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 2:00am
I seem to remember MJ saying - in some interview on a beach, with his trousers shortened - that SMR was a lovely album and then saying  that the Stoads should take more risks. Is it possible that almost everything the band do is interesting on one day or another?

Happy days

IP Logged

Sleepy City
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 1:57pm
I loooove TSMR.... but not quite as much as this chap does!

https://theprisonerofmars.bandcamp.com/album/the-prisoner-of-mars-performs-their...

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2022 at 2:05pm
I like the outtakes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)