Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Forty . . . (Read 2,893 times)
gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Forty . . .
Jul 7th, 2009 at 11:20am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I know this is going to sound awful, but the truth is that I'd rather die than turn 40.

See ya!

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Forty . . .
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 11:21am
gorda wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 11:20am:
I know this is going to sound awful, but the truth is that I'd rather die than turn 40.

See ya!

How old are you? I've always felt the same way. And now I am 35 so I have slightly amended that to I would rather die than grow up.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 11:34am

See ya!

you'll be fine.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 11:36am

That explains the big fonts.

Your eyesight is going... Wink

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 12:37pm
Oh crap. 14 years to go.

Actually, that’s a little scary for someone who was still at school this centaury  Shocked

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:37pm

See ya!

The suicidal tone in this really saddens and scares me... 40 has been awesome to and for me...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm
" ... 40 has been awesome to and for me... "

Frig Yeah   !!!!

My forties have been friggin great  ........ thanks to all the lovely young women in their twenties Smiley !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:04pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:37pm:

See ya!

The suicidal tone in this really saddens and scares me... 40 has been awesome to and for me...

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:35pm
the forties can be pretty damn good.

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:40pm
I stopped counting at 33.

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:56pm
40 the perfect age for a mother-daughter hook-up.  Cool

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:57pm
" 40 the perfect age for a mother-daughter hook-up.  "

This makes Joey smile .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Hey Gorda, it beats the alternative. If you have your health, you have everything you need.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 4:11pm
Bingo wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 3:56pm:
40 the perfect age for a mother-daughter hook-up.  Cool

I'm going to have to see some pictures first.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 4:54pm
Joey wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm:
" ... 40 has been awesome to and for me... "

Frig Yeah   !!!!

My forties have been friggin great  ........ thanks to all the lovely young women in their twenties Smiley !!!!

4 young chiquita's in Omaha Who stole this one? (Seriously)

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 6:22pm
you're not getting older, you're getting better.

everybody say owww

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 7:32pm

See ya!

Stick with it, Gorda. You will be pleasantly surprised by your 40's...and beyond.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:28pm
40 (number)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
← 3941 →40
← 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 →
List of numbers — Integers
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 →
Cardinal      forty
Ordinal      40th
(fortieth)
Numeral system      quadragesimal
Factorization      
Divisors      1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 20, 40
Roman numeral      XL
Binary      1010002
Octal      508
Duodecimal      3412
Hexadecimal      2816
Hebrew מ (Mem)
40 (forty) is the natural number following 39 and preceding 41.
Despite being related to the word "four" (4), 40 is spelled "forty", not "fourty [sic]". This is because etymologically (and still in accents without the horse-hoarse merger), the words have different vowels, "forty" containing a contraction in the same way that "fifty" contains a contraction of "five". The letters of the word "forty" are in alphabetical order; this is the only number that has this linguistic property in English.
Contents [hide]
1 In mathematics
2 In science
2.1 Astronomy
3 In religion
4 In other fields
5 Historical years
6 See also
7 References
[edit]In mathematics

Forty is an octagonal number, and as the sum of the first four pentagonal numbers, it is a pentagonal pyramidal number. Adding up some subsets of its divisors (e.g., 1, 4, 5, 10 and 20) gives 40, hence 40 is a semiperfect number.
Given 40, the Mertens function returns 0. 40 is the smallest number n with exactly 9 solutions to the equation φ(x) = n.
Forty is the number of n-queens problem solutions for n = 7.
Since the greatest prime factor of 402 + 1 = 1601 is prime and obviously more than 40 twice, 40 is a Størmer number.
40 is a repdigit in base 3 (1111) and a Harshad number in base 10.
     Look up forty in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
[edit]In science

The atomic number of zirconium.
Negative forty is the temperature at which the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales correspond; that is, −40°F = −40°C. It is referred to as either "minus forty" or "forty below".
[edit]Astronomy
The planet Venus forms a pentagram in the night sky every eight years with it returning to its original point every 40 years with a 40 day regression (some scholars believe that this ancient information was the basis for the #40 becoming sacred to Jews, Christians, and Muslims).
Messier object M40, a magnitude 9.0 double star in the constellation Ursa Major
The New General Catalogue object NGC 40, a magnitude 12.4 planetary nebula in the constellation Cepheus
The Saros number of the
solar eclipse series which began on -1653 May 28 and ended on -373 July 4. The duration of Saros series 40 was 1280.1 years, and it contained 72 solar eclipses.
lunar eclipse series which began on -1387 February 12 and ended on -71 April 12. The duration of Saros series 40 was 1316.2 years, and it contained 74 lunar eclipses.
[edit]In religion

The number 40 is significant in Jewish, Christian, Islamic, and other Middle Eastern traditions; it can also represent a rough calculation, a huge sum of units, or simply put, a lot of something.
"Forty days and forty nights" describes the period for which rain fell during Noah's flood
"Forty days" was the length of the period that the twelve spies explored the Promised Land (Numbers 13)
"Forty years" was the length of Israel's wandering in the wilderness. This period of years represents a generation, that is, the time it takes for a new generation to arise.
Moses' life is divided into three 40-year segments, separated by his fleeing from Egypt, and his return to lead the people out.
Several Israelite leaders and kings are said to have ruled for "forty years", that is, a generation. (Examples: Eli, Saul, David, Solomon.)
According to the Midrash, Moses spent three consecutive periods of "forty days and forty nights" on Mount Sinai:
He went up on the seventh day of Sivan, after God gave the Torah to the Jewish people, in order to learn the Torah from God, and came down on the seventeenth day of Tammuz, when he saw the Jews worshiping the Golden Calf and broke the tablets
He went up on the eighteenth day of Tammuz to beg forgiveness for the people's sin and came down without God's atonement on the twenty-ninth day of Av
He went up on the first day of Elul and came down on the tenth day of Tishrei, the first Yom Kippur, with God's atonement
Rabbi Akiva, the greatest expositor of the Oral Torah, only began learning how to read Hebrew when he was 40 years old
A mikvah consists of 40 se'ah (approximately 200 gallons) of water
40 lashes is one of the punishments meted out by the Sanhedrin (in actual practice, only 39 lashes were administered)
Jesus was presented at the Temple forty days after his birth.
"Forty days and forty nights" was the period Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness, after which he was tempted by Satan.
Forty days was the period from Jesus' resurrection till his ascension into heaven.
In modern Christian practice, Lent consists of the 40 days preceding Easter. In much of Western Christianity Sundays are excluded from the count; in Eastern Christianity Sundays are included.
The dead are usually mourned for forty days in Muslim cultures
Ad-Dajjal roams around the Earth in forty days, forty days that can be as many as forty months, forty years, and so on.
Khadijah is said to be forty years old when she married Muhammad
Muhammad is said to be forty years old when he first received the revelation delivered by an angel
In the Yazidi faith, The Chermera temple (meaning “40 Men” in the Yazidi dialect) is so old that no one remembers how it came to have that name but it is believed to derive from the burial of 40 men on the mountaintop site.
Some Russians believe that ghosts of the dead linger at the site of their death for forty days
In Hinduism, some popular religious prayers consist of forty shlokas or dohas (couplets, stanzas). The most common being the Hanuman Chalisa (chaalis is the Hindi term for 40) .
[edit]In other fields

Forty is also:
To understand a people, you must live among them for 40 days. ~Arabic proverb [1][2]
the caliber of the bullet in the .40 S&W handgun cartridge
in the Saying "Life begins at forty"
in the expression "forty winks", meaning a short sleep
the distance run in the 40 yard dash in American football scouting
A song by Dave Matthews Band
the number of years of marriage as the ruby wedding anniversary
the code for direct dial international phone calls to Romania
the number in the designation of:
Interstate 40, a freeway that runs from California to North Carolina
U.S. Route 40, the 2,285-mile (3,677 km) highway that runs from Baltimore, Maryland, to Park City, Utah, a portion of which follows the National Road
European route E40 from Calais to Ridder
the A40 and M40, important highways in the UK. The A40 is a trunk road in England and Wales, connecting London to Fishguard. The M40 motorway is the second motorway in the British transport network to connect London to Birmingham
"40", a 1983 song by U2 from their album War
"40'" is the title of a song by Franz Ferdinand
The band Crush 40
in the title of the Food Network show $40 a Day
in the name of WD-40, a spray lubricant
in the name of the food additive FD & C Red Dye #40, commonly known as "Red 40"
the 40 ounce (1.183 liter) size used for liquor, typically fairly cheap malt liquor; a person sometimes "pours a forty on the curb", i.e., pours out said bottle onto the street, in memory of a person who has died
the number of questions asked in the theory road test in the Republic of Ireland
the number of thieves in Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, from Thousand and One Nights (both the numbers 40 and 1001 are more likely to mean "many" than to indicate a specific number)
the customary number of hours in a regular workweek in some Western countries. The song, "40 Hour Week (For a Livin')" by Alabama (as well as their album, 40-Hour Week), takes its name from the standard workweek length.
the classic Russian vodka is alcohol content 40 percent by volume
the jersey number of Pat Tillman, which was retired by the Arizona Cardinals
the jersey number of Gayle Sayers, which was retired by the Chicago Bears
the number of wires in a Parallel ATA-cable
Form 1040 (referred to as a "ten-forty") is a standard Internal Revenue Service form used to file for federal taxes in the United Sates
UB40 is a form for those claiming unemployment benefits in the United Kingdom. The band UB40 was named after this form
The Rolling Stones CD "Forty Licks" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CHECK THIS OUT! Blank Frigging Stare
the number of positions on a number of radio countdown programs, most notably American Top 40 and American Country Countdown.
for The Early Show segment "Chef on a Shoestring", chefs are given a $40 budget. Most chefs bring it in under. (For holidays they are given $80).
the M40 (field protective mask), a United States military gas mask
generally considered the number of points that a Premier League team needs to avoid relegation.
forty is the number of weeks for an average term of pregnancy, counting from the woman’s last menstrual period.
The number of the French department Landes
In tennis, the number 40 represents the third point gained in a game. A score of 40-40 (three points each) is called "deuce", at which time a player must score two consecutive points to win the game.
Ronald Reagan was the 40th president from 1981 to 1989.
[edit]Historical years

40 A.D., 40 B.C., 1940, 2040, etc.
[edit]See also

40 acres and a mule
[edit]References

^ Dallal, Tamalyn (2007). 40 Days & 1001 Nights. Seattle: Melati Press. back cover. ISBN 978-0-9795155-0-7.
^ "40 Days & 1001 Nights - One Woman's Dance Through Life in the Islamic World".

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:02am

My forties were the best years I ever had....for a number of reasons.

The fifties are OK too...BUT thats when all the wear and tear starts to catch up. Not good.
Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:08am
45 ain't so bad.....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:47am
lotsajizz wrote on Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:08am:
45 ain't so bad.....

No age is bad ................ PROVIDED you ain't sick. HEALTH is THE most important thing. I just wish I had figured that out sooner before I picked up all these bad habits.  Grin

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:00am
It's not the years that get ya, it's the mileage!
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:02am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:08am
" It's not the years that get ya, it's the mileage ! "

... !!!!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #23 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:52am
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:47am:
45 ain't so bad.....

No age is bad ................ PROVIDED you ain't sick. HEALTH is THE most important thing. I just wish I had figured that out sooner before I picked up all these bad habits.  Grin

Exactly! I will be turning {GULP!} 57 at the end of the month. Most people think I'm in my early 30's. I dress like I'm in my 20's. I act like.....well, never mind! lol Yeah, it's mostly about not growing up TOO much on the inside. Wink

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #24 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 1:55pm
45 ain't so bad.....

A 45, 40...yeah, I'm ghetto.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)