Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
John Dawson RIP (Read 598 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

John Dawson RIP
Jul 23rd, 2009 at 4:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
John Dawson, co-founder of Jerry Garcia's other band, dies

By Paul Liberatore
Marin Independent Journal
Posted: 07/23/2009 10:02:29 AM PDT

John "Marmaduke" Dawson, a singer-songwriter who co-founded the psychedelic country-rock band the New Riders of the Purple Sage with the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia, died Wednesday in Mexico after a bout with stomach cancer, the band announced. He was 64.

Mr. Dawson, who retired to Mexico in the 1990s, formed the New Riders in 1969 with Garcia, who needed a band outside of the Grateful Dead to practice his nascent pedal steel guitar playing.
Fronted by Mr. Dawson, the lead singer, the New Riders released eight albums on Columbia Records from 1971 to 1976, including "The Adventures of Panama Red," a gold record that featured Peter Rowan's pot paean "Panama Red."

As a songwriter, Mr. Dawson co-wrote the Grateful Dead classic "Friend of the Devil," as well as "Glendale Train," "Garden of Eden" and "Last Lonely Eagle" for the New Riders.

The band became a successful touring act, and in 1974 played for 50,000 fans in New York's Central Park. They shared an office on Second Street in San Rafael with another Marin band, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen.

Saying he was weary of life on the road, Mr. Dawson retired in the late '90s. In 2001, he rejoined his former bandmates for a one-off concert at a California party, but he chose not to participate in a version of the band that regrouped in 2006 and remains active today. But he gave his blessing.

John Dawson had a great knack for writing classic American songs," said Marin resident Rob Bleetstein, the New Riders' archivist and Web master. "A song like 'Glendale Train' could be looked at as a traditional American folk song.

"In terms of American music, the New Riders were the quintessential psychedelic country band," Bleetstein added. "In 1969, there wasn't anyone doing what they were doing. With Garcia's sound on pedal steel and Dawson's great songs and imagery, they really had something special."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAln2Fs61vA&feature=related
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2009 at 4:34pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: John Dawson RIP
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 4:47pm
RIP JOHN

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 5:02pm
bummer...thanks for the tunes john.  rip

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 5:04pm
R.I.P. Marmaduke.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 5:42pm
McDuke passed away? I had no idea he was sick. Major loss... John was a talented singer and writer. I hope he and Jerry are jamming on "I Hear a Voice Callin'" somewhere...

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 6:12pm
rip 'duke

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Panama Red, Panama Red
It'll steal your woman, then'll rob your head

Cool song, another one bites the dust. Lots of people dying these days. KEEF's gonna outlive everyone~ RIP Dawson! Better seen on weed!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 11:04pm
I saw N.R.P.S. twice in their heyday.  The first time was opening for the Grateful Dead at the legendary Veneta show on 08/27/72.  The next time was in May 1973 at the Churchill High School Auditorium in Eugene, Oregon; the opening act was Old and In the Way.  What I remember best about that show is that OAITW played "Wild Horses" and N.R.P.S. played "Honky Tonk Women." 

RIP Marmaduke.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)