Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Site Of The Month ! (Read 2,435 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Site Of The Month !
May 17th, 2009 at 8:39pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Howdy, ya'll !

I just visited rollingstones.com for the first time in.............I don't know how long.

The "site of the month" for May 2009 is none other than Rocks Off.  really?
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 5:17am by Edith Grove »  

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Re: Site Of The Month !
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009 at 8:50pm
REALLY???

AS MUCH AS WE DISS RS.CON TIME TO SAY:

CONGRATULATIONS UNHOLY TRINITY!!

Who stole this one? (Seriously)  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint  really?  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?  Perverted Mick

LJ.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2009 at 8:55pm
a toast Let's go get drunk
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2009 at 8:57pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2009 at 9:05pm
Nice work, EG!  They must have fixed it because now when you click on the Rocksoff.org link, it takes you straight to our homepage:

Sweet!  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:36pm
Wow!

Congrats to the Unholy Ones.

Smiley

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2009 at 12:13am
congratualtions and having an inactive site win... that's funny!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2009 at 4:43am
GotToRollMe wrote on May 17th, 2009 at 9:05pm:
They must have fixed it because now when you click on the Rocksoff.org link, it takes you straight to our homepage

Yeah, my bad. When I clicked on the link from RS.com, I saw the black background from the old messageboard and assumed it was on old link. Ouch!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2009 at 5:10am
I might be crazy-but wasn't the year mentioned 2008?  And I kinda remember this happening..

Great work RS.com....
Glad you keep your site up to date Shit!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:28am
It's no big deal. We've been 'site of the month' for over a year simply because they can't be arsed updating their website.

Their recognition means nothing to me. It took them long enough to even acknowledge our existence.

They're a disgrace of a website. Not sure which of their 'crimes' is worse....false advertising by enticing fans to cough up $100 to join with the tease of club shows that never got announced, the promise of an 'exclusive' DVD that never existed and 3 years later seems to have been forgotten about, still selling tickets for European shows for several weeks in 2006 after Keith's accident even though local promoters were telling fans that their gigs had been cancelled, offering so-so tickets in the presale for the 02 shows and keeping the best ones for fan asylum, or  the 'Shine a Light' fiasco when they asked us to be an affiliate to help sell the DVD at Christmas 2007 with the sweetener that the affiliate with most sales would win tickets to the premiere in New York - and then refusing to disclose who actually 'won'. I'm 99% certain the main prize never existed or else they just changed their mind.

We went along with that charade because they'd offered us a chance to reward fans for supporting the band's latest release - Voodoo and myself couldnt have accepted the prize as we dont live in Canada or the US - and we felt it would give them a chance to redeem themselves. In the end they shafted us. And you. I can't speak for Voodoo but if there's a similar opportunity to work with them again, I personally won't have anything to do with it.

I'm absolutely amazed someone with a legal background hasnt taken them to the cleaners years ago. It makes my blood boil to see fans exploited in the way this fan club has operated in the last few years. The band themselves aren't without blame, because they've authorised these people to act on their behalf - but to be fair, they can't be expected to know what's going on on an everyday basis. Rs.com have almost done something in the last couple of years that I never thought possible - they almost made me hate my favourite band, and I'll never forgive them for that. At least I still have the great records and superb concerts to prevent that but they've been a major factor in what disillusionment I have.

No doubt next year if the Stones tour they'll be bombarding us with the same false promises yet again - hopefully Stones fans won't be like lemmings yet again and will vote with their wallets and tell them where to stick their membership.

Fuck 'em.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 6:32am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2009 at 7:19am
Gazza wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 6:28am:
It's no big deal. We've been 'site of the month' for over a year simply because they can't be arsed updating their website.

Their recognition means nothing to me. It took them long enough to even acknowledge our existence.

They're a disgrace of a website. Not sure which of their 'crimes' is worse....false advertising by enticing fans to cough up $100 to join with the tease of club shows that never got announced, the promise of an 'exclusive' DVD that never existed and 3 years later seems to have been forgotten about, still selling tickets for European shows for several weeks in 2006 after Keith's accident even though local promoters were telling fans that their gigs had been cancelled, offering so-so tickets in the presale for the 02 shows and keeping the best ones for fan asylum, or  the 'Shine a Light' fiasco when they asked us to be an affiliate to help sell the DVD at Christmas 2007 with the sweetener that the affiliate with most sales would win tickets to the premiere in New York - and then refusing to disclose who actually 'won'. I'm 99% certain the main prize never existed or else they just changed their mind.

We went along with that charade because they'd offered us a chance to reward fans for supporting the band's latest release - Voodoo and myself couldnt have accepted the prize as we dont live in Canada or the US - and we felt it would give them a chance to redeem themselves. In the end they shafted us. And you. I can't speak for Voodoo but if there's a similar opportunity to work with them again, I personally won't have anything to do with it.

I'm absolutely amazed someone with a legal background hasnt taken them to the cleaners years ago. It makes my blood boil to see fans exploited in the way this fan club has operated in the last few years. The band themselves aren't without blame, because they've authorised these people to act on their behalf - but to be fair, they can't be expected to know what's going on on an everyday basis. Rs.com have almost done something in the last couple of years that I never thought possible - they almost made me hate my favourite band, and I'll never forgive them for that. At least I still have the great records and superb concerts to prevent that but they've been a major factor in what disillusionment I have.

No doubt next year if the Stones tour they'll be bombarding us with the same false promises yet again - hopefully Stones fans won't be like lemmings yet again and will vote with their wallets and tell them where to stick their membership.

Fuck 'em.

Wow, eye-opening.  This sounds exactly like (but to a more extreme degree) the pathetic site by another of my favorite bands, The Who...so sad...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2009 at 7:19am
Pdog wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 12:13am:
congratualtions and having an inactive site win... that's funny!

Hmmm?  Shit!

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2009 at 8:16am
HA!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2009 at 8:23am
"  Rs.com have almost done something in the last couple of years that I never thought possible - they almost made me hate my favourite band, and I'll never forgive them for that.  "

This makes Joey scared !!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2009 at 8:29am
Gazza wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 6:28am:

Fuck 'em.

I thought I got a strong sense of deja vu from this, but just chalked it up to a bad memory.

As for the rest of your post, Gaz:  J'accuse! - a red hot poker for 'em!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2009 at 10:43am
RS.SCUM

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

The "fan club" of Torture
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2009 at 12:08pm
If I had the time or money I would happily sue the pants off of them. because they allow certain members to attack fans and bully, allow them to repeatedly insult and for example threaten to kill you if you go to a bar in Baltimore... allow rumor mongering impossible to defend against, allow members to harass and bully each other online in a very disturbingly violent manner without doing anything about it at all and then ban someone because a certain member said so (me and Dave?)  After requesting numerous times I did not get a refund of my registration fee.  There was a group of 4 or 5 of us that were going to sue them becuase of the same problems but we lost momentum b/c they are such assholes to deal with (not answering) that you just want to go screaming from the room and never speak to anyone there again.

The moderation is abominable, many of fans that post there are either mean or stupid; (I guess it takes a special idiot to pay $100.00 to banter around with peole that are bullies namely ME)  False advertising, bait and switch, lousy seats, overpriced items in the store that don't fit.  You can have it.  It should be bulldozed down the hill into hell as far as Iam concerned.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 12:15pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - May 18th, 2009 at 12:46pm
I am sorry I accidentally made a new topic on this. I meant to post it here. I know I suck. at least I apologize!! It was a long time ago but the experience was so very agonizing. I am surprised that message board is still standing and hasn't burned in flames already.

what is that picture in got to roll me's post?  It is a good depiction of CRAZY in music form
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 12:53pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 18th, 2009 at 3:33pm
Tumbled wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 12:46pm:
what is that picture in got to roll me's post?  It is a good depiction of CRAZY in music form

it looks like a dali painting.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - May 18th, 2009 at 3:38pm
Im not surprised at anything at RS.COM....Look up "fool" on Wikapedia and theres a picture of a guy wearing those Stones $300 "aviator" glasses...........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:10pm
Tumbled wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 12:46pm:
I am sorry I accidentally made a new topic on this. I meant to post it here. I know I suck. at least I apologize!! It was a long time ago but the experience was so very agonizing. I am surprised that message board is still standing and hasn't burned in flames already.

That's from Hieronymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" triptych, specifically panel three depicting hell.
There's a nice-sized one of the entire triptych here:
http://www.computus.org/journal/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/the-garden-of-earthly...
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 6:16pm by GotToRollMe »  

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:28pm
Which is at the Prado in Madrid which is where I'll be in 3 weeks!

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #21 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:34pm
GotToRollMe wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 8:29am:
As for the rest of your post, Gaz:  J'accuse! - a red hot poker for 'em!

134 different youtube clips? ouch! that's harsh!

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:34pm
Quote:

Lucky bastard!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:40pm
My 1st time over there! Africa too.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #24 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:41pm
Quote:
My 1st time over there! Africa too.

Take a quick detour to Lisbon and thank me later.

What part of Africa? Morocco?

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:42pm
Yes, Tangiers. I'd love to see Lisbon but that will have to be a separate trip.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:52pm
I was in Tangier on a day trip when I was in the Costa del Sol about 7 years ago. Fascinating place, although a real culture shock. I got to ride a camel, pose with a  snake around my neck and even saw where the Stones recorded Continental Drift (no, it wasn't pointed out to me but when I got home and watched the 'Stones in Morocco' documentary a few days later I realised I'd been standing right outside the place where the recording had taken place)

Expect to be absolutely tortured by people trying to sell you something or wanting money, but after about the first 200-300 times you sorta of get used to it....

Then again, maybe things have changed since then - nowadays if they hear a Brit or American accent, they might assume that we're all broke.

Seriously, I'd like to spend a couple of days in it in the future to get the feel of it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:26pm
We're just going for a day trip. You took the ferry from Malaga? I ahd no idea that Jajouka place was in Tangiers. I haven't seen the special so I'm going to google images just in case...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #28 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:34pm
No..flew to Malaga from here. Stayed in Fuengirola which is a little further south. You get the ferry/catamaran from Algeciras which is about another 2-3 hours further south again.

Joujouka is a village in the mountains some distance outside Tangier, but the session took place in Tangier itself.

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #29 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:47pm
Yes, I see I'm in trouble if planning to get to Tangiers from Malaga!

http://www.cemar.it/dest/ferries_morocco.htm

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #30 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:47pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - May 21st, 2009 at 6:59pm
What on earth is all that? A route for a cruise?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:31pm
Quote:

I actually got robbed in Lisbon back in '82 or '83. It was kinda funny actually. I was hammered....out on the town drinking. It's really late 2or 3 in the morning. Looking for a place to drink I walk into this bar or tasca or whatever they call it, and it's all blacks. So wtf? it was open anyway. So I have a few...walk outside and these four or five guys jump me and take my wallet.....all the $ I had.  Anyway they had a bunch of wine they were drinking so I ended up  drinking wine with these guys for about an hour in the street. Then all of a sudden the guy shoved my wallet in my gut and more or less told me to get the fuck out there. Like he thought I was crazy. Once I had my hand on the wallet I was gone.  
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2009 at 7:33pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:37pm

Lisbon, Maine?

www.lisbonme.org

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:44pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:31pm:
Quote:

I actually got robbed in Lisbon back in '82 or '83. It was kinda funny actually. I was hammered....out on the town drinking. It's really late 2or 3 in the morning. Looking for a place to drink I walk into this bar or tasca or whatever they call it, and it's all blacks. So wtf? it was open anyway. So I have a few...walk outside and these four or five guys jump me and take my wallet.....all the $ I had.  Anyway they had a bunch of wine they were drinking so I ended up  drinking wine with these guys for about an hour in the street. Then all of a sudden the guy shoved my wallet in my gut and more or less told me to get the fuck out there. Like he thought I was crazy. Once I had my hand on the wallet I was gone.  

You lived over there for a few years didnt you?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:37pm:
Lisbon, Maine?

www.lisbonme.org

Lisbon, Maine? Ugly town. Nothing pretty about it at all.
No. LOL if you got robbed in Lisbon Maine you could kiss your money goodbye.
I was in Lisbon for a month taking a thirty day intensive Portuguese language course. Most of the blacks that I met in Lisbon at that time were Angolan or Mozambiquan refugees from the Portuguese colonial wars. And I have to say some of the sweetest and nicest people you could ever ask for. As with all wars, those wars as well created much human suffering.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - May 21st, 2009 at 7:58pm
Gazza wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:44pm:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 7:31pm:
Quote:

You lived over there for a few years didnt you?

Yeah. Almost 5. Sometimes I wish I had never come back here. LOL. Looking back I kind of had it made. But then again all that cheap wine may have killed me had I stayed.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #37 - May 22nd, 2009 at 10:32am
Quote:

Don't remind me! I was a stone's throw from The Prado for several days while in Madrid! But someone insisted we wouldn't have time to go. AHEM. (Next trip, ya wee bastard!)  Cool

But yeah, Glenny, if at all possible, hit Lisbon if you ever get a chance. Great place to retire and live out yer golden years!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 22nd, 2009 at 3:31pm
M, I might be going to Lisbon next year with some family. If there's also a Stones show, wouldn't that top it all?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #39 - May 22nd, 2009 at 5:01pm
GotToRollMe wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 10:32am:
Quote:

Don't remind me! I was a stone's throw from The Prado for several days while in Madrid! But someone insisted we wouldn't have time to go. AHEM. (Next trip, ya wee bastard!)  Cool

piss off

'AHEM', your arse!! Your call - ponce around a museum or stand in the lobby of a posh hotel shouting insults at Michael Cohl.

What real Stones fan would choose not to do the latter?

... ... ...
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #40 - May 22nd, 2009 at 5:59pm
Gazza wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 5:01pm:
Quote:

piss off

'AHEM', your arse!! Your call - ponce around a museum or stand in the lobby of a posh hotel shouting insults at Michael Cohl.

Well, when ya put it that way... really?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2009 at 6:47pm
GotToRollMe wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 5:59pm:
Gazza wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 5:01pm:
Quote:

Don't remind me! I was a stone's throw from The Prado for several days while in Madrid! But someone insisted we wouldn't have time to go. AHEM. (Next trip, ya wee bastard!)  Cool

piss off

Well, when ya put it that way... really?

You made the right decision..I think. I'll let you know when I return from 'over there.'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)