Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 314,503 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #275 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:22am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Stage Collapses At Stadium, 4 Injured
Portable Stage Crashes At Sun Life Stadium

POSTED: Wednesday, February 3, 2010
UPDATED: 9:43 am EST February 3, 2010

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- It was a frightening scene outside Sun Life Stadium Tuesday night when a portable stage came crashing down on the stadium grounds, just days before the Super Bowl is scheduled to be played there.

Four people were injured and two of the victims were airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

"I was pretty shocked, considering all the safety measures they have been taking out here," said worker Guillermo Pascual of Caulking & Waterproofing.

"I have been here for years and nothing has collapsed," said electrician Lamar Currey. "Everything we do is usually safe, so I am surprised anything collapsed."

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the incident on the northeast exterior corner of the stadium shortly after 8 p.m.

The victims were reportedly helping to set up a rehearsal stage for the Super Bowl halftime show when pieces used to construct a larger stage tipped over.

Construction crews working inside the stadium said it's been a busy week and things can get crazy at times.

"Something is going on every day -- every minute of the day. It's extremely busy," said worker Dave Lucken.

"It's kind of a madhouse. Everybody is getting ready for the game," Pascual said.

But crews said safety is their top priority.

"No matter what, you need a hard hat. No matter what, you need pants and boots on, no cut-off shirts, nothing to that affect," Pascual said.

"It's very safe," Lucken said. "We're very safety conscious."

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #276 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 10:13am
" checkout 'Churchill 1940-45' by Max Hastings........fabulous read "

Thanks Ade ....... I will have to look into that one ( always on the market for a great book ) .

It is amazing to watch as Roosevelt used his intuition ,  intellect , cunning and political skills in allowing
Stalin & the Russians to continue to absorb 90 Percent of the casualties in WWII year ... after year ... after year ........ until the Normandy Invasion    ( ... thus minimizing American casualities )  -- Of course the payoff was the Soviet Occupation of Eastern Europe but hey ,  .....  ain't war a bitch ?!

Churchill could DRINK Smiley

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

Joey Churchill ! ™  
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:04am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #277 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:12pm

Bridgestone's commercial for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Nice work making Pete a lefty in some of the images...  Huh
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:14pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #278 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 2:58pm
Bridgestone's commercial for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Friggin COOL !!!! :

" THE WHO SUPER BOWL XLIV HALFTIME SHOW PROMO " :

" THE WHO, one of the world's greatest and most dynamic rock and roll bands, will perform in the BRIDGESTONE SUPER BOWL XLIV HALFTIME SHOW on CBS Sports at Dolphin Stadium in South Florida on Sunday,...   "

This will open up the band to an entirely new audience (  ... ie : Young People )

***** " YES !!!! " ******

Left Shoe Shuffle ........ where is the band staying ?!   ....... Soundcheck tomorrow ?! . !!!!!

Developing ...........................

" The British RULE , Ronnie ! "

O'kins Churchill
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:10pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #279 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:17pm

Dolphin Stadium is so two names ago.

Has any stadium had more?

Joe Robbie Stadium, Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Dolphin Stadium, Land Shark Stadium and now Sun Life Stadium...

Shit!
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:18pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #280 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 6:22pm

" I am imagining great confusion outside of Sun Life Stadium in Miami on Super Bowl Sunday:

Guy No. 1: Did you hear Who's playing at halftime?

Guy No. 2: No, I didn't. Who?

Guy No. 1: Yes.

Guy No. 2: Yes? I hope they play "Roundabout."

Guy No. 1: I wouldn't expect them to play that.

Guy No. 2:Them? They broke up years ago.  "

Bob ...................................

You make Joey giggle !!!!

Can not WAIT until Sunday Night !!!!  : Best Bands 1964 - PRESENT ! ( Nothing Ever Really Changes My Friend ) :

1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. The Who 

www.thewho.com

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #281 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 6:33pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:17pm:
Dolphin Stadium is so two names ago.

Has any stadium had more?

Joe Robbie Stadium, Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Dolphin Stadium, Land Shark Stadium and now Sun Life Stadium...

Shit!

left shoe shuffle = the new gazza.

you are full of knowledge

That was clever

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #282 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:32am
" left shoe shuffle = the new gazza.

you are full of knowledge  "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3nGnS0CTg#

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #283 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:08am

Pete and Roger interview tomorrow at 2:00 pm ET.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #284 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 6:28pm
" ... checkout 'Churchill 1940-45' by Max Hastings........fabulous read. "

Ade ........................

I highly , HIGHLY recommend Conrad Black's weighty tome on FDR .

Roosevelt and Churchill absolutely HAD to keep Stalin in the war , taking as many of the
casualties as they could safely expect him to endure ( .... without a Russian military collapse
or Stalin making a catastrophic separate peace with Hitler  )  , while they mounted an operation in
Europe that would convince Stalin the West would do its part to subdue Germany and enable
some Russian penetration of Europe .

......a wonderful read

Joey Churchill

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #285 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 6:49pm
Joey wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 6:28pm:
" ... checkout 'Churchill 1940-45' by Max Hastings........fabulous read. "

Ade ........................

I highly , HIGHLY recommend Conrad Black's weighty tome on FDR .

Roosevelt and Churchill absolutely HAD to keep Stalin in the war , taking as many of the
casualties as they could safely expect him to endure ( .... without a Russian military collapse
or Stalin making a catastrophic separate peace with Hitler  )  , while they mounted an operation in
Europe that would convince Stalin the West would do its part to subdue Germany and enable
some Russian penetration of Europe .

......a wonderful read

Joey Churchill

Holy shit, Joey! You not be just a loveable moron (I, too, be a moron- but mayhaps not as lovable, dig), you be The Joey!!!

Looky here, man:
Haven't read Sir Max Hasting's Churchill book yet, but have read nearly all his other stuff.
Here is an add I've posted on several WWII sites concerning my dad's WWII memior:

Comments:
Hello all. My father, William L. Devitt, served as a 2nd lieutenant in E Co., 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division, from August 1944 to January 1945, where he was severely wounded in the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge), Jan. 3. The majority of his combat time was in the Hurtgen Forest campaign in Germany, late November to late December 1944. He recieved two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, and has published a book on his experiences entitled "Shavetail: The Odyssey of an Infantry Lieutenant in World War II". It has received excellent reviews, notably from the US Army War College quarterly, "Parameters", as well as highly respected military historians Sir John Keegan and Sir Max Hastings (who used several passages from Shavetail and Mr. Devitt's picture in his 2004 best seller "Armagedon: The Battle for Germany"). My dad's book is for sale (soft-cover, many photos and maps) for $18 (US) and Mr. Devitt ("Bill", to all his friends) can be contacted at: [email protected]. Mr. Devitt will gladly sign the book if you'd like. Also, my dad would love to hear from any of his old comrades, or anyone, really, who has an interest in the 330th/83rd ID/Hurtgen campaign. He's still quite sharp and witty, and likes to talk (we are Irish, after all!). We- myself and two brothers- made the journey back to the Hurtgen with him in October of 2007, and he is currently working on a book about that momentous trip (my eldest brother has already completed his very moving account of the same trip, and is looking for a publisher). One particularily magical, and improbable, incident occured when we set out to find a house that my dad had assaulted in 1944 (and experienced an intense firefight at)in Untermaubach: we met the owner of the house- Countess von Spee, a member of the von Spee family (of the pocket battleship "Graff Spee" fame). As a young girl, she was there when my father's platoon attacked her family's large, beautiful, and castle-like ancestoral home, which had a small chapel attached to it, wherein she and many neighbors hid and prayed during the course of the battle. A lovely woman she is, and an such incredible twist of fate to meet her. Thanks, and all the best to all of you.

Yo- pleased to meet you, Joeyman. Cool as hell to see some historical and literary stuff on this here board!

Peaceonya!

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #286 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:03am
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:09am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #287 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:36am
Hello Mr. Yeats ...............

" We- myself and two brothers- made the journey back to the Hurtgen with him in October of 2007, and he is currently working on a book about that momentous trip (my eldest brother has already completed his very moving account of the same trip, and is looking for a publisher). One particularily magical, and improbable, incident occured when we set out to find a house that my dad had assaulted in 1944 (and experienced an intense firefight at)in Untermaubach: we met the owner of the house- Countess von Spee, a member of the von Spee family (of the pocket battleship "Graff Spee" fame). As a young girl, she was there when my father's platoon attacked her family's large, beautiful, and castle-like ancestoral home, which had a small chapel attached to it, wherein she and many neighbors hid and prayed during the course of the battle. A lovely woman she is, and an such incredible twist of fate to meet her. Thanks, and all the best to all of you.

Yo- pleased to meet you, Joeyman. Cool as hell to see some historical and literary stuff on this here board!  "

Please to meet you too !!!!  .. I bet the trip back to the Hurtgen was very , very moving for your father .... a momentous trip INDEED !!!!!!

The Joey

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #288 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:37am

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #289 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 9:16am
Well that didn't suck too bad. But geez,nothing like doing your whole act at the press conference. What if that's better than the halftime show. Maybe they should stick to acoustic.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #290 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 9:31am
" But geez,nothing like doing your whole act at the press conference. What if that's better than the halftime show. Maybe they should stick to acoustic. "

You make Joey sad .

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sns-ap-fbn-super-bowl-performe...

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:46am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #291 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:34am
I watched it live on the NFL network, nice little gig. Roger had a hard time hitting some of the notes on Behind Blue Eyes. The interview afterwards was kind of funny. Roger said he understands if you add up the actual playing time during a game it comes out to about 11 minutes.

He said The Who were playing either 12 or 16 minutes, I forget, then Pete acting a little surprised at that bit of news said, "Maybe we should renegotiate our contract?"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #292 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:43am
" ..  watched it live on the NFL network, nice little gig. Roger had a hard time hitting some of the notes on Behind Blue Eyes. The interview afterwards was kind of funny. Roger said he understands if you add up the actual playing time during a game it comes out to about 11 minutes.

He said The Who were playing either 12 or 16 minutes, I forget, then Pete acting a little surprised at that bit of news said, "Maybe we should renegotiate our contract?"  "

Bingo ........ your Avatar is STILL Stoned !!!! :

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/sfl-dayinpix,0,2100660.photogallery

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #293 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:50am
He's a Stonerman Pincher  you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #294 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 1:42pm
" He's a Stonerman Pincher  "

... !!!!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #295 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 1:59pm
When Generations Collide: The Who at the Super Bowl

By JOE LAPOINTE
Published: February 4, 2010

Minutes before, the two leaders of the Who held acoustic guitars for an expressive mini-concert that included “Behind Blue Eyes,” “Pinball Wizard” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

“Meet the new boss. ... ” Daltrey sang, ending the final song by purposely leaving off the final line, “same as the old boss.”

Rock music at halftime is a Super Bowl ritual, and it sometimes features founding fathers from the 1960s British Invasion. Daltrey, who at age 65 is old enough to be Brett Favre’s father, smiled when someone reminded him that the Rolling Stones played this gig four years ago.

“I’m glad,” he said. “I just wish they were still out on the road like us.”

The Who will play for 12 minutes. Townshend observed that they will provide more sustained action than the football players.

Daltrey, in an interview with the NFL Network, marveled at how workers will put up and take down a full stage during a 20-minute halftime. “You should have sent your roadies to war,” he said. “The whole mess would be cleared up by now.”

It is curious that the Who would perform for a controlled entity like the N.F.L., which stresses a tightly scripted environment. If rock music had penalty flags, the Who in its earlier years often would have been charged with excessive celebration and dangerous play.

One famous episode came in 1967 (also on CBS in prime time on a Sunday) when a planned explosion on stage was more powerful than expected. A video clip of their appearance on “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour” is an artifact of an era often remembered for risk and experimentation.

It occurred the same year as the first Super Bowl. The YouTube clip first shows a stilted Tom Smothers awkwardly introducing the members of the band. Before a performance of “My Generation,” Smothers tells viewers “you’re going to be surprised what happens.”

That proved to be an understatement. The performance ends with destruction of their equipment — Townshend smashes his guitar into an amplifier — and several explosions. According to rock legend, the last one accidentally injured the band’s drummer, Keith Moon, and left Townshend with damaged hearing. The video shows Moon lying on stage and Daltrey tending to him.

An apparently befuddled Townshend then takes an acoustic guitar from Smothers and smashes it, too.

Worse than that was the stampede outside Cincinnati’s Riverfront Coliseum on Dec. 3, 1979, when rushing fans tried to push through too few open doors for general admission seating. Eleven people died from suffocation in the crush. Two months ago, survivors and their descendants held a 30th anniversary memorial.

Ellen Dearing Betsch, 47, told The Cincinnati Enquirer that she became claustrophobic from the trauma.

“I just hope, so much, that people don’t forget what happened,” Betsch told The Enquirer, “so that other people won’t lose loved ones like this.”

Neither episode was mentioned during Thursday’s session, although one questioner alluded to past legal accusations against Townshend for viewing child pornography. Townshend said his full explanation could not be contained in a brief answer and that more details could be found on the Internet.

The band is scheduled to perform at the Super Bowl because it has played some of the Woodstock g-g-generation’s most iconic music. Much of the conversation Thursday meandered down memory lane.

Daltrey, asked about the filming of a Rolling Stones concert movie in 1968, recalled the Stones’ guitarist Brian Jones reeling through the final months of his troubled life. Townshend recalled from those film sessions the presence of the young Yoko Ono shortly after she and John Lennon got together.

“I’m one of the select Yoko Ono fans,” Townshend said. “I think she’s amazing.”

Jim Henke, chief curator at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, said in a telephone interview that the Who will be best remembered for its powerful sound and stage presence. The band was defined, he said, by Townshend’s windmill arm motions while playing his guitar as Daltrey swung the microphone like a lariat.

“They laid the groundwork for heavy metal, punk and power pop,” Henke said.

Moon, Henke added, might have been rock’s best drummer. Henke also mentioned the famous lyric line from “My Generation” in which Daltrey — in the character of a defiant adolescent — sang Townshend’s words “Hope I die before I get old.”

Moon died in 1978, at age 32

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #296 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 3:26pm
" Rock music at halftime is a Super Bowl ritual, and it sometimes features founding fathers from the 1960s British Invasion. Daltrey, who at age 65 is old enough to be Brett Favre’s father, smiled when someone reminded him that the Rolling Stones played this gig four years ago.

“I’m glad,” he said. “I just wish they were still out on the road like us.”

Ouch !!!!!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #297 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Mike Fender/The Star

Complete performances of 'Behind Blue Eyes' and 'Pinball Wizard' from yesterday - nfl.com

Pete and Roger's interview with Rich Eisen - nfl.com

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #298 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 5:21pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 4:33pm:
Mike Fender/The Star

Complete performances of 'Behind Blue Eyes' and 'Pinball Wizard' from yesterday - nfl.com

Thanks for that LSS, that was great!

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #299 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 6:58am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 4:33pm:
Mike Fender/The Star

Whomiliation.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)