Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tatoo You B side, It Cleanses You ...from Ian (Read 805 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Tatoo You B side, It Cleanses You ...from Ian
May 15th, 2009 at 1:45am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
When I was just a kid, I didn't understand why folks (mainly older folks) loved Tattoo You as much as they did. It wasn't until three or four years after it's release I discovered just how great the "B" side of Tattoo You is. Originally, I thought side A was pretty good over all but side B was a bit out of character and too slow compared to side A.

Later, I realized it was supposed to be that way. It is frick and frack. Side A ...straight ahead rock versus side B, the second chapter being the ballad side. Something that really was never tried before (at least not by the Stones).

Side B truly makes Tattoo You what it is as a great listen. Jagger pours his heart out. It is almost the entire relationship process starting from "Tops". Then in the end, through it all, post break-up, he is then just ...waiting on a good friend rather than more heart ache. Hence the song itself, "Waiting on a Friend".

The ballads are so straight from the heart. Mick really belts them out with Keith anchoring behind him (and Micks own over dubs). It's so emotional and it's powerfully performed. After listening to Tattoo You B side you feel like you got out your emotion, because Mick poured it out for you. Your cleansed.

If there is ever a situation where a girl leaves a guy, tell the guy to just put on Tattoo You, B side.

It will never let you down.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009 at 1:59am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

marko
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Finland
Re: Tatoo You B side, It Cleanses You ...from Ian
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:35am
Its their best "b-side",absolutely wonderfull songs,classics.Includes completely forgotten no use in crying and heaven.

https://www.facebook.com/marko.kuusela.3  
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:06am
as a kid i put it on to go to sleep...wonderful run of songs

IP Logged

luxury
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:45am
you mean it acts as a laxative??

&&

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:56am
luxury wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 8:45am:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:06am
Ian Billen wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 1:45am:
When I was just a kid, I didn't understand why folks (mainly older folks) loved Tattoo You as much as they did. It wasn't until three or four years after it's release I discovered just how great the "B" side of Tattoo You is. Originally, I thought side A was pretty good over all but side B was a bit out of character and too slow compared to side A.

Later, I realized it was supposed to be that way. It is frick and frack. Side A ...straight ahead rock versus side B, the second chapter being the ballad side. Something that really was never tried before (at least not by the Stones).

I think side 2 of 'Exile' is kind of sequenced that way. There's no rockers on it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2009 at 1:29pm

Gazza Wrote:

"I think side 2 of 'Exile' is kind of sequenced that way. There's no rockers on it. "

Well that's True, but side 2 of Exile is different from side B of TY in that it has just four songs. It was more a mid chapter in the 4 side set where as TY side B was the rest of the enchilada and is the whole second half or "flip side" as opposed to just a part of 4 (even though side B from TY is just one more). 

Regardless, if I am familiar with your taste at least fairly well by now ....I am sure you really dig side B of TY. Am I correct?

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - May 15th, 2009 at 2:51pm
Yes, of course. It's the best sequence of songs on any Stones record post-Some Girls.

Although 'Slave' is my favourite song on 'Tattoo You'.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:28pm
luxury wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 8:45am:

LOL. I was afraid I'd get some comment on the title of this thread when I created it. However, I didn't want to say "spiritually cleansing" because TY B side isn't really in that sense. It is an emotional cleanser.

Still, a funny comment though.

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:42pm
Gazza wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
Yes, of course. It's the best sequence of songs on any Stones record post-Some Girls.

Although 'Slave' is my favourite song on 'Tattoo You'.

So You think it's the best sequence of songs on any side of an album since Some Girls? I'd say you have a strong case on that. Although A Bigger Bang, if we can say it's second half since we are mostly in the digital age now, is quite strong in it's own right. IMHO ABB is every bit as strong sequentially as TY B Side. It is just straight ahead rock versus the soul balladry of TY B Side. A Bigger Bang's "Oh No Not You Again" kicked the album into straight high gear from there on out. So ABB finished harder than the first half where as TY finishes much more laid back (but in a good way) compared to it's first half. That is just my take.

But back to TY B Side. It is an artful type album in a sort of sense (not simply because of it's album design) because of how it sounds and how the album is sequentially structured. Also the recording style just gives off a certain elegance, while still being Stonesy. The track "Heaven" is the strongest ingredient to that conclusion. Tattoo You also sounds very "big". It isn't so much a "tight" sound as it is "large" sounding. Your favorite number, "Slave" is an example of that.

Tattoo You: Big, Kinda Artful (in sound, structure, and surely from it's cover), ...emotionally soothing, and sounds direct from the heart (more to side B for that aspect).

That is how I interpret it.

Sure. I realize I really indulge in discussions and thought in this sense but still do you know what I'm saying?

Ian
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009 at 4:54pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:48pm
Gazza wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:06am:

I think side 2 of 'Exile' is kind of sequenced that way. There's no rockers on it.

my first copy of exile, had two records in it, so it had two b sides!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm
Pdog wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 4:48pm:

man, I hope you're back.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:06pm
Some Guy wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm:

man, I hope you're back.

like a herpes outbreak

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:08pm
bout time- fuck 'em.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:12pm
Pdog wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 5:06pm:
Some Guy wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm:

man, I hope you're back.

like a herpes outbreak

But more welcome (to most of us).

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:17pm
pdog is it really you?

pdog.jpg (73 KB | )
pdog.jpg

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #16 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:20pm
mojoman wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 5:17pm:
pdog is it really you?

a better dye job... i'm bringging the hawk back? taking it back form the hipster faux hawk wearing pousers... just still trying to piss off my parents!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #17 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:28pm
this is sweet.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #18 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:03pm
[quote author=Gazza link=1242369923/0#5 date=1242399980][quote author=Ian Billen link=1242369923/0#0 date=1242369923]When I was just a kid, I didn't understand why folks (mainly older folks) loved Tattoo You as much as they did. It wasn't until three or four years after it's release I discovered just how great the "B" side of Tattoo You is. Originally, I thought side A was pretty good over all but side B was a bit out of character and too slow compared to side A.

Good to see you back around the Ponderosa. We were beginning to wonder. So, how is Tattoo You B side to your ears? Do you enjoy it?

Ian

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #19 - May 16th, 2009 at 7:16am
Aint No Use in Crying !

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - May 16th, 2009 at 8:24am
that side two has nice application of reverb throughout - cool production by Bob Clearmountain & Gary Lyons  smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - May 16th, 2009 at 9:02am
Tattoo You is actually one of my least favorite Stones albums. For whatever reason.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #22 - May 16th, 2009 at 11:49am
Ian Billen wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 8:03pm:
[quote author=Gazza link=1242369923/0#5 date=1242399980][quote author=Ian Billen link=1242369923/0#0 date=1242369923]When I was just a kid, I didn't understand why folks (mainly older folks) loved Tattoo You as much as they did. It wasn't until three or four years after it's release I discovered just how great the "B" side of Tattoo You is. Originally, I thought side A was pretty good over all but side B was a bit out of character and too slow compared to side A.

Good to see you back around the Ponderosa. We were beginning to wonder. So, how is Tattoo You B side to your ears? Do you enjoy it?

Ian

I like it alot... WOAF has always been a song I loved... Heaven might be the weakest track, but it is so moody and etheral, that it grew on me... In a way, I like it more, the rockers can get old on the first side, except for Slave... You start out side two with worried About you and end with Waiting On a Friend... That some nice bread for the Stones sandwhich you're about to take a bit from. Tops is good. I was lucky enough to see them "attempt" it live in Philly in 1981. The soundboard of it, is telling of how hard it was to pull off live in a stadium of all places!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)