Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Masters of the Form: Let it Bleed (Read 1,199 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Masters of the Form: Let it Bleed
Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:13pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Masters of the Form: The Rolling Stones, 1969 - Let It Bleed

Article with tracks to listen at http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/112655-masters-of-the-form-the-rolling-stones-...

Some artists are more than merely great. There are some artists that for a period of years, a period that is finite, consistently produced music that, it can be argued, far exceeded the work of their peers. For that brief period of time they were definitely Masters of the Form.

It begins with 40 ominous seconds, dangerous seconds; 40 instantly intriguing seconds that capture the imagination of listeners desperate to find out what happens. It begins with 40 seconds that are more warning than music and the sense of danger is real. When Mick Jagger sings of fire sweeping through the streets “like a red coal carpet” and Merry Cotton’s amazing background vocals crack on the words “rape” and “murder” two-thirds of the way through “Gimme Shelter” the danger seems very real. That’s what makes The Rolling Stones’ 1969 masterpiece Let It Bleed so riveting. Every note of it sounds so damn real.

In 1968, with the release of Beggar’s Banquet, The Stones proved that they were not just another rock band; they were masters of the form. Beggar’s Banquet was the first of what could quite possibly be the four best successive rock albums released by any band in the history of rock and roll. The album was a work of startling simplicity, a collection of songs built around American blues and roots music that invented the concept of what it meant to be “The Stones”. With 1969’s amazing follow up, Let It Bleed, The Stones began to add to this concept. If Beggar’s Banquet is a masterpiece of simplicity then Let It Bleed is a masterpiece of authenticity.

Let It Bleed is as much a description as a title. It is 12” of vinyl with a pulse. It breathed, moved, hissed, growled, laughed, cried, it lusted and it seemed to sit right beside its listeners as it spun on the turntable. “We all need someone we can lean on” Mick sings in the title track over an arrangement that is so simple and spare that he sounds as though he’s offering his shoulder from the next chair. The fact that the rest of the tale, and much of the album, is so raunchy merely adds to its authenticity. A story about a dream involving a stabbing and a junkie nurse is exactly the type of story one would imagine the lead singer of The Rolling Stones telling and the song’s offer of “coke and sympathy” is as natural as the invitation to climb “in between the sheets” from “Live With Me”. In fact, throughout the album there is a sense that Mick Jagger was keenly aware that he was in fact “Mick Jagger” of “the Rolling Stones”, and the image of “the Stones” is as much a part of the album as the music. Lyrically, Jagger never tries to make himself sound like a real guy. Nothing would have been faker than that and there is nothing fake about Let It Bleed.

A British band playing blues music was certainly nothing new by the end of 1969, but on Let It Bleed the Stones surpassed their contemporaries. Their cover of Robert Johnson’s “Love in Vain” isn’t the work of a band that loves blues music but one that has immersed itself in it. The track is so authentic that it doesn’t sound like a cover at all. The entire song flinches as the tale of lost love unfolds through Jagger’s incomparable vocal which howls with loss in falsetto near the end of the track. The music seems to flinch as well. It sounds as broken hearted and worn out as the weathered wooden floorboards of the old Mississippi porch the track sounds like it was recorded on. Similarly, “Country Honk” sounds as though it’s still trying to kick the sawdust off of its boots as it downs one last beer before last call like a recording by a bunch of buddies at any honkey tonk bar in America.

Let It Bleed offered more than roots music though. “Midnight Rambler” slides out of the speakers riding a wave of harp and its own slide guitar. What begins as standard blues is transformed into something more than blues in its frantic middle section. With Mick warning “Don’t do that,” the song becomes part rockabilly rave up and part spoken word performance and it accomplishes both organically from what are essentially blues parts. Musically the song becomes as scattered as the mind of the killer its lyrics describe. Only the swagger of The Stones could have pulled off that song or “Monkey Man” which moves seamlessly from the soul piano flourishes that open the song into a melding of blues and funk that finds Jagger copping to both the band’s messianic and satanic complexes in a schizophrenic blend of something that sounded brand new.

The album ends in as moving a fashion as it began with one of the most beautiful songs The Stones have ever recorded. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is a miracle of music. The song’s opening choir sets it apart dramatically from the rest of the album, but as soon as it gives way to the effortless beauty of the first verse the song fits perfectly. Part elegy and part hymn of hope it examines the death of love and friends while looking forward to a future that will hopefully be better. If “Gimme Shelter” ends on a note of hope with love being just a kiss away, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is the kiss itself and with it, The Stones ended the best album they’d ever recorded. They still hadn’t recorded Sticky Fingers though . . .

—Gregg Lipkin

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:20pm by moy »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Re: Masters of the Form: Let it Bleed
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:16pm
I concur. Wow!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:44am
*Sniff* This review brings tears to my eyes.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:13am
"Merry Cotton": Is that some sort of racially-charged Freudian slip?  Smiley

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:44pm
Great article. Thanks for posting. I spent many houra in front of the mirror lip-synching to the title tune as well as "Monkey Man."

How can you go wrong with a lineup like this?

Gimme Shelter
Love In Vain
Country Honk   
Live With Me   
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Got The Silver 
Monkey Man
You Can't Always Get What You Want

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:35pm
Adding the electric version of Honky Tonk would have made this album best of alltime......I say it is anyway

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:36pm
best Stones EVER!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:37pm
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:35pm:
Adding the electric version of Honky Tonk would have made this album best of alltime......I say it is anyway

This is 60's genius marketing my man....

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 7:56pm
Great review.  It is a great album and he doesn't even mention You Can't Always Get What You Want.  If Honkey Tonk Women had been on the album instead of Contry honk, this could have been the Stone's greatest album.   Who stole this one? (Seriously)

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:28pm
From the last paragraph....

"The album ends in as moving a fashion as it began with one of the most beautiful songs The Stones have ever recorded. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is a miracle of music. The song’s opening choir sets it apart dramatically from the rest of the album, but as soon as it gives way to the effortless beauty of the first verse the song fits perfectly. Part elegy and part hymn of hope it examines the death of love and friends while looking forward to a future that will hopefully be better."

Did you miss this G Twin? 

I strongly disagree on HTW.  This & Jumpin Jack Flash, both released as singles stand on their own merit.  Let It Bleed cannot get any better.  Are you folks saying Country Honk is not worthy?  What am I missing here? CH is frontyard porch material.  It shines.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:49pm
I'm with Corgi. Major lump in the throat, great pride and a feeling that I "got it" a long time ago! Wink

STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:22am
Nellcote wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:28pm:

"The album ends in as moving a fashion as it began with one of the most beautiful songs The Stones have ever recorded. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is a miracle of music. The song’s opening choir sets it apart dramatically from the rest of the album, but as soon as it gives way to the effortless beauty of the first verse the song fits perfectly. Part elegy and part hymn of hope it examines the death of love and friends while looking forward to a future that will hopefully be better."

I strongly disagree on HTW.  This & Jumpin Jack Flash, both released as singles stand on their own merit.  Let It Bleed cannot get any better.  Are you folks saying Country Honk is not worthy?  What am I missing here? CH is frontyard porch material.  It shines.

Agreed, it could not be anymore perfect than as is.

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 6:01pm
Nellcote wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:28pm:

I strongly disagree on HTW.  This & Jumpin Jack Flash, both released as singles stand on their own merit.  Let It Bleed cannot get any better.  Are you folks saying Country Honk is not worthy?  What am I missing here? CH is frontyard porch material.  It shines.

Thanks I guess I did miss it.  I don't think all that much of "Country Honk."  It's ok, but Honkey Tonk is superior by far and it would have made the album better.  My opinion of course.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Yes, best rock album ever, and best rock song : Gimme Shelter, it took me some time to get into it, I found it a bit monotonous on Rolled Gold...I was young and poppy Wink

Does anyone have a link or remember the story posted here about Merry Clayton recalling how she had recorded her part and first met Keith in the studio's hallway without recognizing him ?

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 4:06am
"the four best successive rock albums released by any band in the history of rock and roll." You rock!

just another reason why I am stoked I love this band.

Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post

I get it, you guys get it, and aren't we the lucky ones.

If it looks good, you see it. If it sounds good, you hear it. If it's marketed right, you buy it. But if it's REAL - YOU FEEL IT.

And with the Stones, I always feel it.

taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 6:04am
Deathgod wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 4:06am:
"the four best successive rock albums released by any band in the history of rock and roll." You rock!

just another reason why I am stoked I love this band.

Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post Retarded post

I get it, you guys get it, and aren't we the lucky ones.

If it looks good, you see it. If it sounds good, you hear it. If it's marketed right, you buy it. But if it's REAL - YOU FEEL IT.

And with the Stones, I always feel it.

taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile taylor made smile

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)