Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Kinks Appreciation thread (NSC) (Read 1,243 times)
Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
The Kinks Appreciation thread (NSC)
Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I don't know how many people loved The Kinks but I sure do, I loved their music in the 60's, not so much later on, I had The Kinks Kontroversy & Greatest Hits albums, plus a great complication that was later known as the Black album, (it was a 2 record set with just The Kinks on it, a black album cover)  I had a mono version) lyrics like A Well Respected Man talked about hypocrites of society, & Mick even said that only he & Ray Davies were some of the ones in rock, writing songs like this about society, like "Mothers Little Helper" social problems.
A lot of the Kinks (Dead End Street/Autumn Almanac/Waterloo Sunset/Sunny Afternoon/Death Of A Clown/Big Black Smoke/Two Sisters/Dedicated Follower Of Fashion/Do You Remember Walter) reminds me of the Sgt. Pepper period, in that he (Davies) wrote about the English way of life, & used classical strings, etc & this was at the same time if not earlier then Sgt. Pepper.
Pete Townshend has praised Ray Davies songwriting too.
All Day & All Of The Night has got to be the raunchiest first rock & Roll song I ever heard, I mean that just totally explodes, maybe not so much now, but in '64, it was really different.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: The Kinks Appreciation thread (NSC)
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:26pm
i like them...celuloid heros is one of my favorite songs from them.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:29pm
Huge fan.

I listen to Village Green a lot. Also Muswell Hillbillies and Powerman.

Saw Ray on his 2006 solo tour. Didn't know any of his new material then, but enjoyed the stories he told and had a great time.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:28am
waterloo sunset.....one of the greatest songs ever!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:34am by mojoman »  

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:29am
Quote:

Are you fucking serious?

I agree with you platter celuloid heroes is just an awesome song . The live version on "ONE FOR THE ROAD" gives me chills when i hear it................

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 5:48am
cabledogg2 wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:29am:
Quote:

Are you fucking serious?

I agree with you platter celuloid heroes is just an awesome song . The live version on "ONE FOR THE ROAD" gives me chills when i hear it................

I just watched that DVD last nght, though the version of Celluloid Heroes is different from the album.  To me, the Kinks are among the top five bands of all time.  Saw them a bunch of times in the 80s and 90s and watched as their DC-area gigs went downward from the Capital Centre to McDonough Arena to some club.  Ray's storyteller show in 1996 which I saw from the front row was, to paraphrase Miles Davis, one of the best times I've ever had with my clothes on.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:24am
I saw the Kinks at Massey hall (Toronto) in the early 70's, they were really good, Ray Davies was drunk, he was a real showman in those days, he was singing the Bone song (your ankle bone is connected to your leg bone,etc) & got everybody to sing You Are my Sunshine, he reminded me of a old English vaudeville performer, he didn't play guitar, just lead singer, the drummer, Mick Avery, was so drunk, that one of the guys lifted his head up by his hair when he was keeled over on the drums, I think that this was just play acting, if he was that drunk, I don't think he'd be able to play like he did, but it was a good show, I think they were touring for the Lola album, that just came out.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:19am
Yeah, the whole drunk thing (like doing "Alcohol" with a beer on his head) was all part of the act, as were the camp show tunes he'd break into from time to time, like Mr Wonderful, Baby Face and the Banana Boat song (ALL of which are bizarrely included on the live portion of their album from 72 Everybody's in Showbiz).   The bone song was often tacked onto the end of Skin and Bone, which was from the previous Muswell Hillbillies.  It must have been at least 71 when you saw them then.  My first show was in the early 80s when they inexplicably started to have success as arena-rockers in the States behind what I consider to have been among their weakest material.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:41am
I own most of the Kinks Pye albums, but must confess - Come Dancing aside - to not knowing any of their post-Lola output.

They lost their way a little hits-wise towards the end of the 60's and when reading on the group, journalists and writers - in the UK, anyway - only seem concerned with their so-called 'classic' period.

Everyone knows You Really Got Me, Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset and these songs seem to be enough for many listeners.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:22am
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:41am:
I own most of the Kinks Pye albums, but must confess - Come Dancing aside - to not knowing any of their post-Lola output.

They lost their way a little hits-wise towards the end of the 60's and when reading on the group, journalists and writers - in the UK, anyway - only seem concerned with their so-called 'classic' period.

Everyone knows You Really Got Me, Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset and these songs seem to be enough for many listeners.

Muswell Hillbillies is a classic.  Preservation Act I has some great songs but the concept it introduces is weak, and the double-album followup Act 2 is inexplicably bad.  Scholboys in Disgrace is a fun little album, and Soap Opera is hilarious, at least for the first side.   Misfits is the strongest disc once they got out of the concept album phase, and their very last one, Phobia, I thought was a worthy return to form, but it was poorly marketed and tanked

IP Logged

CrissCrossMind
Rocks Off Regular

Southside of Chicago Baby ...
Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:46am
the earlier the better ... "dirty old river ... must you keep rolling ... flowing into the night ... people so busy ... make me feel dizzy" ...  :smile :funny Blank Frigging Stare

yonder comes a woman ...

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:48am
I got the Picture Book 6 CD set for Christmas, and it's pretty good, with some nice gems.  I seen Ray twice - second time was all acoustic (he and another guitarist) until the encore, when the openers (Locksley) came out for two full blown rockers.  Both times were amazing, as the songs are really meant for live performance.  Even those from his last two solo albums sound great live, notably "Morphine Song" and "After the Fall."

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:05am
I love The Kinks.  One For TheRoad is an excellent live album. Of course the early Kinks is classic stuff. But I like some of the 80's stuff. Espicially the Sleepwalker and Misfits albums.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:07am

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:36pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:05am:
I love The Kinks.  One For TheRoad is an excellent live album. Of course the early Kinks is classic stuff. But I like some of the 80's stuff. Espicially the Sleepwalker and Misfits albums.

Hate to be a pedantic putz, but Sleepwalker and Misfits were from the late 70s.  Low Budget from 79 was the first one to break big in the US.

One For the Road was big in my life largely because of my age at the time.  It was great for such a criminally overlooked band to finally have some success in the States after 15 years.  The album allowed them to reclaim some of their old songs from the likes of Van Halen and the Jam, introduce some obscure gems (Prince of the Punks, Pressure) few had heard. 

Strangely, the bass drum is huge on the album, intrusively so if you ask me.  Dave Davies is also given free rein to run amok all over the album, though you could say his solo at the start of Celluloid Heroes is one of its high points.  And so no one could forget who was responsible for the proceedings, the name Raymond Douglas Davies appeared 22 times on the back cover of my old cassette.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:39pm
If I were in the audience here I would surely have reacted in much the same way as the woman at about 4:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06oipehWqUg&feature=related
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:43pm by Zack »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 1:06pm
Zack wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:36pm:
[quote author=sweetcharmedlife link=1245541172/0#12 date=1245600321]I love The Kinks.  One For TheRoad is an excellent live album. Of course the early Kinks is classic stuff. But I like some of the 80's stuff. Espicially the Sleepwalker and Misfits albums.

Hate to be a pedantic putz, but Sleepwalker and Misfits were from the late 70s.  Low Budget from 79 was the first one to break big in the US.

quote]

I'm going to change my name to I Stand Corrected. I got my facts learned real good....Not. Duly noted Zack.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:23pm
love them... seen them alot, like Zack did in the 80's... Saw Ray a few years ago in SF...
any band that can rock, like You really got me, do something so heartfellt like Celluloid heros and be so friggin' hysterical... truely one of a kind band.

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:54pm
Obviously, I am a great Kinks fan.  Uncleson being one of my favorite songs off of the Muswell Hill album.

They have made great music throughout their career. Give a listen to Sleepwalker, Misfits, and Low Budget.  I think you'll enjoy those albums.

In addition to being a big Kinks fan, Im a big Stones fan.

Dont care much for The Beatles, except John and George.

By the way, today is Ray Davies sixty-fifth birthday.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:34pm
I've been a Kinks fan since Day One.  I still have my trusty 45's.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:01pm
uncleson wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:54pm:
Obviously, I am a great Kinks fan.  Uncleson being one of my favorite songs off of the Muswell Hill album.

They have made great music throughout their career. Give a listen to Sleepwalker, Misfits, and Low Budget.  I think you'll enjoy those albums.

In addition to being a big Kinks fan, Im a big Stones fan.

Dont care much for The Beatles, except John and George.

By the way, today is Ray Davies sixty-fifth birthday.

uncleson!

so good to see you sitting on this side of the fence!

seems we do a kinks thread around here every month or so. if things slow down on dead end street, you are welcome to stop by for a can of PBR anytime. send my love to holly.

part one of the kinks on "biography"....good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhaF0I3gv0

is there another band that attained the level of success that the kinks did that had such personality conflicts?
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:45pm by Starbuck »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #21 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 6:32am
I love love LOVE the Kinks...all of their stuff, but their output from 1966 to 1972 is especially essential...the albums between Face to Face and Everybody's in Showbiz are spectacular...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:02pm
Are they done?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #23 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:08pm
I have a favorite Kinks memory. They played a bill with foreigner headlining JFK in Philly... It was 1982 or 83 or 84...? During the show, Ray in-between songs, just pointed to a guy up in the top row, halfway back or so, wearing a bright purple shirt, and just said something to the effect, that guys shirt is great... this was acrowd of 65k or so... maybe more... then when the show was over, after alot of encores, Ray brought out his new wife Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders... i think they were dicorced 6 days later... Foreigner sucked, I wanted to leave so bad, but my friends wanted to stay... Kinks blew them away!!!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:25pm

Ray Davies Says Kinks Film In the Works, Reunion Unlikely

6/24/09, 9:38 am EST

The Kinks will be the subject of an upcoming feature-length film directed by music video vet Julien Temple, who also helmed the 2007 doc Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten, frontman Ray Davies told The Independent (via Spinner.) While Davies didn’t say whether the film will be a documentary or a biopic, Temple did tell the Generalist in 2007 that his next project would be a doc on the “You Really Got Me” band called Kinkdom Come. Temple previously directed music videos for the Kinks’ “Come Dancing” and “Don’t Forget To Dance.”

In November 2008, after a series of rumors about the Kinks finally reuniting, Rock Daily reported that the band — Davies, his brother Dave Davies and drummer Mick Avory — had gotten back together to perform music. While that’s still the case, Ray Davies said it’s unlikely the band will officially reunite. “I will continue to play with ex-band members like Mick Avory from time to time. With Dave, a lot of it is psychological. I’ll guide him in, and coerce and nurture him, and when the time is right I suppose I’ll even shout at him again,” Ray Davies said.

Dave Davies, who famously fought with his brother during the band’s run, suffered a stroke in 2004. Ray Davies told the Independent his brother is improving enough that he’s able to drive an automobile again. “I’ll work with Dave, and whatever he can play we’ll create something around it together. We’ll function just fine like that,” Ray said, adding that “I gotta tell you — I miss the Kinks.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)