Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 314,515 times)
Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #475 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The World According to… Pete Townshend
Russell Hall
...|

As a songwriter, Pete Townshend merged great rock and roll with a novelist’s sense of narrative on such masterworks as Tommy and Quadrophenia. Similarly, his interviews often read like works of art themselves, filled, as they are, with provocative commentary on everything from the power of the three-minute pop song to brilliant dissections of the guitar styles of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and himself. Next fall, Townshend’s much-anticipated memoir, Who He?, will at last see the light of day. In the meantime, we scoured an array of past interviews to uncover some of his most revealing insights.

On writing for The Who, as told to Performing Songwriter in 2002:

“I always wrote toward the strengths of the band. On ‘My Generation,’ I made the demo with a six-string bass and played a solo because I knew that would suit John. I put in a stutter because Roger and I were both huge fans of John Lee Hooker and Johnny Cash, and both of them occasionally stuttered. When I started to employ drums on my demos, I tried not to overplay, but I certainly would have played like Keith sometimes if I could.”

On what led him to SGs, as told to Premier Guitar in 2010:

“I decided to concentrate much more on chordal work, trying to give a beat backbone to Moon’s flailing and undisciplined drumming. Pretty soon, by accident, I discovered the Gibson SG with P-90s. And because I was using a mix of Sound City (later Hiwatt) and Marshall amplifier stacks, I landed the Live at Leeds sound that stayed with me almost all the way on from there – at least onstage.”

On the “Hope I die before I get old” philosophy, as told to Rolling Stone in 1980:

“I’ve always been fascinated by the period of adolescence – and by the fact that rock’s most frenetic attachments, most long-lasting attachments, the deepest connections, seem to happen during adolescence, or just post-adolescence. Rock does evolve, and it does change … but [listeners] tend to listen in the same way. You expect – and you feel happiest when you get – an album that does for you what your first few albums did. [You’re] always chasing that same feeling, that same magic.”

On his initial impression of Hendrix, as told in the documentary, The History of Rock and Roll, in 1995:

“He did things which were magical. I don’t think he knew he was doing them or that he could do them, but he’d do things with his body that were very, very beautiful to look at, yet accompanied by these incredibly wild noises. It was some kind of strange alchemy. He demonstrated that there was actually such a thing as physical poetry in rock, something that was very close to ballet.”

On the success that came with Tommy, as told to Guitar World in 2009:

“In some ways it was wonderful. We went from being a band with a predominantly male following to one where Roger seemed to be a kind of Rock Sun God, and we had a few women in the audience for a change. But in other ways it was disarming, because the natural easy connection between me, as the writer, and the audience, was broken. The feeling I had was that we were starting to become in a way like Tommy: we started to become more deeply deaf, dumb and blind to what was actually happening to us.”

On the guitarists who influenced him most, as told to Premier Guitar in 2010:

“Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell (in his work with Jimmy Smith), Jim Hall (with Jimmy Giuffre), Buddy Guy, Leadbelly, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Snooks Eaglin, Big Bill Broonzy, Hubert Sumlin (with Howlin’ Wolf), Albert King, Steve Cropper, Don Everly, Bruce Welch (with The Shadows), Eddie Cochran, James Burton (with Ricky Nelson). Among my contemporaries, it was Dave Davies, Jimi Hendrix and Neil Young. At art school I met Bert Jansch, and realized folk guys used tricks (tunings)!”

On the hazards of windmill-style power chords, as told to Guitar Player in 1989:

“The right method is to bleed, you know? Your hand and the pick have to connect with the [expletive] strings. You don’t open your fingers up and just sort of slap. And you have to be able to do it in a downward direction as well as an upward direction. Doing it from the top is right easy, but coming up from below ... you know, you’re going around, the string catches under your fingernail, carves it back, pulls it out and then goes poing,backwards.”

On the first time he smashed a guitar, as told to Sound International in 1980:

“I was very frustrated because I couldn’t do all that flashy [guitar] stuff. So I just started getting into feedback and expressed myself physically. And it just led to when, one day, I was banging my guitar around making noises and I banged it on this ceiling in this club and the neck broke off. Everybody started to laugh. I had no other recourse but to make it look like I had meant to do it. So I smashed the guitar and jumped all over the bits. The next day the place was packed.”

On music as his personal salvation, as told to Guitar World in 2009:

“Music for me has always been more than entertainment. Entertainment came out of this thing called a television, and it was gray. Most of the films that we saw at the cinema were black and white. It was a gray world. And music somehow was in color. And that’s where I discovered me; I found me in there. And that accounts for a lot of my passion and optimism. It’s what has kept me going, and [what’s] kept The Who coming back.”

On his favorite off-stage acoustic guitar, as told to Premier Guitar in 2010:

“My latest rave is an old J-200 with a Tune-o-matic bridge. This is the model I used on Tommy, Who’s Next, Rough Mix and Empty Glass. It’s also the model Keith Richards used on the Stones’ acoustic tracks like “Wild Horses.” Glyn Johns knew how to make it sound perfect with a Neumann mic at least two feet away from the sound-hole.”
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/pete-townshend-0627-2011/

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

mikeyc613
Rocks Off Regular

Emotional Rescue = New
Testament

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #476 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:38pm
Hey guys, check out my band's performance of 'Who's Next' at Classic Album Night at Brooklyn Bowl this past May 7th.  We had a blast and did our best!  Let me know what you think, and if there's any Who boards we could share this with.  We're called Midnight Spin, and we're recording our debut album July/August.  Thanks!

Here's 'My Wife' - the rest should be on the right, unfortunately 'Goin' Mobile' didn't get filmed, boo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rffg7EFjf0Q You rock!

"We ain doin nothin that Mozart ain already done."&&&&- Chuck Berry

IP Logged

LanternHigh
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Italy
Reply #477 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 4:49am
mikeyc613 wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:38pm:
Hey guys, check out my band's performance of 'Who's Next' at Classic Album Night at Brooklyn Bowl this past May 7th.  We had a blast and did our best!  Let me know what you think, and if there's any Who boards we could share this with.  We're called Midnight Spin, and we're recording our debut album July/August.  Thanks!

Here's 'My Wife' - the rest should be on the right, unfortunately 'Goin' Mobile' didn't get filmed, boo!

I've listened and see some of your vids Mikeyc613.. and they're such good about me. Bravo!
Hope you arent sorry if I've share some of them on my pro.
Keep on! You&band rock Are you fucking serious?

...&&...
https://www.facebook.com/  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #478 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:23am

I would like to nuzzle you

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

mikeyc613
Rocks Off Regular

Emotional Rescue = New
Testament

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #479 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:12pm
hey, thanks guys!  i'm the lead singer.  long live the fucking who.  i was watching the 'history of rock and roll' dvd's last night, and pete should have basically been consulted about EVERYTHING, there is no fitter narrator/host.

"We ain doin nothin that Mozart ain already done."&&&&- Chuck Berry

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #480 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:47pm
"  long live the fucking who.  i was watching the 'history of rock and roll' dvd's last night, and pete should have basically been consulted about EVERYTHING, there is no fitter narrator/host. "

<   ------  Pete is a Great Man who said it best ... " All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes "

Concur Lil' Buddy ( Lil' Fijikins     ... oh Little Fiji  )

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:49pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #481 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 6:59pm
Hey guys, check out my band's performance of 'Who's Next' at Classic Album Night at Brooklyn Bowl this past May 7th.  We had a blast and did our best!  Let me know what you think, and if there's any Who boards we could share this with.  We're called Midnight Spin, and we're recording our debut album July/August.  Thanks!

REAL NICE!! Good luck to you and the band.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #482 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 12:14pm

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #483 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 12:26pm

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #484 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 6:14pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pete-townshend-the-who-will-perform-quadr...

" Pete Townshend: The Who Will Perform 'Quadrophenia' On Tour  "

" He also disputes Roger Daltrey's assertion that he's not touring this year due to hearing problems "

"  From Pete Townshend's blog, The Who are going to stage another Quadrophenia tour next year. "The reason I am not on the road with Roger is that this is entirely Roger's adventure, one that is bringing him great joy," Townshend wrote.  "I don't belong on this Tommy tour. I wish him well, sincerely, and I look forward to playing with Roger again doing Quadrophenia next year."

Roger Daltrey Addresses Tensions Within The Who

In an interview with Rolling Stone just last month, Daltrey said that Townshend isn't touring with him this year because of his hearing problems. "Pete is having terrible hearing problems at the moment," he said. "I don't want to be on stage with him destroying the last bit of his hearing. That would be completely foolish. He's a composer."

Townshend completely disputes Daltrey's take on the matter. "My hearing is actually better than ever," he wrote on his blog. "Because after a feedback scare at the O2 Indigo in December 2008 I am taking good care of it. I'm 66, I don't have perfect hearing, and if I listen to loud music or go to gigs I do tend to get tinnitus. DON'T WE ALL????"

Roger Daltrey To Play Deep Cuts By The Who On 'Tommy' Tour

He also confirmed reports that he's prepping a remastered edition of Quadrophenia for release sometime in the near future. "I have computer systems in my studio that have helped me do my engineering work on the forthcoming Quadrophenia release," Townshend wrote.  "I have had assistance from younger forensic engineers and mastering engineers to help me clean up the high frequencies that are out of my range. The same computer systems work wonderfully well on stage, proving to be perfect for me when The Who performed at the Super Bowl and doing Quadrophenia for TCT at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010."

The Who originally toured behind Quadrophenia shortly after its release in 1973, but they quickly stopped playing many of the songs from the rock opera when the backing tapes required to perform the complex tracks repeatedly jammed up. In 1996 they launched a reunion tour where they performed the album in its entirety for the first time, and just last year they played the album for charity at the Royal Albert Hall. It's their only major album to not get re-released as a deluxe edition over the past decade.   "

THIS MAKES YOUNG JOEY GIDDY !!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2011 at 9:20pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #485 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 12:16pm
Just heard that on the raido Kin's.................................................I think it was in 96 I seen them do that.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #486 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 12:49pm

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #487 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:55am

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #488 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Here's something joey - I need a better camera,but the voice is ready for Quadrophinia !

http://youtu.be/7l_Nvgyyfn8

sc uk
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011 at 7:48pm by straycatuk »  

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #489 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 6:46pm
" Here's something joey - I need a better camera,but the voice is ready for Quadrophinia !

http://youtu.be/7l_Nvgyyfn8

Me Stonesian Brother .................................................

I would like to bite and kiss you .

O'kins ®

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #490 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:18am

Awesome.  I would sell my soul to be able to do that.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #491 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 11:12am
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/08/28/british-rock-legends-the-who...

" British rock legends The Who to headline Olympic closing gig  "

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2011 at 11:14am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #492 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:34pm
http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=510

" Roger Daltrey's tour of Tommy, Who classics and more rock and rolled into the Agganis Arena, Boston last night, treating a delighted audience to two hours of great music performed by the iconic Who singer in great voice backed by a tight band at the top of their game.

The musicians and the audience alike were delighted by the show.
"Chris stamp was there last night and loved the show," commented Simon Townshend. "He said it was like reliving the live Who shows of '69 but with the vocal harmonies added."

SET LIST
OVERTURE
IT’S A BOY
AMAZING JOURNEY
SPARKS
EYESIGHT TO THE BLIND
CHRISTMAS
COUSIN KEVIN
ACID QUEEN
DO YOU THINK IT’S ALRIGHT
FIDDLE ABOUT
PINBALL WIZARD
DOCTOR
GO TO THE MIRROR
TOMMY CAN YOU HEAR ME
SMASH THE MIRROR
SENSATION
REFRAIN – IT’S A BOY
I’M FREE
MIRACLE CURE
SALLY SIMPSON
WELCOME
TOMMY’S HOLIDAY CAMP
WE’RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT

I CAN SEE FOR MILES
BEHIND BLUE EYES
GIMME A STONE
DAYS OF LIGHT
GOIN’ MOBILE
PICTURES OF LILY
GIVING IT ALL AWAY
JOHNNY CASH MEDLEY
WHO ARE YOU
YOUNG MAN BLUES
BABA O'RILEY
WITHOUT YOUR LOVE
RED, BLUE AND GREY

Check in at www.thewho.com for all info regarding the tour, including dates, venues and ticket availability.  "

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:36pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #493 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 6:39pm

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #494 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:08am
http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=542

Corgi  .. ?!  ... !!! :

" Roger Daltrey has now added dates in Japan to those already announced in Italy, France and Australia.

He and his band will be performing The Who's Tommy plus Who Classics and more. He will be performing The Who’s legendary rock opera Tommy from start to finish (The Who never actually played the complete Tommy). Daltrey premiered the show at The Royal Albert Hall in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust on March 25th and has since toured it throughout the UK, US and Canada.

Employing striking visuals to accompany the music, every show will be an unforgettable concert experience for lifelong fans and newcomers alike who will be treated not only to the full majesty of Tommy, but also to a variety of Who classics and more. Roger will be accompanied by Scott Devours (drums), Jon Button (Bass), Loren Gold (Keyboards), Frank Simes (Guitar and Musical Director) and Simon Townshend, brother of Pete (Guitar).

JAPANESE DATES
April 23 (Mon) Tokyo International Forum
April 24 (Tue) Tokyo International Forum
April 27 (Fri) Kanagawa Kenmin Hall
April 28 (Sat) Osaka Archaic Hall
April 30 (Mon) Nagoya Shi Kokaido

PRE-SALE INFO
Pre-sales are available for subscribed members of thewho.com from Tuesday, Jan. 24 10AM to Friday, Jan 27 10AM (local time, Japan).

Language: the site will be in Japanese, and will only accept orders from within Japan via the below credit cards issued within Japan (international orders will NOT be accepted)
Payment method: The following Credit-card only (Sezon, Visa, Master, JCB, Diners, Mitsui-Sumitomo, DC Card, UC Card, all of which have been issued within Japan)(No credit cards issued outside of Japan will be accepted)
Pick-up: at local 7-11 or Family Mart convenience stores (after public on-sale).
Ticket Limit: 4 tickets per show

If you are not a member of thewho.com but would like to join, click here to join. NB We'll be emailing members more details on these pre-sales before they begin.

AUSTRALIAN DATES
Mon 9th April Bluesfest, Byron Bay
Tickets on sale at www.bluesfest.com.au

Thurs 12th April - Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Sun 15th April - Royal Theatre, Canberra
Mon 16th April - Plenary Hall, Melbourne
Tickets for therse three shows go on sale Friday 16th December, 9am
at www.ticketek.com.au.

EUROPEAN DATES

MAR FRI 9 ITALY PADOVA TEATRO GEOX
SUN 11 ITALY GENOVA TEATRO CARLO FELICE
MON 12 ITALY TORINO TEATRO COLOSSEO
THU 15 FRANCE PARIS L'OLYMPIA GERARD DROUOT
SUN 18 ITALY TRIESTE TEATRO ROSSETTI
TUE 20 ITALY FIRENZE TEATRO COMUNALE
WED 21 ITALY ROME AUDITORIUM DELLA CONCILIAZIONE
FRI 23 ITALY ROME AUDITORIUM DELLA CONCILIAZIONE
SAT 24 ITALY MILAN TEATRO SMERALDO

www.thewho.com

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:09am by Joey »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #495 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:39pm

‘Secret Policeman’ Coming To U.S.A.

02:01 PM, Wednesday 1/25/12
A longtime favorite event in England, the Secret Policeman’s Ball is coming to New York City in March.

The first Secret Policeman’s Ball was actually three nights at Her Majesty’s Theatre in 1976. It had its genesis when Amnesty International asked Monty Python’s John Cleese if he might be able to round up a few friends for a fundraiser. Cleese’s friends turned out to be a members of Monty Python plus other British funny people including the ensemble comedic group The Goodies.

The Secret Policeman’s Ball quickly morphed into a comedy/music event and helped introduce the acoustic or “unplugged” trend. Artists such as Pete Townshend and Sting showed their music needn’t always be electrified. Sting’s acoustic rendition of “Roxanne” is still a fan favorite. The same goes for Townshend’s acoustic performances of classic Who songs such as “Pinball Wizard” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

Amnesty International is celebrating its 50th anniversary by bringing the Secret Policeman’s Ball across the pond for a U.S. performance scheduled for New York City’s Radio City Music Hall March 4. Appearing will be Coldplay, “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Mumford & Sons, Russell Brand, and Reggie Watts with more to be announced in the coming weeks.

“Secret Policeman’s Ball has a long and hilariously off-color history of using comic genius to fight for free speech and human rights around the world,” Secret Policeman’s executive producer Lily Sobhani said. “We are thrilled that the leading lights of comedy and music are coming together to bring the Secret Policeman’s Ball to the United States for the first time.”

American Express cardmembers get first dibs on tickets via a special presale beginning today. The general onsale begins Jan. 30. There are also chances to win tickets. For more information, visit the Secret Policeman’s Ball on Facebook and check out the event’s Twitter page.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #496 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:10am
I stopped reading that after I saw the word coldplay.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:19am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #497 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:17am
"   ..... stopped reading that after I saw the word coldplay.  "

S.C.L.   ................. you make young Joey laugh like hell .

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #498 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 1:43pm
JOEY, WHEN IS "WHO HE-A DIARY OF A CLOSETED PEDOPHILE" COMING OUT?

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #499 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 2:10pm
Careful, you'll make Joey shit liquid!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)