Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and Niel Ringstad, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ten Great Texans (Read 3,887 times)
Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Ten Great Texans
Reply #75 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:24pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 12:21pm:
Factory Girl wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:24am:
What is the story behind Wilson's fascination with Manson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wilson#Charles_Manson

I think Dennis just liked getting laid, and there was plenty of that freely available.

The Manson family knew the layout of the Tate/Polanski house because they were familiar with it, as it formerly belonged to Terry Melcher (record producer, son of Doris Day and a close friend of Dennis Wilson).

Both Melcher and Dennis Wilson could consider themselves pretty lucky they didnt meet the same fate as a few of the other victims.

The same could be said for Mark Lindsay, singer, songwriter, producer of Paul Revere & The Raiders. I've spoken to him on numerous occasions about the Cielo Drive house and what happened there. {I've known Mark for over 20 years}. He and Melcher were rooming at that house in '67, and he recalled to me how Brian Wilson came by the house one day with the acetate for "Good Vibrations" and played it for him and Terry. And Mark met Manson as well....Dennis trotted him by the house one day. Creepy guy, is how Mark described him at the time. After Mark moved out, Terry brought girlfriend Candace Bergen to live there. They had vacated the house in the spring of '69, but Manson, going there to inquire of Terry's whereabouts from the caretaker, was told that "Terry isn't here". Not that "Terry doesn't live here anymore." So, when he sent his "family" back to the house in Aug., there is speculation that he WAS gunning for Terry and whoever lived there--or that maybe he just didn't care who was killed....he just knew the "lay of the land". Awful, terrible tragedy, those killings. Sad

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #76 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:51pm
Sioux wrote on Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:24pm:
Gazza wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 12:21pm:
Factory Girl wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:24am:
What is the story behind Wilson's fascination with Manson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wilson#Charles_Manson

I think Dennis just liked getting laid, and there was plenty of that freely available.

The Manson family knew the layout of the Tate/Polanski house because they were familiar with it, as it formerly belonged to Terry Melcher (record producer, son of Doris Day and a close friend of Dennis Wilson).

Both Melcher and Dennis Wilson could consider themselves pretty lucky they didnt meet the same fate as a few of the other victims.

The same could be said for Mark Lindsay, singer, songwriter, producer of Paul Revere & The Raiders. I've spoken to him on numerous occasions about the Cielo Drive house and what happened there. {I've known Mark for over 20 years}. He and Melcher were rooming at that house in '67, and he recalled to me how Brian Wilson came by the house one day with the acetate for "Good Vibrations" and played it for him and Terry. And Mark met Manson as well....Dennis trotted him by the house one day. Creepy guy, is how Mark described him at the time. After Mark moved out, Terry brought girlfriend Candace Bergen to live there. They had vacated the house in the spring of '69, but Manson, going there to inquire of Terry's whereabouts from the caretaker, was told that "Terry isn't here". Not that "Terry doesn't live here anymore." So, when he sent his "family" back to the house in Aug., there is speculation that he WAS gunning for Terry and whoever lived there--or that maybe he just didn't care who was killed....he just knew the "lay of the land". Awful, terrible tragedy, those killings. Sad

Thanks Sioux, very interesting, & to think that they met this mastermind behind all those cold blooded killings, Manson was also in Haigh Ashbury during the summer of love '67 & was easy to find his followers, girls that were brain damaged from to much acid to do his killings for him later on.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #77 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 6:43am
Steve Earle pays tribute to old pal Townes Van Zandt

PUBLISHED BY PETER COOPER ON AUGUST 21, 2009
Tennesean.com

Steve Earle has been telling Townes Van Zandt stories for decades.

There’s the one about “Wabash Cannonball,” and the one about War and Peace. There’s a sad and insane story about Russian roulette, and there’s myriad other tales.

Unlike many of the yarns that spin about the late, great Van Zandt, Earle’s stories are true. He was there, first as a young buck who studied Van Zandt’s exacting, ethereal lyrics, later as a music star who shared Van Zandt’s weakness for drugs and alcohol, and finally as a staunchly sober recovering addict who watched his mentor wither and die at the age of 52.

The newest story is the one in which a Townes Van Zandt album makes Billboard’s all-genre Top 20 chart for the first time, 12 years after Van Zandt’s death. The catch to this one is that the album is Townes, a 15-song collection that features Earle singing Van Zandt gems such as “Pancho and Lefty,” “To Live is to Fly,” “No Place to Fall” and “White Freightliner Blues.”

“The last time I had something come out to be completely, 100 percent what I imagined it could be was the bluegrass record,” Earle said, referencing 1999’s The Mountain, an album he made with the Del McCoury Band. “People’s reaction to this one, it hurts the singer-songwriter’s feelings a little bit. I mean, as I writer I do okay. But this record with Townes’ songs came out really strong.”

Reality can be harsh
In death, Van Zandt’s life and art have been much chronicled. The singer-songwriter has been the subject of biographies and of a documentary film, and his songs are oft covered on stages and on recordings. In life, he was more of a cult favorite, though he scored country hits with Emmylou Harris and Don Williams’ duet version of “If I Needed You” and with a Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard cover of “Pancho and Lefty.”

“Mickey Newbury was probably the first person to really champion Townes, very early on, and Mickey is the godfather of all of us Texas writers,” said Earle, who moved from Texas to Nashville in the 1970s, and who now spends much of his time in Greenwich Village. “The last time I talked to Mickey was the day Townes died, and Mickey was crying, and very angry. He was already sick himself (Newbury died of emphysema in 2002), but he was hurt and angry that people were going to come to Townes and Townes’ music after Townes was gone. But Newbury saw Townes as the victim, and I don’t. Townes shot himself in the foot at every opportunity.”

Though no stranger to firearms, Van Zandt’s foot-shooting was done with dope and booze. In his early years, Van Zandt’s finger-picking and singing were tack-sharp, his performances riveting. In the 1990s, while he remained capable of writing songs of uncommon poetry and compassion (“Marie” and “The Hole” among them), his concerts were often shambolic affairs, with sloppy guitar work and slurring rambles.

“On stage, Townes was exceptional,” Earle said. “He was incredible. What you saw at the end was nerve damage, caused by chronic, late-stage alcoholism. I had the same disease. There was a point in my life when I told myself I was doing OK, ‘cause I was doing better than Townes. But it eventually got me, too. There’s no small amount of survivor guilt involved in making a record like this.”

Entering familiar territory
To make the bulk of the Townes record, Earle sat in his Manhattan apartment and played Van Zandt’s songs as best he could remember them, though he recorded a few tracks in Nashville with backing from Dennis Crouch, Tim O’Brien, Darrell Scott and others. For “Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold,” he sang a duet with son Justin Townes Earle, himself a leading Americana artist these days.

“The major revelation is that I’m more Townes than I thought I was,” Earle said. “I watched him play these songs, and I know how he played them, and I’ve taken them all in. It was pretty frightening how easy and familiar this was. There were several goosebump moments, especially on ‘Pancho and Lefty’ and ‘Marie.’ ”

Earle recalled hearing the harrowing drifter’s tale “Marie” for the first time, at a time when Van Zandt was bumping up against behavioral guardrails with regularity, and Earle was perhaps even further out of bounds.

“I heard that song and was pretty floored,” Earle said. “In that song, you can see Townes’ capacity for empathy, particularly empathy for people who didn’t have anything. He played ‘Marie’ for me when he came out to my place to give me . . . well, to give me a temperance lecture.”

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #78 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 7:04am
I think Ted Nugent is a part time Texas resident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHtw6WbbnM

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #79 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 7:07am
I suppose Steve Earle qualifies as a honorary Texan as he grew up there, even though he was born in Virginia.

Going to see him again in a month's time.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #80 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 7:20am
I think Van Zandt is Texas enough for the thread.  Cheesy

From Wikepedia
Townes Van Zandt was born in Fort Worth, Texas to a wealthy oil family. He was the third-great-grandson of Isaac Van Zandt, a prominent leader of the Republic of Texas and second great-grandson of Khleber M. Van Zandt, Confederate Major and one of the founders of Fort Worth.[7] Van Zandt County in east Texas was named after his family in 1848. Townes' parents were Harris Williams Van Zandt (1913 - 1966) and Dorothy Townes (? - 1983).

Isaac Van Zandt - July 10, 1813 – October 11, 1847 -bio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Van_Zandt
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2009 at 7:25am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #81 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 4:44pm
anybody mention janis?
and she always kept that drawl.....which counts alot.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)