Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robert Greenfield's "A Day in the Life" (Read 1,073 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Robert Greenfield's "A Day in the Life"
May 18th, 2009 at 4:30am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Robert Greenfield's "A Day in the Life" is the tragic true story of a family that fell prey to drugs, infidelity and madness in swinging '60s London.

By by Charles R. Cross

"A Day in the Life: One Family, the Beautiful People, and the End of the '60s"

by Robert Greenfield
Da Capo Press, 352 pp., $24.95

Special to The Seattle Times
MAy 17,2009

In a way, Jimi Hendrix's brilliance played a role in the downward spiral that saw Tommy Weber fall from grace, and later end up in London's Wormwood Scrubs prison.

Weber was a bon vivant in swinging '60s London, and he lived in a rarefied world that kept him in contact with rock's elite. After an attempt to make a Beatles movie failed, Weber tried to relaunch his film career by documenting Hendrix's legendary "Christmas on Earth" concert in 1967. This project also went bust, despite Weber capturing a dozen hours of Hendrix playing, footage that was eventually lost.

Weber abandoned his film plans and became a drug dealer, a career move that kept him in contact with musicians, but eventually led to his arrest.

Weber's rise and fall, and that of his glamorous wife, Susan "Puss" Coriat, is minutely detailed in Robert Greenfield's "A Day in the Life." The pair were one of London's most glamorous '60s couples, and their friendships with the Beatles, the Stones, and fashion and art mavens are minutely chronicled here.

Puss was the more famous of the two in the day, known as an heiress, fashion model, actress and "it" girl due to her Ophelia-like beauty. That she would marry Weber, and that their house would become a landmark in swinging London, seemed almost preordained.

Equally fated, though, is the downfall that is presaged from the opening page. Drugs, infidelity and eventually madness creep in, which is why Greenfield finds the story of this one family such a telling parable for the entire decade. Puss goes off to chase gurus in India, while Weber chases heroin around the world and ends up dating the actress Charlotte Rampling.

All of this would play as a typical '60s sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll fable if it weren't for the presence of the couple's two sons, who end up as shellshocked passengers on this doomed voyage. That Charley and Jake Weber survived this childhood — and Jake ended up as an actor on NBC's "Medium" — is the most remarkable part of the story. Much of Greenfield's account comes from the boys' memories, as Puss carts them across India in a scene that reads like Esther Freud's "Hideous Kinky," while Tommy uses them as drug mules. Puss' descent to madness and an early death seems inevitable.

Greenfield's reporting skill is admirable, and when he quotes Puss' last letter to her sons, it is bone-chilling. As the author of two previous books on the Rolling Stones, Greenfield brings the decade to life as well as any writer, without ignoring the darkness that soon envelops this family. One scene, where the two boys smuggle cocaine for Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg, would read as comedy if it weren't for the two innocents involved.

Still, Greenfield may overreach simply by choosing this horrid family as '60s metaphor. If the Webers indeed represent that psychedelically colored decade, then, as the Beatles sang in the song this book shares a title with, "The news was rather sad."

Seattle author Charles R. Cross is the author of "Room Full of Mirrors," a biography of Jimi Hendrix, and "Heavier Than Heaven," a biography of Kurt Cobain.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 5:05am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Robert Greenfield's "A Day in the Life"
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:45am
Sounds like my kind of a book, especially about 60's swinging London, I watch Medium but I wonder who this jake is on the show, who he plays.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2009 at 10:03am
Heart Of Stone wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 6:45am:
Sounds like my kind of a book, especially about 60's swinging London, I watch Medium but I wonder who this jake is on the show, who he plays.

From Wikipedia.

"He currently portrays Joe DuBois, the loving husband of psychic Allison DuBois in NBC's hit drama series Medium.

"As a boy, Weber was present at the Rolling Stones' recording sessions for the album Exile on Main Street in the summer of 1971. His father, Tommy Weber, was an associate of Keith Richards, who hosted the gathering/recording at Nellcote at his then-residence along the southern coast of France. Weber and girlfriend, Elizabeth Carey, have a son named Waylon born in 2006. Weber currently lives in Los Angeles."

From the Posted Article

"One scene, where the two boys smuggle cocaine for Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg, would read as comedy if it weren't for the two innocents involved."

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 10:08am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2009 at 10:25am
I wonder if anyone's bought the movie rights to this book yet. Any director could have a field day. Too bad Hitchcock wasn't still alive.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2009 at 2:13pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 10:25am:
I wonder if anyone's bought the movie rights to this book yet. Any director could have a field day. Too bad Hitchcock wasn't still alive.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2009 at 2:28pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 10:03am:
Heart Of Stone wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 6:45am:

From Wikipedia.

"He currently portrays Joe DuBois, the loving husband of psychic Allison DuBois in NBC's hit drama series Medium.

"As a boy, Weber was present at the Rolling Stones' recording sessions for the album Exile on Main Street in the summer of 1971. His father, Tommy Weber, was an associate of Keith Richards, who hosted the gathering/recording at Nellcote at his then-residence along the southern coast of France. Weber and girlfriend, Elizabeth Carey, have a son named Waylon born in 2006. Weber currently lives in Los Angeles."

From the Posted Article

"One scene, where the two boys smuggle cocaine for Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg, would read as comedy if it weren't for the two innocents involved."

I know who the guy is now, he looks like Peter Tork (same hairstyle) from The Monkees, I always wonder if they ever get any sleep on that show, she's always having dreams & waking him up too.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2009 at 5:41pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 4:27pm:
WTF? a coupla kids thrown under the bus. to make it happen. Ain't we pretty?

Red Hot Poker??? :funny

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:49pm
i saw this at the bookstore a few week ago, and, the names were familiar to me....
i loved greenfield's STP, so i shall buy it.
sounds depressing though...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2009 at 10:25pm
dude...you're putting on a "suck" clinic. amazing! wait till sway sees this sheeyat....

gazza's a pretty talented lad...perhaps he can figure out a way to ban you from starting threads.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 10:26pm by Starbuck »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:31pm
Jake Weber's a pretty solid actor. He was in Pushing Tin. I'd read this book if I didn't have a 6 month backlog.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:40pm
Quote:
Jake Weber's a pretty solid actor. He was in Pushing Tin. I'd read this book if I didn't have a 6 month backlog.

Backlog of what? Books? I find it hard to believe that you have a backlog of books. Crib notes or videos maybe....but books??????

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:41pm
Yep. I've bought too many & I don't read at home like I should.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)