Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones fans ‘Star’-struck by censorship (Read 790 times)
Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rolling Stones fans ‘Star’-struck by censorship
May 26th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
May 26th, 2009
Rolling Stones fans ‘Star’-struck by censorship
Posted by: Dean Goodman

Rolling Stones fans are a grumpy lot these days.

The band has not toured since August 2007, triggering a painful withdrawal period for acolytes of the death-defying rockers; a CD reissue program turned out to be an anticlimax; and now the Stones’ new label has censored one of their raunchier tunes.

Universal Music has licensed the rights to the group’s post-1960s albums, and released the first batch three weeks ago: remastered versions of “Sticky Fingers” (1971), “Goats Head Soup” (1973), “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll” (1975) and “Black And Blue” (1976).

Fans were initially thrilled about the prospect of the new reissue program, contemplating discs jam-packed with bonus material. That soon turned to disappointment and then outrage when it emerged that any outtakes, demos and other goodies will stay in the vaults. 

The previous remastering program took place in 1994, when the band was signed to Virgin Records, and those discs remain the gold standard. (Universal has held back the reissue of 1972’s “Exile on Main Street” until early 2010, promising “wider plans for this title.”)

But sharp-eared fans at the Web site It’s Only Rock n’ Roll have noticed a difference between the Universal and Virgin versions of “Goats Head Soup,” and they are not thrilled. In the groupie put-down “Star Star,” a vulgar synonym for the female genitals has been obscured, as has a reference to late actor John Wayne.

Both phrases were obscured when the album first came out in 1973. In fact the album’s U.S. release was delayed by several months because Atlantic Records, the group’s label at the time, wanted to drop the song completely. Moreover, the Stones were forced to change the original title, which has always been heard in its full glory, chanted about 65 times during the song. 

The Virgin reissue restored both the naughty word — which begins with a “p” — and the John Wayne reference to the couplet “Yeah, I’ll make bets that you’re gonna get John Wayne before he dies.”

So who’s to blame for the problem? No one is talking: That includes publicists for both the Rolling Stones and Universal, as well as officials at Marcussen Mastering Studios, the Hollywood firm handling the Universal reissues.

It’s likely Marcussen worked from the tapes supplied by the Stones camp. At least, that’s what happened with the Virgin Records program, says mastering engineer Bill Ludwig, who handled that project.

“Sometimes the clients intentionally want us to change things,” Ludwig said via email, recalling that the Stones requested a “small number of … little changes,” such as restoring Sonny Rollins’ extended sax solo on the “Tattoo You” track “Slave.”

“When I did the re-mastering I was told that Keith (Richards) really got into it and set up a vinyl turntable, had someone re-buy all the original vinyl issues, and did lots of comparisons,” Ludwig said.

If Universal ends up recalling the album or refunding fans, it shouldn’t break the coffers at the world’s biggest record company too much. The reissued album has sold fewer than 100 copies in the United States, according to a music industry source.

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Rolling Stones fans ‘Star’-struck by censorshi
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009 at 6:12am
Initial reports were that the 4 reissued albums sold about 7,000 copies in the US in the first two weeks after their re-release earlier this month (4,000 of which were for Sticky Fingers).

If thats not bad enough, from what I've been told, those figures actually go back as far as last August when for Soundscan purposes the Virgin versions of those albums were apparently counted as Universal sales. Shit!

Makes the decision to ignore the wishes of the hardcore fanbase who would buy them again if they had bonus material and instead just target all 10 people on the planet who haven't bought them before now and who might still be interested as an absolute masterstroke, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009 at 6:13am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2009 at 6:18am
Gazza wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 6:12am:
Initial reports were that the 4 reissued albums sold about 7,000 copies in the US in the first two weeks after their re-release earlier this month (4,000 of which were for Sticky Fingers).

If thats not bad enough, from what I've been told, those figures actually go back as far as last August when for Soundscan purposes the Virgin versions of those albums were apparently counted as Universal sales. Shit!

Makes the decision to ignore the wishes of the hardcore fanbase who would buy them again if they had bonus material and instead just target all 10 people on the planet who haven't bought them before now and who might still be interested as an absolute masterstroke, doesn't it?

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009 at 7:17am
Wow, the guy counted the number of "starfuckers".   That's research!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2009 at 7:27am
'Starfucker' was only censored on the original US version of GHS - the rest of the world were allowed to hear it properly.

Has anyone ever explained the logic in editing out the word 'pussy' but at the same time leaving untouched the word 'fucker' which is not only more offensive to most people who choose to be offended but which happens to appear several dozen times in the course of 4 and a half minutes?

To this day I've still never heard the version which is laughably known as the 'clean' one - having absolutely no intention to buy a full price remaster of this album (the quality of the remastering of which seems to have divided opinion) I doubt I will do for some considerable time either.

... ... ...
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2009 at 8:58am
this ain't helping my ED

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:28am
Gazza wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 7:27am:
leaving untouched the word 'fucker' which is not only more offensive to most people who choose to be offended but which happens to appear several dozen times in the course of 4 and a half minutes?

That's because the word was "bucker." Check the lyric sheet.   Roll Eyes

Believe me you're missing nothing but pasting an unintelligable word over "pussy."  I never ever caught the John Wayne alteration.  It's not like he was singing clearly or anything.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:39am
Took me years to get the John Wayne line as well (The Stones even got the Ok from Steve McQueen to namecheck him, as I remember)

Ah yes, 'starbucker'. Those great old songbooks where you had 'find the lucky feed' in 'Rocks Off' and other such gems.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2009 at 10:46am
I wonder how many Cd's they pressed for these re-issues? Should find them real cheap soon enough. If I see them for under $5. I'll start to consider buying them... GHS would be the one to get at this point, simply b/c it is the only one that has a first time on CD version of a song, butchered and destroyed, but still a first!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:48am

Less than 100 copies?

Ouch.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2009 at 12:38pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 11:48am:
Less than 100 copies?

Ouch.

official US sales figures per Soundscan

Sticky Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
It's Only Rock and Roll 544
Black and Blue 827

Like I said earlier, it was initially reported that these were the sales for the first two weeks. Apparently its the sales from last August , including the now deleted Virgin versions, adjusted to take into account when Universal took over the catalogue.

That £5 million they reportedly invested in the Stones for the next five years isn't looking like the most astute deal of all time, at present.

And apparently the Exile reissue has now been put back from October 2009 to 2010.   Angry

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2009 at 1:12pm
I was walking down the street yesterday and smelled some  Better seen on weed!  Better seen on weed! around the corner. I turned the corner and saw a huge line of kids hanging outside of Best Buy. I asked what they were doing here and they said they were camping out for the Remaster release of Emotional Rescue.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)