Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 900,648 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside
Reply #6825 - Feb 11th, 2024 at 12:26pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Some Guy wrote on Feb 11th, 2024 at 12:01pm:
New Crowes

Niners by 7

[ We Never Get Tired Of Winning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No WAY Mahomes Loses THIS GAME !!!!!!!  ]

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2024 at 10:37am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside
Reply #6826 - Feb 11th, 2024 at 1:44pm
Joey, you dumb ass, Omaha ain't in Kansas....

The Black Crowes - Gone - 2-9-2024 - Las Vegas - Pearl Theater at the Palms

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2024 at 1:51pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6827 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 6:38am

<  -------------------  BACK - TO - BACK  CHAMPIONS  BABY !!!!!!!!!      CHAMPAGNE AGAIN !!!!!!!     ******* WE NEVER    ........   GET TIRED  ........    OF WINNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   *******:

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2024 at 1:40pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6828 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 8:38am
Some Guy wrote on Feb 11th, 2024 at 1:44pm:

<  ----------------- Some Guy , Your Young Joeykins Can Not TAKE All This Winning   ---   Can You Say , " Threepeat? "  :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/a-super-bowl-that-went-from-dud-to-dynamite...

" A Super Bowl That Went From Dud to Dynamite."

By :  Will Leitch

"So many great moments in sports history, moments that seem like destiny in retrospect, were impossible to foresee or even necessarily understand while they were happening. The Falcons’ blowing a 28-3 lead to the Patriots was an all-time Super Bowl moment, but before it went down, the only thing on everyone’s minds was “all right, this game is over, I can go to bed early tonight.” (This included the President at the time.) You never know when something incredible is going to happen

The flip side of that is that you never know when something incredible isn’t going to happen. And for most of Super Bowl LVIII on Sunday, nothing incredible happened. For about two and a half hours, it was arguably the dullest Super Bowl in recent memory. But the game was still close, and you can never go to bed when the game is still close, or you might regret it the next morning — like anyone who missed the end of this one will, because, wouldn’t you know it, something incredible ended up happening.,

The Kansas City Chiefs ended up beating the San Francisco 49ers in overtime, 25-22, on a touchdown pass from Patrick Mahomes to Mecole Hardeman, a player whose fumble against the Bills earlier in the playoffs nearly ended his team’s season. It was only the second overtime game in Super Bowl history — the first being the aforementioned Patriots-Falcons game seven years ago. This one didn’t have the epic swings of that classic (still the most insane Super Bowl I’ve ever seen), but the thing about football is that a great ending can make up for two and a half  hours of muck.

And there was a lot of muck. This Super Bowl had seemed to be set up for greatness: It featured two of the league’s signature franchises, the five-time champion 49ers and the defending champion Chiefs. It starred the 49ers’ Brock Purdy, a more unlikely Super Bowl quarterback underdog story than Tom Brady ever was, and the Chiefs’ Mahomes and Travis Kelce, by far the two most famous players in the NFL. The pregame hype about whether Kelce’s girlfriend — who is perhaps better known for other endeavors — would arrive from a concert in Japan in time for kickoff rivaled the hype for the game itself. The Super Bowl was even in Las Vegas. Epic!

But for most of the night, the two best teams in football were very much not at their best, and the sport, on its biggest night, looked a lot uglier and sloppier than usual. There were penalties and turnovers and blocked kicks and muffed punts and mental mistakes, and no points at all until midway through the second quarter.

For a while, the most exciting moment of the night was a 49ers trick play that was well-conceived and well-executed, but not all that aesthetically pleasing (let alone dramatic). Purdy, the grand underdog story, had a perfectly dull, uninspired, vanilla wafer of a game, as is his wont. (He’s great, but no kid is ever going to pretend to be Brock Purdy in their backyard.) Mahomes, the anointed Next Brady, had perhaps his worst game of the season, thanks in large part to the relentless 49ers defense. Jake Moody and Harrison Butker kicked the two longest field goals in Super Bowl history. (Yawn.)

Oh, and about that couple: The star tight end (and aforementioned boyfriend) only had one showcase moment, and it was when he was so furious at his 65-year-old coach he nearly knocked him over. And — I am sorry to be the one to say this, but I don’t cover the Super Bowl in person every year not to report the news — but when Swift was shown on the jumbotron at Allegiant Stadium, she was undeniably, unabashedly booed by the vast majority of the fans in the stands. True, 49ers fans outnumbered Chiefs fans by a significant amount, and the booing happened before Swift impressively chugged a beer in one swig (the sort of skill that does tend to sway your average football fan), but still: Taylor Swift being jeered by 40,000 people is probably not what the NFL had in mind for the evening.

And then,in the last half of the fourth quarter, suddenly everything came together, turning a stuttering, scattershot game taut. Purdy hit Jauan Jennings — who had thrown for the aforementioned trick play touchdown early and was this close to becoming the least-likely Super Bowl MVP in history — for a touchdown with 6:06 remaining. The Chiefs then ominously blocked the Niners’ extra point, leaving their deficit at only three. The two teams traded field goals the rest of the quarter, sending it into overtime, where the 49ers won the coin toss and, curiously, chose to take the ball first. Under the new NFL overtime rules, both teams are guaranteed to get the ball at least in overtime, and, theoretically, you’d want to get it second so that you’d know how much the other team scored first. 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan’s logic made some sense: If both teams were to score the same number on their first two possessions in overtime, that would give the 49ers the ball on the third and final possession, needing only a field goal to win. But it felt Shanahan outsmarted himself. After San Francisco was (barely) held to a field goal, the Chiefs drove down for the winning touchdown — ending the 49ers’ season and surely leaving Shanahan wondering what if.

As far as the NFL was concerned, this was exactly the right ending, no matter what had preceded it. The Chiefs’ second title in a row makes them the first team to repeat since the Patriots in 2004-05. It keeps Mahomes (increasingly the face of the league) on a Tom Brady-type pace, with his third ring and his second Super Bowl MVP. On the Jumbotron, as the Lombardi Trophy was awarded, Kelce led Chiefs fans in the stands in a rousing, if not particularly melodic, rendition of “Fight For Your Right to Party” as his megastar girlfriend looked on and smiled. No one booed when they saw her this time: Those 49ers fans had long left. The rest of us were pretty pleased we’d stuck around."

Here At The Western World               00:00
The Nightfly                                         06:32
Greenflower Street                              14:35
Teahouse On The Tracks                    18:36
New Frontier                                        25:10
Third World Man                                 30:50
Home At Last                                       37:13
Introductions                                       44:25
Snowbound (I like It too)                    46:25
H Gang                                                 54:32
What I Do                                          1:00:04
Black Cow                                         1:07:03
The Goodbye Look                           1:13:46
Free Bird                                            1:20:47
Tomorrow's Girls                               1:21:09
Misery And The Blues                      1:28:21
Mary Shut The Garden Door           1:37:14
I.G.Y.                                                   1:44:43
Pretzel Logic                                     1:51:25
Viva Viva Rock And Roll                   1:57:47

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2024 at 1:54pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6829 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 10:55am

https://www.wsj.com/sports/football/patrick-mahomes-nfl-super-bowl-chiefs-49ers-...

" The Inevitability of Patrick Mahomes."

" No matter how much time is left or how bleak the situation looks, what happens when the Chiefs quarterback gets the ball with the game on the line is beginning to feel like a formality. "

By : Joshua Robinson and Andrew Beaton

" Patrick Mahomes took over the ball in overtime of the Super Bowl knowing that he had to cobble together a scoring drive or go home. He looked around at his teammates, 75 yards from the end zone, and the identity of the Kansas City Chiefs’ most dangerous weapon was obvious to him.

It was Patrick Mahomes. 

And over the next eight minutes, he delivered yet another drive for the ages, one that will stand as a signature moment in his glittering career. Each time he needed a solution, he knew precisely where to find it. Even with the Chiefs’ season one play from ending as he faced a fourth-and-1, down 22-19 to the San Francisco 49ers, Mahomes trusted himself to dash for a first down. He later ran for another 19 yards, as part of a sequence when his singular wizardry was on full display.

On the 13-play, 75-yard drive he completed every single one of his passes. The last of them ended up in Mecole Hardman’s hands for a Super Bowl-winning touchdown.

“How much confidence is there in the world?” Hardman said. “Whatever that is, that’s what we have in him. The man has done it time and time again.”

It’s been enough for the entire Chiefs’ locker room to take Mahomes’s ability to rescue them as an article of faith.

“I’ve known we’re in every single game I’ve ever played with him,” tight end Travis Kelce said of Mahomes. “That guy’s got magic in his right arm. He found ways to propel us.”

Mahomes also propelled himself into the rarefied air of the game’s all-time great quarterbacks. He’s now only the fifth to win at least three titles, and the first since Tom Brady’s New England Patriots 19 years ago to claim back-to-back championships. Now Mahomes only trails Brady, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana—the latter of whom was on hand to watch Mahomes topple the team he led to four Super Bowl victories.

And while Mahomes still has some way to go to match Brady’s seven rings, the opening act to his career is now completely unprecedented: In his six years as a starter, the Chiefs’ season has never ended before the AFC Championship.

The Chiefs can be sure that as long as they can put the ball back in Mahomes’s hands, they’re always alive—not that this is news to anyone inside the organization. Back in 2020, Kansas City handed him a 10-year deal worth up to $500 million, the richest contract in NFL history. Head coach Andy Reid was also prepared to build the team’s entire offense around Mahomes’s unique set of skills. The kid who was also drafted to play professional baseball can throw off balance, release the ball from strange angles, and scamper out of trouble when he needs to. That kind of versatility was too precious for Reid to change.

“He brings out the best in me, because he lets me be me,” Mahomes said. “I don’t think I’d be the quarterback I am if I didn’t have Coach Reid.”

What made this Super Bowl triumph even more remarkable was that Mahomes didn’t only have to survive one of the hardest roads to a title in NFL history, he also needed to overcome his own team’s roster-building strategy. Two offseasons ago, the Chiefs traded away his best receiver in Tyreek Hill. And their offensive acquisitions since then haven’t been quite up to the same standard. Before he caught Sunday’s winning touchdown, Hardman was cast off by the Jets midway through this season and joined a receiving corps that had repeatedly failed Mahomes.

But that hardly mattered to him once this Super Bowl spilled into overtime. From the moment the Chiefs got the ball following a 49ers field goal, Mahomes turned to his teammates and told them what was about to happen.

“Come on,” he said. “We’re gonna go score.”

When Mahomes makes a promise like that, the players who have witnessed so many of his miracles before have a tendency to believe him.

“Never a doubt in my mind, baby. Never a doubt in my mind,” Kelce said. “We’ve got the best quarterback in the league, we’ve got the best offensive mind in the league.”

This was a peculiar season for the Chiefs. Throughout Mahomes’s entire career, he had always found a way to move the chains with breathtaking plays, no matter who surrounded him. Even when he lost Hill, Kansas City’s offense led the league in both yards and points in 2022. But that completely changed this season, when the Kansas City attack went through spurts when it looked completely broken.

It wasn’t difficult to identify one of the reasons why. The Chiefs led the NFL in a statistic no team wants to be first in: dropped passes.

So when the Chiefs fell behind 10-0 on Sunday and repeatedly stalled on offense early in this Super Bowl, it wasn’t out of the norm. The big mistakes—such as when running back Isiah Pacheco fumbled the ball right after Mahomes hit Hardman on a perfectly placed 52-yard strike—had been there all season.

But just as he had over the course of the postseason, Mahomes kept doing what he does best: putting his teammates in position to succeed. In the second half of Kansas City’s 27-24 divisional round win over the Buffalo Bills, he hit Marquez Valdes-Scantling with beautiful tosses on key drives. Valdes-Scantling, during the regular season, had been one of the team’s main problems—he notably let a potentially game-winning bomb fall through his arms late in a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

The next week, in the AFC Championship, Mahomes did it again. Facing third-and-9 against the Baltimore Ravens late in the fourth quarter, he hit Valdes-Scantling on a 32-yard strike to ice the 17-10 victory.

Then, late in the Super Bowl, Mahomes continued with the same mindset: if he kept on making plays, it would eventually all work out.

“To have the ball in our hands,” wide receiver Rashee Rice said, “we just knew we were in control.”

Even the final play, when Hardman appeared wide open, contained a subtle stroke of brilliance from Mahomes. To help his receiver, who had just 14 catches in six regular season games for Kansas City, Mahomes moved the defense with his eyes before rolling to his right and hitting Hardman for the score.

“That’s a little risky always,” Mahomes said afterward.

The gamble paid off. Seconds later, confetti was flying all over the field—and Mahomes had won his third Super Bowl. "

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:19am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6830 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:14am
Some Guy wrote on Feb 11th, 2024 at 12:01pm:
New Crowes

Niners by 7

" Summer 1989 Tracklist:

0:18 Band on the run
5:26 Got to get you into my life
09:03 Rough ride
14:08 The long and winding road
17:51 The fool on the hill

22:34 Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band
26:19 Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band (Reprise)
27:45 Good day sunshine
30:03 I saw her standing there
33:55 Put it there
36:48 Eleanor Rigby
39:24 Back in the U.S.S.R.
42:51 This one
46:47 Can't buy me love
50:00 Coming up
55:08 Let it be
59:05 Live and let die
1:02:20 Hey Jude
1:10:35 Yesterday
1:12:27 Get back
1:16:22 Golden slumbers
1:18:01 Carry that weight
1:19:45 The end
1:23:30 Birthday "

***** Poster's Note : The Two Highlighted Songs Are HIGHLY Recommended and are Dedicated to All American Baby Boomers  *****

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2024 at 11:30am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6831 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:39am

< --------------- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/united-states/why-america-cant-have-it-all

" Why America Can’t Have It All."

" Washington Must Choose Between Primacy and Prioritizing."

By :  Stephen Wertheim

February 14, 2024

" The Biden administration took office intending to inject strategic focus into U.S. foreign policy. The president and his team promised to end the United States’ forever wars and make the country’s international engagements serve the needs of a disaffected public. In its first year, the administration terminated the two-decade-old war in Afghanistan, pledged to “right-size” the U.S. military presence in the Middle East, and even pursued a “stable and predictable” relationship with Russia. By placing less emphasis on certain regions, the logic went, Washington could concentrate on what most affects U.S. interests: managing competition with China and tackling transnational threats such as climate change and pandemics.

Today that vision lies in tatters. The United States is now immersed in multiple wars in Europe and the Middle East, precisely where the administration sought to keep things quiet. Meanwhile, relations with China and Russia have deteriorated so strikingly as to raise the realistic prospect of the first major-power conflict since 1945.

One can hardly blame U.S. policymakers for the turmoil. It was Russian President Vladimir Putin who decided to invade Ukraine in 2022, and Hamas that chose to attack Israel in 2023. No one had a crystal ball to predict these shocking actions years in advance. Yet American officials bear responsibility for making a failed wager of their own. They hoped entire regions of the world would sit still because they preferred to turn their gaze elsewhere, even as the United States remained ensconced in those regions’ security arrangements. The Biden administration wanted to prioritize what in its view mattered most while declining to disentangle the United States from what mattered less.

This is a form of wishful thinking—perhaps as naive as invading countries to liberate them—and ought to be recognized as such. The Biden administration is not the first to indulge in it. The rationale for American global dominance after the Cold War, as articulated by the Pentagon in 1992, was that by maintaining military primacy in most world regions, the United States would suppress competition among other countries, dissuade challengers from emerging, and keep the peace at a reasonable cost to Americans. But the unipolar era is over. Going forward, the options are stark: the United States can selectively retrench and control costs and risks, or it can stick with global primacy and lurch from crisis to crisis.

From his inauguration through the autumn of 2021, U.S. President Joe Biden appeared to consider pulling U.S. forces back from the Middle East and possibly elsewhere. He initially directed the Defense Department to review the United States’ global force posture and align it with the priorities defined by the White House. Then, in August 2021, he ended the war in Afghanistan. Yet specific circumstances had largely forced Biden’s hand: along with an agreement reached by his predecessor to withdraw from the country, he inherited so few troops there that he would have had to escalate the failing and unpopular war effort if he did not pull out. By November, the Pentagon had announced that the U.S. force posture, having been duly reviewed, was basically correct.

Ever since, the Biden administration has avoided making structural reductions to any portion of U.S. global primacy—to the political objectives, defense commitments, and military positions that Washington has accumulated over eight decades. At the same time, it has continued to try to set priorities, privileging security requirements in the Indo-Pacific above those in Europe and the Middle East. In its National Security Strategy, released in October 2022, the terms “priority,” “priorities,” and “prioritize” appear 23 times, even as the United States’ globe-spanning alliances and partnerships are described as “our most important strategic asset,” tantamount to ends in themselves. In essence, the administration wished to keep certain regions off the president’s desk while remaining the paramount security actor in those same places.

There are two possible ways to make sure low-priority regions stay that way, in the absence of any changes to U.S. objectives, commitments, or positions. First, the United States could employ deft diplomacy to accommodate the grievances of actors such as Iran and Russia that seek to revise the status quo in their favor. But U.S. diplomats could offer only modest measures if they were prohibited from paring back the United States’ core ambitions, security partnerships, or forward deployments. Alternatively, the United States could try to convince its allies and partners that they, not Washington, would have to take primary responsibility for managing any conflicts that arose in their own neighborhoods. Yet if the United States cared so much that it chose to remain the region’s premier military power, why would it care so little that it would stand back in a crisis? The message would be awfully difficult to make credible.

In its first year, the Biden administration opted for a halfhearted combination of both inadequate options. It attempted to mollify rivals through diplomacy and coax allies and partners to step up—in practice falling back on the hope that the status quo would somehow hold. In the Middle East, Biden initially aimed to rejoin the nuclear deal with Iran that his predecessor had abandoned in 2018 and gave the cold shoulder to Saudi Arabia. But the administration could never decide whether it wanted to pay the political costs of reviving the accord, and negotiations fell apart as Washington pursued a “longer and stronger” agreement and Tehran sought new concessions and guarantees that the United States would not withdraw again in the future. The Saudi snub, mostly atmospheric, was easily reversed by Biden’s second year.

More fundamentally, the Middle East is so complex and unstable, comprising numerous states and armed groups able and willing to challenge the status quo, that even ambitious diplomatic efforts to ease tensions among some parties end up exacerbating tensions among others. Consider the fate of the Abraham Accords, the U.S.-brokered agreements between Israel and a handful of Arab countries to normalize relations. By embracing the accords and seeking last summer to expand them to include a deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia, the Biden administration was in a sense promoting integration and peace, but only among opponents of Iran and its proxies. And the move came at the price of diminishing the political prospects of Palestinians—who, under the Arab Peace Initiative of 2002, were supposed to achieve statehood as a condition of Arab governments normalizing relations with Israel. The Palestinians’ vanishing political horizon was likely an impetus for Hamas’s attack in southern Israel on October 7.

The Biden administration never put as low a priority on Europe as it did on the Middle East. In its first year, however, it reached out to Moscow in the hopes of establishing a “stable and predictable” relationship with Russia that could permit Washington to focus on strategic competition with China. Biden held a summit with Putin in June 2021, and the two countries launched a strategic stability dialogue with the aim of reducing the risk of nuclear war and enhancing arms control. But the White House underestimated Russia’s revisionist ambitions and refused to negotiate over NATO’s relationship with Ukraine, an issue that would have had to be addressed for there to be any chance of getting Putin to shelve his invasion plans.

Eager to embrace U.S. allies after the Trump years, the Biden administration did little to encourage European states to bear the bulk of the transatlantic defense burden. “America is back,” the president proclaimed. Rather than capitalize on the possibility that Donald Trump might return to office, Biden positioned himself as the restorer of normality after a Trumpian aberration. The United States remained Europe’s security provider of first resort, one crisis away from having to manage the response.

The point is not that the Biden administration could have made better diplomatic efforts, short of retrenchment, that would have prevented it from ultimately getting diverted to Europe or the Middle East. To the contrary, any such attempt was bound to fail. The accommodations necessary to satisfy U.S. rivals, and the inducements required to get allies and partners to solve problems themselves, would compel the United States to practice some measure of retrenchment. Only by pulling back—by trimming its political objectives and defense obligations, and the military posture that supports them—can Washington plausibly keep Europe and the Middle East crisis-free, at least for the United States. If this was true when Biden took office, it is only more applicable now that Russia is more isolated from and hostile toward the West and the Israel-Hamas war has triggered widespread conflict in the Middle East.

As its plans for prioritization have come undone, the Biden administration has improvised something of a fallback, indicating the direction it may travel in a second term. In lieu of retrenching, it is seeking to build “connective tissue” between U.S. allies in Europe and Asia. By knitting the two theaters together, the argument goes, Washington can be more effective in each one and stimulate what Jake Sullivan, the U.S. national security adviser, claims is “the greatest amount of burden sharing in decades.”

Unfortunately, although cooperation among allies is welcome, this approach is unlikely to reduce or limit the overall costs and risks the United States bears for defense. To keep its burdens from growing, allies would have to assume responsibilities and develop capabilities that replace those of the United States and outpace the threats to regional security from China and Russia. In neither region does this seem to be happening. Boosts to European and Japanese military spending, although substantial, still translate into limited capabilities, which are meant to augment more than replace U.S. forces and fall short of offsetting China’s rising power and Russia’s more aggressive intentions. The White House, for its part, has not articulated metrics by which to gauge the success of its cross-regional strategy over time. The effort may end up providing a convenient alibi for maintaining U.S. global primacy in full and giving up on prioritizing altogether.

Burden sharing is no substitute for burden shifting. If the United States truly wants to set priorities according to its interests—in other words, to act strategically—there is no viable alternative to pulling back from the places that matter less. Washington cannot reap the benefits of caring less without actually caring less and downsizing U.S. objectives, commitments, and positions accordingly. Rather than lump overseas areas together into a grand, U.S.-led battle space, Washington should differentiate among regions and establish clear divisions of labor between itself and its security partners. This means systematically disentangling the United States from the Middle East, shifting most of the European defense burden onto European allies, and working to establish competitive coexistence with China so that the political and economic relationship between the two countries stabilizes while the United States continues to use military power to prevent a Chinese bid for regional hegemony.

Such a formula may constitute the only basis for forging a new foreign policy consensus in American politics to replace the tottering primacist paradigm. It could become broadly acceptable to the progressive left, with its antiwar and antiauthoritarian leanings; to centrists who seek great-power competition without catastrophe; and to the “America first” right, opposed to Chinese belligerence and the free-riding of allies. If, by contrast, the United States continues to chase global primacy even as that endeavor becomes untethered from politics at home, it will stake too much of the world’s security and its own prestige on the outcome of each U.S. election. Finding a durable foreign policy consensus is essential to sustaining any coherent strategy and keeping commitments credible.

For the first time in the post–Cold War era, establishing the desirability of retrenchment might be the easy part. Implementing a course correction, however, will be extremely difficult, given the political interests and ideological axioms that currently support primacy. A president would need to take office determined to retrench and prepared to spend political capital to do so. He or she could not be dissuaded by setbacks, such as the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan after the U.S. withdrawal. A cadre of senior officials would have to formulate policy frameworks spanning four to eight years and ensure that the bureaucracy buys in and follows through. The administration could not let the momentary absence of crises keep it from advancing its agenda. For example, the Trump and Biden administrations should have removed U.S. ground forces from Iraq and Syria once their mission to defeat the Islamic State was complete, instead of leaving those troops in place as ready targets for pro-Iranian militias once tensions mounted. And when crises do arise, the administration should turn them into opportunities to pull the United States further out rather than drag it deeper in.

In the Middle East, even a responsible pullback could have destabilizing consequences in the short run. A retrenchment president would need to explain that the region’s volatility illustrates why the United States is moving to a largely offshore role, and that the Middle East must have a chance to find its own equilibrium, as the presence of multiple middle-weight powers allows it to do. By retaining a few air and naval bases, perhaps in Bahrain and Qatar, the United States could continue to secure the maritime commons, its vital interest in the region that is permanent rather than circularly created by its presence there. Because the United States lacks treaty allies in the region, aside from Turkey, the president could downgrade security partnerships into more neutral and transactional relationships without abrogating legal obligations.

Retrenchment from Europe presents a different challenge: the downside risk is more deleterious to U.S. interests but the odds of an ideal outcome—an orderly transition to European leadership of European defense—are higher than they are in the Middle East. The war in Ukraine has made the transition more feasible by spurring European allies to spend more on defense and, despite Biden’s efforts, by showing them the danger of depending on the whims of Washington. While Russian forces remain concentrated in Ukraine, the transatlantic alliance has a unique opportunity to shift the bulk of the defense burden onto the EU and the European members of NATO without allowing Moscow a window of opportunity for further aggression. A retrenchment president would strike a new bargain that keeps the United States within NATO but over a decade steadily replaces most U.S. forces and capabilities with European ones.

Barring a volte-face, the Biden administration will not adopt this approach if it wins a second term. But it should, and its successors still could. The revival of confidence in U.S. primacy following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has proved short-lived, and the generations of Americans with no memory of the Cold War are coming into power. To preserve the possibility of responsible retrenchment, however, Biden must not take on new defense obligations. A treaty binding the United States to defend Saudi Arabia, as he is now weighing, would damage U.S. interests, even in exchange for the normalization of Saudi relations with Israel and Israeli steps toward a Palestinian state. The administration should also hold firm against inviting Ukraine to join NATO and instead prepare to equip the country to defend itself over the long run.

If Trump returns to the White House next year, he could potentially become a retrenchment president, but he would have to change much of his outlook and conduct. In his first term, U.S. alliance commitments and defense spending only expanded. For all his ally-bashing, Trump mainly aimed to wring a better deal out of existing security arrangements, not to retract them. Unless he demonstrates a stronger and more consistent preference for retrenchment and appoints appropriate personnel, a second Trump administration might well resemble the first. Trump’s pledge to restore “peace through strength”—his mantra on the campaign trail—partakes in the very fantasy that has brought U.S. foreign policy to this low point. In fact, no amount of American strength will make the rest of the world cower in fear and accept peace on Washington’s terms.

And that is just fine. The United States does not need global military dominance in order to thrive. What it must do is rescue its liberal democracy, rebuild its party politics, and restore the confidence of its people. Clinging to primacy sets back this great task. It creates a foreign policy that is perpetually out of control, and a country that is losing its sense of self-control. More than any major power, the United States, endlessly innovative, militarily peerless, shielded by two oceans and nuclear deterrents, should be master of its fate. It should look out at the world and see opportunities to seize and choices to make. Great nations set priorities. "

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2024 at 9:39am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #6832 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 2:23pm
Shots Fired KC victory parade.

https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city-chiefs/super-bowl-parade-shooter-police/

Trump/Santos 2024

New Crowes!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6833 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 10:21am

< ----------------- Some Guy , Your Young Joeykins Has Received Thousands Of Chiefs' Super Bowl Victory Congratulatory Messages And Even Emperor Xi Himself Sent Over Five Pallets Of Grey Goose Vodka ( A SOLID One Week Supply ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  " I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!! "  :

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2024 at 8:25am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6834 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 4:03pm

<  ----------------------- Something Is DEFINITELY UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ****** Five  ,  FIVE Separate Aircraft Carriers In The Region ?!  ...  !!!!!!!!!!     " Xi Don't SURF !!!!!!  "  ********** :

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/5098122

" US deploying 5 aircraft carriers in western Pacific."

" USS Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ronald Reagan, Carl Vinson, Theodore Roosevelt are all in Pacific. "

" TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The U.S. is deploying five aircraft carriers in the western Pacific in a move analysts say is meant to send a message of deterrence to escalating military activities in the region by China and North Korea.

Of the U.S. Navy's active fleet of 11 aircraft carriers, three are currently performing missions in the western Pacific and two more are set to arrive soon, reported the South China Morning Post. This will mark the first time that five U.S. carriers from the current fleet have operated in the western Pacific in the same year.

According to observations from the U.S. Naval Institute's Fleet and Marine Tracker on Feb. 5, the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln of the U.S. Pacific Fleet was detected departing from its homeport in San Diego, California, heading toward the western Pacific.

The U.S. aircraft carrier USS George Washington is also expected to be deployed in the western Pacific, replacing the USS Ronald Reagan. The latter will depart from the Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan and head to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Washington for maintenance and repairs.

The USS Carl Vinson and USS Theodore Roosevelt were deployed in Guam and Hawaii, respectively on Feb. 12 and are expected to remain in the western Pacific until April and July.

Benjamin Barton, associate professor at the University of Nottingham’s Malaysia campus, told the newspaper that the deployment was intended to show that Washington is focusing on the Indo-Pacific region, despite the Israel-Hamas war and Russian invasion of Ukraine. Barton also said that "containing China within the region remains a top priority, even if there’s been a warming of ties bilaterally."

Collin Koh, a senior fellow at Singapore’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, told the outlet that tensions in the Taiwan Strait and South China Sea have shown no signs of easing. Koh said the rise in U.S. aircraft carrier missions and military exercises is meant to "both reassure regional allies and partners, as well as deter adversaries such as China and North Korea."

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2024 at 3:53pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #6835 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 8:45am

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6836 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 12:41pm
Some Guy wrote on Feb 21st, 2024 at 8:45am:

< ---------- OMFG !!!!   

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-2707425/?page=1

" China's Infiltrators: 'They Are Coming Here to Kill Us' "

By : Gordon G. Chang

" Chinese attackers are already in America, more are arriving by the day, and they are armed.

Videos posted to X (Twitter) show Chinese migrants firing pistols. One video is of a Chinese female with a sniper rifle.

You would not, within weeks of entering your new homeland, be sharpening your skills to kill.

You would not be thinking of killing unless... that is what you came to do.

The videos posted on X depict a sandy location. Blaine Holt, a retired Air Force general living in Idaho, knows Chinese migrants are taking target practice in his state as well.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/20388/china-infiltrators-us

The Chinese Communist Party is currently taking advantage of lax border controls to put the infrastructure in place in America to attack us from our own soil.

Gatestone Institute Distinguished Senior Fellow Gordon G. Chang recently outlined a number of very compelling signs that such attacks are in the works. One is video posted on X showing recently arrived Chinese migrants firing pistols, including a Chinese woman operating a sniper rifle.

Chinese citizens cannot possess firearms and the migrants had only been on U.S. soil for three weeks. As Chang points out, it seems like an odd way to spend one’s time immediately after arriving to a new country with nothing to your name. Most migrants are worried about where they will live and where their next meal will come from; working on shooting skills normally doesn’t fit into these plans.

He wrote: “You would not, within weeks of entering your new homeland, be sharpening your skills to kill. You would not be thinking of killing unless... that is what you came to do.”

This is supported by comments by retired Air Force General Blaine Holt, who reports that Chinese migrants are also carrying out target practice in Idaho, where he lives.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2024-02-15-chinese-agents-mexican-border-attacks.htm...

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2024 at 7:03am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6837 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:05pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-owes-americans-some-answers-on-what-he-would-...

" Trump Owes Americans Some Answers on Foreign Policy. "

" If the former president intends an historic redefinition of U.S. leadership in a world of aggressors, he should tell the voters."

BY : Daniel Henninger

" Two significant political events will intersect Saturday—the South Carolina Republican presidential primary and the second anniversary of Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. The coincidence goes beyond this weekend.

In the grand opera that congressional Republicans have become, no major legislation can pass until Donald Trump sings. The Trump-denounced border bill failed two weeks ago. Last week brought the unusual spectacle of South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who only last month called on Joe Biden to bomb Iran, voting against the bill to fund military aid to Ukraine and Israel. As did Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, heretofore a prominent supporter of Ukraine. Though the bill passed with 22 Republicans in favor, its future with Republicans in the House isn’t clear because Mr. Trump’s thinking on Ukraine’s future is unclear.

The people of Ukraine themselves must be starting to feel like the gladiators who fought in a walled colosseum to entertain the Romans. They await a thumbs up or down on their fate from Mr. Trump. So which will it be, Mr. Trump—let Ukraine defend itself, or let it go?

At the Munich Security Conference last weekend, Ohio Republican Sen. J.D. Vance, a Trump surrogate, suggested his camp’s thumb is turning downward on U.S. military support for Ukraine. “We simply do not have manufacturing capacity to support a ground war in Eastern Europe indefinitely,” he said. “And I think it’s incumbent upon leaders to articulate this for their populations.”

Some believe that if the U.S. pulled its support, that would compel Ukraine to raise the white flag and reach an accommodation with Mr. Putin. I think it’s more likely they would fight until the last Ukrainian man, woman and child are obliterated by the Russian army. They’d rather drown in Europe’s biggest bloodbath since World War II than submit.

We’re not there yet, but we’ve been at this decisional crossroads before. That would be the Munich Agreement of 1938. Historical parallels are never perfect, as Casey Michel described in these pages recently in an op-ed about the agreement. But Munich is worth thinking about. Mr. Putin’s actions and justifications evoke Hitler’s in the 1930s.

In 1936, Hitler’s military entered the German Rhineland on the French-Belgian border, an act forbidden by the Treaty of Versailles. France and England didn’t object. In 1938, Hitler annexed Austria, an independent state, declaring it an “Anschluss,” or political unification. Mr. Putin’s 2014 invasion and annexation of the Crimean peninsula in Ukraine was the start of a Russian Anschluss.

Months later in the Munich Agreement, British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, attempting to avert war, conceded that Hitler could occupy the German-speaking territories of Czechoslovakia in return for promising no further territorial expansions. Mr. Putin has justified his invasion of eastern Ukraine in part on the basis of Russian speakers there and has made similar threats against Latvia on behalf of Russian-speaking minorities. Last week the Russian police put Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas on its wanted list for the “desecration of historical [Russian] memory.”

Mr. Trump has refused to debate GOP primary opponent Nikki Haley, arguing that he doesn’t need to put his lead at risk. It is not acceptable, though, for Mr. Trump to deny American voters a more concrete idea of his policies toward Ukraine or the world’s other concurrent troubles.

For starters, what did Mr. Trump mean when he said he could end the war between Russia and Ukraine in 24 hours? Does he in fact mean Mr. Putin should be allowed to annex eastern Ukraine? Would he withdraw the U.S. from the roughly 50-nation Ukraine Defense Contact Group? Would he cede Russian-speaking areas of the Baltics to Mr. Putin? I would ask Mr. Trump if he thought the Munich Agreement was a mistake in 1938, or just poorly negotiated.

His recent remark at a rally that he’d let the Russians do “whatever the hell they want” was considered a negotiating tactic to make Europe spend more on defense. But I would like to hear Mr. Trump’s thoughts on related issues about the U.S. world role.

In May 2019, as president, Mr. Trump announced the end of military exercises with South Korea. Would he consider moving toward a more formal posture of armed neutrality, whereby the U.S. would have no formal alliances, such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or partnerships with Japan, South Korea, the Philippines and Australia?

Mr. Trump says he personally can negotiate agreements with Mr. Putin and China’s Xi Jinping. Does he think those pacts make the current push to increase spending on U.S. defense unnecessary? Mr. Putin denied this week that Russia intends to deploy nuclear weapons in space. Does Mr. Trump believe him?

Mr. Trump may yet instruct House and Senate Republicans to end support for Ukraine. That would be a historic redefinition of U.S. leadership in a world of aggressors. If so, Mr. Trump has an obligation to tell American voters why 2024 won’t be another 1938."

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:33pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6838 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:11pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-over-the-top-epidemic-politics-polarization-hou...

" The Over-the-Top Epidemic."

" From Congress to protest to golf, we have become engulfed in personal excess."

By : Daniel Henninger

" OMG! When did America’s epidemic of over-the-top behavior start?

The U.S. has always been a producer of extroverts, but how all of a sudden have we become engulfed with people, events and images of unrestrained excess?

Conventional wisdom holds that Joe Biden scratched out his 2020 win because a national vote was the only way the American people could say they wanted a return to normal after absorbing both the pandemic and the 45th presidency.

Normal? Today, nothing’s normal in the most vaguely agreed-on sense of that much-loved condition. Instead, the word most people use to describe almost anything in the news is “crazy.”

Let’s forget for a moment that the craziness includes having a U.S. president who doesn’t know Egypt from Mexico. A larger question remains: What about us?

This newspaper recently ran an essay titled “You Don’t Have to Be a Jerk to Succeed.” Maybe, but it’s hard not to notice the rising tide of jerk-like behavior. Members of Congress, protesters in the street, TikTok videos, mindless shooters, even golf tournaments—something in the cultural mists has convinced many that Americans want nonstop over-the-top acting out. And so it is everywhere.

Acting out is associated with young children or teenagers, who do so because they haven’t developed self-control. But increasingly, acting out has become the norm for, I use the term loosely, “adults.” It used to be possible to tell people to “grow up.” Now their goal in life is to grow down.

Medicine has a theory to describe the behaviorally challenged. It’s called “emotional dysregulation.” In a world seeking explanations for what the heck is going on, this will be my go-to answer: emotional dysregulation.

The Cleveland Clinic provides a definition: “Emotional dysregulation is a brain-related symptom that means you have trouble managing your feelings and emotions. It’s often a sign of conditions that affect your brain or differences in how your brain developed or works today.” Note the suggestion that emotional dysregulation involves a basic rewiring of the human brain. If this is true, our idea of what is normal may be history. The dysregulated barbarians are finally over the gates.

Consider the melodrama last January over electing Kevin McCarthy House speaker. It seemed like high political theater for one evening. When it ended, most people expected Congress would get back to business. We now see that the Republican Gang of Eight had actually engineered a vote to vacate Congress itself, which seems to have been replaced by the permanent camera-vamping of its members from right to left. Like small children, these representatives and senators won’t shut up until you pay attention to them. Even then, they just pout.

Political protesting has become mostly a tantrum. Anti-Israel protesters threw paint on the lions in front of the New York Public Library. They glued themselves to the street to stop real children from watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Last week Brown University students went on a hunger strike because the trustees refused to talk to them about Gaza. One can see them 15 years ago telling their mothers, “I won’t eat it! I hate you!”

No offense intended to the touchy Trumpians, but it’s clear that Donald Trump recognizes the value of over-the-topism. His rally last weekend in South Carolina drew attention to his willingness to sell out allies in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization over money. But what struck me was his seemingly tossed off—but surely planned—choice of words, that the Russians could do “whatever the hell they want.” Mr. Trump understands the appeal of nonrestraint.

Golf had endured as a refuge of solace. That’s over. Last weekend’s Waste Management tournament in Scottsdale, Ariz., was a low in the sport’s admirable history—and a portent of where professional golf is willing to go to fit in with what it thinks is the public’s desire for unbounded spectacle.

For several years, this tournament had been building toward what happened last Saturday—a debacle of tens of thousands of drunken young “men” (hardly any women were visible in the wasted crowd), showering the putting greens with tossed plastic beer cups, doing an “angel” in a sand trap and making a mockery of the playing itself.

That wasn’t the worst of it. The normally adult announcers for NBC and the Golf Channel kept saying what “fun” this tournament was, even as the event degraded, culminating with NBC’s analysts-of-the-future, Kevin Kisner and Smylie Kaufman, egging on the mob in the stands. Apologies for comparing this sort of thing to acting-out children. Your kids aren’t this disgusting.

Trying to discover how we arrived here, most roads lead back to social media, a world of relentless, uncountable acts of self-exaggeration. A friend recently suggested that many people no longer have any idea how to just “be.” Formerly known as behave."

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:29pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6839 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 8:37am
Some Guy wrote on Feb 21st, 2024 at 8:45am:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/02/21/china-economy-demographics-us...

" Opinion  Xi is tanking China’s economy. That’s bad for the U.S. "

By  : the Editorial Board

" For the past decade, Americans have worried increasingly about China, not least because Chinese President Xi Jinping has centralized power, silenced critics, stalled private-sector reforms and taken an increasingly combative posture toward the rest of the world. China was set to overtake the United States as the world’s largest economic power by 2035, Mr. Xi predicted; China would then retake its rightful position at the center of world affairs.

Instead, Mr. Xi’s China is less free, less prosperous and less competently governed than it would have been had he taken a different course — one not inspired by rivalry with the West or fear of his own people. Economic and demographic data show that a China-dominated world is even less likely than it ever was. Economists have started revising their predictions on when China might overtake the U.S. economically — and if it ever will.

Despite Mr. Xi lifting the world’s most draconian covid-19 restrictions at the end of 2022, construction in China has slowed, manufacturing prices have declined and consumer spending has flattened. China’s stock market has lost $6 trillion in value in three years. A dozen cities and provinces have been told to halt construction of infrastructure projects — cutting into their main source of revenue.

The biggest economic threat has come from the slowdown in the property market. Building has slowed, and more than 50 major developers are either out of cash or have defaulted. Fears abound of insolvencies leaving millions of unfinished housing projects. Buyers who prepaid fear their money might be lost.

China’s demography also poses a daunting challenge. China had 500,000 fewer babies in 2023 than the year before and recorded 11.1 million deaths last year. The population overall dropped by 2 million, and the decline is expected to continue. China has one of the world’s fastest-growing elderly populations, with a shrinking labor force. Many Western countries and Japan are also aging. But the problem is happening faster in China and at a much earlier stage of its development — the country is getting old before it has gotten rich.

China recorded a respectable 5.2 percent economic growth rate last year, but the real rate is lower when adjusted for falling prices. Rather than being an economic juggernaut, China seems likely to be entering a period of deflation, the sorts of conditions that led to Japan’s “lost decade.”

In the face of these challenges, China’s leadership appears paralyzed. The country’s economic policymakers were once well-respected. But Mr. Xi’s centralized rule appears to have stymied decision-making.

China has tools to use. A stabilization fund could help shore up lagging equities markets (an idea floated, then abandoned). The government could take over unfinished properties to ensure their completion and to guarantee the prepayments of prospective buyers. It could announce new measures for restructuring local government debt. To bolster consumer spending, they could launch a stimulus program to pass more money directly to people.

To deal with its aging population, China could also widen its meager social safety net for the elderly, including pensions — now scant — and increase health insurance. This could help the economy now; people save rather than spend because of the lack of government support. China should also rethink its official retirement age, now a low 60 for men and an even lower (and unfair) 55 for women.

But Mr. Xi refuses. He rejects a stimulus program of cash transfers to people as “welfarism.” A committed Communist, he has an aversion to the private sector and channels government support preferentially to inefficient state-owned enterprises. Security concerns and ideological purity trump economic growth. To reduce the falling birthrate, he prefers exhorting young women to stay home and have more babies as their patriotic duty. He seems to prefer surrounding himself with yes-men and Communist loyalists than sound economic technocrats who understand markets.

Some Americans might feel relieved at China’s travails; the country will be less capable of funding its military buildup, conducting trade warfare or cornering important global markets. That would be shortsighted.

The United States and the world should instead hope that China’s leaders sharply adjust course. China remains a top U.S. trading partner (alongside Canada and Mexico). The U.S. agricultural sector is especially dependent on a strong Chinese market, including for soybeans, corn and, increasingly, beef. Many trade-dependent U.S. allies, particularly in Asia, also need Chinese consumers.

But the needed course correction would require Mr. Xi and the Chinese Communist Party to acknowledge that they have failed in their effort to prove that bellicose authoritarianism and long-term prosperity are compatible. Since they treat Western countries as adversaries, they see liberalism as chaotic and threatening. Indeed, they are finding that, to paraphrase Winston Churchill, it is the worst option, except for all the others."

[ Emperor Xi Only Has One Way OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ]

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2024 at 8:51am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6840 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 7:24am

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2024-02-24/President-Xi-replies-to-letter-from-studen
ts-of-an-Iowa-school-1rsk6fWdzUc/p.html

" President Xi replies to letter from Iowa's Muscatine High School students."

" On the occasion of the Chinese Lantern Festival of the Year of the Dragon, Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday replied to a letter from the students of Muscatine High School in the U.S. state of Iowa, and sent them New Year cards in return. The students visited China in late January.

In the letter, Xi extended holiday wishes to the teachers and students of the school and encouraged more American youths to come to China for exchanges and study.

Xi noted that the students' letter featured beautifully written Chinese characters as well as vividly hand-painted Chinese dragon, also known as the "Loong," the Great Wall and pandas.

The Chinese president said he felt happy for the students as they visited several Chinese cities, where they saw pandas, tasted Chinese delicacies, experienced Chinese culture, and had a lot of fun.

Learning that the U.S. students have made many Chinese friends during the trip, and invited those friends to visit their hometown in the United States, Xi said he found their friendship very touching.

Citing a Chinese saying that reads "seeing is believing," Xi said the warm and friendly American people he met during his first visit to the United States in 1985 have given him an indelible impression.

Likewise, it is believed that through this exchange visit, the students can gain a more intuitive and in-depth understanding of China and the Chinese people, Xi said.

The Chinese president encouraged the Muscatine High School students to revisit China and encouraged more American youths to come to China for exchanges and study, where they can get first-hand experience of a real China in a multi-dimensional and comprehensive manner, foster genuine friendship with Chinese youths and learn from each other so that they can jointly contribute to a stronger friendship between the peoples of the two countries.

Noting that the Chinese Lantern Festival has long been an important moment for the Chinese people to express their hope for a better life, Xi extended his best holiday wishes to the teachers and students of the school.

During his trip to the United States in November 2023, Xi announced a program to invite 50,000 American youths in the next five years to China for exchanges and study.

Sarah Lande, a friend of Xi in the U.S. state of Iowa, wrote a letter recently to Xi, in which she expressed the hope that Muscatine High School students can join the program.

With Xi's support, more than 20 Muscatine High School students paid an exchange visit to Beijing, Shanghai and Hebei Province, among other places in China from Jan. 24 to 30, becoming the first group of American students to visit China under the program.

One of their gifts to Xi upon their arrival in Beijing was a school flag written with Chinese characters "Grandpa Xi, Here We Are."

After the visit, the students wrote a letter to the Chinese president, sharing with him their joy during their China trip and thanking him for the invitation."

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2024 at 9:03am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6841 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 8:50am

<  ----------------- Discuss !!!!!!!! Agree ?!   ....... Disagree ?! .. !!!!!! :

https://omid-malekan.medium.com/charlie-munger-was-not-a-great-capitalist-in-my-
book-cf036e2807ef

" Charlie Munger Was Not a Great Capitalist in My Book."

By : omid.malekan

" Charlie Munger’s passing has inspired a lot of coverage on his partnership with Warren Buffet, much of it fawning, painting the duo not just as great investors, but also good people, and thus great capitalists. I want to push back on the latter claim, at least in the Emmersonian sense of capitalism, where meritocracy and fair play lead to “those who do good doing well.”

Munger and Buffet would have lost most of their wealth in 2008. Most people remember their role in the Great Financial Crisis as the rescuers of Goldman Sachs, making a timely investment that would net billions. But Berkshire Hathaway went into that crisis heavily exposed to imperlied companies. Names like Wells Fargo and Amex made up 40% of its portfolio, and additional exposure came from its insurance holdings. The market knew all of this and responded by cutting the value of Berkshire’s own stock in half.

Things could have really spiraled for the duo — Buffet himself predicted the crash could have been worse than 1929 — and that, as the saying goes, is how a capitalist cookie crumbles. In my definition of capitalism, those who live by the speculative sword can also die by it. Buffett and Munger made a lot of money on the way up but stood to lose badly on the way down.

But that’s not how things work, at least not for the kind of people who have the Treasury Secretary on speed dial.

The kinder interpretation of Buffett and Munger’s role in the subsequent intervention goes like this: concerned about the impact of the deepening crisis on everyone, they reached out to their contacts in government and convinced them to “do the right thing.” There’s even a famous anecdote of a late night phone call from Warren Buffet to Hank Paulson. The powers that be responded, and the economy was saved.

Here’s a different interpretation: a politically connected billionaire on the verge of losing his shirt called a government official — one who used to be the CEO of the company he now owned a chunk of — and convinced him to use taxpayer funds to prop up the stock market, particularly his stocks.

The facts of what happened aren’t in dispute, Secretary Paulson rallied other policymakers into investing hundreds of billions of dollars into companies like Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, and American Express. Small businesses and individuals who were also in distress got nothing.

History now views the bailouts as the correct course of action, but history is written by the winners. As if to remind everyone of this, Munger would later go on an epic rant, telling ordinary people that they should be grateful for the bailouts, but also against government handouts. Handouts are for the losers.

Campaigning directly for policymakers to intervene wasn’t Warren Buffett’s only contribution to the government response. He also went on CNBC after making the Goldman deal — but before congress decided to bail out the banks — and said “If I didn’t think the government was going to act, I would not be doing anything this week. I might be trying to undo things this week.”

Buffett and Munger are two of the most studied investors in history. Book stores used to have entire sections dedicated to them. When people like that threaten to start “undoing things” politicians listen. And boy did they, unleashing an alphabet soup of bailout programs aimed at the banks. Their banks.

A skeptic might argue that everyone would have suffered if the invisible hand of capitalism had not been checked by Washington. I agree. But there are different kinds of rescues, some meant for shareholders and executives, others for savers and homeowners. Two years after the crisis, unemployment still hovered around 10% and America suffered a record number of foreclosures. Wall Street enjoyed record revenues and paid out record compensation.

Part of my frustration over all of this is personal. I knew people who had fallen on hard times back then and were struggling to keep up with their mortgage payments. Exhausted by endless harassment from collection agents, they decided to call a government hotline for struggling homeowners. To their dismay, the agent who picked up was an employee of their bank. The reconciliation offer that she made barely moved the needle.

Their bank? Wells Fargo, the beloved Berkshire holding that got $25b in direct bailout money and another $25b in special tax break the year before. The same bank that would soon be caught laundering money for Mexican drug cartels, then be embroiled in a historic fake account scandal. Buffett and Munger were among its biggest shareholders the entire time.

Fifteen years later, the legacy of that period lives on in our politics. Both the progressive Occupy Wall Street movement and the conservative Tea Party movement began as a response to the bailouts, and perhaps the only thing the populist right and woke left agree on is the fact that the economy is rigged. Surveys show the two most distrusted institutions in America are Congress and banking.

Charlie Munger was a vocal critic of crypto, a different kind of financial system that people like me believe will someday replace the legacy financial system and all its baggage. He paid Bitcoin a surprising amount of attention and used a lot of four-letter words to describe it — sometimes in the same interview where he boasted about his beloved Wells Fargo. The more generous interpretation of his disdain is that he didn’t understand crypto or its disruptive potential.

Here’s a different interpretation: he understood it all too well."

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2024 at 2:45pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6842 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 9:19am

<  ------------------- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/26/opinion/taiwan-china-war-military.html

" China Is Running Out of Lines to Cross in the Taiwan Strait. "

" In 2020, the balance of military power in the Taiwan Strait began a gradual but profound shift in China’s favor.

That August, Alex Azar, then the Health and Human Services secretary, became the highest-ranking U.S. cabinet official to visit Taiwan in more than four decades. Though he was there to talk about the pandemic, China’s People’s Liberation Army (P.L.A.) responded by carrying out large-scale military exercises around the self-governing island, sending aircraft over the median line of the Taiwan Strait for only the third time in more than 20 years. Since then, China has responded to such visits and other perceived provocations by flying more than 4,800 sorties, with growing numbers of aircraft flying in locations previously seen as off-limits and conducting dozens of increasingly complex air and naval military exercises around Taiwan.

The P.L.A.’s now-normalized presence around Taiwan raises the risk of an accidental confrontation. But over the longer term, it has also gradually created a dangerous sense of complacency in Taipei and Washington, while giving China the crucial operational practice it might one day need to seize the island.

As a military analyst specializing in China and Taiwan who has spent the last two years managing an open-source database tracking Chinese military activity, I am deeply concerned about the dangers that this activity poses. Alarm bells should be ringing, but neither Taiwan nor the United States have taken meaningful action to deter China, and Taiwan’s response has been inconsistent and lacks transparency, which may further embolden Beijing. A more robust approach is needed to deter China from escalating the situation.

In 2020, shortly after China began raising the pressure, Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defense started releasing daily reports on Chinese military activity inside the island’s Air Defense Identification Zone, a perimeter extending beyond Taiwan’s territorial waters and airspace that is monitored to provide early warning of approaching Chinese planes or missiles. In previous years, China rarely entered the zone. But in 2020, P.L.A. aircraft breached it nearly 400 times. Last year, that number exceeded 1,700.

Beijing has steadily pushed the envelope. P.L.A. forces also rarely crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait, the halfway point between China and Taiwan. But in August 2022, after a visit to Taiwan by Nancy Pelosi, then the speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, Chinese forces crossed the line 302 times that month, essentially erasing it as a functional boundary. Today, Chinese aircraft continue to cross the line almost daily, leaving Taiwan only minutes to assess China’s intentions in a dangerous guessing game that leaves the door open for miscalculation. Since last year, China also has essentially established a permanent naval presence around the island.

With no official contact between Beijing and Taipei for the past eight years, the chances of defusing an inadvertent clash are limited. An isolated confrontation could escalate into an attack by China or to a rapid deployment of the now well-drilled air and naval forces it has around Taiwan, cutting the island off from any U.S. help and dramatically reducing American military options.

This tense climate is straining Taiwan’s defenses. In early 2021, Taiwan stopped scrambling jets for every violation of the island’s Air Defense Identification Zone after spending almost nine percent of the previous year’s defense budget on monitoring Chinese aircraft.

This atmosphere also has sown policy confusion. In October 2022, after the incursions following Ms. Pelosi’s visit, Taiwan’s defense ministry announced that any P.L.A. aircraft that violate Taiwan’s territorial air and sea space — 12 nautical miles from the island’s shores — will be viewed as a “first strike,” likely meaning they would be shot down.

Since then, no incursions by P.L.A. aircraft have been publicly revealed, but China has tested Taiwan’s policy by sending at least 27 balloons into the island’s territorial airspace since the start of this year, forcing Taipei to choose between taking no action, which gives Beijing tacit permission to continue to violate the island’s airspace, or shooting down the balloons, which could provoke China. So far, Taiwan is not known to have taken any action against the balloons that have entered its airspace.

Taipei’s approach to sharing information about Chinese activities with the public has not been fully transparent, marked by unexplained changes in how much information it releases. Caution is understandable to avoid raising public alarm. But a lack of transparency also prevents the government from communicating the true situation to Taiwan’s people, which could lead to calls for a different policy.

Taiwanese made their desires clear last month when they chose Lai Ching-te, who is committed to the island’s sovereignty, as their next president. Mr. Lai’s victory presents a chance for his government to adopt a more transparent approach to Beijing’s military aggression similar to that of the Philippines, which has demonstrated that drawing attention to Chinese actions in the South China Sea can help build domestic, regional and international support for efforts to counter that aggression.

In Washington, there is bipartisan support for Taiwan, and President Biden has repeatedly stated that the United States would come to the island’s defense. The Taiwan Relations Act, which has governed American policy toward the island for four decades, explicitly states that any moves to determine Taiwan’s future by other than peaceful means would be of “grave concern.” But America has come up with no specific response to China’s recent military activity.

The United States must make clear to China that its military activities could spark a war and are no longer acceptable. Washington should also coordinate with Taipei on more effective ways to deter Chinese provocations, such as through increased information sharing, air patrol exercises and ensuring that the island is fully equipped and prepared to defend its sovereignty.

America’s strategic attention is being consumed by wars in Ukraine and the Middle East. But if the United States takes its eye off the perilous situation facing Taiwan, there soon may be no lines left for China to cross. "

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2024 at 4:48pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6843 - Feb 28th, 2024 at 8:59am

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/02/28/china_isnt_just_spending_mo...

" China Isn’t Just Spending More, It’s Spending Smarter."

By : Peter Robertson & Wilson Beaver

February 28, 2024

" China’s inflation-adjusted military spending is at least three times larger than it was in the year 2000 and by some counts is hundreds of millions of dollars larger than the official numbers suggest. Yet even these dramatic top-line estimates do not tell the whole story of China’s military rise, because it has also increased efficiencies within its defense budget – meaning that, unlike the United States, China isn’t just spending more, it’s spending smarter.

The headline numbers mask the even more rapid modernization of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA), led by a massive investment in military equipment that far outstrips the growth of rest of China’s defense budget. The PLA has become much more efficient and strategy-driven, with larger percentages allocated each year to the procurement of equipment critical to power projection and 21st-century warfare – especially ships and planes. These increased capabilities have put the U.S. and its allies on notice and raised questions over whether their current defense budgets are postured to counter the challenge from China.

With over four million active personnel in the late 1990s, China’s PLA has always had a large military. But these numbers of personnel have been of declining strategic relevance. A great power conflict in the Indo-Pacific will be primarily fought at sea and in the air, leaving large standing armies with much less of a role to play.

The U.S. military’s crushing defeat of Saddam’s Iraqi army during the first Gulf War made the Chinese question their Stalin-like strategy of weight in numbers. China watched as the modern American military used precision-guided weapons to dismantle the Iraqi Army from the air with minimal American casualties and realized that China’s military doctrine and structure were outdated.

China then began to adapt and modernize the PLA with the aim of developing a modern force potentially capable of projecting force well beyond its borders. To achieve this goal, China reduced the number of military personnel, thus allowing a smart re-allocation away from personnel spending and into equipment procurement spending – most notably, investment in new military equipment. This has included a massive naval build up, the procurement of hypersonic weapons, and large stores of munitions.

Consequently, whereas overall real military spending has increased threefold since 2000, China’s real military equipment spending increased nearly eight-fold over the same period. This means that real (inflation-adjusted) military equipment has grown at over 10 percent per annum – much faster than China’s real GDP growth.

Over this same period, American military spending has been trending in quite a different way. Simply put, the U.S. has not been prioritizing naval or air procurement to the extent necessary to deter a rising China. Thus, China’s military equipment budget has grown six percent points per annum faster than the U.S. defense procurement budget.

American defense spending, by contrast, is inefficient, and characterized by bloated operations and maintenance budgets as the services struggle to maintain older systems and fail to replace them. The average age of a U.S. Air Force fighter jet is 32 years. In comparison, the average age of a jet at Delta Airlines is only 15.1 years – and Delta has nonetheless been criticized for its “aging planes.”

Unsurprisingly, the increasing Chinese investment has been closing the military equipment gap. The nominal spending data combined with data on machinery and equipment prices from the World Bank suggest that China’s military procurement budget has increased from 10 percent of the U.S. budget in 2000, to 37 percent of America’s annual defense budget today.

To put that in context, China’s military equipment budget was little smaller than France’s procurement budget in 2000. Today, however, China’s military equipment budget has the purchasing power of France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and the U.K. combined.

If anything, these comparisons may understate the true relative size of China’s current rate of investment in military equipment because, perhaps ironically, China can import certain types of equipment more cheaply than it costs it to build internally. Converting Chinese spending on military equipment to U.S. dollars using market exchange rates – which indicates how much it could buy through importing equipment from friendly countries, such as Russia – suggests that China’s military equipment budget could actually purchase the equivalent of 57 percent of the U.S. military equipment budget.

Increased defense spending makes sense from the Chinese point of view. As the Chinese economy has grown into the second largest in the world, the Chinese government has identified a whole new set of economic interests beyond its borders, with which it must now contend. China’s economy needs more far more energy than China can produce itself, and it therefore imports oil and gas from the Middle East, Central Asia, and Russia. The Chinese government recognizes that it needs the ability to protect as well as, and to project power beyond its borders to secure the energy imports its economy needs. Pro-CCP media thus argue that China’s military rise has only been and that China’s share of military spending in GDP has been relatively constant, and in line with a peaceful rise.

But China’s overall military spending and the relatively constant share of military spending in GDP, suggest this is actually a dramatic transformation and remarkable strategic pivot, with a rapid increase in equipment per person that helps China manage a range of increasing strategic ambitions.

Beyond securing energy and economic needs, modernization has been an undeniable geo-political success in terms of the Chinese ambition to force reunification with Taiwan and other international strategic ends, such as challenging the freedom of navigation in the South China Sea. For example, in 1995-96 China’s huge military personnel advantage (the PLA then had around four million active military personnel) didn’t prevent the USS Nimitz traversing the Taiwan Strait during the 1995-96 crisis to force China into a humiliating backdown. Since then, however, the situation has changed dramatically, and a U.S. carrier in the Taiwan Straits would now have to contend with China’s massive anti-area, access denial capabilities with a less decisive impact.

While China’s increased military equipment spending is undeniable, so too the strategic implications of this spending shift are unmistakable. The headline defense budget and constant share of military spending in GDP mask the real growth story of China’s military rise - the two decades of smart investments in naval and air procurement that have given the China a modern 21st-century military capable far superior to the personnel-heavy military it once had. China is not just spending more, it’s spending smarter. "

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2024 at 4:34pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6844 - Feb 29th, 2024 at 6:52am

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/united-states/age-amorality-liberal-brands

" The Age of Amorality."

" Can America Save the Liberal Order Through Illiberal Means? "

By :  Hal Brands

March/April 2024

" How much evil we must do in order to do good,” the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr wrote in 1946. “This, I think, is a very succinct statement of the human situation.” Niebuhr was writing after one global war had forced the victors to do great evil to prevent the incalculably greater evil of a world ruled by its most aggressive regimes. He was witnessing the onset of another global conflict in which the United States would periodically transgress its own values in order to defend them. But the fundamental question Niebuhr raised—how liberal states can reconcile worthy ends with the unsavory means needed to attain them—is timeless. It is among the most vexing dilemmas facing the United States today.

U.S. President Joe Biden took office pledging to wage a fateful contest between democracy and autocracy. After Russia invaded Ukraine, he summoned like-minded nations to a struggle “between liberty and repression, between a rules-based order and one governed by brute force.” Biden’s team has indeed made big moves in its contest with China and Russia, strengthening solidarity among advanced democracies that want to protect freedom by keeping powerful tyrannies in check. But even before the war between Hamas and Israel presented its own thicket of problems, an administration that has emphasized the ideological nature of great-power rivalry was finding itself ensnared by a morally ambiguous world.

In Asia, Biden has bent over backward to woo a backsliding India, a communist Vietnam, and other not so liberal states. In Europe, wartime exigencies have muted concerns about creeping authoritarianism on NATO’s eastern and southern fronts. In the Middle East, Biden has concluded that Arab dictators are not pariahs but vital partners. Defending a threatened order involves reviving the free-world community. It also, apparently, entails buttressing an arc of imperfect democracies and outright autocracies across much of the globe.

Biden’s conflicted strategy reflects the realities of contemporary coalition building: when it comes to countering China and Russia, democratic alliances go only so far. Biden’s approach also reflects a deeper, more enduring tension. American interests are inextricably tied to American values: the United States typically enters into great-power competition because it fears mighty autocracies will otherwise make the world unsafe for democracy. But an age of conflict invariably becomes, to some degree, an age of amorality because the only way to protect a world fit for freedom is to court impure partners and engage in impure acts.

Expect more of this. If the stakes of today’s rivalries are as high as Biden claims, Washington will engage in some breathtakingly cynical behavior to keep its foes contained. Yet an ethos of pure expediency is fraught with dangers, from domestic disillusion to the loss of the moral asymmetry that has long amplified U.S. influence in global affairs. Strategy, for a liberal superpower, is the art of balancing power without subverting democratic purpose. The United States is about to rediscover just how hard that can be.

Biden has consistently been right about one thing: clashes between great powers are clashes of ideas and interests alike. In the seventeenth century, the Thirty Years’ War was fueled by doctrinal differences no less than by the struggle for European primacy. In the late eighteenth century, the politics of revolutionary France upheaved the geopolitics of the entire continent. World War II was a collision of rival political traditions—democracy and totalitarianism—as well as rival alliances. “This was no accidental war,” German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop declared in 1940, “but a question of the determination of one system to destroy the other.” When great powers fight, they do so not just over land and glory. They fight over which ideas, which values, will chart humanity’s course.

In this sense, U.S. competition with China and Russia is the latest round in a long struggle over whether the world will be shaped by liberal democracies or their autocratic enemies. In World War I, World War II, and the Cold War, autocracies in Eurasia sought global primacy by achieving preeminence within that central landmass. Three times, the United States intervened, not just to ensure its security but also to preserve a balance of power that permitted the survival and expansion of liberalism—to “make the world safe for democracy,” in U.S. President Woodrow Wilson’s words. President Franklin Roosevelt made a similar point in 1939, saying, “There comes a time in the affairs of men when they must prepare to defend, not their homes alone, but the tenets of faith and humanity on which their churches, their governments, and their very civilization are founded.” Yet as Roosevelt understood, balancing power is a dirty game.

Western democracies prevailed in World War II only by helping an awful tyrant, Joseph Stalin, crush an even more awful foe, Adolf Hitler. They used tactics, such as fire-bombing and atomic-bombing enemy cities, that would have been abhorrent in less desperate times. The United States then waged the Cold War out of conviction, as President Harry Truman declared, that it was a conflict “between alternative ways of life”; the closest U.S. allies were fellow democracies that made up the Western world. Yet holding the line in a high-stakes struggle also involved some deeply questionable, even undemocratic, acts.

In a Third World convulsed by instability, the United States employed right-wing tyrants as proxies; it suppressed communist influence through coups, covert and overt interventions, and counterinsurgencies with staggering death tolls. To deter aggression along a global perimeter, the Pentagon relied on the threat of using nuclear weapons so destructive that their actual employment could serve no constructive end. To close the ring around the Soviet Union, Washington eventually partnered with another homicidal communist, the Chinese leader Mao Zedong. And to ease the politics of containment, U.S. officials sometimes exaggerated the Soviet threat or simply deceived the American people about policies carried out in their name.

Strategy involves setting priorities, and U.S. officials believed that lesser evils were needed to avoid greater ones, such as communism running riot in vital regions or democracies failing to find their strength and purpose before it was too late. The eventual payoff from the U.S. victory in the Cold War—a world safer from autocratic predation, and safer for human freedom, than ever before—suggests that they were, on balance, correct. Along the way, the fact that Washington was pursuing such a worthy objective, against such an unworthy opponent, provided a certain comfort with the conflict’s ethical ambiguities. As NSC-68, the influential strategy document Truman approved in 1950, put it (quoting Alexander Hamilton), “The means to be employed must be proportioned to the extent of the mischief.” When the West was facing a totalitarian enemy determined to remake humanity in its image, some pretty ugly means could, apparently, be justified.

That comfort wasn’t infinite, however, and the Cold War saw fierce fights over whether the United States was getting its priorities right. In the 1950s, hawks took Washington to task for not doing enough to roll back communism in Eastern Europe, with the Republican Party platform of 1952 deriding containment as “negative, futile, and immoral.” In the 1960s and 1970s, an avalanche of amorality—a bloody and misbegotten war in Vietnam, support for a coterie of nasty dictators, revelations of CIA assassination plots—convinced many liberal critics that the United States was betraying the values it claimed to defend. Meanwhile, the pursuit of détente with the Soviet Union, a strategy that deemphasized ideological confrontation in search of diplomatic stability, led some conservatives to allege that Washington was abandoning the moral high ground. Throughout the 1970s and after, these debates whipsawed U.S. policy. Even in this most Manichean of contests, relating strategy to morality was a continual challenge.

In fact, Cold War misdeeds gave rise to a complex of legal and administrative constraints—from prohibitions on political assassination to requirements to notify congressional committees about covert action—that mostly remain in place today. Since the Cold War, these restrictions have been complemented by curbs on aid to coup makers who topple elected governments and to military units that engage in gross violations of human rights. Americans clearly regretted some measures they had used to win the Cold War. The question is whether they can do without them as global rivalry heats up again.

Threats from autocratic enemies heighten ideological impulses in U.S. policy by underscoring the clash of ideas that often drives global tensions. Since taking office, Biden has defined the threat from U.S. rivals, particularly China, in starkly ideological terms.

The world has reached an “inflection point,” Biden has repeatedly declared. In March 2021, he suggested that future historians would be studying “the issue of who succeeded: autocracy or democracy.” At root, Biden has argued, U.S.-Chinese competition is a test of which model can better meet the demands of the modern era. And if China becomes the world’s preeminent power, U.S. officials fear, it will entrench autocracy in friendly countries while coercing democratic governments in hostile ones. Just witness how Beijing has used economic leverage to punish criticism of its policies by democratic societies from Australia to Norway. In making the system safe for illiberalism, a dominant China would make it unsafe for liberalism in places near and far.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine reinforced Biden’s thesis. It offered a case study in autocratic aggression and atrocity and a warning that a world led by illiberal states would be lethally violent, not least for vulnerable democracies nearby. Coming weeks after Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin had sealed a “no limits” strategic partnership, the Ukraine invasion also raised the specter of a coordinated autocratic assault on the liberal international order. Ukraine, Biden explained, was the central front in a “larger fight for . . . essential democratic principles.” So the United States would rally the free world against “democracy’s mortal foes.”

The shock of the Ukraine war, combined with the steadying hand of U.S. leadership, produced an expanded transatlantic union of democracies. Sweden and Finland sought membership in NATO; the West supported Ukraine and inflicted heavy costs on Russia. The Biden administration also sought to confine China by weaving a web of democratic ties around the country. It has upgraded bilateral alliances with the likes of Japan and Australia. It has improved the Quad (the security and diplomatic dialogue with Australia, India, and Japan) and established AUKUS (a military partnership with Australia and the United Kingdom). And it has repurposed existing multilateral bodies, such as the G-7, to meet the peril from Beijing. There are even whispers of a “three plus one” coalition—Australia, Japan, the United States, plus Taiwan—that would cooperate to defend that frontline democracy from Chinese assault.

These ties transcend regional boundaries. Ukraine is getting aid from Asian democracies, such as South Korea, that understand that their security will suffer if the liberal order is fractured. Democracies from multiple continents have come together to confront China’s economic coercion, counter its military buildup, and constrict its access to high-end semiconductors. The principal problem for the United States is a loose alliance of revisionist powers pushing outward from the core of Eurasia. Biden’s answer is a cohering global coalition of democracies, pushing back from around the margins.

Today, those advanced democracies are more unified than at any time in decades. In this respect, Biden has aligned the essential goal of U.S. strategy, defending an imperiled liberal order, with the methods and partners used to pursue it. Yet across Eurasia’s three key regions, the messier realities of rivalry are raising Niebuhr’s question anew.

Consider the situation in Europe. NATO is mostly an alliance of democracies. But holding that pact together during the Ukraine war has required Biden to downplay the illiberal tendencies of a Polish government that—until its electoral defeat in October—was systematically eroding checks and balances. Securing its northern flank, by welcoming Finland and Sweden, has involved diplomatic horse-trading with Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who, in addition to frequently undercutting U.S. interests, has been steering his country toward autocratic rule.

In Asia, the administration spent much of 2021 and 2022 carefully preserving U.S. ties to the Philippines, at the time led by Rodrigo Duterte, a man whose drug war had killed thousands. Biden has assiduously courted India as a bulwark against China, even though the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has curbed speech, harassed opposition leaders, fanned religious grievances, and allegedly killed dissidents abroad. And after visiting New Delhi in September 2023, Biden traveled to Hanoi to sign a “comprehensive strategic partnership” with Vietnam’s one-party regime. Once again, the United States is using some communists to contain others.

Then there is the Middle East, where Biden’s “free world” coalition is quite the motley crew. In 2020, Biden threatened to make Saudi Arabia a “pariah” over the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi. By 2023, his administration—panicked by Chinese inroads and rising gas prices—was trying to make that country Washington’s newest treaty ally instead. That initiative, moreover, was part of a concept, inherited from the Trump administration, in which regional stability would rest on rapprochement between Arab autocracies and an Israeli government with its own illiberal tendencies, while Palestinian aspirations were mostly pushed to the side. Not surprisingly, then, human rights and political freedoms receded in relations with countries from Egypt to the United Arab Emirates. Biden also did little to halt the strangulation of democracy in Tunisia—just as he had decided, effectively, to abandon Afghanistan’s endangered democracy in 2021.

Indeed, if 2022 was a year of soaring rhetoric, 2023 was a year of awkward accommodation. References to the “battle between democracy and autocracy” became scarcer in Biden’s speeches, as the administration made big plays that defied that description of the world. Key human rights–related positions at the White House and the State Department sat vacant. The administration rolled back sanctions on Venezuela—an initiative described publicly as a bid to secure freer and fairer elections, but one that was mostly an effort to get an oppressive regime to stop exporting refugees and start exporting more oil. And when a junta toppled the elected government of Niger, U.S. officials waited for more than two months to call the coup a coup, for fear of triggering the cutoff of U.S. aid and thereby pushing the new regime into Moscow’s arms. Such compromises have always been part of foreign policy. But today, they testify to key dynamics U.S. officials must confront.

First is the cruel math of Eurasian geopolitics. Advanced democracies possess a preponderance of power globally, but in every critical region, holding the frontline requires a more eclectic ensemble.

Poland has had its domestic problems; it is also the logistical linchpin of the coalition backing Ukraine. Turkey is politically illiberal and, often, unhelpful; nonetheless, it holds the intersection of two continents and two seas. In South and Southeast Asia, the primary barrier to Chinese hegemony is a line of less-than-ideal partners running from India to Indonesia. In the Middle East, a picky superpower will be a lonely superpower. Democratic solidarity is great, but geography is stubborn. Across Eurasia, Washington needs illiberal friends to confine its illiberal foes.

The ideological battlefield has also shifted in adverse ways. During the Cold War, anticommunism served as ideological glue between a democratic superpower and its autocratic allies, because the latter knew they were finished if the Soviet Union ever triumphed. Now, however, U.S. enemies feature a form of autocracy less existentially threatening to other nondemocracies: strongmen in the Persian Gulf, or in Hungary and Turkey, arguably have more in common with Xi and Putin than they do with Biden. The gap between “good” and “bad” authoritarians is narrower than it once was—which makes the United States work harder, and pay more, to keep illiberal partners imperfectly onside.

Desperate times also call for morally dexterous measures. When Washington faced no serious strategic challengers after the Cold War, it paid a smaller penalty for foregrounding its values. As the margin of safety shrinks, the tradeoffs between power and principle grow. Right now, war—or the threat of it—menaces East Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Biden says the 2020s will be the “decisive decade” for the world. As Winston Churchill quipped in 1941, “If Hitler invaded Hell, I would at least make a favorable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons.” When threats are dire, democracies will do what it takes to rally coalitions and keep the enemy from breaking through. Thus, a central irony of Washington’s approach to competition is that the same challenges that activate its ideological energy make it harder to keep U.S. diplomacy pure.

So far, the moral compromises of U.S. policy today are modest compared with those of World War II or the Cold War, in part because the constraints on unsavory methods are stronger than they were when Hitler and Stalin stalked the earth. But rules and norms can change as a country’s circumstances do. So Biden and his successors may soon face a daunting reality: high-stakes rivalries carry countries, and leaders, to places they never sought to go.

When the Cold War started, few officials imagined that Washington would conduct covert interventions from Afghanistan to Angola. Just three years ago, hardly anyone predicted that the United States would soon fight a proxy war meant to bleed Putin’s army to death in Ukraine. As the present competitions intensify, the tactics used to wage them could become more extreme.

Washington could find itself covertly trying to tip the balance in elections in some crucial swing state if the alternative is seeing that country shift hard toward Moscow or Beijing. It could use coercion to keep Latin America’s military facilities and other critical infrastructure out of Chinese hands. And if the United States is already ambivalent about acknowledging coups in out-of-the-way countries, perhaps it would excuse far greater atrocities committed by a more important partner in a more important place.

Those who doubt that Washington will resort to dirty tricks have short memories and limited imaginations. If today’s competitions will truly shape the fate of humanity, why wouldn’t a vigilant superpower do almost anything to come out on top?

There’s no reason to be unduly embarrassed about this. A country that lacks the self-confidence to defend its interests will lack the power to achieve any great purpose in global affairs. Put differently, the damage the United States does to its values by engaging dubious allies, and engaging in dubious behavior, is surely less than the damage that would be done if a hyperaggressive Russia or neototalitarian China spread its influence across Eurasia and beyond. As during the Cold War, the United States can eventually repay the moral debts it incurs in a lengthy struggle—if it successfully sustains a system in which democracy thrives because its fiercest enemies are suppressed.

It would be dangerous to adopt a pure end-justifies-the-means mentality, however, because there is always a point at which foul means corrupt fair ends. Even short of that, serial amorality will prove politically corrosive: a country whose population has rallied to defend its values as well as its interests will not forever support a strategy that seems to cast those values aside. And ultimately, the greatest flaw of such a strategy is that it forfeits a potent U.S. advantage.

During World War II, as the historian Richard Overy has argued, the Allied cause was widely seen to be more just and humane than the Axis cause, which is one reason the former alliance attracted so many more countries than the latter. In the Cold War, the sense that the United States stood, however imperfectly, for fundamental rights and liberties the Kremlin suppressed helped Washington appeal to other democratic societies—and even to dissidents within the Soviet bloc. The tactics of great-power competition must not obscure the central issue of that competition. If the world comes to see today’s rivalries as slugfests devoid of larger moral meaning, the United States will lose the asymmetry of legitimacy that has served it well.

This is not some hypothetical dilemma. Since October 2023, Biden has rightly framed the Israel-Hamas war as a struggle between a flawed democracy and a tyrannical enemy seeking its destruction. There is strong justification, moral and strategic, for backing a U.S. ally against a vicious proxy of a U.S. enemy, Iran. Moreover, there is no serious ethical comparison between a terrorist group that rapes, tortures, kidnaps, and kills civilians and a country that mostly tries, within the limits war imposes, to protect them.

Yet rightly or wrongly, large swaths of the global South view the war as a testament to American double standards: opposing occupation and appropriation of foreign territory by Russia but not by Israel, valuing the lives and liberties of some victims more than those of others. Russian and Chinese propagandists are amplifying these messages to drive a wedge between Washington and the developing world. This is why the Biden administration has tried, and sometimes struggled, to balance support for Israel with efforts to mitigate the harm the conflict brings—and why the war may presage renewed U.S. focus on the peace process with the Palestinians, as unpromising as that currently seems. The lesson here is that the merits of an issue may be disputed, but for a superpower that wears its values on its sleeve, the costs of perceived hypocrisy are very real.

Succeeding in this round of rivalry will thus require calibrating the moral compromises inherent in foreign policy by finding an ethos that is sufficiently ruthless and realistic at the same time. Although there is no precise formula for this—the appropriateness of any action depends on its context—some guiding principles can help.

First, morality is a compass, not a straitjacket. For political sustainability and strategic self-interest, American statecraft should point toward a world consistent with its values. But the United States cannot paralyze itself by trying to fully embody those values in every tactical decision. Nor—even at a moment when its own democracy faces internal threats—should it insist on purifying itself at home before exerting constructive influence abroad. If it does so, the system will be shaped by regimes that are more ruthless—and less shackled by their own imperfections.

The United States should also avoid the fallacy of the false alternative. It must evaluate choices, and partners, against the plausible possibilities, not against the utopian ideal. The realistic alternative to maintaining ties to a military regime in Africa may be watching as murderous Russian mercenaries fill the void. The realistic alternative to engaging Modi’s India may be seeing South Asia fall further under the shadow of a China that assiduously exports illiberalism. Similarly, proximity to a Saudi regime that carves up its critics is deeply uncomfortable. But the realistic alternative to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is probably a regime that remains quite repressive—and is far less committed to empowering women, curbing religious zealots, and otherwise making the country a more open, tolerant place. In a world of lousy options, the crucial question is often: Lousy compared with what?

Another guiding principle: good things don’t all come at once. Cold War policymakers sometimes justified coup making and support for repressive regimes on grounds that preventing Third World countries from going communist then preserved the possibility that they might go democratic later. That logic was suspiciously convenient—and, in many cases, correct. Countries in Latin America and other developing regions did eventually experience political openings as they reached higher levels of development, and democratic values radiated outward from the West.

Today, unseemly bargains can sometimes lead to better outcomes. By not breaking the U.S.-Philippine alliance during Duterte’s drug war, Washington sustained the relationship until a more cooperative, less draconian government emerged. By staying close to a Polish government with some worrying tendencies, the United States bought time until, late last year, that country’s voters elected a coalition promising to strengthen its democratic institutions. The same argument could be made for staying engaged with other democracies where autocratic tendencies are pronounced but electoral mechanisms remain intact—Hungary, India, and Turkey, to name a few. More broadly, liberalism is most likely to flourish in a system led by a democracy. So simply forestalling the ascent of powerful autocracies may eventually help democratic values spread into once inhospitable places.

Similarly, the United States should remember that taking the broad view is as vital as taking the long view. Support for democracy and human rights is not an all-or-nothing proposition. As Biden’s statecraft has shown, transactional deals with dictators can complement a strategy that stresses democratic cooperation at its core. Honoring American values, moreover, is more than a matter of hectoring repressive regimes. A foreign policy that raises international living standards through trade, addresses global problems such as food insecurity, and holds the line against great-power war serves the cause of human dignity very well. A strategy that emphasizes such efforts may actually be more appealing to countries, including developing democracies from Brazil to Indonesia, that resist democracy-versus-autocracy framing because they don’t want any part of a Manichean fight.

Of course, these principles can seem like a recipe for rationalization—a way of excusing the grossest behavior by claiming it serves a greater cause. Another important principle, then, revives Hamilton’s dictum that the means must be proportioned to the mischief. The greater the compromise, the greater the payoff it provides—or the damage it avoids—must be.

By this standard, the case for cooperation with an India or a Poland is clear-cut. These countries are troubled but mostly admirable democracies that play critical roles in raging competitions. Until the world contains only liberal democracies, Washington can hardly avoid seeking blemished friends.

The United States should, however, be more cautious about courting countries that regularly engage in the very practices it deems most corrosive to the liberal order: systematic torture or murder of their people, coercion of their neighbors, or export of repression across borders, to name a few. A Saudi Arabia, for instance, that periodically engages in some of these practices is a troublesome partner. A Saudi Arabia that flagrantly and consistently commits such acts risks destroying the moral and diplomatic basis of its relationship with the United States. American officials should be more hesitant still to distort or destabilize the politics of other countries, especially other democracies, for strategic gain. If Washington is going to get back into the coup business in Latin America or Southeast Asia, the bad outcomes to be prevented must be truly severe—a major, potentially lasting shift in a key regional balance of power, perhaps—to justify policies so manifestly in tension with the causes the United States claims to defend.

Mitigating the harm to those causes means heeding a further principle: marginal improvement matters. Washington will not convince leaders in Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, or Vietnam to commit political suicide by abandoning their domestic model. But leverage works both ways in these relationships. Countries on the firing line need a superpower patron just as much as it needs them. U.S. officials can use that leverage to discourage extraterritorial repression, seek the release of political prisoners, make elections a bit freer and fairer, or otherwise obtain modest but meaningful changes. Doing so may be the price of keeping these relationships intact, by convincing proponents of human rights and democracy in Congress that the White House has not forgotten such issues altogether.

This relates to an additional principle: the United States must be scrupulously honest with itself. American officials need to recognize that illiberal allies will be selective or unreliable allies because their domestic models put them at odds with important norms of the liberal order—and because they tend to generate resentment that may eventually cause an explosion. In the same vein, the problem with laws that mandate aid cutoffs to coup plotters is that they encourage self-deception. In cases in which Washington fears the strategic fallout from a break in relations, U.S. officials are motivated to pretend that a coup has not occurred. The better approach, in line with reforms approved by Congress in December 2022, is a framework that allows presidents to waive such cutoffs on national security grounds—but forces them to acknowledge and justify that choice. The work of making moral tradeoffs in foreign policy begins with admitting those tradeoffs exist.

Some of these principles are in tension with others, which means their application in specific cases must always be a matter of judgment. But the issue of reconciling opposites relates to a final principle: soaring idealism and brutal realism can coexist. During the 1970s, moral debates ruptured the Cold War consensus. During the 1980s, U.S. President Ronald Reagan adequately repaired—but never fully restored—that consensus by combining flexibility of tactics with clarity of purpose.

Reagan supported awful dictators, murderous militaries, and thuggish “freedom fighters” in the Third World, sometimes through ploys—such as the Iran-contra scandal—that were dodgy or simply illegal. Yet he also backed democratic movements from Chile to South Korea; he paired rhetorical condemnations of the Kremlin with ringing affirmations of Western ideals. The takeaway is that rough measures may be more tolerable if they are part of a larger package that emphasizes, in word and deed, the values that must anchor the United States’ approach to the world. Some will see this as heightening the hypocrisy. In reality, it is the best way to preserve the balance—political, moral, and strategic—that a democratic superpower requires."

0:00 - Substitute
3:53 - My Wife
11:35 - Baba o Riley
17:35 - Squeeze Box
21:12 - Behind Blue Eyes
25:20 - Dreaming From The Waist
30:28 - Boris The Spider
33:40 - Magic Bus
43:05 - Amazing Journey
46:20 - Sparks
51:14 - The Acid Queen
55:00 - Fiddle About
56:57 - Pinball Wizard
59:40 - I’m Free
1:01:11 - See Me Feel Me

1:06:30 - Summertime Blues
1:10:00 - My Generation/Join Together
1:17:20 - Roadrunner Jam
1:24:35 - Won’t Get Fooled Again

Track Listing:

01. Substitute
02. I Can't Explain
03. Baba O'Riley
04. The Punk And The Godfather
05. My Wife
06. Sister Disco
07. Behind Blue Eyes
08. Music Must Change
09. Drowned
10. Who Are You
11. 5:15
12. Pinball Wizard
13. See Me Feel Me
14. Long Live Rock
15. My Generation
16. I'm A Man
17. Sparks
18. I Can See For Miles
19. I Don't Wanna Be An Old Man
20. Won't Get Fooled Again
21. Summertime Blues
22. Dancing In The Streets
23. Dance It Away
24. The Real Me

« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2024 at 2:22pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6845 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 3:02pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-hubris-paves-the-way-for-a-second-trump-t...

" Democrats’ Hubris Paves the Way for a Second Trump Term."

" Biden promised an end to chaos and lunacy. He barely won, then utterly failed to deliver."

By : Gerard Baker

" The state of our union is strong, President Joe Biden will doubtless insist on Thursday night. But as a description of America in 2024, the claim has about as much credibility as the protestations from the White House that the president has the mind of a chess grandmaster and the stamina of a thoroughbred.

Mr. Biden presides over a weakened, divided, fearful nation whose voters face a bleak choice about their future.

It must have dawned on Democrats by now that eight months from Election Day, it’s getting awfully late. Mr. Biden’s approval ratings remain in Jimmy Carter territory. In poll after poll, swing state after swing state, he is losing to the man he beat in 2020.

Incumbent presidents are blessed with often-decisive advantages. Donald Trump was only the fourth elected president in a century to lose re-election. But unless something changes Mr. Biden is set to join him on that short list, even as he adds his predecessor to the even shorter roll of third-time’s-a-charm candidates.

The Democrats have made three critical miscalculations that have brought them here.

The first was to underestimate Mr. Trump and to overestimate their ability to dispatch him. Except for a few empathic souls, most Democrats have never really understood the former president’s appeal. They like to ascribe it, in their own words, to a “basket of deplorables,” “bitter clingers” or, in Mr. Biden’s characteristically less imaginative phrasing, “semifascists.”

They gaze out from their Ivy League casements and Hollywood balconies on a Hobbesian hinterland of racists, bigots and fools, fed a diet of “misinformation” by right-wing media. From those secure perches they don’t see people who feel betrayed at home and abroad by successive leaders, American communities battling devastating health and financial crises, workers whose incomes have struggled to keep pace with costs, parents who fear their children’s lives will be worse—all told by a modern aristocracy that their American values are wicked, that people from other countries who have no legal right even to be here are entitled to the same privileges, even when they commit violent crimes.

Never having grasped how validating it is for many Americans to hear someone who gets this, Democrats thought they could put him down with ease. But 2024 isn’t unfolding by that script. They thought Mr. Trump would fail to make it across a criminal-law minefield, being convicted before the first votes are cast. But he has always had a charmed ability to slip between the interstices of the law. And many voters, whatever they think of his flaws, are uneasy about the spectacle of Democratic state prosecutors and a Democratic administration’s Justice Department striving to put their principal opponent in jail.

The second miscalculation was Mr. Biden’s own misplaced self-belief that despite his declining powers he was the only candidate for the job. If the president had kept the implicit promise in 2020 that he would be a caretaker president, he wouldn’t now be asking Americans to take the terrible risk of voting for a ticket that consists of a man who may not finish his term and a designated successor who shouldn’t be allowed to.

It’s simply untrue that the Democrats have a hopelessly weak bench. Vice President Kamala Harris may have demonstrated her unfitness for the office, but there are a slew of governors who could have made a strong case. Gavin Newsom may be too oleaginous and too Californian for swing-state voters, but Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania and Wes Moore of Maryland all have strong credentials and are at least a generation younger than Mr. Biden and his opponent.

The third miscalculation was the decision to interpret the narrow victory of 2020 as a mandate to rewrite the social contract. At the presidential and congressional levels, the Democrats won a squeaker four years ago and decided they were the reincarnation of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Lyndon B. Johnson.

The implementation of the left’s agenda—dismantling the border, a massive stimulus into a supply-constrained economy, the regulation of American capitalism and a federal industrial policy, taxpayers forced to foot the bill for the education of the privileged, the rewriting of social relations in line with the dictates of the “diversity, equity and inclusion” ideology—all this would have been ruinous in a country that had actually voted for them. In a country that simply sought to escape the chaos and lunacy of the Trump years, it is almost criminal.

The common element in all these miscalculations is the familiar flaw in the left’s mindset—hubris, the absolute self-assurance that they alone know what is good for the rest of us. Disdainful of the concerns of regular people, supremely confident that, even in their dotage, they should make choices for us that we can’t be trusted to make for ourselves, their unshakable faith in the ability of government to order our lives better than we can.

As I said, it’s getting late. There may still be time. Perhaps at least their hubris about Mr. Trump may prove justified. More likely, nemesis awaits."

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2024 at 2:38pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #6846 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 7:58am
Do your best Jagger...

Some nonsense for your thread.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6847 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 10:42am
Some Guy wrote on Mar 6th, 2024 at 7:58am:
Do your best Jagger...

Some nonsense for your thread.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6848 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 10:46am

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/03/06/slouching_towards_world_war...

" Slouching Towards World War III. "

By :  Francis P. Sempa

March 06, 2024

" The United States, led by President Joe Biden (who a few weeks ago recalled recently speaking to two foreign leaders who had been dead for many years and confusing the names of the current Egyptian and Mexican presidents), Secretary of State Antony Blinken, National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan, and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin (who recently disappeared for a significant medical procedure without telling anyone), is once again engaged in an ideological crusade on the side of “democracy” in a global struggle with “autocracy.” “Democracy,” we are told, is under assault by a new “axis” of autocratic powers that seek to replace the “liberal world order’ (sometimes called the “rules-based international order”) with an autocratic order. The champions of this crusade tell us that China, Russia, and Iran are coordinating their foreign policies to attack U.S. interests in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, though they supply little, if any, evidence of such coordination. Our 21st century crusaders want to pour more American resources into proxy wars we are helping to wage in Ukraine and the Middle East, while simultaneously aiding Taiwan and building-up our military forces in the western Pacific, even as we suffer at home from skyrocketing deficits and an invasion on our southern border. We are slouching towards a global conflict that has the potential to dwarf in destruction the two world wars of the twentieth century.

Biden, Blinken and Sullivan are the policy architects of the current crusade, but they are supported by the neoconservative intelligentsia, much of the foreign policy establishment, the mainstream media, and what President Eisenhower called the “military-industrial complex.” The current crusade is fueled by neo-Wilsonianism on steroids. President Woodrow Wilson said we fought the First World War to make the world safe for democracy. Wilson’s disciple Franklin Roosevelt told Americans that we waged World War II to establish the principles of the Atlantic Charter throughout the world. FDR’s successor Harry Truman pledged to “support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures.” President John F. Kennedy pledged to “pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” George W. Bush waged a “Global War on Terror” to promote democracy throughout the world. These crusading presidents are the forerunners of the Biden administration’s crusade against “autocracy.”

All of the previous crusades failed. Wilson’s foreign policy crusade set the stage for the rise of totalitarianism and the Second World War. FDR’s crusade ended in a divided Europe and a costly Cold War. Truman’s crusade crashed on the shores of the Korean peninsula, even as his policies failed to prevent Mao’s communists from seizing power in China. Kennedy’s crusade led to a series of crises that brought the world to the brink of nuclear war and began the path to the debacle of Vietnam. Bush’s crusade spilled American blood and spent American treasure in the endless wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Biden’s crusade threatens to get the United States deeply involved in three wars against at least two, and possibly three, nuclear-armed powers. How did we get here?

We got here because our leaders and policymakers during the last thirty-some years replaced foreign policy realism based on what Robert Kaplan calls a sense of the tragic with ideological “democratism,” which has been described as “a mirror image of the Christian doctrine of Original Sin.” After the Cold War came to an end, we were told by leading democratists like Francis Fukuyama that we were at the “end of history,” when “the end point of mankind’s ideological evolution and the universalisation of western liberal democracy as the final form of human government” had arrived.

The first manifestation of the democratist ideology was the expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) eastward towards the borders of Russia. Every U.S. president from Clinton to Biden, despite repeated protests from Russia’s leaders and despite warnings uttered by foreign policy realists like George Kennan, Richard Pipes, Jack Matlock, Jr., Owen Harries, Arthur Hartman, Robert Bowie, Fred Ikle, Edward Luttwak, Paul Nitze, Sam Nunn, and others, pushed the North Atlantic Alliance closer and closer to Russia’s western border. The American nuclear umbrella now extended to all former Soviet satellite nations in Europe plus Montenegro, Croatia, and North Macedonia. And the George W. Bush administration publicly extended invitations to join NATO to Ukraine and Georgia. Russia’s reaction to an adversarial military alliance expanding closer to its borders, apparently, was considered irrelevant or unimportant. Democracy was on the move. There was among American policymakers no sense of the tragic.

Then, when Islamic militants repeatedly attacked U.S. and Western interests in the Middle East, culminating in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, America’s response was not only to strike back at those who attacked us, but also to attempt to reshape another civilization in our image by spreading liberal values and democratic institutions worldwide. President George W. Bush made democracy promotion a vital U.S. interest and expended the blood of our soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen in that ultimately futile effort--an effort, by the way, that also increased Iranian, Russian, and Chinese influence in the region.

Although Ukraine did not join NATO, the United States, as Ted Galen Carpenter pointed out, began to treat Ukraine as a NATO ally ever since the U.S.-supported Maidan revolution resulted in the overthrow of the elected pro-Russian government in Kyiv in 2014. Russia’s reaction was predictable--it seized Crimea in 2014, and eight years later invaded Ukraine, starting a devastating war that our crusaders now label as a crucial struggle between democracy and autocracy, and a key battle in our global confrontation with the “axis of autocracy.” If only our crusaders had remembered George Kennan’s remark that Russia views Ukraine the way the United States views Pennsylvania, perhaps all of this could have been avoided.

Meanwhile, Hamas’ brutal October 7th attack against Israel and subsequent attacks on U.S. forces in the region has led not only to U.S. support for Israel’s military response in Gaza, but also to calls for the U.S. to directly strike targets inside Iran. Our Middle East crusaders are urging the escalation of a proxy war into a direct military confrontation between the U.S. and Iran as part of a larger effort against the so-called “axis of autocracy” consisting of Iran, Russia, and China (some add North Korea). But as Daniel DePetris has noted, the temporary alignment of Iran, Russia, and China is less a strategic alliance than an opportunity to use other powers to promote their own interests--the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

There is much more at stake for the United States in the western Pacific. The wars in the Middle East and Ukraine are distractions from the geopolitical center of gravity in the Asia-Pacific. Yet, the U.S. Senate just passed a foreign aid bill that spends $60 billion on Ukraine, $14 billion on Israel, $9 billion for Palestinians in Gaza, and a miserly $5 billion for the Indo-Pacific. The notion that the conflicts in Ukraine, the Middle East, and East Asia are interlocked by an existential struggle between democracy and autocracy dangerously substitutes ideology for geopolitical realism. What is needed is not another crusade but a realistic strategy that prioritizes U.S. interests, avoids needless escalation of regional conflicts, husbands resources for our most vital interests, and, to paraphrase Walter Lippmann, brings into balance our commitments and resources. "

Francis P. Sempa writes on foreign policy and geopolitics. His Best Defense columns appear at the beginning of each month.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2024 at 5:04pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6849 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:04am

<  ------------------- Heading Out To Phoenix , AZ  Saturday Morning for a Few Weeks
(  Springsteen 2024 Tour Opener Is March 19th.  )  " I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "  :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-unhappy-state-of-joe-bidens-nation-state-of-the...

" Joe Biden’s Unhappy State of the Union."

" The Democrats have allowed too many negative feedback loops to develop. The president gets the blame. "

BY : Daniel Henninger

" President Biden gives his State of the Union speech Thursday evening, but here is the one-word version: unhappy.

Not only Joe Biden, but all the architects of his presidency must be beyond frustrated. They’ve done everything right by the modern Democratic playbook: Target “needs” throughout the population and inject billions of dollars into them. The president promoted the massive spend-and-elect effort by assuring audiences: “We hear you!”

What a cruel cut to have an opinion poll out the past week by, of all places, the New York Times and Siena College, revealing that 43% of respondents say Mr. Biden’s policies have “hurt” them. The Biden presidency has dedicated trillions to infrastructure, climate projects, schools, welfare, pandemic support, student debt—in short, the second coming of Franklin D. Roosevelt. It’d be one thing if people said all this hasn’t helped much, but “hurt”?

A basic question: Would the polling results be better if the person hawking these policies the past three years had been Barack Obama, Bill Clinton or even born salesman Gavin Newsom? Mr. Biden’s cognitive decline, always on view, is a contributing factor. But set that aside. Mr. Biden has a political track record to consider.

Granted, he was elected to the Senate for decades, from Delaware. He won a presidential election in 2020 with a historic popular-vote turnout. I can’t forget, though, that in his salad days Mr. Biden failed miserably to mount two presidential runs—in 1988 and 2008. He withdrew in 2008 after the Iowa caucuses, an ironic precursor of Kamala Harris’s quick primary flop in 2020.

The reality could be that Mr. Biden simply doesn’t have it—the magic that makes a person presidential in the public’s mind. “Inspire confidence” is a political cliché, but it matters, and Mr. Biden doesn’t.

Even with Mr. Biden’s liabilities as a compelling presidential personality, the White House is entitled to be frustrated by the anomaly of a growing economy and strong labor market alongside what is manifestly a very sour public mood. This isn’t a happy country at the moment. What’s ailing people?

Especially galling to the White House has to be the recent polls finding that voters, notably Hispanics and blacks, think their lives were “better” under Donald Trump. What did the Trump years have that the Biden era apparently doesn’t?

The one-size-fits-all answer to this question in our time is, it’s the economy, stupid. But with Mr. Biden presiding over a reviving economy and robust stock market, albeit with persistent high prices for consumer basics, there is an additional explanation for the national ennui: It’s the culture, stupid.

The country’s culture, the stuff of daily life, is negative. Ask people to look in any direction and what they see, at best, isn’t the rainbow.

Did anyone ever expect to live in an America with a national shoplifting plague, where all brand-name products in drugstores are behind lock and key? That has become a fact of daily life.

The streets of cities are filled with the mentally ill homeless, and there are complex reasons for that. But there they are, living in the stoned-out filth of tent compounds.

One consequence of progressive theories on bail, prosecutable crimes and police enforcement is young men, freed of constraints, randomly shooting or stabbing other young men or unloading guns in the middle of a nightclub or a celebrating crowd, such as the Kansas City Chiefs parade. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul just ordered the National Guard and state police into New York City’s subway system. This is the price of impunity.

One of the most read articles in this newspaper recently described how the minimum wage, going up this year in 22 states, is driving small restaurants out of business. Family-run restaurants are Main Street, and people see them disappearing.

Immigration policy is also complicated, but what isn’t is the more than four million border encounters with illegal migrants wading across the Rio Grande the past two fiscal years, while the Biden administration did next to nothing. You know what looks sad? Seeing border patrol officers dutifully struggling with this human catastrophe. Now, remarkably, the nonstop migrant mess has become the No. 1 election issue.

The December testimony before Congress of three university presidents about campus antisemitism was disconcerting enough. But for many families it also brought forward the issue of whether college is worth it anymore. The Biden student-debt forgiveness plan, ironically, makes many think of avoiding rather than attending college.

No catalog can leave out wokeness. Say this: It isn’t happy stuff. It’s a constant, widespread source of tension and conflict.

In sum, the Democrats have allowed too many negative feedback loops to develop across society. There is a pervasive sense of being hurt, and in our politics one person gets tagged for that: the president. A similar sense of social hurting didn’t exist in the Trump years. It will take more than one big speech or a different Democratic candidate to turn this around by November.

" I had a brother at Khe Sanh
Fighting off all the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms, now
Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go. "

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2024 at 7:01am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)