Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Empower Field Mile High, Denver CO, June 20, 2024 © Helen H. Richardson/The Denver Post

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
U2 Live Webcast 10/25 (nsc) (Read 2,080 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

U2 Live Webcast 10/25 (nsc)
Oct 19th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

LIVE ON YOUTUBE. THIS SUNDAY.
19 October 2009

California, US  U2 have confirmed via video blog that their sold-out concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in California, this Sunday, 25th October, will be streamed free, in full and live on YouTube. It's the first time a show of this size will be streamed live.

The Rose Bowl show is the penultimate U2 show this year - with more to come in 2010 - and already is set to host the venue's biggest ever audience of over 96,000 fans. The 360° Tour, which has been critically acclaimed and 're-invents rock'n'roll' (Rolling Stone Magazine), will now boast unique access for fans worldwide - as fans in territories yet to be visited by the tour, or not at all, will be able to enjoy the whole show online.

Managed in partnership with Live Nation, this sell-out tour has broken attendance records in most venues it has visited - its success due in part to increased capacity coupled with a lower ticket price and great sight lines afforded by the stunning in-the-round stage set.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness said, 'The band has wanted to do something like this for a long time. As we're filming the LA show, it's the perfect opportunity to extend the party beyond the stadium. Fans often travel long distances to come to see U2 - this time U2 can go to them, globally.'

YouTube will be streaming live across five continents. The show will be available in the usual You Tube way, as video-on-demand, following two full replays - after the live stream - on both U2.com and You Tube.

'YouTube is thrilled to be able to provide our global audience with a live streaming performance from one of the world's greatest bands,' said Chris Maxcy, Director of YouTube Partner Development. 'We are always looking for new ways to connect fans around the world with their favourite artists, and this is the perfect opportunity to do just that.'

For more information stay tuned or visit YouTube.

www.u2.com
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 3:53pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: U2 Live Webcast 10/25 (nsc)
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 4:03pm
No way I'm giving up Desperate Housewives for this!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 5:20pm
Oh no! not you again

The Rolling Stones did it 1994 when Internet was not as popular as it is nowadays

Copy cats!

Ouch!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 5:20pm:
Oh no! not you again

The Rolling Stones did it 1994 when Internet was not as popular as it is nowadays

Copy cats!

Ouch!

and if you think about it...the Pay-per-view from Hampton 81 was the internet streaming of the day!!!

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Hopefully someone can capture this or I can catch the replay. This got bumped off the schedule a few weeks ago by Ennio Morricone conducting the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:29pm

From today's Lefsetz Letter:

U2 360

What kind of crazy fucked up world do we live in where a band's stage is more important than their music?

The U2 tour opened across the pond, and has been slowly working its way west across America.  Tonight it lands in Pasadena, California.  And if you think the most important story in the Los Angeles Basin is the proposed football stadium, or gang warfare, or anything with substance, you'd be wrong.  Because the entire mainstream media has been hoodwinked by Paul McGuinness and Live Nation.  The biggest story in L.A. this weekend is the U2 concert.

Fewer than 100,000 of the nearly 13 million residents will attend, but the hype would have you believe that every resident is focused, that U2's show is akin to last fall's Presidential election.

And the story is not the music.  Who gives a shit about music?  The story is the STAGE!

Having finally popped for one of those new-fangled HD screens, my trusty cathode-ray Sony having finally bit the dust, I fire up the thing at every opportunity, trying to get my money's worth.  Figuring, based on my cable bill, it costs about twenty five dollars every time I hit the on button, trying to lower my cost, however irrational that may seem, on Friday I found myself watching the local news, which is now like viewing a high school production.  Did you know that Jennifer is dating Adam?  Yup, you can check them out at tonight's dance!  After the football game!

Really, the news when I turned in was high school football.  Not a game, but a tragedy.  Which I'll mercifully refrain from detailing here.  But then, these two besuited anchors, who despite their cheeriness looked like they both needed a good fuck, to shock them into reality, started waxing rhapsodic about the U2 show.

Yup, there are only 20,000 parking spaces.  Take the train, take the bus, take a helicopter.  LEAVE NOW!

Actually, they're promoting tailgating.  Get there around noon, to be sure you don't miss a note.  Wait a second, they have football games at the Rose Bowl all the time, they sell out and the whole county doesn't take a massive shit.  Why, if U2 is there, is it such a crisis?

Credit Colonel Parker.  That's what Arthur Fogel and Paul McGuinness have built here.  A massive story that an unquestioning press is buying hook, line and sinker.  It's almost balloon-boy redux.  Hell, like little Falcon said, THEY'RE DOING IT FOR THE SHOW!

And the linch-pin is the stage.

It gets a full page in today's L.A. "Times".  In color.

A paper so thin it almost floats away, with a pop critic that lives in Alabama is devoting an entire page to the inner-workings of U2's stage set.  This is like dedicating a full page to the "Hannah Montana" TV set.

But it's pretty impressive.  It's 170 feet tall.  Modeled after the inane Theme restaurant at LAX that no one ever goes to.  You see the picture and you…want to go.

We've been trained that everything is national.  That there are no more local stories.  But whereas no one cared about the national roll-out for U2's latest album, this city by city unveiling of their traveling show is making headlines.  It's like the circus has come to town.

In today's "New York Times", there are album reviews?  Why would I read them?  Like I'm going to trust these critics?  Like online isn't the bible here?

In other words, the U2 camp is savvy enough to know that music is no longer the selling point.  You've got to deliver spectacle.  Bigger and better.

And since, unlike Madonna, they don't want to prostitute the music, don't want to dance and employ changing sets, they're utilizing the old concept of the Fillmore East light show and pumping it up with STEROIDS!

How many ways is this tour wrong?

After touring all summer, it is still not in profit.

The carbon footprint supersedes a whole field of cattle, never mind jets and cities.

It's inefficient.

But it has achieved its goal.

Which is getting people to pay attention.

The missteps with U2 this year have been legion.  When people were paying attention, at awards shows, the band played the lame "Get On Your Boots".

And taking the money instead of the hype, playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates instead of the Yankees, U2 made a deal with BlackBerry as opposed to Apple.

But they got it right with the live show.  They've accomplished the one thing integral to success in today's music business, getting everybody to pay attention.

Not enough people listen to the radio.  No one watches MTV for music.  Writing on records is too voluminous to follow.

But everybody seem to be interested in their stage set.

News organizations focus on the new and novel.  People don't want to be left out.  And fans, aware of previous extravaganzas, don't want to miss out on this one time event either.

So, even though the TV station said falsely that the gig had sold out in four hours, at the same time other news outlets were stating that the band hoped to fill the Rose Bowl and set a new attendance record, the goal has been accomplished.

You've got to spend money to make money.  By laying out so much dough, erecting something so fantastic, U2 has managed to focus every community it plays in upon them.

But what do they do next?  Take over Manhattan?  Play on the moon?

www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-u2-stage25-2009sep25-i,0,2216762.htmlst...

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:17pm
U2 is getting a lot of hype about that Youtube concert that going to happen in about 15 minutes, I wonder if the Pope will stay up & watch it!

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:26pm

8:30 Cali time, HOS.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:40pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:39pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:26pm:
8:30 Cali time, HOS.

Oh yeah, thanks for letting me know, I'm in Toronto, people on Youtube are freaking out, where's the concert??????

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 8:38pm
I wouldn't be able to stay up that late anyway..... Wink

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 9:58pm
OKAY...I'll bite...Left Shoe...your main gripe is not the BAND...or the MUSIC...as it is the the STAGE and SET are getting all the hype...

For this I will say that I am, at the present time, in PARTIAL agreement with you...had this been 3 weeks ago...I would say 100% behind you!!!

That is when i saw this tour...I promised my wife that i would take her...and i did...I scored some papered tkts "day of" for 30 bucks each...about 20 feet away from the idiots who paid $250.00...5 rows from the field at the side of the stage by the "blessed" Code Red" seats ON the stage...which BTW SUCKED from my perspective...and REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoyed it...the stage was SPECTACULAR!!! The SOUND was the BEST (if I could make the type larger, I would) I have ever heard at ANY concert...

U2...has taken the latest technology and used it to make something as impersonal as a stadium concert and REALLY make it personable

All I am saying is don't knock it until you tried it!!!

Peace!

ps...I simply ask...and not looking for a debate, argument, or blah blah blah...would you ever write the same commentary and substitute the "ROLLING STONES" for the "U2" ?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:03pm

PA -
That's Bob Lefsetz's opinion, not mine.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:25pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:03pm:
PA -
That's Bob Lefsetz's opinion, not mine.

If i can take my foot out of my mouth right now...I would say..."Sincerest apologies..."

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:36pm

No worries.

For what it's worth, I saw U2 last month and loved it.
The performance was top notch, and the sound impeccable.

Can't proffer an opinion on the stage though - I was under The Claw in the GA section...  Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:10pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:23pm
all i have to say is...if you are not watching this show right now...you are missing out...what a joy it would be to watch the STONES do this for their fans...all of us watching it in real time...instead of waiting for the text msg of the next song...simultaneous summits all ver the country...how cool would that be!!??!!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Rocks Off Regular

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:26pm
I must say the sound is very good. Yeah pretty cool concept. Kind of like a live bootleg as it's happening. You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #16 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:23am

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:06am
That claw looks a lot like Bowie's Glass Spider Tour set-up.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:16am

Hot on the heels of last night's webcast, the 2010 NA tour dates have been announced.  

6/6 Anaheim CA - Angel Stadium      
6/12 Denver CO - Invesco Field      
6/16 Oakland CA - Oakland Coliseum      
6/20 Seattle WA - Qwest Field      
6/23 Edmonton AB - Commonwealth Stadium      
6/30 East Lansing MI - Spartan Stadium      
 7/3 Toronto ON - Rogers Centre      
 7/6 Chicago IL - Soldier Field      
 7/9 Miami FL - Land Shark Stadium      
7/12 Philadelphia PA - Lincoln Financial Field      
7/16 Montreal QC - Venue TBA      
7/19 New York NY - New Meadowlands Stadium

www.u2.com/tour
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:19am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #19 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:23am
Paranoid Android wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:23pm:
all i have to say is...if you are not watching this show right now...you are missing out...what a joy it would be to watch the STONES do this for their fans...all of us watching it in real time...instead of waiting for the text msg of the next song...simultaneous summits all ver the country...how cool would that be!!??!!

Did you forget about the RIO show? That was broadcast on aol.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #20 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:55am
Holden wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:23am:

Didn't know that about AOL...actually, i didn't know AOL was still around...

i did listen to it on XM or Sirius...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:13am
Here is what I posted on another board -

It was okay but it was a total clusterfuck with so many people. After taking a leak and grabbing popcorn (heading out during the last Black Eyed Peas song) I had to wait 30 mins just to get back to my seat. As a matter of fact when I wondering if I was going to miss the opening, suddenly opening with 3 new songs made sense.

They should have discarded the notion of another monument to their own popularity and done 2 shows in a smaller stadium. Speaking of which, they are playing Anaheim June 6.

That said, it sounded really good almost in the back but I was almost parralel with a relay tour. And of course, the replay looks like a totally different show.

Highlights were The Unforgettable Fire -> City Of Blinding Lights.

The new stuff didn't sound that bad when I was actually there, but most of the 96,000 people were in front of me and singing along so it was easier to pick up on the vibe. Not sure if I could sit thru them on You Tube.

And it was a surprisingly tight ticket for a stadium show. I did alright though but it took a bit of persistance.

Slash joined Black Eyed Peas for Sweet Child O'Mine.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #22 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:23am
I was watching the Youtube broadcast this morning at 6 a.m. at the above posting I left earlier,  I don't know if this was live or recorded, since it happened last night, don't know what the hell is going on.
Sunday Bloody Sunday & Streets Have No Name was really well done, I guess there will be a recording of this on Youtube, although when I watched it, there was no way to download it.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:32am
Holden wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:23am:

Not quite live. Think there was a half hour delay.

It was fucking great entertainment, though!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 12:58pm

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)