Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: best track

dance    
  4 (12.5%)
summer romance    
  3 (9.4%)
send it to me    
  1 (3.1%)
let me go    
  2 (6.2%)
indian girl    
  1 (3.1%)
where the boys go    
  9 (28.1%)
down in the hole    
  1 (3.1%)
emotional rescue    
  2 (6.2%)
she's so cold    
  8 (25.0%)
all about you    
  1 (3.1%)

Total votes: 32
« Created by: mojoman on: May 18th, 2009 at 1:57pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Anything Emotional Rescue... (Read 9,749 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Anything Emotional Rescue...
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2009 at 7:08am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Some Guy wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 6:00am:
Songfacts:  

This alienated many Stones fans who thought it was a sell out to Disco, but it was still a Top 10 hit in the US and UK.Mick Jagger sang much of this in a falsetto, which was the thing to do with Disco songs. The Bee Gees did the same thing, but unlike The Stones, were never able to get back the fans they lost to Disco.

Jagger: 'We were just doing dance music, you know. It was just a dance music lick I was just playing on the keyboard. Charlie has a really nice groove for that." (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

Bobby Keys' sax solo and Mick Jagger's vocals were added almost a year after the rhythm track was recorded.

Jagger wrote this on an electric piano.

The video for this used the same thermal imagery effect as the album cover. It was cutting-edge visual stuff in 1980.

Not really a major accomplishment to be honest. Back then, if the Stones had released a crackling tape of two dogs farting and put it out as the first single from an album it would have gone top 10 in the UK. 'Emotional Rescue' reached #9 from what I remember which was seen as quite disappointing, as 'Miss You' (itself a nod to disco) had reached #2.

I still think it was a poor choice for a first single. It was far too long and the forced falsetto and faux-crooning later in the song just sounded silly. The sax and Ronnie's bass are fantastic though.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - May 20th, 2009 at 7:11am
Throwaway wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 1:20pm:
Why the hell did they play Let Me Go live?  It's alright, but I don't understand why they played SSC and LMG live in '81-2, but not Where the Boys Go, Dance, Send It To Me (couldn't play Neighbors during the same show), All About You?  All About You sounds pretty good on NS boots, but I really doubt much of the audience could recognize it.

Let Me Go and She's So Cold were awful on that tour - a pair of noisy thrashes, with all the subtlety of the studio versions totally lost. The percussion and Mick's vocal delivery on the studio Let Me Go are superb.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #27 - May 20th, 2009 at 7:41am
Gazza wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 7:08am:
Some Guy wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 6:00am:
Songfacts:  

This alienated many Stones fans who thought it was a sell out to Disco, but it was still a Top 10 hit in the US and UK.Mick Jagger sang much of this in a falsetto, which was the thing to do with Disco songs. The Bee Gees did the same thing, but unlike The Stones, were never able to get back the fans they lost to Disco.

Jagger: 'We were just doing dance music, you know. It was just a dance music lick I was just playing on the keyboard. Charlie has a really nice groove for that." (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

Bobby Keys' sax solo and Mick Jagger's vocals were added almost a year after the rhythm track was recorded.

Jagger wrote this on an electric piano.

The video for this used the same thermal imagery effect as the album cover. It was cutting-edge visual stuff in 1980.

Not really a major accomplishment to be honest. Back then, if the Stones had released a crackling tape of two dogs farting and put it out as the first single from an album it would have gone top 10 in the UK. 'Emotional Rescue' reached #9 from what I remember which was seen as quite disappointing, as 'Miss You' (itself a nod to disco) had reached #2.

I still think it was a poor choice for a first single. It was far too long and the forced falsetto and faux-crooning later in the song just sounded silly. The sax and Ronnie's bass are fantastic though.

dude??
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2009 at 7:45am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #28 - May 20th, 2009 at 1:39pm

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #29 - May 20th, 2009 at 2:19pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #30 - May 20th, 2009 at 2:40pm
he'd look good in purple.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #31 - May 20th, 2009 at 2:41pm
To me, Let Me Go was the obvious choice for the first single.   And it wouldn't have confused me so, as recounted in my quaint anecdote above.  Didn't anybody like my quaint fucking anecdote?   piss off

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #32 - May 20th, 2009 at 3:00pm
Zack wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 2:41pm:
To me, Let Me Go was the obvious choice for the first single.   And it wouldn't have confused me so, as recounted in my quaint anecdote above.  Didn't anybody like my quaint fucking anecdote?   piss off

I missed it, what was it?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #33 - May 20th, 2009 at 3:01pm
Starbuck wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 2:40pm:
he'd look good in purple.

you guys are going down that road already.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #34 - May 20th, 2009 at 3:13pm
Some Guy wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 3:00pm:
I missed it, what was it?

:hilarious

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:44am
Zack wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 12:41pm:
Here's anything.

I will always love ER because it is the first new Stones album to come out after I became obsessed.  In the time since SG, I had collected most of their catalog on vinyl, and in the summer of 1980 I was 16 and a full-fledged addict.  I counted the days until it came out, the first time I did that for any album.    I remember vividly another kid saying to me "have you heard the name of the new Stones album, Emotional Relief?"  I figured out his mistake when the radio played the single, which I admit was a bit baffling and un-Stones like to me (that hasn't really changed).  

So on the big day I was so excited I went to Price's Music Shop before school, and of course the store was still closed at 8 a.m.  Went straight back after school and plunked down my $5.98 for the cassette so I could listen in my 74 Duster.  I was very anti-disco at the time, having suffered the likes of the Bee Gees during my AM radio years, and was appalled at Dance Part 1.  But loved Summer Romance, Let Me Go, Down in the Hole, and She's So Cold immediately.  A bit disappointed overall, but it really grew on me.  One of those albums that brings you back to a certain place and time, and for me, it's drinking 10 oz Budweisers next to the car in a cornfield (not much to do in rural Easton, Maryland back then).  Actually, my current copy is still the CBS version.  I may pick up the new one.  Tonight, and every night.

This mirrors my memories quite uncannily (although I was 17). Some guy (ack) I played football with mentioned that he'd heard a new Stones record called something like 'Emotional Release' and it 'sounded like the fuckin' Bee Gees'.

I remember that it was supposed to have come out before Christmas 1979 ("wishful thinking on EMI's part!" Jagger said in a BBC radio interview which he did when it was released) and then kept getting delayed. In mid June I actually read in the Melody Maker that it was going to be delayed again because it contained a litigious song called 'Claudine' (which in retrospect seems a bit strange as that was recorded for Some Girls..maybe they got confused). So I was surprised a few days later to see the album - with the wraparound thermographic poster which I still have to this day - in a shop window.

Like you, it was the first Stones album that I bought immediately on release. I was a bit disappointed in it after 'Some Girls' although I liked Where The Boys Go, Let Me Go and She's So Cold the most. I thought the title track was embarrassing (I've since grown to like bits of it as I mentioned earlier), Indian Girl was horrid (I still dont like it) and All About You was dire (I love that one now, however). The rest struck me as solid enough without being anything special.

That BBC interview with Jagger was pretty good as I remember. They played 4 songs from the album (the title track, She's So Cold, Where The Boys Go and (I think) Dance), Mick explained the appearance of female backing singers on WTBG ('two or three teenage girls who live around the corner from me (in New York) and who wanted to be singers - I can't remember their names'), answered a question on whether he might make a solo record by saying "I've a load of songs the band probably wouldnt like, so I may as well go in to the studio and knock them off", mentioned that they would make another record very soon as they had so many songs left over (which they did) and when asked about the long term plans for a group who were pushing 40, said that they had no plans to quit but "I cant imagine us going on much further than..... (I remember nervously holding my breath as he paused at this point)......1990"....

Blank Frigging Stare
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2009 at 10:45am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:05pm
Let Me Go sounded fine live. They should have done Summer Romance. This was the 1st new release I purchased on my own although I had purchased Between The Buttons a bit earlier.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #37 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm
Gazza wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 10:19am:
and I will personally indulge in fisticuffs with anyone who doesn't think 'Where The Boys Go' is great.

I find the female vocals at the end rather shrill & annoying but except for that, yeah, I really like the tune. Has it ever been played live?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2009 at 11:01pm
No, never live. I agree, the backing vox is troublesome.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #39 - May 22nd, 2009 at 6:04am
Edith Grove wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm:
I find the female vocals at the end rather shrill & annoying

A bit like the Clash meet the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #40 - May 22nd, 2009 at 3:20pm

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:07pm
Gazza, your influence is profound!  Whooda thunk WTBAG would be the runaway winner in the poll?   Ouch!

Me, I voted for Let Me Go.  Love the dub production.

(Starbuck, your movie didn't work . . . kept cutting out and back to play.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #42 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:07pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm:
Gazza wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 10:19am:
and I will personally indulge in fisticuffs with anyone who doesn't think 'Where The Boys Go' is great.

I find the female vocals at the end rather shrill & annoying but except for that, yeah, I really like the tune. Has it ever been played live?

They rehearsed for SNL in 1978, it is on a bootleg, can't remeber which one... not really live, but it was being thought about, even before ER was released.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #43 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:25pm
Zack wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 4:07pm:

works fine for me!

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:44pm

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #45 - May 23rd, 2009 at 2:48am
Starbuck wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 4:25pm:

works fine for me!

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/movie-uk-541a526b08cee4d1622b4bdf1165f3ec.html

Wow! you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #46 - May 23rd, 2009 at 3:13am

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:09pm
While the other Stones albums were stuck crawling home in Memorial Day traffic yesterday, Emotional Rescue was racing along the side of the highway, smokin a doob and getting a hummer from a stripper named Chastity.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #48 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:15pm
leonid wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 2:48am:
Starbuck wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 4:25pm:

works fine for me!

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/movie-uk-541a526b08cee4d1622b4bdf1165f3ec.html

Wow! you made a grown man cry

is it me, or does the SS thing just never get old?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - May 26th, 2009 at 5:24pm
Shit!
how is it possible that this thread still hasnt been stickied??!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Is the Unholy Trinity snoozing on the job??
Blank Frigging Stare

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)