Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SONG LYrics: WINTER...Who/What is this about? (Read 3,963 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
SONG LYrics: WINTER...Who/What is this about?
Feb 3rd, 2015 at 5:57pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I have been listening to this song everyday (m-f) for about a month...The lyrics are not great...but are rather direct...The guitar totally carries the song...as does Jagger's voice...who is this song about...what is it about....what is your interpretation of the lyrics?
===============================================

And it's sure been a cold, cold winter
And the wind ain't been blowin' from the south
It's sure been a cold, cold winter
And the light of love is all burned out

It sure been a hard, hard winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer
And the light of love will be burnin' bright

And I wish I'd been out in California
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

It sure been a cold, cold winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And the fields has all been brown and fallow
And the springtime take a long way around

Yeah, and I wish I'd been out in Stony Canyon
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

Sometimes I think about you, baby
Sometimes I cry about you
Lord well well well

Sometimes I wanna wrap my cold around you
Sometimes I wanna keep you warm
Sometimes I wanna wrap my cold around you
Sometimes I wanna burn a candle for you

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Re: SONG LYrics: WINTER...Who/What is this about?
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 7:59pm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Winter" is a song by English rock and roll band the Rolling Stones featured on their 1973 album Goats Head Soup.
It bears many similarities to "Moonlight Mile" from their 1971 album Sticky Fingers. Credited to singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards, "Winter" is likely the work of Jagger and the Stones' lead guitarist at the time, Mick Taylor. It was the first song recorded for the album and does not feature Richards at all. On the song, Bill Janovitz says in his review, "Here they were in sunny Jamaica, and the Stones were writing and recording an entirely convincing and evocative picture of a Northern Hemisphere winter. Perhaps they were so happy to be escaping the season they felt that starting the sessions with "Winter" could transition them out of the old and into the new climate. Though it bemoans many of the negatives of the season [in the] lyrics... "Winter" seems to simultaneously celebrate the season as something inherently beautiful, with other evocations of holiday scenes and wanting to wrap a coat and keep a lover warm."[1]
“      It sure been a hard, hard winter, My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground; And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer; And the light of love will be burnin' bright      ”
“      And I wish I been out in California, When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out; But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle, And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 8:01pm
I Love it, Thanks Mick and Mick!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 4:40am
I read somewhere that some person remembered that it was about some prostitute, but I don't remember where I read it. I also read somewhere that "She's a Rainbow" was inspired by that women's time of the month. But I don't remember.
I'm glad to have been of any assistance at all. [??] So, what the hell, here's a clip that sort of matches my feminine side.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:08am
It's not really about anything.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:20am
Zack wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:08am:
It's not really about anything. 

It's The Blues of Cold Short Winter Days IMO
a very good Stones song one that always good to hear!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:12am
" I have been listening to this song everyday (m-f) for about a month...The lyrics are not great...but are rather direct...The guitar totally carries the song...as does Jagger's voice...who is this song about...what is it about....what is your interpretation of the lyrics? "

***************  " SIGH !!!!!  "  *****************

|
|
|
V

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 9:33am
I don't know why, but when I listen to it on warm days, it has no effect on me…but on cold days, it makes sense!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:53am
While Moonlight Mile has always seemed to be about the ending of an evening or weekend/bender of hard partying (didn't Greil Marcus say it was best listened to with a glass of scotch at 6am watching the sun come up?), I always imagine "Winter" is about the kind of tired you get when you've been, well, hanging out with too many speed freak drag queens for too long, like, say months. It seems a very New York song to me (though the references are squarely in the UK vernacular (restoration plays, etc.)).

Months and months of dealing with or having to deal with crazy, drug-addled wispy drama queens, everybody strung out, everybody involved in some shady scene, none of which hold any interest or charm any longer. Like, that morning when you wake up and you've had another party at your place and those two passed out half naked on the couch and you're like, oh great, THEY hooked up? What a shitstorm THAT is going to start and then there's someone sitting upright in the living room listening to, like, Bahaus or something, or maybe it's two of them, still chattering away about some new idea for a band or a movie or a road trip that's never going to happen, because those two people don't like each other sober anyways, and you look at all the flotsam and jetsam, the mirrors and the half-done lines and there's a goddamn used condom on the bathroom floor. And it's raining. And you're like, Jesus. This shit has gotten boring.

I always thought of it as Mick having a catharsis with the whole kind of Lou Reed-y seediness of early 70s New York. Like, once this glitter was enchanting, but now it's just boring and I'm lamenting the passing of it.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:58am by SheRat »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:47am
" While Moonlight Mile has always seemed to be about the ending of an evening or weekend/bender of hard partying (didn't Greil Marcus say it was best listened to with a glass of scotch at 6am watching the sun come up?), I always imagine "Winter" is about the kind of tired you get when you've been, well, hanging out with too many speed freak drag queens for too long, like, say months. It seems a very New York song to me (though the references are squarely in the UK vernacular (restoration plays, etc.)).

Months and months of dealing with or having to deal with crazy, drug-addled wispy drama queens, everybody strung out, everybody involved in some shady scene, none of which hold any interest or charm any longer. Like, that morning when you wake up and you've had another party at your place and those two passed out half naked on the couch and you're like, oh great, THEY hooked up? What a shitstorm THAT is going to start and then there's someone sitting upright in the living room listening to, like, Bahaus or something, or maybe it's two of them, chattering away about some new idea for a band or a movie or a road trip that's never going to happen, because those two people don't like each other sober anyways, and you look at all the flotsam and jetsam, the mirrors and the half-done lines and there's a goddamn used condom on the bathroom floor. And it's raining. And you're like, Jesus. This shit has gotten boring.

I always thought of it as Mick having a catharsis with the whole kind of Lou Reed-y seediness of early 70s New York. Like, once this glitter was enchanting, but now it's just boring and I'm lamenting the passing of it. "

Absolutely Outstanding Posting !!!!!!   ... Well Done  ..... Super !

She Rat   --- Please feel free to take the rest of the day off work .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ. " Snuggles " Fly ! ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:56am
Thank you, Joey. Today's my birthday though, so I'll prolly be drunkposting later.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 12:04pm
" Thank you, Joey. Today's my birthday though, so I'll prolly be drunkposting later.   "

Happy Happy Twenty - First  Birthday She Rat   !!!!!!!

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 4:06pm
Merry Xmas, Sherat!!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 9:09pm
I am sooooo Patsy.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 10:38pm
SheRat wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:56am:
Thank you, Joey. Today's my birthday though, so I'll prolly be drunkposting later.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

Happy Happy's Miss Rat!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Rocks! My favorite Aerosmith record! Thanks, sweetcharmedlife!

And thanks to Paranoid Android for starting this thread and reigniting a love affair with Goats Head Soup!

stu-smiling

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 2:38am
"Winter", like 90% of Stones songs, isn't "about" anything. It's lyrics are purely imagistic designed to complement the music, which always holds precedence.

In short, it's about being tired of winter and hoping for warm weather.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 5:48am
Oh, and belated happy birthday SheRat! Hope it was jolly.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 9:38am
The spring time does take the long way around.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 3:19pm
Thanks, Mr. Yeats!

The groundhog saw his shadow on Monday. And I hear in Glasgow the weather's very spring-like.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 4:22pm
It's about 5 and a half minutes. LOL

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 10:33pm
I love Winter and all of Goats Head Soup.  I've decided that when anyone asks me, I'm going to call it my favorite album, despite the beating it's taken in Morrissey's Autobiography and Marlon James' great novel, A Brief History of Seven Killings (recommended to all Bob Marley fans).

However, as far as what Winter is "about," let us consider Lester Bangs' declaration in his period review of the album: "Van Morrison started his career imitating Mick Jagger, and now Mick is ending his career by returning the favor."  It stings, but it explains a lot.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 11:54pm
Lester Bangs was liable to say anything, and he usually did.
Whether Van copped Jagger's mannerisms is doubtful, as they both had the same influences and were/are very different and distinct singers, even in the mid-'60s.

What would be wrong with Mick comping a bit of Van's style anyway? Jagger's always been a musical sponge. He could do a lot worse. I suppose "Winter" could reflect a bit of Morrison's vibe, but who knows? And Jagger "ending his career" in '73? Lester knew that wasn't close to being true at the time, but knew that his own career was on the wane so he drank more and took more drugs and said amusing, highly inflammatory, and often nonsensical things in print. Poor old Lester.
And what 'stings' and what is explained?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 3:00am
SheRat wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:53am:
While Moonlight Mile has always seemed to be about the ending of an evening or weekend/bender of hard partying (didn't Greil Marcus say it was best listened to with a glass of scotch at 6am watching the sun come up?), I always imagine "Winter" is about the kind of tired you get when you've been, well, hanging out with too many speed freak drag queens for too long, like, say months. It seems a very New York song to me (though the references are squarely in the UK vernacular (restoration plays, etc.)).

Months and months of dealing with or having to deal with crazy, drug-addled wispy drama queens, everybody strung out, everybody involved in some shady scene, none of which hold any interest or charm any longer. Like, that morning when you wake up and you've had another party at your place and those two passed out half naked on the couch and you're like, oh great, THEY hooked up? What a shitstorm THAT is going to start and then there's someone sitting upright in the living room listening to, like, Bahaus or something, or maybe it's two of them, still chattering away about some new idea for a band or a movie or a road trip that's never going to happen, because those two people don't like each other sober anyways, and you look at all the flotsam and jetsam, the mirrors and the half-done lines and there's a goddamn used condom on the bathroom floor. And it's raining. And you're like, Jesus. This shit has gotten boring.

I always thought of it as Mick having a catharsis with the whole kind of Lou Reed-y seediness of early 70s New York. Like, once this glitter was enchanting, but now it's just boring and I'm lamenting the passing of it.

Wow. best post I've read in ages. Time for a late night Goats Head Soup spin.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 1:08pm
SheRat wrote on Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:07pm:
And thanks to Paranoid Android for starting this thread and reigniting a love affair with Goats Head Soup!

You are quite welcome.
I,too, have a great regard for GHS. I really consider it to be (if there must be one) The Stones at their best Sgt Pepper's period. I think it is full of imagery, experimentation (without self-indulgence), mood, and intention.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)