Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Van Halen in the studio with Roth (Read 293,714 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: Van Halen in the studio with Roth
Reply #375 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview
May 23, 2012

The American Rock Scene got a chance to talk via phone today with the hot-sauce makin’, hot-rod buildin’, hot-bass playin’ Michael Anthony from Chickenfoot and once upon a time, Van Halen. Most of the interview is about Chickenfoot and some of his passions away from the music. We’ve got the little bit of Van Halen talk transcribed right here:

Compare playing with Joe [Satriani] vs. playing with Eddie [Van Halen]:

They’re both amazing guitar players in their own right but the styles are different so I wouldn’t do a direct comparison. There’s a big difference between the two. Joe doesn’t do the hammer-ons that Eddie does for the most part. I guess if I had to compare them; Ed’s more of a fly by the seat of your pants type of guitar player. Ed’s had some formal training but a lot how he feels whereas Joe explains the whole theory behind it, the chord structure, everything you know. They are both amazing guitar players.

Did you see the last video that David Lee Roth put out?

The black and white video in the woods with his dog, talking about the postponements? Yeah, I watched it and yeah, that’s Dave. He hasn’t changed a bit. Who Knows? Only the band really knows what is going on. I don’t really care to comment on that. I have my own theories on it. To me it sounds kinda interesting that if you are tired and need to re-charge your batteries, you don’t go put 30 shows on sale. [VHND notes that the 30 shows were announced, but most weren't on sale yet]. If I were a fan, I would think that a little odd, to pull the plug on it. It could be the sales, you just don’t know.

I wish them well. They put out a great album, and they’re a great live band… always have been.

Absolutely. Edward looks healthy now.

I heard Eddie’s sober and that’s great.

Would you ever share the stage with Van Halen again?

I don’t know. As time goes on, less and less. Ed’s got his son up there with him now. He’s having a great time with that. I don’t know.  I really couldn’t say. The circumstances would really have to be right. I was always the”never say never” guy in the band. As time goes on, I don’t think about it any more. If it’s gonna happen, it’ll happen. I’m not going to be the one to instigate anything. I’m having a great time in my life doing what I’m doing right now.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #376 - May 24th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Let's jam bitches!

http://youtu.be/WGRl6S98CgU

Wind at my back
face in the sun
All my big ideas done

Big river
rollin'

Listen to a sea shell
you can hear the sea
Listen to a beer glass
that river belongs to me

Big river
rollin'

There's a river runs here
hen it rains we flood
Co-op city first 3 floods
of Charles River mud

Big river
rollin'
Oh, yeah!
Big river
rollin'
Oh, yeah!

Land's edge,
where the East begins,
The debris meets the sea
when the tide comes in

Oh, look out!

Look both ways now

(Solo 1)

Big river
rollin'
Oh, yeah!
Big river
rollin'
Oh, yeah!

Big river
Big river
Oh, yeah!

(Solo 2)

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #377 - May 24th, 2012 at 3:20pm
LOVE THIS SONG !

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #378 - May 24th, 2012 at 6:43pm
PERKS, they burst out And The Cradle Will Rock the other night-

http://youtu.be/VEXL3CsKcOk

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #379 - May 24th, 2012 at 9:12pm
Anyone seen Chickenfoot? They are touring now.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #380 - May 25th, 2012 at 4:53pm
Bitch wrote on May 24th, 2012 at 9:12pm:
Anyone seen Chickenfoot? They are touring now.

Yo B, this blows the doors off CF!

http://youtu.be/FJGs-kgokYo

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #381 - May 31st, 2012 at 11:26am
The band’s record label assigned Ted Cohen to go on tour with them in their glory years. Here’s what he saw.

From LAweekly.com.

By Michael Wilton Thursday, May 31 2012

On the first night of Van Halen’s 1978 world tour, in Madison, Wis., the band burst into the hotel room of their artist development director, Ted Cohen, and threw all of the furniture out of the window.
This was madness, for sure, but a calculated madness. When Cohen — the man sent by the record label to keep them on time and on task — confronted them about the incident, they said they’d read about Led Zeppelin and The Who doing the same thing. Thus, for years to come they left a trail of broken tables, shattered mirrors and stained carpeting in their wake, not to mention fire alarms set off in the middle of the night. The strange thing was the group always took responsibility; in fact, they would budget cash to pay for their hijinks.
That infamous night in Madison began Cohen’s trial by fire with the Southern California hard-rock legends, who went on to pioneer a stadium sound that would help them sell tens of millions of records. Van Halen were equally known for their bad-boy personas, not to mention wardrobes that spawned a whole new generation of hair metalers in Spandex.
Of course, Cohen was no stranger to rock-star behavior. In his role at Warner Music, he’d shared private jets with Fleetwood Mac, received home visits from Prince and witnessed firsthand the Sex Pistols’ breakup.
With Van Halen, he spent huge chunks of time with them during their late-’70s and early-’80s glory years, in tour buses, hotel rooms, radio station green rooms and backstage, where he was given the duty of distributing backstage passes to the cutest girls in the audience. “Sixty or 70 of them would show up backstage,” Cohen says, “and then there was the usual casting call.”
If this sounds sleazy, it was; the band members would determine a dozen or so of this group worthy of the “semi-finals” (Cohen’s words), at which point about half would be invited back to the hotel to party. Next, “the portable bar was rolled in, and an all-nighter took place,” he says.
It’s fair to say Cohen was unprepared for this seemingly nonstop bacchanal. Originally from Cleveland, he preferred a casual uniform of jeans and T-shirts and, rather than feathered bangs, sported short hair and a mustache. These days Cohen lives in the Hollywood Hills, and on the occasion of the band’s latest tour — which hits Staples Center on June 1 and June 9 — and comeback album, A Different Kind of Truth, he reminisced about his time with the act in the bad old days, at the height of their fame and decadence.
“I was there to keep the lightning in the bottle and make sure they kept their heads on straight,” he explains. “Control was elusive, but staying on schedule and on target was mandatory.” The band managed to stay focused due to their first-rate work ethic, he adds, but their disparate personalities would eventually rip them apart.
In 1972 brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen enlisted charismatic frontman David Lee Roth and drummer Michael Anthony to round out their group. Cohen first saw them perform at a rehearsal for Warner Music executives at Whisky a Go Go in early 1978. He immediately predicted big things. “It was obvious just how hard they’d been working for the previous six years,” he says. “Their craftsmanship was excellent: Eddie was a genius on his guitar, and they jelled incredibly well on stage.”
The band’s secret, he came to realize, was that even in stadiums they were able to re-create the feeling of an intimate club show.
In the beginning, the members viewed themselves as a foursome of equals, dividing up the songwriting credits and royalties equally, Cohen says. “It was done with the whole attitude of ‘We’re not going to let anything or anyone beak up this band.’?”
Unfortunately, there was a wild card — Valerie Bertinelli, the stunning star of hit sitcom One Day at a Time. After she and Eddie Van Halen met backstage at a 1980 concert, their unlikely union generated an avalanche of tabloid columns. But Cohen maintains that as soon as the television star appeared on the scene, she began to drive a wedge between the members of the group, Yoko Ono–style. (Neither Van Halen’s nor Bertinelli’s management responded to repeated requests for comment.)
The actress believed Eddie Van Halen should receive the lion’s share of the credit for the band’s triumphs, whereas Roth was essentially expendable, Cohen says. Cohen believed differently, however: “David was an integral part of the band’s success. He was brilliant.”
As a result of Bertinelli’s interference, Cohen adds, Eddie Van Halen began distancing himself from the band, staying in his hotel room and not spending as much off time with the others.
Cohen recalls the guitarist pouring his heart out to him at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, which had recently been purchased by Wayne Newton, shortly after Van Halen and Bertinelli wed in 1981. They spoke from 3 a.m. until dawn, watching workmen in a crane replacing the existing Aladdin sign with a neon one. “We kept hitting the minibar in the room and we got toasted,” Cohen remembers, “and I just felt really bad because Eddie was so utterly depressed.”
Had he erred in marrying Bertinelli? Cohen asked him. “I’ve made a terrible mistake,” Van Halen affirmed with a glum look. (Why the couple stayed together for decades afterward remains a mystery to the record-company man.)
The band’s 1982 album, Diver Down, sold more than 4 million copies, but the band began to unravel. Eddie Van Halen and Roth reportedly clashed over their musical direction, with the latter preferring a more pop-oriented path. Their next work, 1984, sold even better, but that tour brought the band’s creative forces to the brink.
As for Cohen, he became disenchanted with the business, and during a 1984 screening of seminal mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap, decided once and for all to wash his hands of touring. (His decision was based on disgust over the antics of other groups he was simultaneously working with, like Roxy Music and Asia.)
Two months later, he says, he saw Eddie Van Halen “trashed and miserable” at the Palladium, and before long Roth had been booted from the band and replaced by Sammy Hagar.
After quitting his job at Warner, Cohen immersed himself in tech culture. He now helms local digital consulting firm TAG Strategic, which works with multinational entertainment companies.
Meanwhile, after a tumultuous relationship reportedly tarnished by substance abuse and infidelity, Van Halen and Bertinelli divorced in 2005. Cohen was not surprised to see Roth reinstated with the band a year later. “If Valerie had never appeared on the scene,” he opines, “David would probably have never been kicked out in the first place.”
That’s not to say everything is now rosy in Van Halen, as they’ve been plagued by reports of infighting, with dozens of tour dates recently wiped from their schedule.
Yet Cohen remains nostalgic for his time with the group. Their appeal remains, he concludes, in their joyful, childlike approach to music. “I’m absolutely certain they still know how to have a really good time,” he says. “It’s in their blood.”

Love 'em all I says
Let Cupid sort 'em out

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #382 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 4:25pm
This audio was mailed  by an anonymous source. Not sure what venue this is from but clearly from the 2012 tour given the songs they are playing. Love the squeal around 13:10 and the comments that follow - classic. So here ya go Van Halen fans, enjoy the 40 minute sound check. Tough shit here-

http://youtu.be/XycdNC_5cuw

As Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3zoa8_wEs

Light Up the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjl6Jw8PaRw
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2012 at 4:42pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #383 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 3:21pm
There's a buzz in the sports community that Van Halen could be on tap to play Super Bowl 47 next year in New Orleans.

NBC Sports first speculated on the band’s involvement a few weeks ago following comments made by Eddie Van Halen regarding the group’s touring plans.

On the heels of canceling a full run of summer US tour dates, Eddie told USA Today that "a lot of the canceled dates were in cities we already played. So in November we'll hit Japan, and in the new year we'll possibly do something special, but I can't talk about it."

On Monday, NBC Sports made more references to Van Halen’s involvement in the 2013 event while addressing the news that Pepsi is returning to sponsor the half-time show following the departure of Bridgestone.

As sponsor of the Super Bowl halftime show - and, from the sound of it, having greater say in who the act will be - NBC Sports says the SportsBusiness Journal reports that Pepsi will pay "upward of" $7 million per year.

Pepsi reportedly hopes to use the sponsorship to link "its sports and music platforms", via what the marketing types call a "season long music and sports platform that could be leveraged at retail throughout the season and would culminate in the usual Super Bowl halftime appearance by a major musical act."

Van Halen may just fit that Pepsi bill.

Super Bowl 47 is set for February 3, 2013 in New Orleans.

Van Halen wrap up the first leg of their "A Different Kind Of Truth" tour on Tuesday 6-26-12 in New Orleans before taking a summer break.

Stay tuned.

Thanks for the report to HenneMusic.com.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #384 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 1:35pm

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #385 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 2:11pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 9th, 2012 at 1:35pm:

I bet the game will be good.  taylor made smile

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #386 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jul 9th, 2012 at 2:11pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 9th, 2012 at 1:35pm:

I bet the game will be good.  taylor made smile

You will not be greeted by the VH nation! Doo'h

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #387 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Today is the birthday of Rock's undisputed greatest frontman...

Gary Cherone, born this day in 1961!

...&&&&
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #388 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:11pm
FPM wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
Today is the birthday of Rock's undisputed greatest frontman...

Gary Cherone, born this day in 1961!

If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it our time? And what's wrong with a little Van Halen on our time?

When we were kings, with salsa-

http://youtu.be/ZwTcRhYC98Q

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #389 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 5:34pm
http://youtu.be/BbsW_Dp0mpM

Fan-filmed multi-camera video footage of Van Halen’s March 30th show at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is now online.

Fans filmed this from rows 1 and 2 and 17, and audio was recorded separately with a Sony PCM M10 unit with external binaural microphones. This was an excellent show that showcased how tight the band were performing during the tour, and just how much fun they were all having on stage together.

Van Halen were on fire and delivered a stunning version of “Girl Gone Bad” and played the rare “Blood and Fire” where Eddie rips off a killer solo.

Set List (with start time)
Unchained (0:00)
Running with the Devil (5:11)
She’s the Woman (8:45)
Romeo Delight (11:40)
Tattoo (16:49)
Everybody Wants Some (21:22)
Somebody get me a Doctor (27:40)
China Town (31:14)
Jamie’s Cryin (34:36)
Pretty Woman (38:51)
Drum Solo (41:55)
You Really Got Me (44.56)
Blood and Fire (48:39)      
Dance the Night Away (53:00)
I’ll Wait (56:50)
Hot for Teacher (1:01:56)
Women In Love (1:07:05)
Girl Gone Bad (1:11:30)
Beautiful Girls (1:16:05)
Dave & his dogs (1:19:00)
Ice Cream Man (1:23:48)
Panama (1:27:33)
EVH SOLO (1:31:30)
Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love (1:39:54)
Jump (1:45:10)
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012 at 5:56pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #390 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:24pm
When they were Kings and ruled the Earth with an iron fist.

Use extreme caution playing while at work- could destroy your computer network.

http://youtu.be/vro92v-ibzs

and because it's Friday!

Women and Children First
http://youtu.be/GpVCYA4xni8

Fair Warning
http://youtu.be/1e-VgJD1GrY

Diver Down
http://youtu.be/L63qXi6PrMQ

Van Halen I
http://youtu.be/LbWTbu3cux0

Van Halen II
http://youtu.be/jsHG5gFV9xI

http://youtu.be/jsHG5gFV9xI

Have a spectacular fucking weekend with the 6 pack in this order, thanks!!
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:43pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #391 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Eddie Van Halen underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of Diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4 - 6 months.

Van Halen's scheduled November 2012 tour of Japan is currently being rescheduled and the band looks forward to seeing and playing for their fans in 2013.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #392 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:02am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:44pm:
Eddie Van Halen underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of Diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4 - 6 months.

Van Halen's scheduled November 2012 tour of Japan is currently being rescheduled and the band looks forward to seeing and playing for their fans in 2013.

Thanks sweet tea!

Diverticulitis is small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that become inflamed or infected. Most often, these pouches are in the large intestine (colon).

Diverticulitis Down!!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #393 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:10am
Some Guy wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:02am:

Thanks sweet tea!

Diverticulitis is small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that become inflamed or infected. Most often, these pouches are in the large intestine (colon).

Diverticulitis Down!!

So he's full of shit? Grin

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #394 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:39pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:10am:
Some Guy wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:02am:

Thanks sweet tea!

Diverticulitis Down!!

So he's full of shit? Grin

Rock star Eddie Van Halen was on the brink of death recently when doctors battled to save him after his intestines "exploded," the new issue of the National Enquirer exclusively reveals.

The 57-year-old guitarist was clinging to life when he was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain after swallowing a cayenne-based diet concoction, revealed an insider.

Eddie’s wife Janie Liszewski, his son Wolf, 21, and ex-wife Valerie Bertinelli all feared the worst. “Janie was beside him the whole time and Wolf kept a constant vigil,” said a source. “They were sick with worry because he was in so much pain, it really was touch and go.

"Valerie was scared to death Eddie was going to die. Although he’s remarried, Eddie is still close to Valerie, and she was there for him the whole time.”

The cause of his pain was reportedly the Master Cleanse Diet, which the musician had tried because it is supposed to rid toxins from the body but it had disastrous effects. “Eddie’s abdominal region was a disaster area,” disclosed a pal. “The spicy treatment touched off an explosion in his intestines.”

The controversial diet is an extreme regimen that temporarily replaces food with a liquid consisting of water, fresh lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. It promises to bring about a rapid slim down but the lack of nutrition and high spice levels cause concern among health professionals.

"The stress of fad diets increases pressure on the colon, and if the person has diverticulitis there may be leakage from the bowel into the abdomen,” explained Dr. James O’Brien, who has not treated the rocker.

Fortunately for Eddie, he has overcome the health crisis, and his people say: “No further surgeries are needed.”

For the full story, the new issue of the National Enquirer is on newsstands Thursday.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #395 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Gotta love it. The dudes intestines exploded.

Classic VH baby.

Seriously.  You just cant make this shit up.

Nothing can stop the mighty VH from rolling this kind of insane fodder out there for us.

It just gets weirder and weirder.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #396 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Saint Sway wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:08pm:

Classic VH baby.

Seriously.  You just cant make this shit up.

Nothing can stop the mighty VH from rolling this kind of insane fodder out there for us.

THE STONES WISH THEY COULD PRODUCE SOMETHING THIS GREAT.
NOT A BLOODY CHANCE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #397 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:29pm
BILL PERKS wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:22pm:

Classic VH baby.

THE STONES WISH THEY COULD PRODUCE SOMETHING THIS GREAT.
NOT A BLOODY CHANCE.

Stay Frosty PERKS, we don't need to spike the ball.

Dave in Japan getting ready for VH tour there.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:55pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #398 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Classic VH baby.

Yet,they're still more productive than the non-intestine exploding Stones. What the fuck?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #399 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:23am
Not a fair comparison.

How can we be expected to be productive when our bass player is 75 years old??? And VHs bass player is the age of our bass players girlfriend!

Advantage to the mighty intestinal exploding Van Halen!

Don't suck my cock

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)