Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lennon's first wife on life with John (Read 1,695 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Lennon's first wife on life with John
Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:28am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Lennon's first wife on life with John  
June 18,2009
BBC.com

(link for anyone interested in a seeing few pics w/the article)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8105992.stm

John Lennon's first wife Cynthia and son Julian have opened an exhibition of photos, letters and personal mementoes from their life with the late Beatle.

Cynthia met John when they were at art college in Liverpool in 1958, and they married in 1962 after discovering she had become pregnant with Julian.

Cynthia witnessed the Beatles' rise to global fame but the couple divorced in 1968, after Lennon met Yoko Ono.

Items in the exhibition in Liverpool include an electric guitar inscribed with the message "To Julian from Daddy, Christmas 1973", and Paul McCartney's handwritten lyrics for Hey Jude, originally Hey Jules, written for Julian during his parents' split.

Here, Cynthia gives an insight into the John Lennon she knew, her mixed feelings about the "naughty boy", and why she finds another Lennon exhibition run by Yoko Ono offensive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why have you decided to hold this exhibition now?

We've been working on it for about two years. When John died, Julian received nothing in terms of any his treasures. They all went on sale - they were at Christie's and Sotheby's.

Julian has spent a lot - a lot - of money buying back things, beautiful things, that were important to John in our lives, for the family. They've been stuck in a bank vault for too long and we thought, this is cruel, we really should put them on show.

There are postcards, there are photographs, it's a very family orientated exhibition. It's explaining to those who are interested that there was life before John went to America.

You've said many people consigned you to a "brief walk-on part" in John's life - are you trying to set the story straight?

It's not even that. My son said I was treated like a puff of smoke, she doesn't exist. We love each other very dearly, we've gone through a hell of a lot, and we just want to say that we're here, we have no doubts now, we have no angst.

We're not being bitter about anybody, but we just want to state a fact about who we are and what we are, and let the fans enjoy it.

John's story fascinates a lot of people - is the John that the world knows the same John that you knew?

Coming back to Liverpool [to launch the exhibition] and meeting all the old mates that knew John and were part of his life was wonderful.

Even though John was a bit of a naughty boy - I could say a stronger word than that - on the odd occasion, he has so much love surrounding him, whether he's here or not here.

That is something Julian and I are very lucky to have experienced, and that's what we're trying to express.

How would you describe John to someone who didn't know him?

John's personality? He was not to be confronted, let's put it that way. You either loved him or you hated him, and that's still the same now, even though he's not here. You either loved him or you hated him, but you could not ignore him.

Have you deliberately shunned the limelight since your time with John?

I have done a lot of Beatles conventions that a lot of people never knew about. I didn't have any money, so I used to go off and do these conventions and support the Beatles. I would get a pittance of payment.

I would never denigrate any of them, truly, because I think their talent was just magical. And it will go on forever. I've dipped in and out of the limelight, but mainly to earn a living.

Have you avoided the films and books that have included you?

The film about Brian Epstein (The Hours and Times) - absolute load of rubbish. Done in America.

It's a little bit like the Bible. There are so many different ways of looking at this story and so many ways of writing about it. And very few actually live it. And the ones that live it are the ones that say least about it.

How did it feel going back to Liverpool with Julian?

It was the first time the two of us have been in Liverpool together since he was born. He doesn't even know Liverpool but he's got the best Liverpool accent.

I had to learn a Liverpool accent when I was thrown in the deep end at art college, and all the Liverpudlians said I was posh. He's only been in Liverpool for five minutes and he's got the best Liverpool accent.

How did you feel about the exhibition staged by Yoko Ono with the clothes from day John died?

I can't even comment on that because that would never cross my mind. Any exhibition that shows blood-stained glasses and blood-stained clothes has nothing to do with me and I think it's offensive so that's all I can say. I don't understand that, I really don't.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:47am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Re: Lennon's first wife on life with John
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:43am
Interesting article.  I always thought Cynthia had more class in her little finger than Yoko did in her entire body.  John treated Cynthia and Julian very shabbily - he was fortunate his first family have forgiving hearts.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:45am by Ginda »  

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:53am

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:37am
There's no mention of a book she wrote in the late 70's called "A Twist Of Lennon" I read it, the only thing that sticks out in my mind about it is her terrifying account of the LSD trip she took when that dentist friend of George's spiked their coffee with it.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:47am
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:28am:
How did you feel about the exhibition staged by Yoko Ono with the clothes from day John died?

WTF ? Talk about encouraging Chapman wannabes.

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 1:01pm
As a Beatles fanatic it's always irritated and angered me the treatment Cynthia and Julian got from John...he literally abandoned them both overnight.  From all I've read over the years, Paul was *very* nice to both of them during the trauma of John splitting and after (and I'm sure we all know Hey Jude was written by Paul for Julian)...

I've never liked Yoko, and when I heard some weeks ago about her showing John's bloody clothes as an exhibit, I almost puked.  Too bad Chapman's aim wasn't off that night in December 1980...why wouldn't he have taken Yoko out instead of John?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 1:06pm
StonesFanatic wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 1:01pm:
As a Beatles fanatic it's always irritated and angered me the treatment Cynthia and Julian got from John...he literally abandoned them both overnight.  From all I've read over the years, Paul was *very* nice to both of them during the trauma of John splitting and after (and I'm sure we all know Hey Jude was written by Paul for Julian)...

I've never liked Yoko, and when I heard some weeks ago about her showing John's bloody clothes as an exhibit, I almost puked.  Too bad Chapman's aim wasn't off that night in December 1980...why wouldn't he have taken Yoko out instead of John?

he would have to have been a hell of a shot. yoko had gone ahead to check on sean; i believe john was walking by himself as chapman emerged from the shadows. the doorman was the only one around.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Too bad Chapman's aim wasn't off that night in December 1980...why wouldn't he have taken Yoko out instead of John?

That's just wrong.

It's too bad Chapman ever made it to The Dakota...
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:03pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:12pm

he would have to have been a hell of a shot. yoko had gone ahead to check on sean; i believe john was walking by himself as chapman emerged from the shadows. the doorman was the only one around. [/quote]

I don't know where you got that information, I was always under the impression that Yoko was there when John got shot, I looked it up & this is a account of what happened.

http://www.john-lennon.net/whoauthorizedtheassassinationofjohnlennon.htm
John-Lennon.net - Who Authorized The Assassination Of John Lennon? by Mark R. Elsis
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:26pm by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:47pm
" .... yoko had gone ahead to check on sean; i believe john was walking by himself as chapman emerged from the shadows. the doorman was the only one around "

< ----- Many have speculated that John Lennon , having just put the finishing touches on Yoko's ' Walking On Thin Ice  " at the Record Plant  , was planning the evening of his assassination  to take Sean out of the apartment and split.

Yeah, I have heard that too Lil' Buddy ( Little Fiji ) ....guess we will never know .

Jazzy
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:15am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 5:34am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:02pm:
Too bad Chapman's aim wasn't off that night in December 1980...why wouldn't he have taken Yoko out instead of John?

That's just wrong.

It's too bad Chapman ever made it to The Dakota...

I didn't really mean that...but still, Yoko, I believe, deep down, is an evil person.  I really think that.  The way she treated Paul, George, and Ringo, especially after John's death, is just despicable...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:57am
One word for Yoko Ono is ruthless, she knew what she was doing & had complete control over John, she even arranged him to go with their secretary May whatever her name is, & have a affair, when he went on his lost drunken week-end in L.A. that time, she was in contact with the secretary as to what was going on, & when he wanted to go back to her (Yoko) she said no, not yet, a complete control freak, she was evil alright, I think John had the character defect where he needed a woman to dominate him, & she took full advantage of that.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:33am
Heart Of Stone wrote on Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:57am:
One word for Yoko Ono is ruthless, she knew what she was doing & had complete control over John, she even arranged him to go with their secretary May whatever her name is, & have a affair, when he went on his lost drunken week-end in L.A. that time, she was in contact with the secretary as to what was going on, & when he wanted to go back to her (Yoko) she said no, not yet, a complete control freak, she was evil alright, I think John had the character defect where he needed a woman to dominate him, & she took full advantage of that.

Good points, Heart of Stone.  Yoko's greatest treachery was the Two Virgins album cover...

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:59am
Heart Of Stone wrote on Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:57am:

Yep...he had serious "Mommy" issues (even though from all accounts his uncle and aunt gave him a far better upbringing that his "parents" ever could have)...he was also highly misogynistic, except toward Yoko...weird...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:30pm
Didn't he used to physically abuse Cynthia? He seems like a horrid guy(personally) even if he did "luck" into meeting Macca. It's a shame Cynthia had to troll Beatle fan conventions to earn money. At least Mick & Keith haven't shafted their exes.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 7:58pm
Quote:
Didn't he used to physically abuse Cynthia? He seems like a horrid guy(personally) even if he did "luck" into meeting Macca. It's a shame Cynthia had to troll Beatle fan conventions to earn money. At least Mick & Keith haven't shafted their exes.

A horrible guy?  No.  Certainly a horrible husband and father to Cynthia and Julian but also a very talented complicated man capable of great kindness and cruelty.  I loved him as an artist and miss him to this day.  I never cared for Yoko and think she encouraged his abandonment of his first family.

As a former Beatlemaniac I wouldn't cross the street to see Yoko but would be glad to see Cynthia.  I think that's a common feeling among fans who were there at the beginning.  Thelma Pickles was probably lucky he didn't stay with her.

And as far as Mick and Keith shafting?  Seems to me Marsha Hunt had to track Mick down and take him to court to support Karis.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:05pm by Ginda »  

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:10pm
True about Marsha; I'd forgotten about her. But Bianca & Jerry did okay. I was never a Beatlemaniac but I did appreciate some of their stuff. The question is, does a person's private behavior negate whatever artistic merits they have? I'm not sure of the answer myself but I hate seeing Lennon relegated to sainthood when it's clear that he had heavy personal demons & this stuff is fairly well-known.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:42am
A little of topic here, a article from Gibson about a new DVD about Lennon's Toronto '69 concert & his guitars, I left a comment in the help section on here about how do you copy a whole article (that includes paragraphs broken up, I know about highlighting it & drag & drop into a post, but it only copies the first few lines, I'd like to know how to do this so I won't have to leave a web site address, everytime I post a article.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/John-Lennons-Guitars-615/
John Lennon and His Iconic Guitars Live

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 8:22am
Like most people, the photos of the White album and Let It Be sessions with Yoko sitting there next to John in every shot and following him into the bathroom always disgusted me.  I always assumed it was Yoko behind her being attached to him at the hip, but a recent book indicated it was John who insisted she never leave his side.  Maybe she got a bum rap.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #19 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:15am
" Yoko sitting there next to John in every shot and following him into the bathroom always disgusted me.  I always assumed it was Yoko behind her being attached to him at the hip, but a recent book indicated it was John who insisted she never leave his side.  Maybe she got a bum rap. "

Didn't John consider Yoko to be his ' right hand ' or something like that ?!

Still , the guy co -wrote the soundtrack to a generation . And what happened ?!  .. They shot him four times in the back right in front of his apartment building , threw his bleedin' body ( literally ) into a police car , and drove him to hospital where he was pronounced D.O.A.

Frig.

" That Sucks Ronnie "

O'kins ! ™
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:18am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:50pm
Life isn't fair!
It can be cold and cruel sometimes!
But, you have to learn to forgive.  
Just let it go!
I can't recall the exact quote, but "forgiveness is a gift, you give to yourself"

Julian Lennon may not have gotten any material things from his father, but he inherited his genes!  He looks exactly like his father!  He is musically-talented, smart, and funny!  No one can take that away from him!

Futhermore, he has a mother that loves him more than anything in the world and a mother's love is worth more than gold!

P.S. In all fairness, John Lennon had a very difficult childhood and he lost both of his parents while he was still very young.  Most of his issues stemmed from his sad childhood.

He wrote some beautiful music!  We should all focus on that!

May he rest in peace!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:59pm
I join everyone else who decries Yoko's screeching but I've always loved Walking on Thin Ice which is the last thing JL recorded. I own an original copy. When he got shot, I cried for hours. I wanted to go into Central Park to join everyone else but I had other priorities. I even bought Watching The Wheels, which is certainly the sappiest single I ever bought for myself, although I did buy a Rick Springfield single for my sister Jen when she was going through that phase. But beating women is never cool & JL should always be viewed with that in mind.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:11pm
gorda wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:50pm:
Life isn't fair!
It can be cold and cruel sometimes!
But, you have to learn to forgive.  
Just let it go!
I can't recall the exact quote, but "forgiveness is a gift, you give to yourself"

Julian Lennon may not have gotten any material things from his father, but he inherited his genes!  He looks exactly like his father!  He is musically-talented, smart, and funny!  No one can take that away from him!

Futhermore, he has a mother that loves him more than anything in the world and a mother's love is worth more than gold!

P.S. In all fairness, John Lennon had a very difficult childhood and he lost both of his parents while he was still very young.  Most of his issues stemmed from his sad childhood.

He wrote some beautiful music!  We should all focus on that!

May he rest in peace!

Thank you
Very well said.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:12pm by Kilroy »  

h8-mickjohnlennonthanks_irina.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:27pm
A lot of the things said here about John Lennon could be said about Brian Jones. The good and the bad.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 6:33am
Sioux wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:27pm:
A lot of the things said here about John Lennon could be said about Brian Jones. The good and the bad.

Yep...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)