Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spanish Study Shows Cocaine in the Air in 2 Cities (Read 1,623 times)
mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Spanish Study Shows Cocaine in the Air in 2 Cities
May 14th, 2009 at 9:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 14, 2009
Filed at 9:59 a.m. ET

MADRID (AP) -- Air pollution has long been a fact of life in Spanish cities, but scientists now say it is not just smog that chokes people as they walk to work or stroll through the park. A new study has found the air in Madrid and Barcelona is also laced with at least five drugs -- most prominently cocaine.

The Superior Council of Scientific Investigations, a government institute, said on its Web site Thursday that in addition to cocaine, they found trace amounts of amphetamines, opiates, cannabinoids and lysergic acid --a relative of LSD -- in two air-quality control stations, one in each city.

But it said there was no reason for alarm.

''Not even if we lived for a thousand years would we consume the equivalent of a dose of cocaine by breathing this air,'' scientist Miren Lopez de Alda said in a statement.

The scientific group stressed that ''in no case should these levels be considered representative of the air in the two cities.'' It said the tests were done in areas where drugs were likely to be consumed.

In Madrid, the test site was close to a ruined building believed to be frequented by drug dealers. And in both Madrid and Barcelona, the studies were carried out close to universities.

The group said the study showed higher concentrations of the components on weekends, suggesting that drug consumption was up in these periods.

The research found cocaine in concentrations ranging between 29 and 850 picogram per cubic meter of air. A picogram is one-trillionth of a gram.

Mar Viana, another researcher who worked on the project, said the levels were far higher than those found in similar studies in Europe. She said one study in Rome and Taranto in 2007 revealed cocaine levels of 100 picograms per cubic meter.

According to the U.S. State Department, Spain is Europe's largest consumer of cocaine and hashish. It is also a major transit point for narcotics shipments from South and Central America as well as Africa.

The scientists detected the drug by placing quartz microfiber filters in the air-testing stations. They said the method was new and could help in measuring drug use in towns and cities in a fast and anonymous way.

The group said the findings would be published in the U.S. journal Analytical Chemistry

:funny

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Spanish Study Shows Cocaine in the Air in 2 Ci
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2009 at 11:55am
Well that settles my summer vacation plans!......

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:02pm
Emotional Rescue sounds better in Madrid.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:18pm
Some Guy wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 12:02pm:

Shit,breathing that air,Dirty Work would sound better in Madrid Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:49pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 12:18pm:
Some Guy wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 12:02pm:

Shit,breathing that air,Dirty Work would sound better in Madrid Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2009 at 5:24pm
mojoman wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 9:21am:
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 14, 2009
Filed at 9:59 a.m. ET

MADRID (AP) -- Air pollution has long been a fact of life in Spanish cities, but scientists now say it is not just smog that chokes people as they walk to work or stroll through the park. A new study has found the air in Madrid and Barcelona is also laced with at least five drugs -- most prominently cocaine.

The Superior Council of Scientific Investigations, a government institute, said on its Web site Thursday that in addition to cocaine, they found trace amounts of amphetamines, opiates, cannabinoids and lysergic acid --a relative of LSD -- in two air-quality control stations, one in each city.

But it said there was no reason for alarm.

''Not even if we lived for a thousand years would we consume the equivalent of a dose of cocaine by breathing this air,'' scientist Miren Lopez de Alda said in a statement.

The scientific group stressed that ''in no case should these levels be considered representative of the air in the two cities.'' It said the tests were done in areas where drugs were likely to be consumed.

In Madrid, the test site was close to a ruined building believed to be frequented by drug dealers. And in both Madrid and Barcelona, the studies were carried out close to universities.

The group said the study showed higher concentrations of the components on weekends, suggesting that drug consumption was up in these periods.

The research found cocaine in concentrations ranging between 29 and 850 picogram per cubic meter of air. A picogram is one-trillionth of a gram.

Mar Viana, another researcher who worked on the project, said the levels were far higher than those found in similar studies in Europe. She said one study in Rome and Taranto in 2007 revealed cocaine levels of 100 picograms per cubic meter.

According to the U.S. State Department, Spain is Europe's largest consumer of cocaine and hashish. It is also a major transit point for narcotics shipments from South and Central America as well as Africa.

The scientists detected the drug by placing quartz microfiber filters in the air-testing stations. They said the method was new and could help in measuring drug use in towns and cities in a fast and anonymous way.

The group said the findings would be published in the U.S. journal Analytical Chemistry

:funny

The aftermath of Jostorm's industrial strength brownies at the Rocks Off mini-summit in Madrid two years ago lingers on...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:05pm

Medellin obviously declined to participate in the survey...

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:06pm

LOL being a Chemical Engineer myself I'm laughing out loud about that article... what the government must do is to do anti-doping to the members of that lab

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

It's impossible to have traces of LSD in the air, the dope is micrograms so to have PPM (parts per million) in the air you will have some people under the effects and to have that amount in the air is because the lab is there right there and in that specific moment. Not just that it would be impossible to detect in such an amount, there ain't no analysis equipment to do that.

What you can have in the air is the solvents used in the making of those drugs

So ask the lab technician for some dope Ronnie!  smoking more weed is good for your health Ouch!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:10pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 6:06pm:
It's impossible to have traces of LSD in the air

Not if some Phish wook spills his liquid in the parking lot...
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 6:11pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:11pm
The rain in Spain falls mainly with cocaine.......

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:12pm
mojoman wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 6:11pm:
The rain in Spain falls mainly with cocaine.......

funny

Ouch!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 6:06pm:

LOL being a Chemical Engineer myself I'm laughing out loud about that article... what the government must do is to do anti-doping to the members of that lab

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

It's impossible to have traces of LSD in the air, the dope is micrograms so to have PPM (parts per million) in the air you will have some people under the effects and to have that amount in the air is because the lab is there right there and in that specific moment. Not just that it would be impossible to detect in such an amount, there ain't no analysis equipment to do that.

What you can have in the air is the solvents used in the making of those drugs

So ask the lab technician for some dope Ronnie!  smoking more weed is good for your health Ouch!

I can only imagine what's in the air in Mexico City Voo Blank Frigging Stare

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2009 at 7:34pm
If you wanna hang out, you got to take her out.................

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2009 at 7:54pm
I have been to Barcelona.  I was there for a week.  I was there at the same time as the Rolling Stones, Woody Allen, and Penelope Cruz.  I'm sure their experiences were very different from mine!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #14 - May 14th, 2009 at 9:44pm
gorda wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 7:54pm:
I have been to Barcelona.  I was there for a week.  I was there at the same time as the Rolling Stones, Woody Allen, and Penelope Cruz.  I'm sure their experiences were very different from mine!

woody, penelope, gorda barcelona?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - May 14th, 2009 at 10:08pm
gimmekeef wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 11:55am:
Well that settles my summer vacation plans!......

I'm already planning a trip to Spain in 3 weeks. I'm still working out the details but Madrid is definitely in the picture!!!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2009 at 10:09pm
I'm guessing the air in Omaha is filled with flatulent gas, cat hairs & dribble.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2009 at 10:37pm
Mojoman is on fire tonight..... Grin  Grin

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2009 at 4:11pm

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)