Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and Niel Ringstad, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Worried bout You (Read 1,131 times)
lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buffalo,NY
Worried bout You
Aug 20th, 2009 at 7:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
OH YAH!!!!

Thanks   Urban Steel.  really?

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Worried bout You
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:54am
I swear, I don't know how Ronnie still has a job. That was just an utter abortion of a solo.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:34am
Urban Steel you rock!

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 5:43pm
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:54am:
I swear, I don't know how Ronnie still has a job. That was just an utter abortion of a solo.

i agree, it was pretty lame.  Oh no! not you again  the album version solo is one of my all time favorite solos from the stones.  i guess the atmosphere of it all makes up for it.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Quote:

i agree, it was pretty lame.  Oh no! not you again  the album version solo is one of my all time favorite solos from the stones.  

Yep. If only it was one of them playing it!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 5:48pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm:
Quote:

i agree, it was pretty lame.  Oh no! not you again  the album version solo is one of my all time favorite solos from the stones.  

that is not ron wood playing it on tattoo you?  who is it then?

Shit!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Wayne Perkins

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:13pm
BTW, I was there at that show! Fantastic show, great audience! That was the first and only performance of that song in an open stadium

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:23pm
Right at the 2:58 thru 3:07 mark...it seems that Woody is surprised and hesitant to take the solo...like he didn't know that it was his turn...Mick kinda give him a NOD as if saying "Go the fuck out there you  Idiot"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:35pm
Quote:
Gazza wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm:
Quote:

that is not ron wood playing it on tattoo you?  who is it then?

Shit!

Woody's only on 1 of the songs on the 'slow' side of Tattoo You - No Use In Crying.

Wayne Perkins' lead guitar on Worried About You comes from a 'Black and Blue' session in Rotterdam in early 1975 when they were trying out new guitarists.

Mick Taylor is on 'Tops' and 'Waiting On A Friend', and Mick Jagger plays the only guitar on 'Heaven' which was one of only two new songs recorded for the album.

'Slave' predates Woody joining the band as well (also from Rotterdam), although some parts (including his) were added later on.

Line-up ‘Start Me Up’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
                              CW (dr)
                 Line-up ‘Hang Fire’: MJ (voc, gtr)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (bass, bvoc)/CW (dr)/
                              STU (p)
                 Line-up ‘Slave’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
                               Billy Preston (el p, org)/Ollie Brown (perc)/Sonny Rollins (sax)/
                               Pete Townshend (bvoc)
                 Line-up ‘Little T&A’: MJ (bvoc)/KR (gtr, bass, voc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/CW
                               (dr)/STU (p)
                 Line-up ‘Black Limousine’: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/
                               CW (dr)/STU (p)
                 Line-up ‘Neighbours’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/
                               CW (dr)/STU (p)/Sonny Rollins (sax)
                 Line-up ‘Worried About You’: MJ (voc, el p)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
                               CW (dr)/Wayne Perkins (gtr)
                 Line-up ‘Tops’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
                                Nicky Hopkins (p)
                 Line-up ‘Heaven’: MJ (voc, gtr)/BW (bass, synth, gtr)/CW (dr)/Chris Kimsey (p)
                 Line-up ‘No Use In Crying’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
                              CW (dr)/STU and/or Nicky Hopkins (p, org)
                 Line-up ‘Waiting On A Friend’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr)/BW (bass)/
                               CW (dr)/Sonny Rollins (sax)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/Pascal and/or Rebop
                               and/or Jimmy Miller (perc)

(sessionography info from nzentgraf.de)

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:42pm
thanks...now i know.  the cd i have does not have any credit listings. 

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:35pm:
Mick Taylor is on 'Tops' and 'Waiting On A Friend', and Mick Jagger plays the only guitar on 'Heaven' which was one of only two new songs recorded for the album.

Was the other new track "Neighbours"?

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

CrissCrossMind
Rocks Off Regular

Southside of Chicago Baby ...
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Last truely great Riff from Master Keef ... Start Me Up ... first recorded in 1977 ... over thirty years since Keith came up with a "classic" Riff ... or about the time he cleaned up ... Mick has played a ton more to fill the gaps ... 
after Keef had Little T&A ... CCM Oh no! not you again Blank Frigging Stare

yonder comes a woman ...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:54pm
CrissCrossMind wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:52pm:
Last truely great Riff from Master Keef ... Start Me Up ... first recorded in 1977 ... over thirty years since Keith came up with a "classic" Riff ... or about the time he cleaned up ... Mick has played a ton more to fill the gaps ...  

That may overstate things a bit, but the fact of Mick's dominance of the writing process from Steel Wheels on is pretty much indisputable. Look at SW — Sad Sad Sad, Terrifying, Hold Onto Your Hat, Hearts for Sale, Blinded By Love, Rock and a Hard Place, Continental Drift. Seven of 12 songs, 100% Jagger (compared to two — Can't Be Seen, Slipping Away — 100% Keith).

Granted, SW came quickly on the heels of the Winos project, and Keith's invovement in VL was far more robust; the first three tracks there are largely his creation, including riffs, melody and general lyrical ideas; same with Baby Break It Down. The Worst and Thru and Thru are of course all his.

The '93 sesssion seem to be the last moment of true, intimate collaboration between MJ and KR. Bridges to Babylon, by most accounts, was a knock-down, dragout affair that, in my opinion, more or less yielded parallel solo albums. That it didn't end up a disaster is kind of amazing in retrospect.

Then you've got the hasty sessions for the Forty Licks addendum — three of the four new tracks were all Jagger, with preproduction by Jagger and Matt Clifford. Keith, almost as an afterthought, cobbles together Losing My Touch — a decent, though hardly earth-shattering, tune.

A Bigger Bang: I argued here till I was blue in my virtual face that Keith's input was virtually nil.

I don't profess to know how much Keith has actually written and held back. But I do know for certain it's been held back. Whether it's because he's a congenital procastinator who, under the insanely stringent deadlines set by the Jagger-Cohl machine, ends up yielding the creative process to Mick, or — my hunch — that he just doesn't write much "Stonesy" music anymore, I can't say...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:12pm
I swear, I don't know how Ronnie still has a job.

He has tenure.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 6:25am
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:44pm:
Gazza wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:35pm:

Was the other new track "Neighbours"?

Yep. Both of them were first cut in Paris in late 1980 (there's a cracking alternate version of 'Neighbours' from that session with no sax break)  and then finished in spring 1981

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 6:35am
Quote:
thanks...now i know.  the cd i have does not have any credit listings.  

Are you fucking serious?

Yep. Neither did the original LP. The reason being that they were probably trying to disguise the fact that the album was cobbled together to give them something to promote on the '81 tour (mainly thanks to Chris Kimsey) from several years of outtakes, with a few overdubs being added to make it releasable (much of Mick's vocals were done in Paris in spring 1981 and other parts such as Sonny Rollins' sax parts were added in New York around the same time). Mick Taylor didnt even know he was on the album until he recognised his own guitar playing on it.

When you think about it, everything about this project sounds like it should have ended up as a mess, but its to Kimsey and the Stones' credit that somehow or another they came up with an album thats a little masterpiece.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 12:37pm
I remember getting this one at the first MSG show and it hit me HARD.  Great tune and a great night.  Thanks for putting up this version even if Ronnie acts a bit stunned and cornfused....lol!

I MISS seeing them.  Dammit!

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 12:49pm
I seem to remember seeing Rambler from this gig, or from the South American leg, which smoked!

Worried About You is IMO in the top 5 Stones "slower numbers" - the version on Four Flicks from Paris is excellent

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 2:16pm
Martha wrote on Aug 21st, 2009 at 12:37pm:
I remember getting this one at the first MSG show and it hit me HARD.  Great tune and a great night.  Thanks for putting up this version even if Ronnie acts a bit stunned and cornfused....lol!

I MISS seeing them.  Dammit!

xxoo,
Martha

Yep...those were magical nights.

I miss them so much it hurts. Hurts bad.

LJ.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 8:11pm

you guys are so completely off the mark on Keef's contribution to songwriting that it is pretty amusing.

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 9:28pm
Enjoy the fucking music. The question's Keith input is insanity. Check out the beautiful solo he lays down on Almost Hear You Sigh, the totally fantastic and amazing You Got Me Rockin', the wall-to-wall guitars on the Undercover album, and A Bigger Bang's closer Infamy.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 7:47am
Tumbled wrote on Aug 21st, 2009 at 8:11pm:

you guys are so completely off the mark on Keef's contribution to songwriting that it is pretty amusing.

Elaboration, please! Smiley

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 8:48am
I often wonder what you people want from this fucking band. Enjoy the music. It's the best of the best. You won't find better tunes anywhere.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 9:38am
Steel Wheels wrote on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 8:48am:
I often wonder what you people want from this fucking band. Enjoy the music. It's the best of the best. You won't find better tunes anywhere.

Nobody'd quarrel with that ... I defended ABB from many a sling and arrow in '05 — all the while acknowledging that Keith barely wrote any of it.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #25 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 3:01pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:23pm:
Right at the 2:58 thru 3:07 mark...it seems that Woody is surprised and hesitant to take the solo...like he didn't know that it was his turn...Mick kinda give him a NOD as if saying "Go the fuck out there you  Idiot"

That's EXACTLY what I love about it so much. Through all the stage gimmicks and Vegas outfits, there is still some rough blues boys just winging it. It keeps the shows exciting and a bit spontaneous. It creates tension which I love. I even love it when they make mistakes because the way they recover from them is an art in and of itself.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)