Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 314,520 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #550 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:17am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/31/ten-who-fans-redeem-17-tickets-3...

"  The Who fans trade in 1979 tickets 33 years later   "

" PROVIDENCE, R.I. –  It was December 1979 when Emery Lucier learned the concert he was eagerly awaiting in Rhode Island by British rock band The Who had been canceled over safety concerns. The 17-year-old was so angry he knocked over a chair in his high school classroom.

"I just remember being so upset about the whole thing," he said.

Lucier, now 50, of Milford, Mass., held onto the ticket, for which he paid $25 ($12.50 for the ticket and $12.50 more for the scalper). On Tuesday, he and nine other people traded in tickets from that canceled show and got new ones for The Who's final appearance on its Quadrophenia tour in February at the Dunkin Donuts Center, the same venue it was supposed to play 33 years ago.

The venue's general manager, Lawrence Lepore, said earlier this month he would honor tickets for the 1979 show, which then-Mayor Buddy Cianci canceled after a stampede before a Who concert in Ohio killed 11 people. Any 1979 tickets the venue receives will be donated to the Special Olympics of Rhode Island, which plans an August eBay auction of the 14 tickets turned in on Tuesday.

Ed McConnell, now 50, was a high school student in Pawtucket and planned to attend the concert with about 15 friends. He said he remembers the disappointment when he heard the concert was canceled, and even now can list reasons why it was a bad decision, among them that the concert had assigned seats and not festival seating -- which is what was blamed for the stampede in Cincinnati.

"I still don't agree with it," McConnell said after trading in his and his brother's tickets for the show.

McConnell said he met Cianci once and took the opportunity to complain.

Sandy Ball exchanged two tickets that her brother, Stephen, now of Colonial Heights, Va., had waited in line for overnight when he was a college freshman. The tickets have moved 16 times since then with Stephen, who was in the military. Ball said her family remembers the day when he learned the show was canceled.

"We had to talk him off the cliff," she said.

Barry Belotti, now 53, of Fitchburg, Mass., estimates he's seen The Who 100 times but still remembers the canceled show in Providence. He had second-row tickets and had bought several other tickets for friends to come along.

"We were pretty upset about it," he said.

He got a refund on most of the tickets after the show was canceled but kept one as a memento in a binder filled with newspaper clippings about the band and photos of singer Pete Townsend. Belotti said he is planning to see the band play on four or five stops on this tour, one he's especially looking forward to because it's playing the 1973 album "Quadrophenia," which is especially meaningful for him.

"It was very instrumental in my adolescence," Belotti said. "Townsend's writing, he was talking about me."

As for Lucier, he never got a chance to see The Who perform after that canceled 1979 show, until now. He's held onto the ticket for decades.

After he heard he could exchange his old ticket for a new one, he started digging and found it in a box with about 65 other stubs.

The one for The Who was the only one that wasn't ripped.  "

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/31/ten-who-fans-redeem-17-tickets-3...

... !!!!!

... !!!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:20am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #551 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 9:51am

< ------ I just spoke with Keith Moon and he has informed me that he WILL be attending the closing ceremonies of the Olympics on Sunday Evening   .

Developing ................................................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9462257/Kate-Bush-The-Who-and-Geo...

http://thewho.com/story/who-will-it-be/

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2012 at 9:53am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #552 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Joey...does Keith ever sign autographs at the Brazen Head?

...&&&&
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #553 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:28pm
GOT MY WHO TIX!!!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #554 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:55pm
The Who should be called The Two, it's just not the same without the Rhythm section.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #555 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 9:07pm
" The Who should be called The Two, it's just not the same without the Rhythm section. "

Me Arse !!!!!!

Check it out :

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/who-kinks-olympics-performances/

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:45pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #556 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:48pm
http://thewho.com/story/the-who-close-the-london-2012-olympic-games/

" Who gave a Great British finale to the London Olympic Games tonight with a specially prepared medley of Baba O’Riley, See Me/Feel Me, Listening To You and My Generation.

Who fans will have noticed the change of lyrics in the classic ‘Baba O’ Riley’, when Roger sang the words “There’s MORE THAN teenage wasteland” – a perfect way to sum up the spirit of the games and the legacy they will hopefully bring, and proving what The Who have always believed: “The Kids Are Alright”!

The full closing ceremony is viewable on BBC iPlayer in the UK for the next few days. The Who are on at the very end. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m1l2q/Olympic_Ceremonies_London_2012_Clo...

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:56pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #557 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:05am
I heard on Sirius/XM yesterday that a full orchestra will accompany The Who on their Quadrophenia tour...has anybody seen any articles mentioning that?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #558 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:22am
MRD8 wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:05am:
I heard on Sirius/XM yesterday that a full orchestra will accompany The Who on their Quadrophenia tour...has anybody seen any articles mentioning that?

Wow ! Sounds expensive.

I remember when Page & Plant first toured in the mid-90's, they used local orchestras.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #559 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:50am
Edith Grove wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:22am:
MRD8 wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:05am:

Wow ! Sounds expensive.

I remember when Page & Plant first toured in the mid-90's, they used local orchestras.

it was different but it seemed it was used as filler for missing parts.....

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #560 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:31am
" I heard on Sirius/XM yesterday that a full orchestra will accompany The Who on their Quadrophenia tour...has anybody seen any articles mentioning that ? "

That would be very cool (  ...... especially for the closing number Love Reign O'er Me  )  .

Hopefully Pete & Rog. have updated that mid- 90's film accompaniment  .

That things needs friggin WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

O'kins ™
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:41am by Joey »  

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #561 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Joey wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:31am:
" I heard on Sirius/XM yesterday that a full orchestra will accompany The Who on their Quadrophenia tour...has anybody seen any articles mentioning that ? "

That would be very cool (  ...... especially for the closing number Love Reign O'er Me  )  .

Hopefully Pete & Rog. have updated that mid- 90's film accompaniment  .

That things needs friggin WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

O'kins ™

PETE IS ONLY TOURING TO PROMOTE HIS BOOK

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #562 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:16pm
enough already.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #563 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:16pm:
enough already.

some dude get yerself a ticky!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #564 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:56pm
" PETE IS ONLY TOURING TO PROMOTE HIS BOOK  "

Perks ..............................

I swear the friggin GOD !!!!!!!!!!

... !!!!

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:09pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #565 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:50am
I'M pissed, Pittsburgh, Toronto...but no Buffalo!?

WTF or should I say ??.

"The Who"  Who??

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #566 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:23am
mojoman wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 7:48pm:
Some Guy wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:16pm:
enough already.

some dude get yerself a ticky!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #567 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:58pm
" some dude get yerself a ticky!!!  "

<  --- I absolutely LOVE buying " Who Ticky's "  ...... and " Stones' Ticky's  "  .......

......... and you's ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #568 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:13pm

" Roger is now completely in charge of the new video presentation for the forthcoming Who-Quadrophenia tour that begins in November in Florida. He has some really exciting ideas and we have a good team. "

THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Daltrey is / has always been the Number One  " WHO FAN  "  in the World !!!!! He knows best .

http://thewho.com/story/summer-blog/

" I am not going to be much help. I’ve got two weeks of PR on my new book in October, with a lot of lead work to do prior to that time. I’m looking forward to the tour, mixing performing with PR interviews in which I hope to tell some of the more dodgy stories that my publisher’s legal department have removed from the book. One thousand pages cut to five-hundred. There are a lot of dodgy stories left over.  "

Developing ...........................

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:00pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #569 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 12:31pm
Joey wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:13pm:

" Roger is now completely in charge of the new video presentation for the forthcoming Who-Quadrophenia tour that begins in November in Florida. He has some really exciting ideas and we have a good team. "

THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://thewho.com/story/summer-blog/

" I am not going to be much help. I’ve got two weeks of PR on my new book in October, with a lot of lead work to do prior to that time. I’m looking forward to the tour, mixing performing with PR interviews in which I hope to tell some of the more dodgy stories that my publisher’s legal department have removed from the book. One thousand pages cut to five-hundred. There are a lot of dodgy stories left over.  "

Developing ...........................

JOEY, I WAS RIGHT..ONLY TOURING TO PROMOTE BBOK.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #570 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:13pm
" JOEY, I WAS RIGHT..ONLY TOURING TO PROMOTE BBOK. "

...  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://mlkshk.com/r/HL3W

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/music-news-images/M_PeteTownshendMemoir630... !!!!!

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:17pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #571 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:33pm
TEACHER PENALIZES STUDENT FOR CREDITING THE WHO HIT ‘BEHIND BLUE EYES’ TO LIMP BIZKIT
by: Billy Dukes Yesterday

Jo Hale, Getty Images

The price of sarcasm is high in one teacher’s classroom. The prof. (and obvious Ultimate Classic Rocker) was ticked that her student left an answer blank, but even more upset that he went on to quote the Who’s ‘Behind Blue Eyes,’ attributing the song to Fred Dust of Limp Bizkit.

While the early ’00s rock group did have success with the Who song in 2003, it was indeed Pete Townshend who wrote it for release in 1971. Macromeme.com captured the screen shot from below in which the teacher explains her system of properly penalizing the student. He/she even takes a jab at Limp Bizkit, which earns eight points on our grading scale.

Sadly, the Who may be getting used to being overlooked. Their performance at the 2012 Olympics closing ceremony was cut for NBC’s broadcast. Videos later surfaced on the internet.

Macromeme.com

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/who-behind-blue-eyes-teacher-penalizes-student/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #572 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:01pm
" The price of sarcasm is high in one teacher’s classroom. The prof. (and obvious Ultimate Classic Rocker) was ticked that her student left an answer blank, but even more upset that he went on to quote the Who’s ‘Behind Blue Eyes,’ attributing the song to Fred Dust of Limp Bizkit.

While the early ’00s rock group did have success with the Who song in 2003, it was indeed Pete Townshend who wrote it for release in 1971. Macromeme.com captured the screen shot from below in which the teacher explains her system of properly penalizing the student. He/she even takes a jab at Limp Bizkit, which earns eight points on our grading scale.  "

Edith ..................... you make young Joey smile .

" Give Me Some PAW " :

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:11pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #573 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:47pm
Joey it's Keith Moon's birthday. Will you be drinking with him tonight? Let's go get drunk

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #574 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:03pm
" Joey it's Keith Moon's birthday. Will you be drinking with him tonight? "

Friday Evening S.C.L.  at The Upstream

www.upstreambrewing.com

How about you ?!  ... Drinking with Keith is a BLAST and he is EVER Present .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)