Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 314,427 times)
Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #450 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 9:44am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.nme.com/news/the-who/53815

The Who, Richard Ashcroft, Debbie Harry to play Concert For Killing Cancer
Jeff Beck is also on the bill for the charity gig

The Who are set to play a gig at London's HMV Hammersmith Apollo in aid of the Killing Cancer charity next January.

They will headline A Concert For Killing Cancer on January 13, joined by Richard Ashcroft, Debbie Harry and Jeff Beck.

The gig will raise money for the Killing Cancer charity, which helps to fund research into Photodynamic Therapy (PDT). The therapy destroys cancer cells with a single treatment.

Speaking about supporting the charity, Beck said: "Any new breakthrough in cancer treatment should be taken very seriously and we want as many people to know about that as possible. The concert is not just going to raise funds to pay for new PDT trials, but will also help raise public awareness."

Organisers Harvey Goldsmith and Bill Curbishley say they hope the concert will increase public and corporate donations to Killing Cancer, and in turn speed up the launch of PDT trials for heart and arterial disease, cervical, vulval and penile cancer.

Tickets go on sale at 9am (GMT) on November 19. See Killingcancer.co.uk for more information.

To check the availability of Killing Cancer tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #451 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 9:49am
Joey wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 9:31pm:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-who/53256

" The singer also admitted that he'd like to play as many different shows on the tour as possible, such as full performances of their 1973 rock opera 'Quadrophenia' and 1969 counterpart 'Tommy'.

"I would like to be on the road playing as many different kind of shows as we could," he explained. "Maybe doing 'Quadrophenia' one night, do greatest hits the next night, this is what I would like to do. And 'Tommy', if I could still sing 'Tommy'.  "

I am now moist .

Tommy? He can't even sing Danny boy. Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #452 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 11:48am
JOEY, DON'T LET GO THE COAT !

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #453 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 12:44pm
" JOEY, DON'T LET GO THE COAT  ! "

Forget the War Dances    ...... :

"  The Who are set to play a gig at London's HMV Hammersmith Apollo in aid of the Killing Cancer charity next January.

They will headline A Concert For Killing Cancer on January 13, joined by Richard Ashcroft, Debbie Harry and Jeff Beck.

The gig will raise money for the Killing Cancer charity, which helps to fund research into Photodynamic Therapy (PDT). The therapy destroys cancer cells with a single treatment.

Speaking about supporting the charity, Beck said: "Any new breakthrough in cancer treatment should be taken very seriously and we want as many people to know about that as possible. The concert is not just going to raise funds to pay for new PDT trials, but will also help raise public awareness."

Organisers Harvey Goldsmith and Bill Curbishley say they hope the concert will increase public and corporate donations to Killing Cancer, and in turn speed up the launch of PDT trials for heart and arterial disease, cervical, vulval and penile cancer.

Tickets go on sale at 9am (GMT) on November 19. See Killingcancer.co.uk for more information. "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #454 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 7:09pm
"PENILE CANCER" NEVER LET GO THE COAT !

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #455 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:15am
"PENILE CANCER" NEVER LET GO THE COAT  !  "

<   -- This makes young Joey scared !!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #456 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:35pm
Joey wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:15am:
"PENILE CANCER" NEVER LET GO THE COAT  !  "

<   -- This makes young Joey scared !!!!!!!

BETTER SHIELD YOUR ROCKET, OR KEEP IT IN YOUR POCKET !

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #457 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 7:44pm
ROGER DALTREY OF THE WHO- ROCK N ROLL FANTASY CAMP
Featuring:
ROGER DALTREY (THE WHO), PHIL RAMONE, TOMMY JAMES along with our campers and legendary Rock Counselors:

Simon Kirke (Bad Company), Kip Winger, Sandy Gennara and Leslie West(Mountain)

2011-01-17
7:00PM

Doors @ 6:30PM

Tickets: $40 Adv/ $50 Day Of Show

* Standing Room Only Event
* All Ages Admitted
* Produced By David Fishof

I got as ticket for this event! Looks really cool!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #458 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:23pm
Bitch wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 7:44pm:
ROGER DALTREY OF THE WHO- ROCK N ROLL FANTASY CAMP
Featuring:
ROGER DALTREY (THE WHO), PHIL RAMONE, TOMMY JAMES along with our campers and legendary Rock Counselors:

Simon Kirke (Bad Company), Kip Winger, Sandy Gennara and Leslie West(Mountain)

2011-01-17
7:00PM

Doors @ 6:30PM

Tickets: $40 Adv/ $50 Day Of Show

* Standing Room Only Event
* All Ages Admitted
* Produced By David Fishof

I got as ticket for this event! Looks really cool!

where is this?

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #459 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:33pm
BB Kings in NYC Times Square
Just went on sale

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #460 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Bitch wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:33pm:
BB Kings in NYC Times Square
Just went on sale

very cool, hope leslie will join jack bruce at the blue note two weeks later!!!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #461 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:04pm
CANCER SUCKS!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #462 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:19pm
ROGER DALTREY PERFORMS THE WHO'S TOMMY
Teenage Cancer Trust has just announced the line-up to its 11th annual week of music and comedy gigs at the Royal Albert Hall.

The highlight for Who fans will be a special performance on Thursday 24 March by Roger Daltrey of The Who's 1969 rock opera TOMMY. Roger will also perform early hits including material from LIVE AT LEEDS.

Members of TheWho.com will be able to participate in a ticket presale this week beginning on Tuesday 9AM local time. If you would like to join TheWho.com here are all the details.

MORE TICKET AND PRESALE INFO

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=464&utm_source=Publicas...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #463 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:22pm
" ROGER DALTREY PERFORMS THE WHO'S TOMMY "

" Teenage Cancer Trust has just announced the line-up to its 11th annual week of music and comedy gigs at the Royal Albert Hall.

The highlight for Who fans will be a special performance on Thursday 24 March by Roger Daltrey of The Who's 1969 rock opera TOMMY. Roger will also perform early hits including material from LIVE AT LEEDS.

Members of TheWho.com will be able to participate in a ticket presale this week beginning on Tuesday 9AM local time. If you would like to join TheWho.com here are all the details.

MORE TICKET AND PRESALE INFO

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=464&utm_source=Publicas...

THIS MAKES JOEY GIDDY !!!!!!!!

*** YES !!!! ***

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #464 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:30pm
Review – Roger Daltrey & His Band, O2 Academy Bournemouth
Sunday, March 20, 2011 Posted in Going Out
A meticulous performance of controlled power and measured musicianship saw Roger Daltrey roll back the years, all 42 of them, as he lead a crack band through The Who’s 1969 opus, Tommy, at the Academy.

In his first Bournemouth show since the album’s original release, when The Who warmed up for the Isle of Wight Festival with a date at the Pavilion Ballroom, Daltrey returned to road test his band ahead of the much-feted Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Royal Albert Hall on Thursday.

Of course, Tommy has been played live many times before, albeit in various altered states from orchestral readings to a stage musical and by The Who themselves, but rarely has it been tackled with such reverence. Daltrey’s band of sympathetic American session players, augmented by Pete Townshend’s brother Simon, expertly recreate the original album with precision and skill; as the singer gamely delivers the lion’s share of the vocals (wisely leaving John Entwistle’s soprano parts for the higher-voiced Townshend).

The show revels in the subtle tones and crafted layers of the original Tommy. It was only The Who’s fourth album. In an amazing four years they’d progressed from the speedy R&B urgency of 1965’s My Generation, through the proto-psychedelia of A Quick One and the full-blown pop art cantata of The Who Sell Out to arrive at a point where absolute confidence in their own ability – coupled with a necessary dose of arrogance – had convinced them they could deliver Pete Townshend’s synesthetic vision of a rock album that could paint pictures and be played by a band acting like an orchestra.

It’s there in the intricately woven Overture, through the choral interludes of 1921 and the stirring finale, We’re Not Gonna Take It, which knits a euphoric symphony from two of Townshend’s finest songs – See Me Feel Me and Listening To You.

With a soundcheck that lasted nearly two hours, Daltrey obviously put the work in for this performance and was clearly irritated by some of the harmonies that didn’t quite come off. It’s a measure of his notorious perfectionism though and although we wouldn’t have it any other way, it didn’t actually matter because there was so much love between stage and crowd that he probably could have read the phone book and got away with it!

Rightly sharing the roundly deserved plaudits of the audience with his band, Daltrey noticeably relaxed into the second portion of the show – a chance to revisit some Who gems and indulge a few of his own tastes. White City Lights recalls his rock ’n’ roll teenage; while Freedom Ride plays to the rootsier sounds he makes with Charlie Hart (ex-Slim Chance), Danny Thompson, and long-time Who cohort Billy Nicholls, whose sentimental Without Your Love from the McVicar film soundtrack closes the show.

But for many, the real highlight must have been Daltrey’s loving resurrection of a brace of rarely-performed Who classics, Pictures Of Lily and I Can See For Miles, as well as more staple material like Baba O’Riley and Who Are You? They may lack the raw power and spontaneous energy of The Who in their prime – only a fool would try to ape that in any case – but this more measured, disciplined delivery reminds fans of every vintage just how good the songs were in the first place.

Daltrey makes for a personable host. Fit and lean, he banters with the loudmouths in the crowd and goes so far as to suggest he could still punch well above his weight. I don’t doubt it. There’s always been aggression in this music and no matter how fastidious the presentation of it is, scratch the surface and it bites back.

A full two-hour show and no encore… as the man with the biggest mic swing in the business says: “What more do you want from me? I’m a f***ing pensioner!”

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #465 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:35pm
“What more do you want from me? I’m a f***ing pensioner!”

priceless!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #466 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:49pm
" A meticulous performance of controlled power and measured musicianship saw Roger Daltrey roll back the years, all 42 of them, as he lead a crack band through The Who’s 1969 opus, Tommy, at the Academy.

In his first Bournemouth show since the album’s original release, when The Who warmed up for the Isle of Wight Festival with a date at the Pavilion Ballroom, Daltrey returned to road test his band ahead of the much-feted Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Royal Albert Hall on Thursday.

Of course, Tommy has been played live many times before, albeit in various altered states from orchestral readings to a stage musical and by The Who themselves, but rarely has it been tackled with such reverence. Daltrey’s band of sympathetic American session players, augmented by Pete Townshend’s brother Simon, expertly recreate the original album with precision and skill; as the singer gamely delivers the lion’s share of the vocals (wisely leaving John Entwistle’s soprano parts for the higher-voiced Townshend).

The show revels in the subtle tones and crafted layers of the original Tommy. It was only The Who’s fourth album. In an amazing four years they’d progressed from the speedy R&B urgency of 1965’s My Generation, through the proto-psychedelia of A Quick One and the full-blown pop art cantata of The Who Sell Out to arrive at a point where absolute confidence in their own ability – coupled with a necessary dose of arrogance – had convinced them they could deliver Pete Townshend’s synesthetic vision of a rock album that could paint pictures and be played by a band acting like an orchestra.

It’s there in the intricately woven Overture, through the choral interludes of 1921 and the stirring finale, We’re Not Gonna Take It, which knits a euphoric symphony from two of Townshend’s finest songs – See Me Feel Me and Listening To You.

With a soundcheck that lasted nearly two hours, Daltrey obviously put the work in for this performance and was clearly irritated by some of the harmonies that didn’t quite come off. It’s a measure of his notorious perfectionism though and although we wouldn’t have it any other way, it didn’t actually matter because there was so much love between stage and crowd that he probably could have read the phone book and got away with it!

Rightly sharing the roundly deserved plaudits of the audience with his band, Daltrey noticeably relaxed into the second portion of the show – a chance to revisit some Who gems and indulge a few of his own tastes. White City Lights recalls his rock ’n’ roll teenage; while Freedom Ride plays to the rootsier sounds he makes with Charlie Hart (ex-Slim Chance), Danny Thompson, and long-time Who cohort Billy Nicholls, whose sentimental Without Your Love from the McVicar film soundtrack closes the show.

But for many, the real highlight must have been Daltrey’s loving resurrection of a brace of rarely-performed Who classics, Pictures Of Lily and I Can See For Miles, as well as more staple material like Baba O’Riley and Who Are You? They may lack the raw power and spontaneous energy of The Who in their prime – only a fool would try to ape that in any case – but this more measured, disciplined delivery reminds fans of every vintage just how good the songs were in the first place.

Daltrey makes for a personable host. Fit and lean, he banters with the loudmouths in the crowd and goes so far as to suggest he could still punch well above his weight. I don’t doubt it. There’s always been aggression in this music and no matter how fastidious the presentation of it is, scratch the surface and it bites back.

A full two-hour show and no encore… as the man with the biggest mic swing in the business says: “What more do you want from me? I’m a f***ing pensioner!”

This makes young Joey Happy !!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #467 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:59pm
mojoman wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:35pm:
“What more do you want from me? I’m a f***ing pensioner!”

priceless!!!

Indeed, major rim for Roger.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #468 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 5:14pm
John Entwistle leads the top 10 Bassist of all time. (no Bill Wyman which disappoints me)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-...

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #469 - May 17th, 2011 at 5:03pm
Pete Townshend Will Finally Deliver His Memoir Next Year
The Who guitarist plans release the book in fall 2012, after 15 years of work
Elsa/Getty Images
0 Add Your Comment
By Andy Greene
May 17, 2011 2:50 PM ET

Pete Townshend's long-awaited memoir Who He? is finally going to see the light of day. The Who guitarist has inked a deal with HarperCollins to release the book, which the publisher says will hit shelves in the fall of 2012. “In the 1970s, Pete Townshend famously asked the musical question ‘Who are you?’” Harper Collins executive editor David Hirshey said in a statement. “Now, in his autobiography, generations of fans will finally get the answer they’ve been waiting for.”

Townshend began working on his autobiography in the mid-1990s. When he was cautioned by the British Police in 2003 for accessing child pornography on the Internet, Townshend explained that he was researching material for the book. "I have been writing my childhood autobiography for the past seven years," he said in a written statement. "I believe I was sexually abused between the age of five and six and a half when in the care of my maternal grandmother who was mentally ill at the time. I cannot remember clearly what happened, but my creative work tends to throw up nasty shadows - particularly in Tommy. Some of the things I have seen on the net have informed my book which I hope will be published later this year."

Random Notes: Hottest Rock Pics

There was no further word about the book at the time, but four years later Townshend began a blog with plans of posting segments of it online. "The backbone is complete, all the research is in place," Townshend wrote. "And yet, because my creative and professional life is still so active, I feel I will never catch up with the present unless I retire simply to write. To retire, simply to write, when I am already a writer, presents a contradiction. So rather than endlessly write, I am going to publish."

He published a fascinating account of the day that the Who previewed Tommy for critics in 1969 at a London jazz club, but soon afterwards he shut the site down with little explanation. In September of 2008 he wrote on his website that the book was "on ice." There's been little word on it since.

Rolling Stone Readers Pick the Top 10 Live Acts of All Time: The Who

The Who have been off the road since they toured Australia in 2009. Last year they played halftime at the Super Bowl, as well as staging Quadrophenia for charity at the Royal Albert Hall. Roger Daltrey expressed interest in bringing that show - as well as Tommy -  on a world tour this year. A few weeks ago, the Who frontman announced an extensive solo tour where he'll play Tommy straight though. What exactly that means for the future of the Who remains unclear. One year ago, Townshend expressed a reluctance to return to the road. "I’m tired of touring at the moment, and I’m writing," he said.  "So there are no plans right now." In that same interview, a fan asked Townshend about touring Tommy in 2019 to celebrate the album's 50th anniversary. "If we wait until 2019 one thing I can assure you: I will not be on stage," he wrote. "I will either be composing or decomposing."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pete-townshend-will-finally-deliver-his-m...

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #470 - May 17th, 2011 at 6:20pm
" Rolling Stone Readers Pick the Top 10 Live Acts of All Time: The Who  "

<  ---- This makes Joey smile .

So True Lil' Fella ( Little Fijikins )

So True

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky ! ®

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #471 - May 17th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Roger will be touring the US and Canada doing Tommy in it's entirety.
DATE CITY VENUE

9/13 Hollywood, FL Seminole Hard Rock

9/15 Alpharetta, GA Verizon Wireless Pavilion

9/17 Boston, MA Agganis Arena

9/18 Newark, NJ Prudential Center

9/21 Philadelphia, PA MANN Center

9/23 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum

9/24 Hartford, CT XL Center

**9/27 Montreal, QC Place Des Arts

**9/28 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place

**9/30 Toronto, ON Sony Centre For The Performing Arts

10/1 Windsor, ON The Coliseum at Caesars Windsor

10/5 Minneapolis, MN U.S. Bank Theater at Target Center

10/7 Hammond, IN Venue at Horseshoe Casino

10/8 St. Louis, MO Peabody Opera House

10/11 Cedar Park, TX Cedar Park Center

10/12 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theatre

10/14 Kansas City, MO The Midland by AMC

10/16 Broomfield, CO 1STBANK Center

10/19 Los Angeles, CA NOKIA Theatre

10/21 San Jose, CA San Jose Civic

10/22 Las Vegas, NV The Joint

10/24 Portland, OR Rose Quarter-Theatre of the Clouds

10/25 Seattle, WA KeyArena at Seattle Center

**10/27 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena

**10/29 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

**10/30 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome

**11/1 Saskatoon, SK Credit Union Centre

**11/2 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre

**Shows on sale Thursday, May 19. All other shows go on sale Friday, May 20. Tickets for the U.S. shows are available at www.aeglive.com.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #472 - May 17th, 2011 at 7:32pm
can't wait for the inevitable Roger Daltreys Cape tour.........

[ Music Open: "Behind Blue Eyes" ]

Announcer: The New Jersey Civic Colisseum is proud to present... appearing live for a limited engagement... Roger Daltreys Cape!

[ music segues to "Substitute" ]

Announcer: Hear the hits of the Who, and see the Cape that made him famous.

[ flash shots of the Cape performing "Don't Let Go the Coat" to a packed crowd ]

Group of Girls: [ being interviewed outside ] It's sexy! It's very sexy!

[ Cape shakes while performing "The Real me" ]

Old Woman: It's simply mind-boggling!

Hippie: Uncanny.

Woman: It's visual.

Man: It was remarkable, I'm gonna have to bring the kids!

Announcer: Said one critic, "It was the closest thing to Roger himself."

[ wearing a lei, the Cape performs "Anyway,Anyhow,Anywhere" ]

Old Man: Wow! The lights!

Second Woman: The sound.

Second Man: I think I've seen all of the imitation Cape shows.. but they don't compare to the real thing.

Announcer: The Who may be dead, but the Coat lives on. Engagement begins Tuesday, November 7th.

[ SUPER: "BEGINS TUESDAY, NOV. 7th
New Jersey Civic Coliseum
Tickets Available at Box Office" ]

Black Woman: It's a trip! You really have to see it.

[ fade ]

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2011 at 7:42pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #473 - May 19th, 2011 at 9:06pm

<---- Happy Happy 66th Birthday Pete !!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2011 at 9:07pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #474 - May 19th, 2011 at 9:13pm
happy birthday mr t!!!

Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)