Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
One of the reasons I love this place (NSC) (Read 3,671 times)
FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
One of the reasons I love this place (NSC)
May 27th, 2009 at 7:20am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So here's a little story. Depeche Mode were scheduled to play Athens, I was so excited about it, and then Dave Gahan fell ill and they had to cancel Athens and another 5 gigs.

Here I go, registering in a DM forum (one of the most popular) to talk about any rescheduling, discuss news and the band etc. etc. Well, the situation is quite similar to what we had with Keith's brain surgery a few years back, not much information coming out, rumours flying left and right and a logistics chaos with the postponed gigs, but the thing is, at least then I had Rocks Off and I could trust the news, discuss, even get angry with the rumours, but heck, I was free to do so.

In the DM forum, every second message I post gets deleted  Angry First it contains "Speculations" (which the admin won't allow), then it contains links to newspapers that have speculations, or it contains discussions over speculations or talking about Dave Gahan's health, which is a private matter. Weel, if you can't talk about how this affects the tour of a band you love, what the heck are you supposed to talk about in a forum at a time like this?

And on top of that, people get banned for discussing the above and all the others suck up on the admin. Not to mention that when I try to ask why the heck my posts keep getting deleted, all I get is the admin's power trip and a "i owe you no explanation" attitude. Sucks!

Anyway, just wanted to say again how much I love RO, this censorship-free space on the internet where we can all talk, argue and make up without any crazy axe over our heads threatening to ban or delete us.

And I can love the admins here without feeling I'm sucking up, lol. Love you guys, keep going like this and thanks for giving us a FREE and open space to rave on about our favorite band  Smiley

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: One of the reasons I love this place (NSC)
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009 at 7:25am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2009 at 8:06am
Nice of you to say that, although in fairness there are occasions when if we think that wild speculation which isnt already in the public domain crosses the line of personal privacy, we'll certainly decide against allowing to it to be posted, because you dont want some journalist lifting it and making it worse than it already is.

Two I can think of in recent years were what turned out to be unfounded rumours about Ronnie needing a liver transplant (early 2003) and Keith's head injury being a lot worse than it was reported (May 2006) which simply wouldnt have served any purpose but to alarm people unnecessarily.

One which wasnt unfounded but which we decided to keep off the boards was when Mick went back to London after the Phoenix show in November 2006 to visit his dying father. It wasn't in the papers and there were conflicting stories from the Stones camp every few hours that week as to whether the Vegas show that weekend would go ahead or not. So, we had the dilemma of wanting to respect Mick's privacy but at the same time wanting to advise fans that the show was at risk. In the end, we mailed everyone we knew who was planning to go to Vegas and got them to spread the message to anyone who needed to know that the show was in doubt and the reason for it but on the understanding it was NOT to be mentioned on the forums. Seemed to work out ok, and the show went ahead anyway, even though Joe died that afternoon while Mick was on his way back to the US.

If its already in the papers though its absolutely pointless to pretend it's not there.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009 at 8:07am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009 at 9:09am
Gazza wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 8:06am:
If its already in the papers though its absolutely pointless to pretend it's not there.

Exactly. Privacy is a very serious matter, but it's not like details were posted or anything of that sort. Just rough estimates of how soon the tour can resume, given the situation.

It kind of is a double-edged knife either way: I mean, when one decides to go out front and expose themselves in public, it gets to a point where determining if something is "crossing the line" of privacy or not can be tricky. Like what happened with Mick's dad or when a health issue affects a whole tour etc.  Undecided

FotiniD  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2009 at 9:16am
only one?

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2009 at 9:31am
mojoman wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 9:16am:
only one?

you made a grown man cry

I said "one of..."  Wink

FotiniD  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2009 at 9:46am
Gazza wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 8:06am:
One which wasnt unfounded but which we decided to keep off the boards was when Mick went back to London after the Phoenix show in November 2006 to visit his dying father. It wasn't in the papers and there were conflicting stories from the Stones camp every few hours that week as to whether the Vegas show that weekend would go ahead or not. So, we had the dilemma of wanting to respect Mick's privacy but at the same time wanting to advise fans that the show was at risk. In the end, we mailed everyone we knew who was planning to go to Vegas and got them to spread the message to anyone who needed to know that the show was in doubt and the reason for it but on the understanding it was NOT to be mentioned on the forums. Seemed to work out ok, and the show went ahead anyway, even though Joe died that afternoon while Mick was on his way back to the US.

Oh, what a weekend....anxiously awaiting my next text from Gazza while I sat in Vegas on pins and needles. I was texting LJ: "But my hotel room is room 1009...isn't that a good sign???" LOL

Yet another example of the way our moderators go above and beyond.

Mick ended up landing just 3 or 4 hours before going onstage. It was such a touching show. Keith patted him on the shoulder several times, and the long looks from Charlie were obviously meant to prop him up. When it was over, Mick looked absolutely spent.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:23am
Probably the toughest show of his life. I debated months before whether or not to go to that show but I'd traveled a bucketload & decided against it.

On an unrelated note, Depeche Mode are still around? I post on a major board that has a similar policy to DM's board. It's a more general board (about TV shows) but the heavy handed moderation is a downer.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:25am
In many ways, one of his finest performances, in a true 'the show must go on' manner.

Keith (Paris 1976) and Bill (Tokyo 1990)  have done the same thing just hours after hearing of a bereavement (in both their cases, it was for shows that were being televised as well).  Must take incredible inner strength to be able to do that.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:37am
I see no signs of us slowing down

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:37am
The reason is that I don't speak English and Gazza does not read your posts  Shit!

Now seriously... We tolerate freedom of speech, but not aggressions or insults and of course respect Stones privacy

Even that Gazza is in the European time and I'm in the American we cannot delete immediately so when you see something that MUST be deleted please send us an e-mail to [email protected]

To be honest sometimes I want to delete some posts and sometimes some regulars take the board as theirs posting pretty often and taking the leadership. Some regulars have quit because of this but anyway we tolerate some flooding

:necrophillicpost
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009 at 10:40am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:43am
Saint Sway wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 10:37am:

Wrongo. Back to 55MPH in a few months.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:51am
Quote:

Well, at least you still have your Gossip Girls Message Board to fall back on....

Quote:
I post on a major board that has a similar policy to DM's board. It's a more general board (about TV shows) but the heavy handed moderation is a downer.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #13 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:59am
Saint Sway wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 10:51am:
Quote:

Well, at least you still have your Gossip Girls Message Board to fall back on....

Quote:
I post on a major board that has a similar policy to DM's board. It's a more general board (about TV shows) but the heavy handed moderation is a downer.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:00am
LOL You so NASTEE! I go there for info on Jeopardy! And the new 90201...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:00am
Some Guy wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 10:59am:
Saint Sway wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 10:51am:
Quote:

Quote:

NEVER AGAIN!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:14am
The Tone Loc Message Board I frequent is more active than this place.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:19am
Wild thing...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:20am
Half the board is still recovering from TomL's BBQ!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:29am
Quote:
Half the board is still recovering from TomL's BBQ!

gotta lay off the funky cold medina's

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #20 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:36am
Saint Sway wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 11:14am:
The Tone Loc Message Board I frequent is more active than this place.

wait until payday...once TTM can afford some more malt liquor, posts will pick up.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #21 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:40am
abbott & costello were supposed to do a show one time in the late 40s i think it was....not sure what year....but lou costello's three or four year old son drowned in the family pool that morning. they were going to cancel the show, but lou refused...said the show must go on.

that situation was 100 times worse than mick's dad....tragic death of a child and then you have to go out and do comedy.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - May 27th, 2009 at 12:19pm
Quote:
Probably the toughest show of his life. I debated months before whether or not to go to that show but I'd traveled a bucketload & decided against it.

On an unrelated note, Depeche Mode are still around? I post on a major board that has a similar policy to DM's board. It's a more general board (about TV shows) but the heavy handed moderation is a downer.

Yes..theyve just released a new album and are on a world tour. Not my taste personally, but I downloaded an advance copy of their album for a mate who's a big fan and he thought it was the best thing they'd done for about 15 years.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - May 27th, 2009 at 12:22pm
Starbuck wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 11:40am:
abbott & costello were supposed to do a show one time in the late 40s i think it was....not sure what year....but lou costello's three or four year old son drowned in the family pool that morning. they were going to cancel the show, but lou refused...said the show must go on.

that situation was 100 times worse than mick's dad....tragic death of a child and then you have to go out and do comedy.

Pretty hideous indeed, although in Keith's case in 1976, it was also his 2 month old son who had died that day in Switzerland.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2009 at 1:34pm
"The Rocks Off Message Board - where you come for the Stones news, but you stay for Porto Potty pictures."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)