Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Masters of the Form: Sticky Fingers (Read 678 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Masters of the Form: Sticky Fingers
Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:52pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Masters of the Form: The Rolling Stones, 1971 - Sticky Fingers

Gregg Lipkin
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/513

Some artists are more than merely great. There are some artists that for a period of years, a period that is finite, consistently produced music that, it can be argued, far exceeded the work of their peers. For that brief period of time they were definitely Masters of the Form.
One tongue. One set of lips. One titanic album, and the Rolling Stones had changed the course of rock and roll forever. Again.

When the Rolling Stones released Sticky Fingers in 1971 they had already surpassed the expectations of most rock and roll bands. They had proven themselves to be masters of the form with the release of 1968’s Beggar’s Banquet and its 1969 follow up Let It Bleed, the first two in a series of what could quite possibly be the four best successive rock albums released by any band in history. The two superlative discs were musical dictionaries that defined the concept of rock and roll for generations of aspiring musicians. In 1971, the Stones published a new dictionary called Sticky Fingers which defined the concept of rock and roll super stardom. Beggar’s Banquet was a lesson of simplicity, Let It Bleed was a lesson in authenticity and Sticky Fingers was a lesson in audacity.

The Stones never suffered from a shortage of bravado, and with Sticky Fingers, “The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World” taught the world how big balls had to be when they lived on a slab of vinyl housed beneath a working zipper. They made it clear with the album’s artwork that the biggest band in the world was the one that had the biggest set of stones. The Stones also introduced their new logo, the now iconic red lips and tongue and taught another lesson. The biggest band in rock and roll is the biggest brand in rock and roll, and with the release of Sticky Fingers, the Stones became more than a rock band. They became more than masters of the form. They became rock’s answer to Coca-Cola, an instantly recognizable brand enjoyed by millions worldwide. With their previous two releases the group clearly illustrated what it meant to sound like “The Stones”. With Sticky Fingers they illustrated what it meant to be “The Stones”, and “The Stones”, like Coca-Cola, were huge.

Sticky Fingers is big in every respect. It is an album recorded by rock stars at the peak of their powers and every track is filled with a palpable confidence. On Sticky Fingers, the Rolling Stones don’t play roots music with the appreciation they did in 1968 and the authenticity they did in 1969. The Stones attack every track as though the components of rock music are ones they created and strut through the album like rock gods refusing to rest on the seventh day. And the creation itself? It is a collection of some of the biggest, raunchiest and fullest tracks ever recorded.

The album’s bold agenda is showcased in the opening riff of its opening track. The riff that introduces “Brown Sugar”, easily one of the best Keith Richards has ever composed, is so distinctive that guitarists have been trying to rewrite it for decades. The song that follows—the sex of it, the questionable taste of it, the driving rhythm, the howling vocals, the percussive propulsion of the piano, the fullness of the saxophone—is one of such electric vitality that it’s beyond blues, pop or rock and roll. “Brown Sugar” isn’t a rock song at all. It’s a “Stones” song and it introduces an album full of them.

“Sway” is a musical anvil dropped from the roof that is perfectly content to take its time dropping. It’s heavy, it’s in no hurry and it causes immediate damage upon impact, like a girl who can break you “with a corner of her smile”. “Sister Morphine” is a junkie set to music opening coyly, with one vocal and an acoustic guitar, asking nicely for a fix but the request gets louder as the slide guitar echoes through the second verse and louder still as the both the narrator and the slide guitar beg to score. “Moonlight Mile” is an exquisite ballad, combining falsetto vocals, strings and piano, a swan floating by the end of the album after the ugly ducklings have all passed. The best ballad though is “Wild Horses”, a country masterpiece of agony punctuated by the pained perfection of Richards’ background vocals, proof that the Stones were too big to write country songs because they were too busy writing prairies to ride upon.

“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” is a rabid beast, all snarling guitar and vocal claws that go for the jugular immediately and refuse to let go, playing with listeners like their prey through the extended jazz of the ending. It showcases the Stones at their toughest and Mick Jagger, who sings like a man possessed throughout the entire album, is particularly effective hear, screeching and yelping like he’s in competition with Keith Richard’s guitar lick to prove which is tougher. The competition continues during “Bitch”, which could be the biggest song in an album full of them. “Bitch” is a rock and roll sprint, a raging collection of horns, guitar, bass, drums and vocals with so much energy moving so fast that it would be tiring to listen to if it wasn’t so exhilarating. The song is a colossus, a perfect summation of the sheer audacity of the album itself, a perfect portrait of a band that moves from song to song “like a stud kicking the stall all night”. In one year’s time the studs would stop kicking, pack up their shiny new logo and go into Exile…

—Gregg Lipkin

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:53pm by moy »  

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Re: Masters of the Form: Sticky Fingers
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 8:00pm
Goosebumps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting moy! Wink

LJ.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 8:49pm
STONES IS STONES!

Side 1:

Brown Sugar
Sway  
Wild Horses
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell, Rev. Gary Davis)  

Side 2:

Bitch
I Got The Blues
Sister Morphine (Jagger, Richards, Marianne Faithfull)
Dead Flowers  
Moonlight Mile

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Better seen on weed! Smiley Let's go get drunk

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:40pm
It's one of those Records I had several copies of and wore Out, at least 2 vinly, 2 or 3 cassettes 1 CD and getting ready to buy the new CD. One of the greatest albums, cassettes, and or cd's in the Kilroy collection.  Blank Frigging Stare
I remember the first time hearing it, Amazing, Brown Sugar, I never tire of, I think it's one of those songs I'd have to have, somewhere, anywhere I was. It's one of THose album of Many Memory's If you Know what I mean.  really? I always go back in forth on my favorite Stone Album, this one or you know the Other, Exhile on Main Street. Are you fucking serious?.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:42pm by Kilroy »  

050509_record_figers_bcol_standard.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:39am
moy wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:52pm:
[size=24]

The riff that introduces “Brown Sugar”, easily one of the best Keith Richards has ever composed...

well, while it does sound  very Keith like in fact
Mick wrote it!!

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:56am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:39am:
moy wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:52pm:
[size=24]

The riff that introduces “Brown Sugar”, easily one of the best Keith Richards has ever composed...

well, while it does sound  very Keith like in fact
Mick wrote it!!

Yeah, that's right, he wrote it on location while filming Ned Kelly, but was this just the words or music? I think Mick was new to playing guitar at that time.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:40pm
it's all mick's as i understand it  and yes it was while he was working on ned kelly which was '69

1 + 1 (aka sympathy for the devil), which was '68, shows that mick knew his way around the guitar at that stage - at least enough to play play a basic rythym track -

Mick also plays guitar on Sway I believe

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)