Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SACD question (Read 485 times)
cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
SACD question
Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:58pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
If you copy a sacd are you copying both layers or is it just a standard cd?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: SACD question
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:16pm
cabledogg2 wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:58pm:
If you copy a sacd are you copying both layers or is it just a standard cd?

you're only copying the redbook layer, not the sacd layer, no one i know can copy sacd's... and hdcd's can only be copied prpoerly using a right kind of software...

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:43am
Thanks P........

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 8:17am
actually, if you eac a hdcd, you get everything - those cd's just need a player that can decode the hdcd info...

pdog is correct re: sacd. you only copy the redbook layer. however, the redbook layer of the beggars' cd is better than anything, save the beggars' sacd layer...

so you can buy the sacd, reap the benefits of the new mix, but you will still be missing out on the sacd layer without a sacd player...

hth

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 7:53am
macdaddy wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 8:17am:
actually, if you eac a hdcd, you get everything - those cd's just need a player that can decode the hdcd info...

pdog is correct re: sacd. you only copy the redbook layer. however, the redbook layer of the beggars' cd is better than anything, save the beggars' sacd layer...

so you can buy the sacd, reap the benefits of the new mix, but you will still be missing out on the sacd layer without a sacd player...

hth

I'm not sure, so take this with a grain of salt... but if you're using eac on a hdcd, and your computer and drive can't decode hdcd, then the rip will be messed up, and probably have errors. I used to have this problme on an old PC with Kinks hdcd's... now with my MAC, they rip fine, I think I just had an old drive. The stuff I've read about hdcd's and copying on some forums got real technical and real confusing and opinions went all directions. I love SACD, but hdcd and this new trend of SHM material are a bit too much for me. I never really found a difference. I don't have DVD audio, but by all accounts it is great. Blu Ray now is a next thing, but also may not take off, since only a small amount of people are buying physical media anyway. I would love to own the Neil young stuff on Blu Ray, but i'm not investing into it.

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:45am
pdog - that was a problem with your machine not ripping correctly. hdcd has one layer - redbook. there is just some info in the header that tells compliant units to decode differently.

dvd-audio is another matter. you need a player that plays the format.

re: ny
there is a coupon for half off that brings it to under two bills all told - i think i am gonna bite, as this will be the cheapest it gets for a while (just used the same coupon for the godfather trilogy blu set  - $37 delivered)

oh, ps3 plays dsd discs, so...

if i buy a dsd recorder(i havent yet, but korg makes 'em), i can record my live gigs using that format, and have the hi-res stuff playback in my living room. thing is, the ps3 streams 24/96 flac, so i am already there (listening to my hi-res recordings in the living room)

hope all is well with you two (pdog and cb2)

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:47am by macdaddy »  

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:00pm
Please clarify this stmnt...TIA!

"re: ny
there is a coupon for half off that brings it to under two bills all told - i think i am gonna bite, as this will be the cheapest it gets for a while (just used the same coupon for the godfather trilogy blu set  - $37 delivered) "

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:37pm
Factory Girl wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:00pm:
Please clarify this stmnt...TIA!

"re: ny
there is a coupon for half off that brings it to under two bills all told - i think i am gonna bite, as this will be the cheapest it gets for a while (just used the same coupon for the godfather trilogy blu set  - $37 delivered) "

ok.

deep discount is doing their 25% off sale now through tomorrow (august 2). the code is CJ25, which you enter upon checkout...

so...

godfather trilogy $49.89  > click "buy now" > enter code cj25/apply > $37.42 (free shipping)

unfortunately, the ny archives bluray is no longer available. it was a few days ago when i was thinking of pulling the trigger - my guess is dd sold out of their stock (which is the point of the sale). you can still get the dvd version for $144, though...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:54pm
macdaddy wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:45am:
pdog - that was a problem with your machine not ripping correctly. hdcd has one layer - redbook. there is just some info in the header that tells compliant units to decode differently.

dvd-audio is another matter. you need a player that plays the format.

re: ny
there is a coupon for half off that brings it to under two bills all told - i think i am gonna bite, as this will be the cheapest it gets for a while (just used the same coupon for the godfather trilogy blu set  - $37 delivered)

oh, ps3 plays dsd discs, so...

if i buy a dsd recorder(i havent yet, but korg makes 'em), i can record my live gigs using that format, and have the hi-res stuff playback in my living room. thing is, the ps3 streams 24/96 flac, so i am already there (listening to my hi-res recordings in the living room)

hope all is well with you two (pdog and cb2)

things are well... thx. I just realized, all I have to do is put some of my Kinks CD's into iTunes and actually listen to them and do an a/b comparison with iPod lossless and the actual CD... duh!!! haha!

The problem with my Ps3 and DVD and blu-ray is, I'm not sure how to have it run from TV and also run seperately into my amp... I don't think my Ps3 has enough outs... I do have one HDMI for it, goes to TV, my other option is an optical out... now that I think about it, I'm going to hook that up, that's what I use for my SACD player to my amp, and it works well...
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:58pm by Pdog »  

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 4:16pm
got it, godfather trilogy bluray sale.  thanks.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)