Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet another "celebrity" death (Read 2,298 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Yet another "celebrity" death
Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Could the ShamWow! guy be next ?

TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at home

From the Associated Press
9:46 AM PDT, June 28, 2009
Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead this morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, says the family doesn't expect to make any public statements and asked for privacy.

Mays was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.

"Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Yet another "celebrity" death
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Could the ShamWow! guy be next ...Let's hope so. Ok just kidding. I just saw the thing about Billy Mays. What it didn't say in your article is that he was on a plane that had a rough landing earlier on the day and was hit on the head by falling debris inside of the plane. Maybe that something to do with it.....Or maybe somenody had Billy Mays in their Dead Pool and just offed him. Watch out shamwow guy. Shocked

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:37pm

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:18pm
  no more of those annoying commercials...i couldn't turn down the tv fast enough we he came on

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:19pm

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:51pm
he was just on tonight show pitching his show...

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Gale Storm, perky star of 1950s TV, dies at 87

By BOB THOMAS Associated Press Writer
06/28/2009 01:22:09

LOS ANGELES—Gale Storm, whose wholesome appearance and perky personality made her one of early television's biggest stars on "My Little Margie" and "The Gale Storm Show," has died at age 87.

Storm, who had been in failing health in recent years, died Saturday at a convalescent hospital in Danville, said her son, Peter Bonnell.

Before landing the starring role in "My Little Margie" in 1952, Storm appeared in numerous B movies opposite such stars as Roy Rogers, Eddie Albert and Jackie Cooper. After her last TV series, "The Gale Storm Show," ended in 1960 she went on to a successful singing career while continuing to make occasional TV appearances.

Storm was a Texas high schooler named Josephine Owaissa Cottle when she entered a talent contest for a radio show called "Gateway to Hollywood" in 1940. She was brought to Los Angeles for the finals, where her wholesome vivacity won over the radio audience and she was awarded a movie contract.

The contest's male winner was a lanky would-be actor named Lee Bonnell, who would later become her husband.

Given the quirky name Gale Storm, she went from contracts with RKO to Monogram to Universal, appearing in such low-budget films as "Where Are Your Children?" with Cooper and "Tom Brown's School Days" with Freddie Bartholomew.

She was often cast in westerns as the girl the cowboy left behind, and appeared in such B-movie oaters as "The Dude Goes West" with Albert, "The Kid from Texas" with
Audie Murphy and "The Texas Rangers" with George Montgomery.
"I was really scared of horses," she admitted in 2000. "I only rode them because that's what you had to do."

She appeared in three Republic westerns with Rogers and recalled that his horse Trigger did what he could to cause her trouble. As she would smile and ride alongside Rogers while the king of the cowboys crooned a song, Trigger (out of camera range) would lean over and bite her horse's neck.

With her movie roles diminishing in the early 1950s, Storm followed the path of many fading movie stars of the day and moved on to television.

"My Little Margie" debuted on CBS as a summer replacement for "I Love Lucy" in 1952. It quickly became an audience favorite and moved to its own slot on NBC that fall.

The premise was standard sitcom fare: Charles Farrell was a business executive and eligible widower, Storm was his busybody daughter who protected him from predatory women.

The year after "My Little Margie" ended its 126-episode run in 1955, she moved on to "The Gale Storm Show" (also known as "Oh! Susanna") which lasted until 1960. This time she played Susanna Pomeroy, a trouble-making social director on a luxury liner.

Storm, who had taken vocal lessons, sang on her second series, and three of her records became best sellers: "I Hear You Knocking," "Teenage Prayer" and "Dark Moon."

She appeared only sporadically on TV after "The Gale Storm Show," guest starring on such programs as "Burke's Law," "The Love Boat" and "Murder, She Wrote."

She appeared in numerous musicals, however, including Gian Carlo Menotti's "The Old Maid and the Thief" at the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Other stage credits included "Unsinkable Molly Brown" (as the title character), "South Pacific" and "Finian's Rainbow."

Although Storm had not acted in recent years, Peter Bonnell said his mother enjoyed keeping in touch with fans and had known many of them for years.

Her fans were surprised to read in her 1980 autobiography, "I Ain't Down Yet," that she was an alcoholic.

"I had hidden it socially, never drank before a performance," she said. After being treated in three hospitals, she found one that helped her break the habit. On her Web site, she credited Bonnell, her husband of 45 years, with helping her survive that dark period.

Born April 5, 1922, in Bloomington, Texas, Storm was only 13 months old when her father died. Her mother supported five children by taking in sewing.

Storm's first husband died in 1987, and the following year she married former TV executive Paul Masterson. He died in 1996.

Storm and Bonnell had three sons, Phillip, Peter and Paul, and a daughter, Susanna. Storm is survived by her children, eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are pending.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2009 at 7:04pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Durn. I'm old enough to REMEMBER "My Little Margie". Gale Storm was the same age as my Mom is now..

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:22am
Michael Martin, Subway Graffiti Artist Iz the Wiz, Is Dead at 50

WILLIAM GRIMES
Published: June 29, 2009
NYT

In the 1970s and ’80s, chances were good that anyone traveling the New York subways rode at least once in a car emblazoned with “Iz the Wiz.” Cryptic but euphonious, often abbreviated to the ultraminimal Iz, the signature could be seen all over the subway system: fat capital letters spray-painted on a door, below a window, across an entire car or even along the full length of a train.

Iz the Wiz was a legend among graffiti artists, by almost all accounts “the longest-reigning all-city king in N.Y.C. history,” as the graffiti Web site at149st.com puts it. In other words, Iz put his name, or tag, on subway cars running on every line in the system more times than any other artist.

Michael Martin — Iz the Wiz — died on June 17 in Spring Hill, Fla., where he had moved a few years ago. He was 50. The cause was a heart attack, said Ed Walker, who is working on a biography and documentary of Iz the Wiz.

“Look at any movie shot on location in New York from the late 1970s to the early 1980s, and you will very likely see an Iz tag,” Mr. Walker said. “He told me once that in 1982 he went out every night and did at least a hundred throw-ups” — letters filled in quickly with a thin layer of color. “People can’t fathom it.”

Not everyone was appreciative. His career put him on the wrong side of the law — he was issued summonses on several occasions — and of New Yorkers who regarded graffiti as vandalism, not art. But he was a hero to generations of taggers. Mr. Martin started out spraying graffiti on walls and buildings when he was 14, using the tags Scat or FCN, for French Canadian National, although he was not Canadian. He soon graduated to subway cars, specializing in the A line, the longest in the New York subway system. He painted his first cars with the tag Ike — his nickname, Mike, minus the first letter.

In 1975, in the 68th Street Station of the Lexington Avenue line, he saw a poster for the Broadway play “The Wiz” with the slogan, “The Wiz Is a Wow.” It had a certain ring. “He said, ‘If the Wiz is a Wow, why can’t Iz be the Wiz?’ ” his friend and fellow graffiti artist SAR (real name, Charles Sar) recalled in a telephone interview last week.

With the graffiti artist Vinny, Mr. Martin mounted an intensive throw-up campaign on the A line. In the late 1970s he branched out to other lines, spray-painting top-to-bottoms (graffiti displays extending from the top of a train to the bottom), burners (complicated works intended to dazzle the competition) and fully realized scenes, like his homage to John Lennon, painted after Lennon was shot to death in 1980. It was a two-car scene with a portrait of Lennon and a graveyard filled with tombstones.

“He was an artist, but also a bomber, recognized as a person who made himself seen by everybody,” said the photographer Henry Chalfant, using the graffiti term for a prolific artist. “At the same time he appreciated the aesthetic side of it. He didn’t do wild style” — complex, interlocking letters — “he had a simple, readable style with great color and interesting forms within the lettering itself.”

With the photographer Martha Cooper, Mr. Chalfant published “Subway Art” (1984), recently reissued by Chronicle Books, and made the documentary film “Style Wars” (1983), which included Mr. Martin in its portraits of graffiti and hip-hop artists. He also appeared in the role of a transit police detective in the cult 1983 film “Wild Style.”

Mr. Martin was born in Manhattan and lived in a succession of foster homes after his mother was imprisoned for burglary. He did not know his father. He grew up in Ozone Park, Queens, and as a teenager lived in Covenant House on the Lower East Side.

Like many others, he found a community in the graffiti movement. Early on he worked with artists like Vinny, Epic 1&2, and Evil 13. Later he painted with many of the top crews, or graffiti collectives, in New York, including the Odd Partners, the Crew and the Three Yard Boys. At one point he was president of the Master Blasters and the Queens chapter of the Prisoners of Graffiti.

When the graffiti artist Spar One, interviewing Mr. Martin for at149st.com in 1995, asked how many complete cars he had decorated (“You mean like burner top-to-bottom jammies?” he asked), he said: “Oh, I don’t know, I never counted. But I know in the years ’81 to ’82 I did no less than 25.” Mr. Martin often added snippets from classic rock lyrics to his tags, like “whole lotta love” or “welcome to the machine,” which became the informal titles for his more famous works.

The displays enjoyed surprising longevity in the days before the Metropolitan Transportation Authority began cracking down on graffiti. Elaborately painted cars could run for months or even years. Artists would often gather at certain stations to watch their work and keep an eye on the competition, much like their counterparts did in 15th-century Florence.

Mr. Martin withdrew from the scene in the mid-1980s. He managed a grocery store briefly, then began using drugs heavily. A marriage in the late 1980s ended in divorce. He is survived by a brother, Peter Poston of Spring Hill, and a sister, Evelyn Poston of East Stroudsburg, Pa.

In the 1990s Mr. Martin jumped back into graffiti, painting cars, but also taking part in the legal graffiti movement, expressing himself on walls set aside for the purpose. He was one of the first artists to work on the Phun Phactory, a 200,000-square-foot industrial building in Long Island City, Queens, that artists began covering with graffiti in 1993. It is now known as the 5 Pointz Aerosol Art Center, or the Institute of Higher Burnin’.

Mr. Martin learned he had kidney failure in 1996, which he assumed was a result of working with aerosol paint, and for the rest of his life he was on dialysis. His financial situation was dire. “He never made the connections he needed to make to be appreciated in the art world,” Mr. Sar said.

Iz the Wiz sought fame, and found, it, but not on gallery walls. His work appeared on the old dusty brown subway cars known as coal mines, and their replacements, called ding dongs for the bell tone that chimes when the doors close. Painting one of those, end to end, Mr. Martin once said, “was like sex in a can.”

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:55am
I just heard Fred Travalena died this weekend as well. Damn their dropping like flys. Although it's a bit of a stretch calling him a celebrity Shit!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:29pm
Gale Storm AND Billy Mays in the same week? RIP both...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:59pm
as a joke every Christmas, my brother sends our relatives Mighty Putty.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:59pm
Mighty Putty?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Quote:
Mighty Putty?

you obviously havent seen Billy Mays late night infomercials

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:06pm
No, I hated the screaming voice. That Shamwow guy was kinda funny until he bit that ho.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:07pm
marijuana is a gateway drug

it leads to buying stupid shit off of latenight infomercials

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:09pm
I saw a really skeavy guy selling some sort of medication to either make you shit or stop amking you shit. I couldn't keep watching & now I can't remember.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:12pm
Quote:
I saw a really skeavy guy selling some sort of medication to either make you shit or stop amking you shit. I couldn't keep watching & now I can't remember.

Joey is an entrepreneur!!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:17pm
Hmm, possibly...In This Economy, one does what one has to...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:26pm
Quote:
Hmm, possibly...In This Economy, one does what one has to...

the say do what you know....

Joey knows poop.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:27pm
I fear joey's knowledge.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:39pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:55am:
I just heard Fred Travalena died this weekend as well. Damn their dropping like flys. Although it's a bit of a stretch calling him a celebrity Shit!

He was the BEST, IMHO. {Impressionist, that is}. Just fantastic. I hated reading about this earlier today. Sad:(

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #22 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Quote:
Mighty Putty?

As seen on TV !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2bMdH1iPY

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Sioux wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:39pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:55am:

He was the BEST, IMHO. {Impressionist, that is}. Just fantastic. I hated reading about this earlier today. Sad:(

Yeah I remember watching him when I was a kid on Match Game.He could be pretty funny.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:00pm
10 bucks says his wife is going to sue the airline that blew a tire that caused his not felling well before he went to bed and died.

piss off

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)