Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Cuba??? ===> March 25, 2016! (Read 36,567 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Cuba???
Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 9:46pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
GlimmerGirl24 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:13pm:
With the US Embargo it makes it messy selling or giving tickets to US citizens. It might make sense to announce the concert a week before - cutting out expectation that tickets will be available via the Internet.

The embargo is one way...US>Cuba...and that does not apply to people...only commerce, theoretically...as many US companies sell their products there...Coke...Ronzoni...DelMonte...and a few others I recall seeing on the shelves...and dont forget, American Airlines has been flying there about 6 times a week for the last 40 years.

If you fly through Mexico and stay in Mexico for less than 24 hrs, you dont have to pay Mexican departure taxes!! I think the Caymans have the same rule...I cant recall.

You can no longer spend US Dollars there as Cuba  has removed the dollar as one of its official currencies, they still have 3 currencies...the Cuban Peso...the Convertable Peso and the Euro. American cc cards dont work (You can get a prepaid Canadian CC card with RBC)

If this concert happens...it will be like this:

The upper class (yes, there is an upper class in Cuba) will get the best seats...Cuban nationals in the rest of the stadium and foreigners corralled in 2 sections, as the appartied is still alive and well in Cuba and downright shameful. I predict the show will be free for Cuban nationals and others will be charged by the state...how much? Who knows?!?

IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 11:48pm
American Airlines has been flying charters under the exceptions that permit US citizens to visit Cuba. If an American meets one of the dozen, in the past they could legally purchase airfare in the US and travel to Cuba. However, the specific license that granted them the ability to travel to Cuba required that most of the time was spent participating in the activity the license was granted for, playing tourist was not an approved activity.

Americans can now travel under a general license - which means they don't have to apply. All they have to do is print a form, check a box and book a flight through another country. If an US citizen tries to purchase airfare with a company that flies into Cuba - Aeromexico, Interjet, etc., before the purchase is completed - they're presented with the general license form and have to check which one complies with their reason for going to Cuba. Tourist travel and attending a Stones concert are not listed.

To sell tickets to an American who is outside of Cuba at the time of the sale, the ticket seller would probably have to have the buyer sign the general license form. Which gets a little tricky since the buyer isn't there as part of an approved cultural exchange tour. However, selling or giving a ticket to a person in Cuba - won't require a passport - so how would the Stones promoter know the buyer was American instead of Canadian?

There are exceptions where US food and farm products can be sold in Cuba. However, if you come across Coke, Delmonte, etc. and US clothing brands, its usually because a wholesaler or distributor in a country other than the US is exporting the product to Cuba.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #27 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:03am
I am not arguing...but I have never had an issue going over...I have been 5 times since 1997...always for vacation...(love the sports & arts visas).

The Cuban Interests Section never denied me my Visa....and OFAC ( the ones who control embargos) has always said that Americans are free to come/go as they please since the US cannot tell you what countries you may enter.

And a thought about Coke, et al...you cannot tell me that even if the foods came from ex/ Mexico..that a pocket in Altanta (Coke's HQ) or stock holders, didnt get something out of it.

GlimmerGirl24 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2016 at 11:48pm:
However, selling or giving a ticket to a person in Cuba - won't require a passport -

I disagree...I think your papers will be required if you are a Cuban national for a free ticket or a passport to purchase from the state...but this is only a guess based on what I have seen in the past...afterall, we are not talking ticketmaster here...this is still a state run event,,,no matter who the promoter is.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:08am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #28 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 4:12pm
There's never been an issue of traveling to Cuba as a tourist if you choose to skip a special or general license and use another country to get there or had a boat in Florida. If you want to fly from the US, you need a license. The US has never made it a practice to prosecute people who used another country to get to Cuba instead of complying with the law.

The problem is, under current law is the selling of concert tickets in the US to an event in Cuba that doesn't comply with the approved reasons for being in Cuba. If you book a People to People tour that is providing the Stones ticket - no issue, it's a cultural exchange trip.

If the Stones sold Cuba concert tickets on Ticketmaster or their own website, there are legal issues and while they could probably get around them by having people check a box on the general license form during the ticket purchase - I doubt they would go that route. Mexican owned airlines are now requiring that the fare purchaser check a box on the general license in the purchasing process. If the Stones used Ticketmaster Mexico or Canada - I suspect the general form would again pop up. I suspect the Machine which includes the US companies that promote the tour and sell the tickets, want nothing to do with getting involved with whether our purchase complies with US law. If you want a ticket to the concert - you're buying in Cuba or purchasing one of the cultural tours that are being offered.

If you're buying a ticket from a Cuban ticket seller (box office at the stadium) and they want a passport - no big deal. It's not like Cuba has any interest in enforcing US law. If they did, American tourists would be turned back at the airport and marina.

If you're buying from the Stones ticket office on Cuban soil, I suspect they won't ask for a passport for ID purposes. A driver's license does not give citizenship information.

As for Coca-Cola - yes they benefit from any sale of their product anywhere in the world. Even Cuba. However, a distributor in Mexico exporting to Cuba isn't going to list that shipment on the sales information sent back to Atlanta. Prior to the sale to Cuba - Coca Cola is receiving a cut, but they're cut out of the sale to Cuba, unless the distributor lists the sale as going to the Caymans.

If Coca-Cola wanted to sell products in Cuba - they could apply for a license to do so. For whatever reason, US companies turn a blind eye to what their foreign distributors are doing and aren't interested enough in the Cuban market in the past to apply for licenses. They aren't showing much of a profit for their product that finds its way into Cuba - but the losses aren't worth pursuing either by cracking down on distributors.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016 at 4:17pm by GlimmerGirl24 »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #29 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 5:18pm
OK...I am bored...and I cant beleive I hijacked my own thread...now back to THE STONES!!

Nanker Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) What a post Ronnie!!!!! So long sucker Shut the fuck up now Shut the fuck up now Shut the fuck up now So long sucker

and the Sao Paulo song vote is up btw...
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:29pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 12:44pm
It seems there's a visit from President Obama scheduled for the day after the prospective Stones concert.

Can't imagine the timing is merely coincidental

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 1:16pm
Bloomberg and Miami Herald articles seeming to confirm the 3/20 show, which I am told will be at Stadio Latina America in Havana.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article60974692...

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-02-23/the-limits-of-obama-s-trip-to-c...

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 4:01pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #33 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:09pm
Yes it is confirmed, but just as "at the end of March!"

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:22pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:22pm
It looks like Cuba overbooked Estadio Latinoamericano, the Tampa Bay Rays are booked for a clinic on the 21st and a baseball game on the 22nd. It takes 30 hours to remove the stage and if minimal damage is done to the field, at least 12 hours to replace sod before a game can be played. That makes it impossible for both the Stones and the Rays to use the stadium between the 20th and 22nd.

The Stones can't switch to the 18th or 19th because of the travel time from Bogota and time needed to erect the stage. If they switch to the 27th, they're extending the tour by a week when they're ready to head home and adding an additional week of costs without money coming in.

It sounds like the concert has been moved to land near Ciudad Deportiva (Sports City) arena. The Stones have a venue, the Rays have a stadium where some people speculate Obama is throwing out the first pitch and is why the game wasn't moved to another date. .

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #36 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 7:41am
The Cuban govt does not want the Stones there at the same time as the American State visit. The Stones will have to move their date. It is still rumored that the President will toss out the first pitch I think...though likely.

The Cuban govt wants the visit(s) to be covered by the press separately and not interfere with each other.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #37 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 9:47am
I say fuck it.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #38 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 9:52am
The date will be March 25!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Cuba??? ===> March 25, 2016!
Reply #39 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:09am
It's Holy Saturday, I was thinking that’s strange but most of the Cubans don’t go on vacation so it makes sense
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:22am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:14am
VooMoof, March 25th is a Friday.  Nothing holy about that day.  It's a regular skunk works day, you can get loaded and stuff without celestial repercussion, just like any other non-holy day.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #41 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:24am
WOW; you're right and that's worse as Holy Friday commemorates the passing of Jesus Christ and Cuba is 80% Catholic

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #42 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:17am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:24am:
WOW; you're right and that's worse as Holy Friday commemorates the passing of Jesus Christ and Cuba is 80% Catholic

Might we see SFTD replaced by Indian Girl ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #43 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:19am
I retract my previous statement.  I can't keep all these goddam Holy days straight.  So the Cubans can't get drunk on March 25 or March 26?  This is just a really bad time for the Stones to bash it up in Cuba.  Terrible timing.  But, on the other hand, what can you do?  You can't schedule your entire life around Him, or you'd be jumping from one fucking foot to the other non-stop.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Until recently, one could not be a practicing Catholic and belong to the Cuban Communist Party. Good Friday became a public holiday four years ago to get in chummy with Pope Benedict so he'd put in a good word for lifting the embargo with the White House. A Stones concert scheduled Easter weekend isn't going to have Cubans opting to stay home with their rosaries.

However, according to this article published on Saturday, the Tampa Bay Rays may not have access to the Latinoamericano Stadium on the 21st or the morning of the 22nd because last minute field improvements might be needed. I think I read last week that the Cuban baseball league's season ends in early March, so its unlikely it's a baseball game that is going to damage the field and I haven't come across any other events scheduled at the stadium for the weekend of the 18th.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-cuba-trip-a-big-opportunity-an...

Unless the Stones are playing the stadium on the 20th and it takes over 24 hours to remove the stage.

If the reporter's information about the field needing last minute improvements before the game isn't from a couple of weeks ago, it sounds like the Stones are playing the stadium on the 20th and the Rays drew the short end of the straw.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #45 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 6:40pm
I had second thoughts, the problem in most of the countries with a show on Good Friday is that many people go on vacation, in the case of Cuba most of the people stay at home, not praying rosaries but just relaxing at home... so Good Friday is an excellent day for a show there

As mentioned previously, prices will be high for foreigner and free for local people.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #46 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 6:40pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #47 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 6:41pm

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #48 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 6:50pm
Edith Grove wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:17am:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:24am:

Might we see SFTD replaced by Indian Girl ?

He ain't no Che Guevara !!!

If it's not on RS.com...its not happening!!!
If its not in El Granma...it's not happening...

But...if its in RockOff...ITS HAPPENING!!!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6890842/cubans-the-rolling-stones-hav...

Cuban cultural officials have announced that The Rolling Stones will perform in Havana sometime during Easter week. The confirmation of the show, which has been rumored for months, was first posted on a Cuban television news Facebook page on Feb. 26, and followed by an article in the official newspaper Granma which proclaimed the concert “will be a historic moment that will open the doors for other great bands to arrive in Havana.”

A U.S. source with knowledge of the situation told Billboard Monday that the deal had not yet been finalized.

According to the Cuban reports, The Stones will perform on the grounds of Havana’s Ciudad Deportiva, a sports complex bult in 1957.

Talk of a Stones’ concert has been spreading around Havana since Mick Jagger visited the city last October.

The band is currently on its "Olé" tour of Latin American stadiums. If The Rolling Stones do play Cuba, it will be after two shows in Mexico City on March 14 and 17, the last dates currently announced on the group's website.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:02pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 9:07am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)