Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 314,521 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #625 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Great Book from The Chairman !!!!!!!!!

" I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!! "

... !!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #626 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 8:10am
Thanks Joey for the video's, very interesting, Fallon is the perfect T.V. host for Rock & Roll, love Townshend's stories.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #627 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:57pm
A video is included in the link.

Pete Townshend Goes Acoustic on 'Won't Get Fooled Again'
The Who rocker plays hit, discusses new autobiography
Comment
By
Rolling Stone      
October 11, 2012 5:15 PM

On October 9th, The Who's Pete Townshend sat down with Rolling Stone head honcho Jann Wenner for a chat about the legendary guitarist's revealing new autobiography, Who I Am. You can watch the full discussion above – and stay tuned until the end, when the rocker kicks into the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again." It's quite a sight: Townshend breaks out an acoustic guitar for an unplugged rendition of the classic cut, his voice ragged but strong and his strumming so furious, he seems ready to bust out a windmill at any moment.

"The kind of book I wanted to write would be more like war journalism, a war biography – I have survived," Townshend explains. "I think what I wanted to write about was about the way that the post-war period in the U.K. set up this atmosphere, this set of conditions, that was exactly right for when we discovered R&B."

Be sure to check out our report from the night's festivities, as well as our review of Who I Am, which Rob Sheffield calls "intensely intimate, candid to the point of self-lacerating. It's a rock god opening up his most human frailties."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/pete-townshend-goes-acoustic-on-wont-ge...
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:58pm by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #628 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:24pm
" Thanks Joey for the video's, very interesting, Fallon is the perfect T.V. host for Rock & Roll, love Townshend's stories. "

My ' Nizzle !!!!!

J. " Pete " Townshend !!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #629 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Great interview with Fallon. Just picked the book up and can't wait to read it.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #630 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:30am
" ................  Just picked the book up and can't wait to read it. "

Pete is on "  Morning Joe  "  October 15th :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv-morning_joe/

" On the show Monday

..... Pete Townshend and more  "

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2012 at 7:25pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #631 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Joey wrote on Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:30am:
" ................  Just picked the book up and can't wait to read it. "

Pete is on "  Morning Joe  "  October 15th :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv-morning_joe/

" On the show Monday

..... Pete Townshend and more  "

Morning Joe blows! Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #632 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 6:29pm
" Morning Joe blows!  "

This makes young Joey sad .

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #633 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Fuck 'em!  HEY JOEY!!!

Yes, I be weedin'!!!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #634 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 6:37pm
" Fuck 'em!  HEY JOEY!!!

Yes, I be weedin'!!!  "

Jizzy  .................. you make Joey Happy !!!!!

... !!!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #635 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:06pm

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #636 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:56am
Joey wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:06pm:

Mika Brzezenski is hot! Brian's smile

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #637 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 1:39pm
" Mika Brzezenski is hot!  "

Her Father was the ONLY bright bulb in the entire Carter Administration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Brzezinski

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #638 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:01pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:56am:
Mika Brzezenski is hot!

So are the ladies at FOX. Probably why they call it FOX news.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #639 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:08am

http://www.southflorida.com/music/sf-sunrise-bbt-center-the-who-pete-townshend-1...

" Review: The Who at the BB&T Center in Sunrise
The iconic band was in great form during the opening night of its "Quadrophenia and More" tour. And then, Pete Townshend vanished.  "

" What happened to Pete Townshend? This question was the only one worth asking as the audience filed out of the BB&T Center in Sunrise Thursday night, minutes after the Who guitarist unexpectedly left the stage during what turned out to be the only encore on the opening night of the Who’s “Quadrophenia and More” tour.

Townshend exited the stage during a shaky rendition of the 1981 hit “You Better You Bet,” and after he failed to reappear to finish the song with the band, singer Roger Daltrey muttered to the crowd, “Pete’s having guitar troubles.” And then, following a nod to someone offstage, Daltrey proceeded to rush the remaining musicians through an awkward and dramatically Townshend-less “Baba O’Riley.” When the song was over, Daltrey told the audience good night, and an otherwise terrific concert came to an abrupt, mystifying end.

So what happened to Pete Townshend? A representative for the band could not be reached for comment early Friday morning, but Townshend’s brother and fellow guitarist Simon Townshend explained on his Twitter account (@simont4000) at about 12:30 a.m., “pete walked off tonight because it was too loud. was a good show but had some technical problems.”

Pete Townshend’s hearing problems are almost as legendary as his guitar-playing. For years, he has claimed to suffer from tinnitus, a chronic and incurable ringing in the ears, and in 2010, complaining that his ears were still ringing weeks after the band’s performance at the Super Bowl halftime show, Townshend told Rolling Stone, “If my hearing is going to be a problem, we’re not delaying shows — we’re finished. I can’t really see any way around the issue.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Party Pics: Were you spotted? Check out photos from local hot spots and events
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Townshend’s sudden exit marred what until that point was a well-executed resurrection of the Who’s 1973 rock opera “Quadrophenia,” a 17-song examination of 1960s British youth culture as seen through the eyes of “Jimmy,” a young man who suffers from a multiple-personality disorder. By no means an overlooked masterpiece, “Quadrophenia” nonetheless has been overshadowed by the Who’s other rock opera, the 1969 mega-hit “Tommy.” But Thursday night, Daltrey and Townshend stripped the years away and reminded fans why, on the cusp of the album’s 40th anniversary, “Quadrophenia” deserved to be dusted off and taken back out on the road.

With video footage of the Who in its guitar-smashing heyday providing a stark, but not unsettling, contrast with the grandfatherly men Townshend (67, and resembling the world’s coolest music professor in his dark shades and natty attire) and Daltrey (68, and looking not unlike a Hobbit elder who’d wandered far from the Shire) have long since become, the show offered a near-perfect balance of spectacle and artistry. Daltrey and Townshend, the only surviving members of the original Who lineup, were joined onstage by an eight-piece band that included longtime Who sideman Pino Palladino on bass, the aforementioned Simon Townshend on guitar and Ringo Starr’s son Zak Starkey on drums.

While Daltrey can’t hold the high notes for as long as he once could, he still can hit them, and until the encore, his voice offered few other traces of diminishment. Beginning with the urgent “The Real Me” and concluding with the pleading “Love Reign O’er Me,” whose chorus and piano-based melody serve as the album’s motif, “Quadrophenia” provides many opportunities for the singer to showcase his distinctive, explosive vocals, and this concert was no different. With Townshend, the Who’s dyspeptic, creative genius and windmilling focal point, to Daltrey’s left, the pair seldom interacted onstage, but neither did they display any of the fraternal animosity and competitiveness that has been a hallmark of their partnership since the beginning.

The show reached its zenith during “5:15,” the howling, brass-punctuated number that also serves as the album’s cathartic centerpiece. Townshend was at his most-dynamic here, his swinging right arm a blur as he pummeled his guitar repeatedly with upstrokes. Daltrey, meanwhile, twirled his microphone as if it were a mace and he were looking for a head to strike.

Later, during the five-song greatest-hits encore, that enthusiasm vanished before Townshend did, as the guitarist and Daltrey appeared impatient and spent, as if they were hurrying to finish up and get out of the arena before the effects of the “Quadrophenia” set wore off. They needn’t have worried. Unlike Townshend, the residual high from that earlier performance wasn't going anywhere.  "

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #640 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:58am
Joey wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:08am:
http://www.southflorida.com/music/sf-sunrise-bbt-center-the-who-pete-townshend-1...

" Review: The Who at the BB&T Center in Sunrise
The iconic band was in great form during the opening night of its "Quadrophenia and More" tour. And then, Pete Townshend vanished.  "

" What happened to Pete Townshend? This question was the only one worth asking as the audience filed out of the BB&T Center in Sunrise Thursday night, minutes after the Who guitarist unexpectedly left the stage during what turned out to be the only encore on the opening night of the Who’s “Quadrophenia and More” tour.

Townshend exited the stage during a shaky rendition of the 1981 hit “You Better You Bet,” and after he failed to reappear to finish the song with the band, singer Roger Daltrey muttered to the crowd, “Pete’s having guitar troubles.” And then, following a nod to someone offstage, Daltrey proceeded to rush the remaining musicians through an awkward and dramatically Townshend-less “Baba O’Riley.” When the song was over, Daltrey told the audience good night, and an otherwise terrific concert came to an abrupt, mystifying end.

So what happened to Pete Townshend? A representative for the band could not be reached for comment early Friday morning, but Townshend’s brother and fellow guitarist Simon Townshend explained on his Twitter account (@simont4000) at about 12:30 a.m., “pete walked off tonight because it was too loud. was a good show but had some technical problems.”

Pete Townshend’s hearing problems are almost as legendary as his guitar-playing. For years, he has claimed to suffer from tinnitus, a chronic and incurable ringing in the ears, and in 2010, complaining that his ears were still ringing weeks after the band’s performance at the Super Bowl halftime show, Townshend told Rolling Stone, “If my hearing is going to be a problem, we’re not delaying shows — we’re finished. I can’t really see any way around the issue.”

Local Party Pics: Were you spotted? Check out photos from local hot spots and events

Townshend’s sudden exit marred what until that point was a well-executed resurrection of the Who’s 1973 rock opera “Quadrophenia,” a 17-song examination of 1960s British youth culture as seen through the eyes of “Jimmy,” a young man who suffers from a multiple-personality disorder. By no means an overlooked masterpiece, “Quadrophenia” nonetheless has been overshadowed by the Who’s other rock opera, the 1969 mega-hit “Tommy.” But Thursday night, Daltrey and Townshend stripped the years away and reminded fans why, on the cusp of the album’s 40th anniversary, “Quadrophenia” deserved to be dusted off and taken back out on the road.

With video footage of the Who in its guitar-smashing heyday providing a stark, but not unsettling, contrast with the grandfatherly men Townshend (67, and resembling the world’s coolest music professor in his dark shades and natty attire) and Daltrey (68, and looking not unlike a Hobbit elder who’d wandered far from the Shire) have long since become, the show offered a near-perfect balance of spectacle and artistry. Daltrey and Townshend, the only surviving members of the original Who lineup, were joined onstage by an eight-piece band that included longtime Who sideman Pino Palladino on bass, the aforementioned Simon Townshend on guitar and Ringo Starr’s son Zak Starkey on drums.

While Daltrey can’t hold the high notes for as long as he once could, he still can hit them, and until the encore, his voice offered few other traces of diminishment. Beginning with the urgent “The Real Me” and concluding with the pleading “Love Reign O’er Me,” whose chorus and piano-based melody serve as the album’s motif, “Quadrophenia” provides many opportunities for the singer to showcase his distinctive, explosive vocals, and this concert was no different. With Townshend, the Who’s dyspeptic, creative genius and windmilling focal point, to Daltrey’s left, the pair seldom interacted onstage, but neither did they display any of the fraternal animosity and competitiveness that has been a hallmark of their partnership since the beginning.

The show reached its zenith during “5:15,” the howling, brass-punctuated number that also serves as the album’s cathartic centerpiece. Townshend was at his most-dynamic here, his swinging right arm a blur as he pummeled his guitar repeatedly with upstrokes. Daltrey, meanwhile, twirled his microphone as if it were a mace and he were looking for a head to strike.

Later, during the five-song greatest-hits encore, that enthusiasm vanished before Townshend did, as the guitarist and Daltrey appeared impatient and spent, as if they were hurrying to finish up and get out of the arena before the effects of the “Quadrophenia” set wore off. They needn’t have worried. Unlike Townshend, the residual high from that earlier performance wasn't going anywhere.  "

JB?

don't let go the coat

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #641 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:28pm
" ......... don't let go the coat "

mojo .................................

I just heard from Brother JB  :

"  ............. can't lie..there were many songs I never heard of last night, but Pete is playing as well as ever,,,he is incredible ..the encore was best part..did not realize Pete left stage,  "

MRD8 is attending the Orlando Gig . Hope Pridden has figured out the correct monitor
volumes by then .

Developing .........................

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #642 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:41pm
Joey wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:28pm:
" ......... don't let go the coat "

mojo .................................

I just heard from Brother JB  :

"  ............. can't lie..there were many songs I never heard of last night, but Pete is playing as well as ever,,,he is incredible ..the encore was best part..did not realize Pete left stage,  "

MRD8 is attending the Orlando Gig . Hope Pridden has figured out the correct monitor
volumes by then .

Developing .........................

BLAMING BOB PRIDDEN ARE WE? WHAT A CHILDISH ACT.
UNPROFESSIONAL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSP_Zs7Nr7o

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #643 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 10:04am
" BLAMING BOB PRIDDEN ARE WE? WHAT A CHILDISH ACT.
UNPROFESSIONAL.    "

Perks .............................................  :

****************** SIGH !!!!! *********************

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGFFl38STBk&feature=related

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #644 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 10:26am
PETE TOWNSHEND WALKS OUT EARLY DURING WHO TOUR OPENER
by: Dave Lifton Yesterday

Rick Diamond, Getty Images

Last night (Nov. 1) in Sunrise, Fla., the Who kicked off their ‘Quadrophenia + More‘ tour, but all did not go so well at the BB&T Center. Towards the end of the show, Pete Townshend walked offstage because the volume onstage was too loud.

Much to everyone’s confusion, Townshend left the stage as the band was performing ‘You Better You Bet.’ When he refused to return, Roger Daltrey said, “Pete’s having guitar troubles.” The band attempted to play ‘Baba O’Riley,’ but without Townshend’s power chords and classic vocal break, it lost much of its power, and the band called it a night after that.

Shortly after the concert ended, Simon Townshend, second guitarist and Pete’s brother, tweeted “Pete walked off tonight because it was too loud. was a good show but had some technical problems.”

Townshend’s hearing problems have long been an issue. He played an acoustic guitar for much of the 1989 reunion tour, leaving the bulk of the lead work to Steve “Boltz” Bolton. In the 1979 documentary ‘The Kids Are Alright,’ Townshend relays a story to Keith Moon about visiting an ear specialist, who proceeded to tell Who manager Bill Curbishley that maybe Pete should “learn to lip-read,” causing Moonie to crack up.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-walks-offstage-during-who-tour-ope...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #645 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 6:58am
About any accolade you want to put on it, brilliant, incredible...Quad is note perfect with all of Roger's band joining Simon, Pino and Zak...have you ever seen a classic album live show where a group plays an album song for song note for note? Add to that the multi-media on the screens and the effect was breathtaking! You get Entwhistles bass solo during 5:15 and Keith Moon sings Bellboy...they didn't leave the stage after Quad, they tore right in to Baba O'Reilly, I imagine because that's the song Pete missed on Thursday night in Sunrise. Roger's voice is stronger than I've heard him in twenty years, no cracking or talking the lyrics...they seemed very happy with Roger and Pete hugging each other after Quad and before Tea & Theater!

I Am the Sea
    The Real Me
    Quadrophenia
    Cut My Hair(Simon on vocals)
    The Punk and the Godfather
    I'm One
    The Dirty Jobs
    Helpless Dancer
    Is It in My Head?
    I've Had Enough
    5:15
    Sea and Sand
    Drowned
    Bell Boy
    Doctor Jimmy
    The Rock
    Love, Reign O'er Me
    Encore:
    Baba O'Riley
    The Kids Are Alright
    Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Who Are You
    Won't Get Fooled Again
    Tea & Theatre

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #646 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:52am
Edith Grove wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:01pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:56am:
Mika Brzezenski is hot!

So are the ladies at FOX. Probably why they call it FOX news.

Yes but they are also psychos. Spooky post

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #647 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 8:56am
" About any accolade you want to put on it, brilliant, incredible...Quad is note perfect with all of Roger's band joining Simon, Pino and Zak...have you ever seen a classic album live show where a group plays an album song for song note for note? Add to that the multi-media on the screens and the effect was breathtaking! You get Entwhistles bass solo during 5:15 and Keith Moon sings Bellboy...they didn't leave the stage after Quad, they tore right in to Baba O'Reilly, I imagine because that's the song Pete missed on Thursday night in Sunrise. Roger's voice is stronger than I've heard him in twenty years, no cracking or talking the lyrics...they seemed very happy with Roger and Pete hugging each other after Quad and before Tea & Theater!  "

I Am the Sea
   The Real Me
   Quadrophenia
   Cut My Hair(Simon on vocals)
   The Punk and the Godfather
   I'm One
   The Dirty Jobs
   Helpless Dancer
   Is It in My Head?
   I've Had Enough
   5:15
   Sea and Sand
   Drowned
   Bell Boy
   Doctor Jimmy
   The Rock
   Love, Reign O'er Me
   Encore:
   Baba O'Riley
   The Kids Are Alright
   Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
   Behind Blue Eyes
   Who Are You
   Won't Get Fooled Again
   Tea & Theatre

Glad you saw a fantastic show Bob    ---- both Pete & Rog. are on FIRE !!!!!!

Um ,.... Er , if you happen to run across a recording / DVD  of this one please let me know .

'kins

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #648 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:53am
I'm looking for an audio recording of Sunrise or Orlando...there ARE several aweesome clips on Youtube...they gave me goosebumps as big as golf balls!Smiley

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #649 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:34pm
For my baby Joey to celebrate the opening show of the tour

Also the header for him LOL  Ouch!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)