Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New to the board/help finding Ladies & Gents DVD? (Read 5,015 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: New to the board/help finding Ladies & Gents D
Reply #25 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:05pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:35pm:
hey not to distract from the joking - but I imagine a few or you here are Dylan fans am I correct?  I'm going to see him in about a week.  1st time, long time fan though.  Pretty excited about it

Their is an ongoing Dylan thread here you can follow. Between him and Springsteen and Joey's couch pictures,it's the only thing that keeps this place going these days.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New Jersey
Reply #26 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:08pm
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:57pm:
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:54pm:
what Stones news?

You know, your typical bad boy Rollin Stones stuff like Cricket matches, fishing, equestrian events and attending charity art auctions.

sounds like 4 different opportunities for merchandizing, you should find a way to make some profit off those before Rollingstones.com does

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:10pm
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 1:10am:
 Specifically looking for copies of Ladies & Gentlemen, Let's Spend the Night Together or anything else (preferably DVD)

I recommend the new Black Crowes "Warpaint Live" DVD

Some Pickle Magazine gave it 4 (out of 5) Wolfies!!!

smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health   What a post Ronnie!!!!!

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:10pm:
 Specifically looking for copies of Ladies & Gentlemen, Let's Spend the Night Together or anything else (preferably DVD)

smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health   What a post Ronnie!!!!!

way ahead of ya

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #29 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:13pm
actually I caught the first show of that run where they played Warpaint front to back last year in NJ, plus a couple other shows (the 2 acoustic shows at Town Hall were the best)

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:13pm
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:11pm:
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:10pm:

smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health  smoking more weed is good for your health   What a post Ronnie!!!!!

way ahead of ya

You're gonna do just fine here.

Welcome to the Board Brendan D!!

:smile

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:15pm
Hang in there Brendan--

Some kind soul around here will eventually get back on topic and help you find L&G.

I thought I had it somewhere.....I'll check again.

SV

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #32 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:20pm
How did you feel about the DVD Sway?  The CD seemed like the worst cash-in of Crowes history but I thought the video was pretty enjoyable - taking into consideration that I'm all Warpainted-out from seeing Whoa Mule one too many times last year.  Feels like they need a new album now even worse than they did between '05 and '07 (and yes I know all about Before the Frost coming out soon)

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:24pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:15pm:
Hang in there Brendan--

Some kind soul around here will eventually get back on topic and help you find L&G.

I thought I had it somewhere.....I'll check again.

SV

Appreciate it... I've been a fan way to long to not have a copy of this.  Watched a clip on Youtube last night and said to myself I need this on DVD so I can play it LOUD.

Hey by the way didn't they have a TV broadcast or something from one of the Voodoo Lounge shows?  Not the Miami one - I used to have that on VHS - it might've been Giants Stadium.  Either way its more to add to my wishlist

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:27pm
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:20pm:
How did you feel about the DVD Sway?  The CD seemed like the worst cash-in of Crowes history but I thought the video was pretty enjoyable - taking into consideration that I'm all Warpainted-out from seeing Whoa Mule one too many times last year.  Feels like they need a new album now even worse than they did between '05 and '07 (and yes I know all about Before the Frost coming out soon)

I liked WarPaint. It had a nice retro sound that I expect from The Crowes.

I agree about Who Mule - or worse - Gold In Them Hills - as being dreadful momentum killers live. Just sucked the life out of the crowd every time.

Unfortunately a lot of the new stuff coming out on Frost is even snoozier.

But back to the video... I love it. Great performance.

And its shot well. Which is HUGE improvement from the Freak & Roll DVD which was shot so flat and with that awful bright Chineese restaurant lighting (plus the embarrassing Spinal Tap/Song Remains The Same mindless footage of them taking hikes).

The new DVD looks and feels like a Crowes show. And they wail. Four Wolfies!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:29pm
This Black Crowes shit has got to stop.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #36 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:29pm
Some Guy wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:59pm:
what Stones news?

You know, your typical bad boy Rollin Stones stuff like Cricket matches, fishing, equestrian events and attending charity art auctions.

Do not look at the clouds of tomorrow thru the 20 year old russian cocktail waitresses of today.

damn fine one liner.

this brendan...shades of red hot poker?

could also be a bon jovi fan in disguise.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #37 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:36pm
Starbuck wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:29pm:
Some Guy wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:59pm:
what Stones news?

Do not look at the clouds of tomorrow thru the 20 year old russian cocktail waitresses of today.

damn fine one liner.

glencar would of been jealous

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #38 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:45pm
Some Guy wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:36pm:
glencar would of been jealous

actually, it would be "would have been jealous".

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #39 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:45pm
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:27pm:
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:20pm:
How did you feel about the DVD Sway?  The CD seemed like the worst cash-in of Crowes history but I thought the video was pretty enjoyable - taking into consideration that I'm all Warpainted-out from seeing Whoa Mule one too many times last year.  Feels like they need a new album now even worse than they did between '05 and '07 (and yes I know all about Before the Frost coming out soon)

I liked WarPaint. It had a nice retro sound that I expect from The Crowes.

I agree about Who Mule - or worse - Gold In Them Hills - as being dreadful momentum killers live. Just sucked the life out of the crowd every time.

Unfortunately a lot of the new stuff coming out on Frost is even snoozier.

But back to the video... I love it. Great performance.

And its shot well. Which is HUGE improvement from the Freak & Roll DVD which was shot so flat and with that awful bright Chineese restaurant lighting (plus the embarrassing Spinal Tap/Song Remains The Same mindless footage of them taking hikes).

The new DVD looks and feels like a Crowes show. And they wail. Four Wolfies!

I dig Warpaint too - to me it sounds like Shake Your Money Maker as made by a band who's spent a lot of time on the road by their early 40's - perfectly appropriate.  And I like the fact that it represents all the different styles that I saw the band take on in the 3 years of live shows leading up to it - Movin On Down the Line reminds me of the Tower Theater show I caught when they played Fearless by Pink Floyd and overall more on the psychedelic side, Walk Believer Walk is the kind of hard blues they focused on when I saw them in Central Park on my birthday a couple years ago, and several cuts from the rest of the album have that jammy Allman-Bros style that reminds me of when I caught them doing Waiting Guilty in Holmdel NJ when they were touring the sheds.  The only thing missing is a little gospel vide a la She Gave Good Sunflower (which is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of their Easter Sunday show in the Hammerstein comeback run) but I can forgive it and trying to recreate or top that song would probably be a useless attempt anyway.  So as you can see I've got a lot of fond memories of seeing this band live and I think Warpaint sums up the band for its time and place as good as any other studio record they've done.  I even like Whoa Mule & There's Gold in Them Hills - but you are right, they are a total buzzkill live.  I caught a show last fall where they played I think Whoa Mule, Miracle to Me, My Hearts Killing Me (which IMO is useless without the fiddle part), and Scnding (because you can't spell this song without the letters "E" and "D") almost BACK TO BACK.  I don't really have anything against any of these songs on the albums, and I'm usually the first to want to see some obscurities from The Band Sessions pop up in the setlists, but this show completely lost all energy for me at that point.  The playing was fine, Luther had a couple nice solo moments and I don't even think I need to say anything about the performance of the core members at this point - but that wound up being easily my least favorite show I've ever seen by them

Sorry for the ramble.  Anyway I'm optimistic about the new album.  I have the tape of the first night and there's some songs I thought were really cool, some I'm not so sure (we will discuss I Ain't Hiding in a later post) but I can't wait to hear the finished product.  However I may be passing on the shows next time around if they don't pull a 180 with the setlists

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Brendan D,

I was at the Tower show in Philly when they did Fearless. Was there both nights. Was listening to that show last night on my way home from the bar. One of my favorites!

Was also at all the others you mentioned (Central Park blooze night... PNC shed (sucked)... Easter Sunday Service white party at Hammerstein...)

They were on a tear for awhile when they reunited. Esp concerning the set lists. They went heavy Warpaint last year and broke in Luther & Adam. They'll get it going again and mix things up more I'm sure.

I love your Ed quote. Very true. He is missed. The very best IMO. I hope he's well. I've not heard anything about or from him.

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #41 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 5:46pm
dude I loved the PNC show - especially good time for me since I brought a buddy of mine who isn't really into blues/rock n roll and he dug it a lot - especially Neil's Alabama which kinda shocked me.  I picked up the Instant Live after the show and have listened to Waiting Guilty, Black Moon Creeping & Cold Boy Smile many times since.  Dunno how long its been since I listened to the whole CD (probably only 1 time) - we'll have to agree to disagree but that was one of my favorite Crowes shows.  Maybe partly because its one of the only two times I got to see that lineup (my first Crowes show was 01 so I've never scene them with Johnny Colt - and Steve was out for the Hammerstein run so that leaves only the Phillly 05 show).  And Chris was groovin probably the most I've ever seen.  Plus Robert Randolph was one of the better opening acts I could ask for, not really sold on Drive By Truckers though

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #42 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:01pm
and I'm sure the setlists will turn around again.  I was getting hopeful after the Fillmore run in December that they were gonna dust off Bewildered and (was it Exit? the other song they hadn't done in 12 or so years - I forget) maybe revamp them for an album.  I wouldn't be too upset if they gave those songs a shot with Luther so long as the vibe remain intact.  Anyway hopefully they ease up on Warpaint for a while so they don't kill it for me the way radio killed Money Maker, but no doubt they'll be going heavy on the Cabin Fever material for a while.  I think I wanna let that album sink in a bit first - I don't wanna appreciate it any less if they get all mellow with the setlists again, but I'll probably cave in though when the Stone Pony date gets closer

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #43 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:13pm
could also be a bon jovi fan in disguise.
[/quote]

As someone with a taste for good music who happens to live horrifyingly close to Sayreville, NJ (I think that's his actual hometown I'm not sure) that's a bit of a sore subject for me

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:33pm
http://www.marsmusik.net/Stoneslist.html#STONES_DVDS

http://www.marsmusik.net/Stoneslist.html

try these....
it shouldn't be too hard to find...
but if you get a chance, try to find the cd soundtrack and listen as you watch the dvd....
because the film's sound quality doesn't do it justice.....

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #45 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:37pm
The Reel edition is a good one...with extras...
also, CS blues might be an interesting addition...also with extras..
you think this is tough....the internet has made things so much more accessable.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #46 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:22pm
BrendanD wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:35pm:
hey not to distract from the joking - but I imagine a few or you here are Dylan fans am I correct?  I'm going to see him in about a week.  1st time, long time fan though.  Pretty excited about it

These posts are to be taken seriously.
We've had years honing our posting skills.
We are trained professionals.
I'd like to think you've now come to understand
this is not any regular message board you've decided
to post upon.
For this is Rocks Off.
The Greatest Message Board known to Man.
Dedicated to the Worlds Greatest Rock N Roll Band.

Good luck in your hunting of L & G.
I attended the premiere of this in Bahstun in 1974
After having seen the live version of this tour 7/19/72
This was a mere 38 years & 361 days ago.
Some people were not even born yet.
I was.
I was there.
I will celebrate Sunday.

Thank you for your continued cooperation & support.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #47 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:08pm
Hello, my name's Brendan.  New here, but have been a Stones fan for about 15 years, which isn't bad as I'm 23 now.  Anyway the main reason I've signed up for this board, apart from getting to discuss my favorite music with all of you, is because I've maxed out my Stones collection as far as official releases go, so I'm looking for some rare/out of print/bootlegs.  Specifically looking for copies of Ladies & Gentlemen, Let's Spend the Night Together or anything else (preferably DVD) along those lines that are being kept locked up in the vaults.  I'm aware there are DVD rips all over youtube, but I've never seen L&G or LSTNT in their entirety so I'd really like to get my own copies of these or any other material I may be overlooking from before they started releasing a DVD or 3 from every tour

I know its kind of a big favor to ask coming from a new face around here, but hopefully someone here is in a good enough mood after spinning their newly remastered copy of Dirty Work to point me in the right direction. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?  Thanks very much

Lets spend the night together just started about five minutes ago on VH1 classic.

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #48 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:34pm
I have the Ladies & Gents DVD and the CD. If you want copies, PM me, I'll do a trade you for something else.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #49 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:55pm
Gee Bitch..aren't you so sweet

I actually forgot what our "newbie" was looking for....

Two pages of RO helpfulness (...shit) and he hung in there

Welcome aboard Brendan!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)