Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Upcoming Archival (Bootleg Series) Wishes (Read 67,783 times)
gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Paris, France
Re: Upcoming Archival (Bootleg Series) Wishes
Reply #225 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Listening to it on the cans right now and...wow, what sound. We already knew that but Ronnie was a great lead player when he first joined...they were right to release the '78 show first, it doesn't sound like the same band or the same lead guitar player. I guess Billy "the facile musician that Keith was happy to see gone" Preston has something to do with it. Nice to see they included his tunes here, he must be smilin' up there.

IP Logged

StonesFan1990
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #226 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:20pm
gotdablouse wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:09pm:
Listening to it on the cans right now and...wow, what sound. We already knew that but Ronnie was a great lead player when he first joined...they were right to release the '78 show first, it doesn't sound like the same band or the same lead guitar player. I guess Billy "the facile musician that Keith was happy to see gone" Preston has something to do with it. Nice to see they included his tunes here, he must be smilin' up there.

I think it was the departure of Billy Preston, also I think in 1975 the Stones were still trying to go for the "clear difference between lead and rhythm live" dynamic which they had with Taylor, but at some point decided that it was better for Keith and Ronnie to trade leads and solos--To be more like Brian and Keth. As the new guy, stepping into Mick T's shoes for the first time in '75, I think Ronnie did as much as he could to be the "lead player" that Mick was, but then he or the band decided on the "weaving" method instead.
And Billy's contributions to the band are unsung in some ways, he helped contribute to their live sound in the 70s. It's why I hope LA '75 is released on DVD someday because then you'd have DVDs of pretty much every version of the band--The Brian Years, a few DVDs of the Mick Taylor years, The Mid 70s with Ronnie (a transitional period), 1978 Texas, 1981 (the last smaller Stones shows), and 1989 and onward.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #227 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Oh my god, the story about Keith passing out at Muddy Waters' house and waking up in Howlin' Wolf's house is PRICELESS!

...&&&&
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #228 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:29pm
The "LA Friday" .flac files' sound (and mix) is revelatory and incredibly engaging.  I won't be kicking out my VGP "Gold" discs, though - there's a great vibe in Mike Millard's AUD capture.  Bless 'em both.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #229 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:45pm
My first shows were in 75.
Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in June
Rich Stadium in August.

Can someone PLEASE burn this into a CD for me.
PM Me.

xoxo
LJ

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #230 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:50am
FPM wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:42pm:
Oh my god, the story about Keith passing out at Muddy Waters' house and waking up in Howlin' Wolf's house is PRICELESS!

Agreed.
His explanation of how The Stones woke America up to their own music was also good.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #231 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:29am
Yep, as well as his explanations on the Brian/MickT/Ron interactions. Mick looks "different" in that video, looks like he'd just had his eyes "stretched" or something...interesting that he mentioned Ollie North too, wonder what happened to him after he became uninvited like Billy. Anyone ever remember reading anything about what happened at the time with Billy? I mean he was around at the El Mocambo (doesn't look like he played on stage though) since he started Miss You with Mick over there and then he didn't make it to the Paris sessions...all I could find was "The Stones and Preston parted company in 1977, mainly due to a row over money" on his wikipedia page...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #232 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:32am
StonesFan1990 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:20pm:

I think it was the departure of Billy Preston, also I think in 1975 the Stones were still trying to go for the "clear difference between lead and rhythm live" dynamic which they had with Taylor, but at some point decided that it was better for Keith and Ronnie to trade leads and solos--To be more like Brian and Keth. As the new guy, stepping into Mick T's shoes for the first time in '75, I think Ronnie did as much as he could to be the "lead player" that Mick was, but then he or the band decided on the "weaving" method instead.
And Billy's contributions to the band are unsung in some ways, he helped contribute to their live sound in the 70s. It's why I hope LA '75 is released on DVD someday because then you'd have DVDs of pretty much every version of the band--The Brian Years, a few DVDs of the Mick Taylor years, The Mid 70s with Ronnie (a transitional period), 1978 Texas, 1981 (the last smaller Stones shows), and 1989 and onward.

It was what was happening at the time... in 73 Stones still payed faster and shows were quicker, but the enrgy made that moot. By 75, bands were becoming bloated, and playing songs really long and drwn out. The Stones just were a part of it, not even so much willingly, it was just in the atmosphere and what was expected... it is great that we see how they, no matter, could roll and evolve. With every new tour and channge in pop and all the street music too, The Stones ate it up, and kept giving it back to us... by 78, they not only went back to the weave Keith and Brain had been working on and dropping the long extened songs like YCAGWW, Shelter, Sympathy... they weaved, added all new songs and tore through their setlists... with 73, 75 and 78 at our disposal to really listen to, it's like hearing truly three different bands, but the same band... talk about being able to metamorphosize! Non band pops into my mind that not only was able to be themselves, remain authentic, while still being contemporary and reaching so many, in other words being succesful as all get out!!! And add the sexuality, drugs and overall craziness of the creativity... Just listening to Happy on 75, the wheels fall the fuck off, but someohow they get through and end up blowing the doors off the place anyway!!! Fuck !!! Preaching to the choir again, I guess! Enjoy your Passover, happy freedom from bondage day!!!

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #233 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 9:23am
gotdablouse wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:29am:
..interesting that he mentioned Ollie North too, wonder what happened to him after he became uninvited like Billy...

After his stint playing percussion on TOTA 1975, North was at the center of national
attention during the Iran-Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. North was
a National Security Council staff member involved in the clandestine sale of weapons
to Iran, which served to encourage the release of U.S. hostages from Lebanon. North
formulated the second part of the plan: diverting proceeds from the arms sales to
support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua (funding to the Contras had been
prohibited under the Boland Amendment amidst widespread public opposition in
the U.S. and controversies surrounding human rights abuses by the Contras).

North was charged with several
felonies and convicted of three,
but the convictions were later
vacated, and the underlying
charges dismissed due to the
limited immunity agreement
granted for his pre-trial public
Congressional testimony about
the affair.

In 1991, Oliver North appeared on the first season of The Jerry Springer Show.

In 1994, North unsuccessfully ran for the Senate as the Republican
candidate in Virginia. On the eve of the election, former first lady
Nancy Reagan told a reporter that North had lied to her husband
when discussing Iran-Contra with the former president, effectively
stopping his campaign. North lost to incumbent Democrat Charles
Robb, a son-in-law of (Some Joey Content alert!) President Lyndon
B. Johnson.

North is currently the host of the television show War
Stories with Oliver North, and a regular commentator
on Hannity, both on the Fox News Channel.

He is generally remembered as a dick, and the worst
percussionist the Stones ever worked with.

http://static5.imagecollect.com/thumbnail/560/afcbe2e0d3e065c
Ollie Brown, on
the other hand,  
currently works
in the real estate
industry.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 9:31am by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #234 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:01am
Nice work and nice wig for Ollie B.

IP Logged

StonesFan1990
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #235 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:12am
Pdog wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:32am:
StonesFan1990 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:20pm:

It was what was happening at the time... in 73 Stones still payed faster and shows were quicker, but the enrgy made that moot. By 75, bands were becoming bloated, and playing songs really long and drwn out. The Stones just were a part of it, not even so much willingly, it was just in the atmosphere and what was expected... it is great that we see how they, no matter, could roll and evolve. With every new tour and channge in pop and all the street music too, The Stones ate it up, and kept giving it back to us... by 78, they not only went back to the weave Keith and Brain had been working on and dropping the long extened songs like YCAGWW, Shelter, Sympathy... they weaved, added all new songs and tore through their setlists... with 73, 75 and 78 at our disposal to really listen to, it's like hearing truly three different bands, but the same band... talk about being able to metamorphosize! Non band pops into my mind that not only was able to be themselves, remain authentic, while still being contemporary and reaching so many, in other words being succesful as all get out!!! And add the sexuality, drugs and overall craziness of the creativity... Just listening to Happy on 75, the wheels fall the fuck off, but someohow they get through and end up blowing the doors off the place anyway!!! Fuck !!! Preaching to the choir again, I guess! Enjoy your Passover, happy freedom from bondage day!!!

Amen to everything in this post. It really is like three different bands and they did ride the waves of music well. But in 1975 they were basically doing the same thing as they did in '72 and '73. Many of the songs even had the same arrangements.

1975 to me is really interesting because it's the only live year where Ronnie was THE clearly defined lead guitarist. It showcase his guitar skills in a way future tours and records don't. He is basically doing the same thing on songs like Street Fighting Man or Sympathy that Mick Taylor did, only in his own guitar style.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #236 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:45am
Just listened to some of it on my way to work. Fucking thing rocks! Are you fucking serious? You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #237 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:56pm
Artwork for "Brussels", "Hampton" & "LA Friday". Email me for the uncompressed files.

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #238 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:56pm

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #239 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:57pm

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #240 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:57pm

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #241 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:58pm

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #242 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:59pm

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #243 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:07pm
I'd like some stuff from the Licks Tour. The gig I saw in Utrecht had a nice set, then there was that Exile show in Rotterdam (missed that one..can't have it all I guess) the night after that. Leeds Lungs would be cool for an official release, and there's this show from Shepherds Bush Empire I think I got from Maxy (probably B2B-tour) with a few rarities on the set.  And call me old-fashioned but I want it all on discs.

Other than that, I just hope they release as much deluxe editions as possible in the coming years.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #244 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Was on vacation last week... finally listened the whole show...

Fantastic performance what a fucking great show!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #245 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:42pm
Must be due another release soon?

I'm hearing that the next one (being worked on at the moment) will be a latter day club show - and, if its the one I've been told, its a show that's never circulated as a bootleg.  

Hopefully it'll be 'rising from the flames' in a few weeks...

Still unconfirmed officially, though.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2012 at 4:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #246 - May 20th, 2012 at 5:11pm
Gazza wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 4:42pm:

I'm hearing that the next one (being worked on at the moment) will be a latter day club show - and, if its the one I've been told, its a show that's never circulated as a bootleg.  

You're such a tease. Shit!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #247 - May 20th, 2012 at 7:24pm
Gazza wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 4:42pm:

phily or whatever they did to kick it off in 1981 never circulated, did it? although, i know you said latter...
hmmm?
uncirculated, no?
Date: 7/19/94
Venue: RPM Club - Toronto, Ontario
Setlist:
Live With Me
You Got Me Rockin'
Tumbling Dice
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Monkey Man
No Expectations
Love Is Strong
Brand New Car
Honky Tonk Woman
I Go Wild
Start Me Up
Street Fighting Man
Brown Sugar
Can't Get Next To You

available?

Date: Tuesday, June 8, 1999      
Venue: Shepherds Bush Empire - London, England      
Setlist:
1. Shattered      
2. It's Only Rock 'n Roll      
3. Respectable      
4. All Down The Line      
5. Some Girls      
6. Melody      
7. I Got The Blues      
8. Brand New Car      
9. Moon Is Up (1st time played live)      
10. Saint Of Me      
11. Honky Tonk Woman      
12. You Got The Silver      
13. Before They Make Me Run      
14. Route 66      
15. You Got Me Rocking      
16. Tumblin' Dice      
17. Brown Sugar      
18. Jumping Jack Flash      

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #248 - May 20th, 2012 at 7:34pm
am I close, or did i miss other club shows that never circulated? i'm guessing latter day is 1989 or later....

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #249 - May 20th, 2012 at 7:43pm
both of the shows you listed there are easily available on bootleg.

By 'latter era', I meant Vegas era (1989 onwards)

The following club/theatre shows from that date onwards have never circulated

Toronto 4.9.97
Kona, Hawaii 21.1.98 (Pepsi corporate gig)
Las Vegas 16.11.02 (Private gig)
Toronto 10.8.05
Barcelona 12.7.07 (Deutsche Bank corporate gig)

You're correct about the 1981 show never circulating (it was in Worcester, Ma. 14/9/81). Even the setlist isnt 100% confirmed. Neither of the two gigs at London's 100 Club in 1982 and 1986 have circulated either. The second one was reportedly not even recorded by the band as it was a Stu tribute gig - although according to other rumours, Paul McCartney (who wasnt even there) owns a copy.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2012 at 7:46pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)