Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oldest WW1 Veteran Dies Aged 113 (Read 3,001 times)
Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Re: Oldest WW1 Veteran Dies Aged 113
Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 11:29am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Yes, RIP Mr Patch.

He was the last surviving to serve in the actual trenches.

I am glad to hear there is one left alive in Australia though!

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 12:16pm
Is there? I thought our guy died too. Our bloke was Jack Kenna and he was a WW2 vet. Dont forget, we started in 1914. America came into WW1 in 1917.

hey, it was a long time ago. Very brave men. As far as i am concerned for all Aussie soldiers in WW1, very naive, dumb men. We lost more or less a whole fucking generation fighting, not for us, but for other countries in things that didnt apply to us. Some obscure Archduke gets shot, and next thing you know, we are sending our boys off to fight in far off battles for no fucking reason. Kinda like Vietnam. But as we all know, that was payback for America helping us out in WW2. No one else came in for the fun!

An amazing book is THE ANZACS. Not only reveals the absolute carnage, but also, the devotion to mates that Australia became famous for in WW1. Us idiots, and New Zealanders, lost (per capita) some of the most atrocious losses in "the great war". All for nothing. Except, to have a public holiday and pretend we give a shit. Am i a pacifist? Yeah, i guess. But if some dickhead is knocking on the door, then ya gotta fight. But, apart from 1942, we aint never had that. For us to throw away 10's of thousands of men for other peoples unjustified wars is/was just plain dumb, and a blight on our insecurity.

Gallipolli, was major blunder (and one part orchestrated by Churchill) is claimed to have made us "a nation". It made us "grow up". Well, i dont fucking get it. How does killing 10's of thousands of young men make a young country a nation? Most of them considered themselves English anyway! We had no beef with Turkey! General Atiturk, and amazing man, was amazed at our bravery and tenacity. He sent a letter to all the mothers of Australia's fallen. His letter is read out at every Anzac service. Marvellous words.

I saw the great film 'THe fog of war" last week on our cable. Never seen it all.Well, what a eye opener. McNamara (CUNT!) describrs so poignantly a meeting in the mid 90's with his Nth Viet counterpart. Sort of makes the deaths of both sides seem even more immoral. Yet, the old canterkerous old fucker wouldnt even say sorry for the deaths of Aussies, Yanks or Vietnamese. Really a film every neo con/chickenhawk should view. In fact, McNamara admitted the Yabks had no aliies in the whole affair. No U.N. No French (who already knew the Vietnames were proudly independent) or the Poms oR the Germans - only real ally was us. And the bastard didnt even recognise us!! And this was after our prick Prme Minsister Menzies lied to Parliament to get us there! Such gratitude!
i

So long sucker

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 5:45pm
corgi37 wrote on Jul 25th, 2009 at 12:16pm:
Is there? I thought our guy died too. Our bloke was Jack Kenna and he was a WW2 vet.

the guy in question is English, but lives in Australia.

There are only 3 WW1 veterans left alive - the other two are Canadian and American.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2009 at 6:07pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #28 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 10:18pm
holy shit!

HOLY SHIT!

the last combat veteran from the world's second most terrible war gone. amazing. it is now committed to history. and about a week after allingham. amazing.

we've got about twenty some odd years left with the WWII generation...but they will be gone soon enough too.

patch saw some serious action at passchendaele. for those that haven't seen the recent flick with the goofy canuck from "due south", you should see it ASAP. best WWI combat footage i've ever seen.

Rest in peace, Mr Patch. I believe you will be heading to Westminster, no?

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 5:24am
Starbuck wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
holy shit!for those that haven't seen the recent flick with the goofy canuck from "due south", you should see it ASAP. best WWI combat footage i've ever seen.

What is the name of the film you're talking about ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 9:30am
Edith Grove wrote on Jul 27th, 2009 at 5:24am:
Starbuck wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
holy shit!for those that haven't seen the recent flick with the goofy canuck from "due south", you should see it ASAP. best WWI combat footage i've ever seen.

What is the name of the film you're talking about ?

check it out:

http://www.watch-movies-links.net/movies/passchendaele/

i think i posted it somewheres about 6 months ago. sappy love story, but the combat at the end is worth the wait.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 7:13pm

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 8:48pm
Is there? I thought our guy died too. Our bloke was Jack Kenna and he was a WW2 vet. Dont forget, we started in 1914. America came into WW1 in 1917.

hey, it was a long time ago. Very brave men. As far as i am concerned for all Aussie soldiers in WW1, very naive, dumb men. We lost more or less a whole fucking generation fighting, not for us, but for other countries in things that didnt apply to us. Some obscure Archduke gets shot, and next thing you know, we are sending our boys off to fight in far off battles for no fucking reason. Kinda like Vietnam. But as we all know, that was payback for America helping us out in WW2. No one else came in for the fun!

An amazing book is THE ANZACS. Not only reveals the absolute carnage, but also, the devotion to mates that Australia became famous for in WW1. Us idiots, and New Zealanders, lost (per capita) some of the most atrocious losses in "the great war". All for nothing. Except, to have a public holiday and pretend we give a shit. Am i a pacifist? Yeah, i guess. But if some dickhead is knocking on the door, then ya gotta fight. But, apart from 1942, we aint never had that. For us to throw away 10's of thousands of men for other peoples unjustified wars is/was just plain dumb, and a blight on our insecurity.

Gallipolli, was major blunder (and one part orchestrated by Churchill) is claimed to have made us "a nation". It made us "grow up". Well, i dont fucking get it. How does killing 10's of thousands of young men make a young country a nation? Most of them considered themselves English anyway! We had no beef with Turkey! General Atiturk, and amazing man, was amazed at our bravery and tenacity. He sent a letter to all the mothers of Australia's fallen. His letter is read out at every Anzac service. Marvellous words.

I saw the great film 'THe fog of war" last week on our cable. Never seen it all.Well, what a eye opener. McNamara (CUNT!) describrs so poignantly a meeting in the mid 90's with his Nth Viet counterpart. Sort of makes the deaths of both sides seem even more immoral. Yet, the old canterkerous old fucker wouldnt even say sorry for the deaths of Aussies, Yanks or Vietnamese. Really a film every neo con/chickenhawk should view. In fact, McNamara admitted the Yabks had no aliies in the whole affair. No U.N. No French (who already knew the Vietnames were proudly independent) or the Poms oR the Germans - only real ally was us. And the bastard didnt even recognise us!! And this was after our prick Prme Minsister Menzies lied to Parliament to get us there! Such gratitude!
i

So long sucker

good post...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:00am
hey, it was a long time ago. Very brave men. As far as i am concerned for all Aussie soldiers in WW1, very naive, dumb men. We lost more or less a whole fucking generation fighting, not for us, but for other countries in things that didnt apply to us. Some obscure Archduke gets shot, and next thing you know, we are sending our boys off to fight in far off battles for no fucking reason.

Yep. I think WW1 takes the biscuit for most appalling loss of life for the most insignificant reason.

The Somme was our darkest ever hour in terms of casualties - especially where I come from, where one division (36th Ulster) sacrificed thousands, especially on the first day .

Check out the list of casualties in this one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

Over one million men killed in one four month battle. Just to gain an advance of a couple of miles.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 10:01am
Gazza wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:00am:
hey, it was a long time ago. Very brave men. As far as i am concerned for all Aussie soldiers in WW1, very naive, dumb men. We lost more or less a whole fucking generation fighting, not for us, but for other countries in things that didnt apply to us. Some obscure Archduke gets shot, and next thing you know, we are sending our boys off to fight in far off battles for no fucking reason.

Yep. I think WW1 takes the biscuit for most appalling loss of life for the most insignificant reason.

The Somme was our darkest ever hour in terms of casualties - especially where I come from, where one division (36th Ulster) sacrificed thousands, especially on the first day .

Check out the list of casualties in this one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

Over one million men killed in one four month battle. Just to gain an advance of a couple of miles.

gazza, why wasn't haig drawn and quartered for that unmitigated disaster?

the simple fact of the matter is this: on the first day of the battle alone, the british army lost 60,000 men....with just short of 20,000 KIA. think about that! that's almost 7 times the death toll for september 11th....and 5 times antietam, the bloodiest day in US history.

when i was doing my masters in britain, my brit friends and i would always talk history, and they repeatedly told me how engrained in british national consciousness the somme is still today...is this your experience? most americans have no idea what antietam was.

how many PALS batallions were there in the 36th Ulster?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 10:02am by Starbuck »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 11:12am
Starbuck wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 10:01am:
Gazza wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:00am:

gazza, why wasn't haig drawn and quartered for that unmitigated disaster?

the simple fact of the matter is this: on the first day of the battle alone, the british army lost 60,000 men....with just short of 20,000 KIA. think about that! that's almost 7 times the death toll for september 11th....and 5 times antietam, the bloodiest day in US history.

when i was doing my masters in britain, my brit friends and i would always talk history, and they repeatedly told me how engrained in british national consciousness the somme is still today...is this your experience? most americans have no idea what antietam was.

how many PALS batallions were there in the 36th Ulster?

it wasnt a PALS battalion but a regular division, I supose.

The Somme is still widely commemorated in Ulster every year (1st July), even more so than in the rest of the UK because of the disproportionally high loss of life compared to other areas of the country - so yes, its a day of huge significance where I live.   Oddly enough, theres been more of a revival in this sort of thing in recent years.

A lot of people I know still make the trip to France for memorial services EVERY year to honour their ancestors. A lot of the streets near where I live are named after the battles fought around that time - Ypres, Passchendaele, Bapaume, Thiepval, Somme, etc. Unfortunately there's also a couple of streets nearby named after Earl Haig, but I try to draw a discreet veil over THAT one.

Its also been commemorated more in recent years in the Republic (thanks to a change in the political climate) as several thousand volunteers from there also served the British Army and were killed/wounded in that and other battles in WW1. 

Personally, I'd classify it as the most historically significant event in my country of the last century - thats even taking into account WW2 where we were bombed by the Luftwaffe and the 'troubles' which ran for over 25 years. 3,500 were killed in the Troubles. At the Somme we had 5,000 casualties (half of them killed) in the first two days. A lot for a tiny area of 1.5 million people.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:42pm
As a child i had the privilege of spending many hours with my Great Uncle George, who was a Somme veteran.
   He was a dignified, proud, elderly gentleman, who only talked about his experiences, if asked.
     My most powerful and poignant memory of him, is , whatever the time of year, he always wore sandals.
  A legacy of trenchfoot.

Although we studied WW1 and The Somme/Ypres/Pachendalles at school, it was nothing compared to hearing his first hand accounts, of the mud, rats, gas and slaughter, firsthand.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:48pm
Ade wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:42pm:
Although we studied WW1 and The Somme/Ypres/Pachendalles at school, it was nothing compared to hearing his first hand accounts, of the mud, rats, gas and slaughter, firsthand.

with the death of Harry Patch, sadly, no one will ever get to have that experience again.

Ade, are you British?

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:52pm
yep, London, England.  really?

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:53pm
strangely enough, the UK had twice the number of war dead in WWI than they did in WWII. that is a heck of a statistic!

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #40 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 4:16am
Profiles of the last 3 surviving WW1 veterans :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8171977.stm

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #41 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:36pm

By JOHN F. BURNS and ALAN COWELL
Published: August 6, 2009
WELLS, England — To the strains of the “Last Post,” and in the presence of soldiers from armies that had fought as both friend and foe, the funeral was held here Thursday for Harry Patch, the last British survivor of World War I

Born in June 1898, Mr. Patch died last month at the age of 111 at a nursing home in this southwestern cathedral city, where thousands of people lined the streets in densely-packed rows and applauded as his coffin passed by, draped in the red, white and blue Union flag.

Soldiers from Britain, Belgium, France and Germany marched alongside the coffin in a token of Mr. Patch’s increasing desire as he aged for reconciliation both with his own memories of the trenches and with his erstwhile enemies.

“Too many died,” he said, late in life, of the estimated 900,000 Britons killed in the conflict. “War isn’t worth one life.” He called war “the calculated and condoned slaughter of human beings,” Britain’s Press Association news agency said.

“Irrespective of the uniforms we wore,” he said, according to the BBC, “we were all victims.” His funeral came as British troops took record casualties alongside American, NATO and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.

In a show of changed times, Daniel Eichhorn and Michael Schmidt, both lance corporals from the Germany Defense Ministry guard force, marched behind the casket in light gray dress uniform. A German diplomat, Eckhard Lübkemeier, offered a New Testament reading that spoke of Christ’s “message of reconciliation.” French and Belgian diplomats also spoke at the ceremony.

In drizzling rain outside the cathedral, around 2,500 people watched the service on a giant screen, applauding as the casket was driven away for private burial. “We feel very strongly that the children should remember the First and Second World Wars — what their grandparents lived through, what they did for us and what they made possible for us to do,” said Teresa Gilbey, a 37-year-old teacher.

Mr. Patch had been a machine-gunner, drafted into the British army in 1916 to fight in one of the bloodiest battles of the war at Passchendaele near the Belgian town of Ypres in 1917.

The cathedral bells pealed 111 times Thursday to mark the passing of his funeral cortège from the nursing home where he died on July 25. He was to be buried at a private ceremony later on Thursday after a formal service in the Cathedral Church of St. Andrew and Wells, built between 1175 and 1490 as a masterpiece of Gothic architecture.

Although managed by the British Ministry of Defense, the service was designed by Mr. Patch’s friends and supporters to minimize military aspects. Even ceremonial weapons were barred.

Just a week before Mr. Patch died, the only other living Briton who served on the Western Front, Henry Allingham, died at the age of 113, and Mr. Patch briefly became Britain’s oldest warrior. The Defense Ministry in London called him “the last British survivor of the First World War” although another British-born survivor, Claude Choules, 108, who served in the Royal Navy, lives in Australia.

The congregation in the cathedral joined in the hymn “O God, Our Help in Ages Past.” A lone chorister sang the folk song “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?,” whose lyrics were the antiwar anthem of a much later generation in the 1960s.

Mr. Patch fought for three months at Passchendaele until a German shell exploded over the heads of his machine-gun crew in September 1917, killing three of his closest friends. He was badly wounded and sent home.

After the war, Mr. Patch returned to his job as an apprentice plumber and, like many other survivors constrained by Britain’s “stiff upper lip” culture, avoided speaking publicly about the war for eight decades. He said he never killed anybody during the fighting, recalling how he shot a German soldier advancing on him but aimed for the hand and leg to avoid a fatal shot.

Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt, the Chief of the General Staff, said at the service, “We have lost our last living link to the fighting in the trenches of the West Front and a member of a generation that stood firm in the face of extraordinary adversity and unimaginable suffering,” according to an advance text of his remarks provided by the Defense Ministry. “But today above all else, we give thanks for the life of a brave and inspirational man whose message of reconciliation and peace has reached and touched so many.”

Mr. Patch’s reticence about the war changed in 2002 when he returned to Belgium for the first time since the conflict. In 2004, he met and shook hands with Charles Küntz, a former German soldier from the same era. In 2007, he published a memoir, “The Last Fighting Tommy,” using the nickname of British soldiers in World War I.

Along with two other of the oldest veterans, Mr. Allingham and William Stone, he laid a wreath last year in London at the memorial commemorating the armistice that ended what President Woodrow Wilson had called “a war to end all wars” on November 11, 1918.

The royal family was represented at the funeral by the Duchess of Cornwall, formerly Camilla Parker-Bowles, the second wife of Prince Charles.

John F. Burns reported from Wells, England, and Alan Cowell from London

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)