Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attn. Dave Alvin Fans , Everett Ruess Was Found! (Read 280 times)
Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Attn. Dave Alvin Fans , Everett Ruess Was Found!
May 15th, 2009 at 5:27pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Everett Ruess was found last year and DNA confirms it!  There's an excellent article in the new National Geographic Adventure magazine about it.  Only part is available on line:

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/everett-ruess/dna-test-text

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/everett-ruess/david-roberts-text

One very interesting thing is the Navajos' reverence, and a bit of superstition, for the spirits of the dead.  I went out and bought a copy (April/May issue).

Dave's great song:

I was born Everett Ruess
I’ve been dead for sixty years
I was just a young boy in my twenties
The day I disappeared.

Into the Grand Escalante Badlands
Near the Utah and Arizona line
And they never found my body, boys
Or understood my mind.

I grew up in California
And I loved my family and my home
But I ran away to the High Sierra
Where I could live free and alone.

And folks said “he’s just another wild kid
And he’ll grow out of it in time”
But they never found my body, boys
Or understood my mind.

I broke broncos with the cowboys
I sang healing songs with the Navajo
I did the snake dance with the Hopi
And I drew pictures everywhere I’d go.

Then I swapped all my drawings for provisions
To get what I needed to get by
Or understood my mind.

Well, I hate your crowded cities
With your sad and hopeless mobs
And I hate your grand cathedrals
Where you try to trap God.

‘Cause I know God is here in the canyons
With the rattlesnakes and the piñon pines
Or understood my mind.

They say I was killed by a drifter
Or I froze to death in the snow
Maybe mauled by a wildcat
Or I’m livin’ down in Mexico.

But my end, it doesn’t really matter
All that counts is how you live your life
Or understood my mind.

You give your dreams away as you get older
Oh, but I never gave up mine
And they’ll never find my body, boys
Or understand my mind.

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Re: Attn. Dave Alvin Fans , Everett Ruess Was Foun
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2009 at 9:29am
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104042648

Dave Alvin: The Sad Song Of 'Everett Ruess'

By Alex Cohen

NPR.org, May 12, 2009 - [Editor's Note: On the most recent episode of Weekend Edition Saturday, Jenny Brundin tells the story of writer and artist Everett Ruess, who went missing 75 years ago. Here's a look at Dave Alvin's 2004 song about Ruess' mysterious disappearance.]

Everett Ruess was a writer, artist and explorer who fearlessly roamed the Southwest on his own in the 1930s when he wasn't hanging out with the likes of Dorothea Lange, Ansel Adams and Edward Weston. "When I go, I leave no trace," Ruess once wrote. That line became especially haunting in 1934, when the young adventurer headed into a desert in Utah, never to be seen again. He was just 20 at the time.

Fellow Californian and musician Dave Alvin (of The Blasters, X and The Knitters) was captivated by Ruess' disappearance. "He never had to grow up. He never had to face some of the mundane things we all have to face as we age," Alvin says in a recent interview. (Click the audio link at left to hear it.) "He could remain pure and poetic."

Alvin wrote a song called "Everett Ruess" for his 2004 album Ashgrove, and it's a beautiful tune, sung from the perspective of Ruess himself. A delicate, ambling song, it's the sort of thing you'd want to hear while driving through the dry, mountainous terrain Ruess wandered decades ago.

Alvin's lyrics poetically chronicle Ruess' life: "Well, I hate your crowded cities, with the sad and hopeless mobs / And I hate your grand cathedrals, where you try to trap God / 'Cause I know God is here in the canyons, with the rattlesnakes and pinon pines / And they never found my body, boys, or understood my mind."

Alvin, whose new album Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women comes out May 26, has been getting a lot of calls about that song lately, because Ruess' body has finally been found. Through careful forensic examination, scientists in Boulder, Colo., were able to confirm recently that remains found in a rocky crevice in Utah are those of Everett Ruess.

It turns out that Ruess was mugged and bludgeoned to death by a group of young Ute Indians. When Alvin heard the news, he says he immediately knew that he'd never perform his musical tribute to Ruess again in concert.

"The song is about the poetry of his life," Alvin says. "To suddenly change the first-person story into a police report of, 'Well, they sent my bones to Boulder for DNA,' it's just not as poetic for me."

Even with the news update, some of the song's most important lines remain unchanged: In the last verse, Alvin sings, "But my end, it doesn't really matter / All that counts is how you live your life."

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: Attn. Dave Alvin Fans , Everett Ruess Was Foun
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2009 at 2:29pm
this mag has great articles.  interesting story.

That was clever

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)