Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keith On The Wagon (Read 7,760 times)
GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Re: Keith On The Wagon
Reply #25 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 5:12pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 25th, 2010 at 1:15pm:
I hope this is true and helps keep him with us longer. But I can't believe it 100% and in fact wouldnt be surprised in a few months the wagon looks like this....

LOL. Seriously, though, it's about time for Keith to quit getting nuclear wasted. A body can only take so much abuse - especially if he's on seizure meds. Of course, a little weed never hoit...

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Keith sobering up/cutting down and Ronnie out in public and NOT plastered.

At this rate, we might have some mileage in these guys yet. Cling to hope, folks!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #27 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 6:28pm
Best Stones news I've heard in ages! Brian's smile Wow! stu-smiling really?

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #28 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:36pm
"Plus he has started to feel for the first time like it might do him some good to give up the booze for a while."

For a while?  It would do him good to give up booze FOREVER.  I hope he has friends around to support his sobriety better than he did Ronnie's.  I wish him the very best and hope this article is true.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:37pm by Ginda »  

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #29 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:32pm
Maybe its time Keith and us worry more about Legacy than Legend...C,mon Keef give us one more magical flick of the wrist hit!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 7:15am
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2010 at 7:16am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #31 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 8:44am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 7:15am:

That is hilarious!

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #32 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:38am
Keith's new slogan. "It's great to be sober.It's great to be anything." Are you fucking serious?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #33 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:48am
OK let KEEF be a shining example to ALL of us! We ALL know it's HARD to totally quit drinking ~ Who among ROCKS OFF wants to join KEEF and give up the booze? Uh, not that I drink every day but I am a social drinker and enjoy it so I dont think I want to totally quit drinking. Maybe I'll just give up the hard stuff, that's a good start. OK, RO, who among us is brave enough to follow in KEEF's footsteps?

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #34 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:34am
Bitch wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:48am:
OK let KEEF be a shining example to ALL of us! We ALL know it's HARD to totally quit drinking ~ Who among ROCKS OFF wants to join KEEF and give up the booze? Uh, not that I drink every day but I am a social drinker and enjoy it so I dont think I want to totally quit drinking. Maybe I'll just give up the hard stuff, that's a good start. OK, RO, who among us is brave enough to follow in KEEF's footsteps? 

Following in Keith's footsteps gives me another 24 years before I have to give up anything.

IP Logged

2000monkey
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 12:01pm
If Keith is obeying "strict orders" from his doctors I see something more ominous in this story. His health is probably already severely compromised in some way. Failing liver? Hope not.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #36 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 12:59pm
Bitch wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:48am:

Actually I was planning on picking up the slack.......

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #37 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 3:37pm
"But he has watched Ronnie fall well and truly off the wagon last year and he doesn't like what he sees.

"Plus he has started to feel for the first time like it might do him some good to give up the booze for a while."

This makes Joey sad .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #38 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:22pm
A bit of serendipity going on for me, what with Keith drying out and Woody's recent problems.

I'm knowing a LOT of people, nearly all of them Stones fans, who are doing battle with ye olde Demon Alcohol these very recent days. Very insidious how the drink creeps up on you.

It kind of pains me to say it, but Richards holds SOME responsability for a generation of a certain type of people fucking themselves up with various chemicals (he's also responsible for some good things, outside of his musical influence- one of those things would be getting fucked up! There's fucked up, and then there's fucked up, and it's always the intelligent individual's responsability to know the difference).

As a musicianly sort, I've been saying to myself for a while now: there's got to be a way to get the charge, the thrill, the intensity, the inspiration of playing music as you get older without getting completely out of your head and wrecking your health.

I say it's better to survive with your wits and body more intact and maybe just become a boring old master craftsman (ala Lou Reed, Neil Young, Paul Westerberg, etc.) than kill yourself with very dangerous (and artificial) stimulation.

Speaking of good old Young Neil: he was wrong. It's much better to fade away than to burn out.

I think...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #39 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:58pm
OLD STONES ~ YOUNG MEN

Let's grab the world
By the scruff of the neck
And drink it down deeply
Let's love it to death
So button your lip
And button your coat
Let's go out dancing
Let's rock 'n' roll

NEW STONES ~ OLD MEN
I see love, I see misery
Jamming side by side on the stage
In the wind some mournful melody
I can read it like the back of my hand

So as the Stones grow older the party lifestyle of their youth, and ours, is now turning reflective and what was once considered fun is can now be viewed as misery. Jamming side by side on the stage. Brilliant!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 5:33pm

'Back Of My Hand' isn't exactly an ode to the Stones party days of yore...
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2010 at 5:36pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #41 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 5:44pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:38am:
Keith's new slogan. "It's great to be sober.It's great to be anything." Are you fucking serious?

"It's great to be alive" is a good start!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #42 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 6:47pm
GotToRollMe wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 5:44pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:38am:

"It's great to be alive" is a good start!

Yes it is. Smiley

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #43 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 4:12am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:22pm:

It kind of pains me to say it, but Richards holds SOME responsability for a generation of a certain type of people fucking themselves up with various chemicals (he's also responsible for some good things, outside of his musical influence- one of those things would be getting fucked up! There's fucked up, and then there's fucked up, and it's always the intelligent individual's responsability to know the difference).

sorry mr. yeats but i don't buy it for a minute and i doubt (if i may may be presumptuous) that keith would either - all keith has done is show that you can party hard ...indeed very hard...but you have to know your limitations (and , granted, have a degree of luck)

people's  decisions are their own responsibility...the gods know i have done some things of monumental stupidity and some of them, i admit, based on my own juvenile "what would keith do" ideas (see also HST) but i would never suggest that he was "responsible" for my actions and as i say i am sure he would also deny this responsibility - he has always maintained he's a musician - not some life -style guru

it is an anti-Stones position to Blame It On The Stones! (imho)

btw - for what it's worth - dig your sig.  as would Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker from Howth Castle and Environs

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2010 at 4:44am by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #44 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 2:22pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 4:12am:
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:22pm:

sorry mr. yeats but i don't buy it for a minute and i doubt (if i may may be presumptuous) that keith would either - all keith has done is show that you can party hard ...indeed very hard...but you have to know your limitations (and , granted, have a degree of luck)

people's  decisions are their own responsibility...the gods know i have done some things of monumental stupidity and some of them, i admit, based on my own juvenile "what would keith do" ideas (see also HST) but i would never suggest that he was "responsible" for my actions and as i say i am sure he would also deny this responsibility - he has always maintained he's a musician - not some life -style guru

it is an anti-Stones position to Blame It On The Stones! (imho)

btw - for what it's worth - dig your sig.  as would Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker from Howth Castle and Environs

Yeah, you're right, StonedinOz- I may stand corrected.
"Responsible" is not the word I meant to use; "influence" would be more accurate.
I've always held the position you've put forth (and you're right- Keith has indeed talked about this and
properly claims no responsability), and it's only recently I've been thinking about it- the trmendous cultural/social influence the Stones (and others) have had on young people, outside of the strictly musical sphere.

My parents generation were heavy cig smokers (my particular parents weren't at all); aside from from the lack of medical info on the dangers of cigarettes at the time, it was often considered a "glamorous"
or "sophisticated" habit, especially amongst middle-class people.
Hollywood (the "silver screen") was hugely influential in the '30's and '40's- maybe the single biggest popular influence on young people of the day (musicians and bands hadn't yet reached anywhere near the levels of celebrity they have today, including young Sinatra et al).
I can't help thinking that the musicians of the '60's were as influential- in mostly innocent ways- on the youth of that time. The '60's are, after all, when their celebrity really blew up: way more so than Elvis or even the insipid pop crooners of the '50's. The Stones et al really didn't know what they were doing; they were just trying to live creative lives autonomously from the shadow of their parents war-informed existences.
Although getting high has always been appealing to musicians (and writers- such as Thompson- and artists in general), this era was (I think) the first time it was really recognized and acknowledged in the mainstream culture. Again, not a lot was known about the real dangers of dope and coke (or at least discussed in the mainstream), whilst- ironically- weed and acid were considered harmful. But did rock n' roll types exploit and even glamourize getting high? Of course they did. And Richards continued to for several decades. He talked about publicly it like it was cool or no big deal, far more than Lou Reed or Johnny Thunders ever did, for example. He worked hard at his image. I don't think he meant ill to the young people paying his wages, but, to paraphrase Charlie Parker, he maybe should have kept his bad habits to himself (might have saved himself a lot of grief!)

So is he responsible for some people's bad habits? No. You're correct and so is he. But I don't think you can deny he had a huge impact on the social sensabilities of a LOT of young people. And it wasn't always for the better.

"In the name of the former and of the latter and of the holocaust. Allmen".- JJ

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #45 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 2:45pm
Well, I remember in those days (60's) a lot of us didn't know Keith used Heroin, even up to the early 70's, we didn't have the mass media information we have today, we only heard it in rock magazines, Rollin' Stone, Ramparts, Crawdaddy, Circus, etc. when the movie "Gimme Shelter" came out, it was the first time a lot of us actually saw a film of what the Stones were like & acted outside of the stage, I, for one copied Keith's hair style, his walk, smoking cigarettes, etc & I know a few other guys who did the same thing, we all thought he was & is so cool, I liked his personality.
As far as drugs goes, yes, hippie drugs-Cannabis & Hallucinogens, Heroin & Cocaine was rich man's drugs in the early 70's, I was always afraid of being a Heroin addict, so I stayed away from that, & Cocaine was very expensive.
Keith certainly influenced me when I was a teenager.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #46 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 2:54pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:32am:
For Keith to do this, it should show Ronnie to do something about his drinking, but time will tell.

Alas, I doubt that Ronnie is looking.  And (IMHO) Ronnie looked absolutely horrible in that last header shot.  He's going downhill and fast at this stage.  I am very concerned and don't expect him to live if he keeps up the boozin'.  Keith was sober enough to see that.  Ronnie may be a goner at this point.  I am truly very worried about him.

Good for Keith!  He looks great.  I am relieved to hear this news!

xoxoxo,
Martha

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:54am

GET OFF MY CLOUD, PUFFS STONE KEITH

STILL SMOKING: Keith

Tuesday February 2,2010

HE HAS quit the booze but rock legend Keith Richards has drawn the line when it comes to giving up smoking.

The 66-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist has reportedly given up the bottle after decades of heavy drinking.

The hard-living star sustained serious head injuries when he fell out of a palm tree in Fiji four years ago and he’s said to have been warned by doctors that his hedonistic lifestyle is finally taking its toll. He was said to be alarmed by the sight of pal and bandmate Ronnie Wood falling off the wagon recently.

Despite being alcohol-free, pals insist Keith has no intention of giving up cigarettes.

“Smoking is now Keith’s one and only vice and he isn’t stopping,” says one friend. “He’s done very well on the drinking front but he’s been a heavy smoker since his teens and that’s one pleasure he’s simply not prepared to give up.”

Richards has regularly smoked on stage over the years and even landed the band in hot water by ignoring cigarette bans in venues.

His more health-conscious bandmate Sir Mick Jagger quit the evil weed many years ago. “Keith simply can’t start the day properly without a cigarette,” we’re told.

Keith even hopes the ban will be lifted so he can spark up inside in the warm.

“It’s a bit of a drag because you’ve got to freeze your ***** off to light a cigarette,” he’s grumbled in the past.

“You’ve got to go outside. It’s draconian, social, politically correct bull****.

“They’ll get over it. It’s like prohibition, they tried to stop booze once. Ha! Look what happened. It ruined America.”

And despite being sober these days, Keith has insisted his hedonistic lifestyle was always under control, insisting:

‘”I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had a problem with  the police, though.”

Daily Express

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #48 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:12pm
I look at Keith quitting as another part of his legend. No rehab he just stops cause his constitution is that strong or tough.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #49 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 4:10pm
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:12pm:
I look at Keith quitting as another part of his legend. No rehab he just stops cause his constitution is that strong or tough.

Little stronger than the U.S. constitution at this point. Spooky post

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)