Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Boxed set of unreleased material in December? (Read 4,750 times)
BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New Jersey
Re: Boxed set of unreleased material in December?
Reply #50 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 1:08pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Assuming this wasn't just a rumor from the start, I wouldn't expect much from a rarities set sandwiched between the Deluxe Ya Ya's and Exile, a delay would seem perfectly logical to me and maybe that's all this is.  Not to mention all those "remasters" aren't exactly flying off the shelves so I don't think getting another product in time for the Christmas season is something they need to be too concerned with at this point.  Maybe they are taking their time with this archive set it and will release something good - that would be something they haven't tried in a while.

But who am I kidding? ...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #51 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 3:03pm
BrendanD wrote on Oct 3rd, 2009 at 1:08pm:
Assuming this wasn't just a rumor from the start, I wouldn't expect much from a rarities set sandwiched between the Deluxe Ya Ya's and Exile, a delay would seem perfectly logical to me and maybe that's all this is.  Not to mention all those "remasters" aren't exactly flying off the shelves so I don't think getting another product in time for the Christmas season is something they need to be too concerned with at this point.  Maybe they are taking their time with this archive set it and will release something good - that would be something they haven't tried in a while.

with Ya Ya's and Exile both coming out, i'm grateful we get anything...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #52 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 4:31pm
A guy on IORR called HighWireC who seems to have a bit of insight into what Universal are doing is suggesting that an archives project is now more likely to be released AFTER the Stones go on the road next year (presumably after a new studio album)

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #53 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:33pm
Assuming this wasn't just a rumor from the start, I wouldn't expect much from a rarities set sandwiched between the Deluxe Ya Ya's and Exile, a delay would seem perfectly logical to me and maybe that's all this is.  Not to mention all those "remasters" aren't exactly flying off the shelves so I don't think getting another product in time for the Christmas season is something they need to be too concerned with at this point.  Maybe they are taking their time with this archive set it and will release something good - that would be something they haven't tried in a while.

The remasters aren't exactly being promoted either.  I've seen one ad since their release.  Universal seems to have just gotten them out so the albums aren't out of print for those who might be so inclined for now.  No sense in going against a recently dead pop star and the Beatles catalog with the Rock Band release in a bad economy.  Save the promotion bucks for closer to time of a tour and or new album.  If I had to put money on it - I'd say that is the marketing thinking. 

Catalog sales will naturally increase when Ya-Ya's and Exile are redone.  Then again when the (I pray!) new album and tour hit.

As for a new bunch of rarities...Hey Santa!  I got a list for ya!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #54 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 4:33am
Gazza wrote on Oct 3rd, 2009 at 4:31pm:
A guy on IORR called HighWireC who seems to have a bit of insight into what Universal are doing is suggesting that an archives project is now more likely to be released AFTER the Stones go on the road next year (presumably after a new studio album)

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #55 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 7:47am
Gazza wrote on Oct 3rd, 2009 at 4:31pm:

so has the concept changed from another 40 licks type of release to a full length? They should really try something different, like release a series of 3 to 5 song ep's during a tour, really take a risk at putting out new music, since things have changed so much... market new music and a tour in a different way... they've always been able to reinvent the the wheel. they need to offer me a job...

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #56 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:19pm
AngieBlue wrote on Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:33pm:

The remasters aren't exactly being promoted either.  I've seen one ad since their release.  Universal seems to have just gotten them out so the albums aren't out of print for those who might be so inclined for now.  No sense in going against a recently dead pop star and the Beatles catalog with the Rock Band release in a bad economy.  Save the promotion bucks for closer to time of a tour and or new album.  If I had to put money on it - I'd say that is the marketing thinking.  

Catalog sales will naturally increase when Ya-Ya's and Exile are redone.  Then again when the (I pray!) new album and tour hit.

As for a new bunch of rarities...Hey Santa!  I got a list for ya!

I think you're pretty much right about everything - but just want to add that I was in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and they had just about the whole collection of Remasters on display (several of which for $8) that I happened to notice just walking by, wasn't even in the store to look at CD's.  I know its not the same as actually printing ads (btw I have seen a couple), but given the hype surrounding the Beatles right now I would think in-store advertising is the best sales tactic they've got, so I wouldn't say they're not trying at all.  But I'm sure we'll see more surrounding the Exile release.

As for the unreleased set, I think Gazza's info is probably right on.  Until the next album/tour happens people could care less about the Stones.  Anything that might get released at such a low point in their activity cycle wouldn't likely have any more thought put into it than Rarities.  I'm sure if they announced it tomorrow & gave a full tracklisting it would be a joke to us

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #57 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Child of the Moon wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 3:00pm:
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 10:13am:
"Includes rare and unreleased live and studio recordings"

^ My inside sources have leaked info that "Mannish Boy" live at El Mocombo will be included.

Man, if they manage to get the Stripped-era version of Wild Horses, that would be just AWESOME.

Boring post

What Stripped era version of Wild Horses? As you know, it is on the Stripped CD so which one are you speaking of? Simply Curious?

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #58 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:39am
Pdog wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 7:47am:
They should really try something different, like release a series of 3 to 5 song ep's during a tour, really take a risk at putting out new music, since things have changed so much... market new music and a tour in a different way... they've always been able to reinvent the the wheel. they need to offer me a job...

Yes, yes, yes! I've been banging my drum about this for months. Their only use for a major label at this point is management of its archives and future reissues from same. Other than that, they need to reconsider how they've done business from '89 onward: the corporate-sponsored late-summer new album/tour package, with the dramatic, stunt-laden announcement. It's stale. They've wrung every dollar they can out of what is essentially a pre-meltdown model.

U2 is putting on a big show, yes -- but they're charging about an average of $55 a head while also opening up a swath of stadium-seating that's typically gobbled up by a stage. Lots of room for lots of warm bodies, in other words.

The Jagger/Cohl approach — gouge a decreasing number of well-heeled fans with ever-increasing severity — is done for.

If they release a standard new album next year, it will attract even fewer ears than did "A Bigger Bang."

If they want to release new material, great. Just give the damn thing away. Better yet, perhaps, sell it in stores, but give it away digitally with each ticket purchase. All things being equal, sales would probably end up the same, but the band could expect more concergoers to actually know the new material.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #59 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:56am
The funny thing is that the Beatles remastered hasnt exactly set the world on fire either.

As for U2, their current album died a quick death.

I think it's a great idea for the Stones to record new stuff and give it away as part of a your ticket. On a usb stick with a Stones tongue on it. That way, they can say their new album sold around 5 million units!

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #60 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:11am
To expect the word "free" to be incorporated in so far as a new album after the new Universal deal is a stretch I would think.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #61 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 9:11am
Well at least it would make for something new, even though Prince did it a couple of years ago I think, dude's totally irrelevant now though, who would have thunk back in 1987...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #62 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:11am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:11am:
To expect the word "free" to be incorporated in so far as a new album after the new Universal deal is a stretch I would think.

It wouldn't technically be free; it could be integrated into the price of a ticket, like those notorious parking fees.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #63 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:12am
still giddy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)