Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ed McMahon Dead (massive Joey content) (Read 2,094 times)
Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Ed McMahon Dead (massive Joey content)
Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ed McMahon (left) shook hands with host Johnny Carson during the final taping of "The Tonight Show" on May 22, 1992. McMahon died today at age 86.

By Mark Feeney, Globe Staff

Ed McMahon, whose nearly three decades as Johnny Carson’s sidekick on “The Tonight Show” and innumerable appearances as television pitchman and master of ceremonies made him one of the medium’s most ubiquitous figures, died today. He was 86.

Publicist Howard Bragman told the Associated Press that Mr. McMahon died at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center surrounded by his family. Bragman didn't give a cause of death, saying only that the entertainer had a "multitude of health problems the last few months."

“My talent is making it seem I have no talent,” Mr. McMahon once wrote. “It took me years of hard work to convince an audience that I wasn’t working.”

Implacably genial, Mr. McMahon’s persona was one of abundant bonhomie and reputed bibulousness. His booming voice made him a natural announcer, and his even more booming laugh made him a natural straight man.

“If I could fake that much laughter, I’d be the finest actor in the world,” Mr. McMahon once said. “I thought Johnny Carson was very funny.”

Carson and Mr. McMahon were a match made in late-night heaven. Where Carson was slight, coiled, preternaturally quick, Mr. McMahon was oversized (6 feet 4 inches tall, and usually well over 200 pounds) and the soul of unhurried amiability.

His trademark response of “Hi-yo!” to a particularly racy Carson line was a boys-will-be-boys battle cry, and his nightly introduction of Carson, “Heeeere’s Johnny!,” became one of the best-known catchphrases in popular culture. When Jack Nicholson’s homicidal maniac in the 1980 film “The Shining” used it to announce an ax-wielding assault, everyone in the audience got the joke.

Getting the joke was fine, but Mr. McMahon’s fonder wish was that everyone in the audience buy the product. Among the companies he was associated with as spokesman were Budweiser, Alpo (he claimed to have served it to some 4,000 dogs on camera), and American Family Publishers’ sweepstakes. Indeed, the words most associated with Mr. McMahon might not have come from “The Tonight Show” but were instead the sweepstakes’ come-on, “You may have already won $10 million!”

A series of financial and medical setbacks left Mr. McMahon flirting with bankruptcy last year, which he averted with the sale of his house.

Mr. McMahon had few if any peers as a pitchman. By his estimate, he did more than 60,000 commercials on radio and television. “Of all the things I am, most of all I’m a salesman,” he declared in his 1998 memoir, “For Laughing Out Loud.” “I’ve always said with great pride, if I can hold it up or point to it, I can sell it.”

Mr. McMahon, who was born in Detroit on March 6, 1923, came by that talent as a birthright. His father, Edward Leo Peter McMahon Sr., was at various times a traveling salesman, entrepreneur, charity fund raiser, and sideshow operator. The one professional constant was movement. By the time he was 5, Mr. McMahon and his mother, Eleanor (Russell) McMahon, had accompanied his father to some 40 states.

The closest thing Mr. McMahon had to a home was Lowell, where his paternal grandparents lived. He spent summers there, as well as attending a year of junior high school and his final two years of high school.

While still in school, Mr. McMahon worked as a bingo caller. His dream, though, was to be a radio announcer. He took elocution classes at Emerson College and got a job on Lowell’s WLLH. As part of the Navy’s V-5 program, Mr. McMahon then enrolled at Boston College, where he was freshman class president. He served as a Marine flight instructor in Florida during World War II.

Rather than returning to BC, he enrolled at Catholic University in Washington, D.C., because he could major in speech and drama there.

Upon graduation, Mr. McMahon hosted several television programs in Philadelphia. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War, flying 85 combat missions in an artillery-spotting plane.

Back in Philadelphia, Mr. McMahon resumed his television career and began commuting to New York to do commercials. In 1957, he was offered the job of announcer for a daytime game show called “Who Do You Trust?” The host was Carson.

Mr. McMahon later described his introduction to Carson as “about as exciting as watching a traffic light change.” Yet it led to television history. The next five years amounted to a giant dress rehearsal for “The Tonight Show,” with Carson and Mr. McMahon perfecting their onscreen chemistry.

“We developed,” Carson later wrote, “a unique relationship — similar to that which married couples often experience — an unspoken method of communication.... By a look a pause, body language, or tone of voice we could tell each other the direction to go.”

“My role on the show was never strictly defined,” Mr. McMahon said of his “Tonight Show” years. “I did what had to be done when it had to be done. I was there when he needed me, and when he didn’t I moved down the couch and kept quiet.”

Over the years, Mr. McMahon also performed in a nightclub act, hosted television quiz shows, presented compilations of television bloopers and practical jokes, took on the occasional film or stage role, and assisted Jerry Lewis with his annual muscular dystrophy telethon.

The best-known of these ancillary activities was “Star Search,” a syndicated television talent show that ran from 1983-1995. Among the then-unknown performers who appeared on the show were Rosie O’Donnell, Martin Lawrence, Britney Spears, and Drew Carey.

“I am one of the very fortunate people who grew up to do exactly what I spent my whole childhood dreaming of doing,” Mr. McMahon once wrote, “even if no one is quite sure exactly what it is that I do.”

Mr. McMahon leaves his wife, Pamela (Hurn); a stepson, Lex; from his first marriage, he leaves two daughters, Claudia and Linda, and son, Jeffrey (another son, Michael, died in 1995); from his second marriage, to Victoria (Valentine), he leaves a daughter, Katherine Mary, and X grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/06/ed_mcmahon_amia.html

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Ed McMahon Dead (massive Joey content)
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:23am

You JUST beat me to it Nellcote !!!!!!

RIP Ed !!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528407,00.html

Legendary Television Host and Comedian Ed McMahon Dead at 86
Tuesday , June 23, 2009

" Ed McMahon, the loyal "Tonight Show" sidekick who bolstered boss Johnny Carson with guffaws and later carved out his own niche as the host of "Star Search," has died at a Los Angeles hospital. He was 86.

According to his publicist Howard Bragman, the former "Tonight Show" announcer passed away at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in California this morning.

Earlier this year, the "Star Search" host was in and out of the hospital for pneumonia and other medical issues, according to sources close to him.

While Bragman did not give a cause of death, he said McMahon had "a multitude of health problems the last few months."

McMahon had bone cancer, among other illnesses, according to a person close to the entertainer, and had been hospitalized for several weeks. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

FAST FACTS: Ed McMahon's Life and Career

Best known for his famous catchphrase "Heeeeeere's Johnny," said every night when Johnny Carson took the stage, McMahon spent three decades as the legendary comedian's sidekick.

McMahon and Carson had worked together for nearly five years on the game show "Who Do You Trust?" when Carson took over NBC's late-night show from Jack Paar in October 1962. McMahon played second banana on "Tonight" until Carson retired in 1992.

"You can't imagine hooking up with a guy like Carson," McMahon said an interview with The Associated Press in 1993. "There's the old phrase, hook your wagon to a star. I hitched my wagon to a great star."

McMahon, who never failed to laugh at his Carson's quips, kept his supporting role in perspective.

"It's like a pitcher who has a favorite catcher," he said. "The pitcher gets a little help from the catcher, but the pitcher's got to throw the ball. Well, Johnny Carson had to throw the ball, but I could give him a little help."

The highlight for McMahon came just after the monologue, when he and Carson would chat before the guests took the stage.

"We would just have a free-for-all," he told the AP. "Now to sit there, with one of the brightest, most well-read men I've ever met, the funniest, and just to hold your own in that conversation. ... I loved that."

When Carson died in 2005, McMahon said he was "like a brother to me" and recalled bantering with him on the phone a few months earlier.

"We could have gone on (television) that night and done a 'Carnac' skit. We were that crisp and hot."

His medical and financial problems kept him in the headlines in his last years. It was reported in June 2008 that he was facing possible foreclosure on his Beverly Hills home.

By year's end, a deal was worked out allowing him to stay in his home, but legal action involving other alleged debts continued.

Among those who had stepped up with offers of help was Donald Trump.

"When I was at the Wharton School of Business I'd watch him every night," Trump told the Los Angeles Times in August. "How could this happen?"

McMahon even spoofed his own problems with a spot that aired during the 2009 Super Bowl promoting a cash-for-gold business. Pairing up with rap artist MC Hammer, he explained how easy it is to turn gold items into cash, jokingly saying "Goodbye, old friend" to a gold toilet and rolling out a convincing "H-e-e-e-e-e-ere's money!"

McMahon was also a veteran of the United States Marines and served as a fighter pilot during World War II. "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:47am
Kins? Jacky?

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:01am
" Kins? Jacky?  "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:02am
RIP Ed.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:35am
Ed's had some tough times in recent years. He might be better off now. Maybe him and Johnny can do a Tonight Show in heaven...R.I.P. Ed.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:16am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:59am
"  Maybe hime and Johnny can do a Tonight Show in heaven..."

... !!!!

... !!!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:19am
Deepest condolences, Joey.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:20am
Joey wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:59am:
"  Maybe hime and Johnny can do a Tonight Show in heaven..."

... !!!!

... !!!!

Joey,may a camel with weak bowels back up into your cereal bowl....Heyoooo Retarded post

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:25am
" Joey,may a camel with weak bowels back up into your cereal bowl....Heyoooo "

... !!!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:27am
" Deepest condolences, Joey. "

Thanks Gazza .................................

Er , what time will you be arriving at The Brazen Head Friday evening ?!

That is right ... " Acoustic Groove " will be performing live . Clive and Katie are bartending ( ...only two bartenders needed during the summer months -- slow ) .

www.BRAZENHEADPUB.com

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:34am
Him and Johnny were the best, "You are correct sir", "I hold in my hand the last................","You may have already won............"
Rest in Peace Oh Great One.

tonightshow.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:20am
He had a great life and a priceless opprtunity to work with Johnny Carson.

He had some rough times recently.

RIP Ed McMahon.

There was a classic Carson episode with Raquel Welch and a cat.  Ms. Welch asks Carson if he wants to pet her pussy, Carson responds:  "Move your cat, and I will.'
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:22am by Factory Girl »  

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:23am
RIP Ed.

So sorry Kins. I thought of you immediately when I heard this sad news.

LJ.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:37am
RIP Ed

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #15 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:32pm
damn! Sad news....

now who's going to deliver the American Family Publisher Sweepstakes???
you made a grown man cry  you made a grown man cry you made a grown man cry  you made a grown man cry

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 1:51pm

RIP, sir.

Heyooo!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 1:57pm
Factory Girl wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:20am:
There was a classic Carson episode with Raquel Welch and a cat.  Ms. Welch asks Carson if he wants to pet her pussy, Carson responds:  "Move your cat, and I will.'

That's an oft told Carson anecdote.

Never happened though...
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 2:04pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:05pm
RIP Joey...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:05pm
Er, Ed...

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #20 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:09pm
RIP Ed

You are in my thoughts Joey

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #21 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:12pm
" RIP Ed

You are in my thoughts Joey "

Come to Joey ....

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:14pm
Is it crowded in there Joey?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #23 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:22pm
" Is it crowded in there Joey ? "

... !!!!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:45pm
ooo la la!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)