Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AC DC -- The Next Leg (Read 3,175 times)
lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
AC DC -- The Next Leg
Jul 29th, 2009 at 7:40am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
My wife and I brought our 11 year-old, Keith, to his first AC-DC show last night at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.  We started the day in Fort Lauderdale where Allison and I had been the last 5 days.  Then we flew up--our flight, or course, late and barely made the show!  A GREAT time was had by all---pretty much the same as last November when we saw them, but they added another cut from the new album, "War Machine" from 'Black Ice'.  They played from 8:45 or so to just before 11.   Angus bobs a little less to save his neck muscles and still runs around everywhere!  Brian at one point exclaimed "he's got the devil in his fingers!"  Seeing them outdoors is easier on the ears--my previous 18 AC-DC excursions have all been indoors!!   My son was blown away by the sound though!
Traffic sucks--no better than the old stadium.  I despise Foxboro as a venue....sigh, necessary evil....

"Rock N Roll Train”
“Hell Ain’t A Bad Place to Be”
“Back in Black”
“Big Jack”
“Shot Down in Flames”
“Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap”
“Thunderstruck”
“Black Ice”
“The Jack”
“Hells Bells”
“Shoot to Thrill”
“War Machine”
“Dog Eat Dog”
“Anything Goes”
“You Shook Me All Night Long”
“T.N.T.”
“Whole Lotta Rosie”
“Let There Be Rock”

Encore:
“Highway to Hell”
“For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)”

Rolling Stone's review-AC/DC Blast “Black Ice,” Classic Riffs as Tour Roars to a Start
7/29/09, 8:23 am EST

“You ever heard of AC/DC?” an older fan was overheard asking a college-aged kid last night on the way into Massachusetts’ Gillette Stadium, site of the group’s Black Ice North American tour opener. “Isn’t that the band that sings only about sex and rock?” was the response. The answer, quite unequivocally — and gloriously — was yes.

Following an enthusiastic set by tireless Canadian rockers — and sudden documentary film stars — Anvil, AC/DC seized the arena on Tuesday night, uniting generations along the way. The stage itself was a black, rectangular monstrosity, with three jumbo screens and a giant set of speakers matching the first level of loge seats in height. As the headliners emerged, around 8:45 p.m., an already-intoxicated crowd of 46,500 rose to its feet and did not sit for the remainder of the night.

If fans wanted subtlety, they needed to go elsewhere. Cartoon images of a train carrying the Australian quintet led to an actual locomotive model crashing onstage, which preceded the band’s performance of “Rock N Roll Train,” the first track off its latest album, Black Ice. “It’s good to see you!” screamed lead singer Brian Johnson. Deafening applause ensued. “You guys are making us feel proud up here!” he continued.

Next came a mix of classic AC/DC cuts (”Back in Black,” “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap”) and tracks from their recent disc, with the latter having slightly less pull. It didn’t really matter, though. New song or old, the audience reacted exactly the same way: with a massive roar, a beach ball or two being tossed through the air, and a determination to keep on standing.

The band dressed in its usual elegiac attire — drummer Phil Rudd in black tee, rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young in black tank, and Johnson in black, sleeveless vest (pulled off remarkably well by the 61-year-old). As always, the wardrobe award went to lead guitarist Angus Young, who wore his traditional black schoolboy uniform only to remove it during an extended striptease midway through “The Jack.” Ironically, while Young’s no-frills, show-within-the-show has become something of a predictable concert event (he stopped at the AC/DC-themed boxer shorts), fans did seem surprised when a cameraman stumbled upon David Spade and Chris Rock sitting side-by-side in the front row.

After a brief lull, Angus took over conducting duties from Johnson and drove the express to its finish. (”That guy’s got the devil in his fingers!” exclaimed the singer.) He didn’t nail every note, but from “You Shook Me All Night Long” forward, he blasted by on sheer force of will. “Let There Be Rock” saw the guitarist run across a walkway leading to the sound booth, re-emerge on its roof, play both lying down and behind his head, then sprint back to the stage for a 10-minute solo jam. Even the pyrotechnics of “Highway to Hell,” the six-cannon salute of “For Those About to Rock,” and the subsequent stadium fireworks felt like afterthoughts in comparison.

The Boston Herald's review--

AC/DC still hell on wheels
By Jim Sullivan  |   Wednesday, July 29, 2009  |  http://www.bostonherald.com ; |  Music News

The animated locomotive, No. 666, roared into Gillette Stadium last night, on the huge screen center-stage. Its pilot was a cartoon version of AC/DC guitarist Angus Young, boasting devil horns and a malicious grin. Also aboard: Hot chicks. Soon, amidst the noise and clatter, the train careened and derailed, pyrotechnics exploded on stage, and a replica of that train emerged, smoking, parked just behind drummer Phil Rudd. And AC/DC was playing “Rock ’n’ Roll Train,” a full-tilt chugging rocker.

We were off to the races and on the highway to hell. AC/DC likes the notion of hell. Consider what they played before 46,500-plus think hell is a destination location. There was “Hell Ain’t a Bad Place,” “Hells Bells” and an encore of “Highway to Hell.” And hell, really, is just a rock ’n ’roll metaphor meaning “live for today.”

Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson wrote the immortal words,- “You’re never too old to rock ’n’ roll if you’re too young to die,” in 1976. That came one year after Aussie upstarts released its debut album “High Voltage.”

More than three decades along that way to the top, they are words AC/DC lives by (not that they’d care to sing them.) They are to hard rock ’n’ boogie what the Ramones were to punk rock. They discovered their strengths early, stuck to ’em through everything and they remain a staple in a world of constant change. Even when Englishman Brian Johnson replaced the late Bon Scott in 1980 on vocals, the machine re-tooled and kept churning.

Angus Young, who always dresses as a schoolboy in disgrace, drops his short pants and shows off his backside, did it again at Foxboro. But this time - in a nod to maturity - he showed not his bare bum, but a pair of AC/DC skivvies during “The Jack.”

There were plenty of sing-along crowd-pleasers: “You Shook Me All Night Long,” “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” and “Back in Black,” to name but three. The regular set closed with Angus on his naked back, spinning around on stage, playing the final licks to “Let There Be Rock.”

AC/DC closed with “For Those About to Rock (We Salute You),” which featured at least a dozen canon explosions and, after the song concluded, a fireworks display.

AC/DC remains about as subtle as a flying mallet. And no worse the wear for flying the flag they know so proudly.

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 7:46am by lotsajizz »  

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: AC DC -- The Next Leg
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:29am
sounds like a sweet vacation

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 7:38pm
sounds like a good show.  does angus wear that little leather nap sac still?  i always thought that was funny.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 7:58pm
yes, he still does the whole schtick...then the strip-tease, then just the shorts the whole rest of the way

random observations--Angus' hair is looong again, if thinning up top

Brian's voice was a weapon!  the only flagging was towards the end with "Highway To Hell" where he seemed to save some shredding for the finale, "For Those About To Rock"

Malcom looked WHACKED!!

Cliff Williams has a LOT of miles on him

Phil Rudd is as solid and subtle as a brick wall

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Does anyone else see the humour in a thread started by the name of  lotsajizz with the title  AC DC -- The Next Leg.

Grin

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:11pm
the third leg Wink Perverted Mick

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:12pm
I like how they opened  with a song from the latest album. Read an article not too long ago saying that Brian is strongly considering retirement.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:17pm
lotsajizz wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:11pm:
the third leg Wink Perverted Mick

... Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:19pm by Bingo »  

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 9:11pm
I will be seeing them in Chicago in a few weeks. Can't wait!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 9:53pm
Friday 7/31 at Giants Stadium for me  ~ I'm glad they are playing some songs from Black Ice ~ I love War Machine and Big Jack!

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 7:08am
You will get at least 5 songs from the new album.  I wish the Stones would've done that.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:02am
The Stones DID do that, and more! Not at every gig, but they did play these and I heard the virgin performacnce of Rain Fall Down in Philly. It was kinda rough around the ending.

Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Infamy
This Place is Empty
Streets of Love
Oh No Not You Again

a few times
Back of My Hand

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:40am
They also played "It Won't Take Long". Don't forget that one.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:46am by Boomy »  

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 11:03am
This look like the exact same set list as the last leg. I dont recognize any changes since last year

its a great list though!

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 7:04pm
'Dog Eat Dog' was an addition, at least to us in New England

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 10:46am
Dog Eat Dog? Yay! OK I'm getting ready for the show at Giants Stadium today.

Ticket ~ check
Money for rip-off parking lot ~ check
bottle of wine ~ check
snacks for the ride home
raingear ~ uh yeah they are prediction thunderstorms tonight again
camera and cell phone ~ recharged batteries

All set and it's only 12 noon!  Smiley

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 2:19pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 10:46am:

$40 friggin' bucks at Foxboro!  lots of open tokin' there....be prepared

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:46pm
Dog Eat Dog? Yay! OK I'm getting ready for the show at Giants Stadium today.

Ticket ~ check
bottle of wine ~ check
snacks for the ride home
raingear ~ uh yeah they are prediction thunderstorms tonight again
camera and cell phone ~ recharged batteries

All set and it's only 12 noon!  Smiley

as usual i look forward to your videos bitch.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #18 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:51pm
lotsajizz wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 2:19pm:

$40 friggin' bucks at Foxboro!  lots of open tokin' there....be prepared

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

is open tokin the new mass motto? Grin

smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:30pm
In 3 Month the train will stops in Mexico!!!!

THE DREAM WILL COME TRUE!!!

No need a Stones tour, the Black Ice Tour Rules!!!!

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 5:35am
Bitch wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:02am:
The Stones DID do that, and more! Not at every gig, but they did play these and I heard the virgin performacnce of Rain Fall Down in Philly. It was kinda rough around the ending.

Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Infamy
This Place is Empty
Streets of Love
Oh No Not You Again

a few times
Back of My Hand

It Won't Take Long was performed once as well.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:31am
Bitch wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:02am:

Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Infamy
This Place is Empty
Streets of Love
Oh No Not You Again

a few times
Back of My Hand

They never played all of those in one show.  My point remains, the Stones played less new songs per show.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
AC DC -- Giants Stadium review
Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 5:46pm
OK Rocks-Off! It took me 2 days recovery time to write this review and upload the videos. First thing I want to say is I HATE GIANTS STADIUM! IT SUCKS! Wet and rainy day, the place was soaking wet, the chairs and floor had puddles, the humidity was at 100% plus it was really hot outside. It took hours to get there in Friday rush hour traffic even tho I left hours earlier to beat it, it couldnt be beat and the NJ Turnpike became the Highway to HELL! After paying rip off tolls & $20 parking, the place was so fvcking crowded, and I was yelling at people to stop pushing and shoving! Everyone was sticky and sweaty, the bathrooms for the Floor Seat area are lined up Port-a-Pottys which stink so nasty its enough to make you puke. I had to hold it in. I didnt realize there are so many gay fans for AC/DC (I guess the band name itself indicates swinging both ways) so there was no end to the gay public display of both men and women. Lots of tatoos and piercings, drunk and high people. Wow what a wild, raunchy crowd. OK, too much information?

Let me move on to the show. That fvcking ROCKED! Angus Young is the most talented energetic genious totally focused and absorbed musician.  That man became rock and roll, he wasnt just playing it, ANGUS IS IT! He rocked the stadium to an all time level of intensity! Man I see alot of shows and I havent seen AC/DC in many years, and I was totally amazed that Angus has this kind of stamina and high level of energy and banged out every note, his hands were raw and red from playing, he was a ROCK & ROLL BEAST! That should be the title of the next album! Stage and props were top notch and interesting, a very steady performance for about 2 hours. There was not one bad or boring second, it was totally amazing. Five ***** stars in my book for AC/DC ~ they truly are what a ROCK and ROLL BAND should be! Lots of classic 'war horses' mixed in with some new songs and they elaborated on the studio versions to make the old songs more interesting. I LOVED IT!  Not to ignore the rest of the band who were tight and cool and way talented, but Aggus is the star of that show for sure.

Runaway Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTampknRBO0

Back In Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1-MSwNVyHA

Big Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV6dYj0GW0

Whole Lotta Rosie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ASAKURqSs

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 6:43pm
sweet...Angus still delivers the goods!!

stu-smiling

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 7:42pm
Thanks for the links, Bitch!

I caught 'the train' at the beginning of the tour and I'm catching them again next week.  Looks like Angus is still in rare form with plenty of zip left in him...God bless him!

Thanks, again   Let's go get drunk

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)