Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Out of Tears or Almost Hear You Sigh?

Out of Tears    
  6 (35.3%)
Almost Hear You Sigh    
  11 (64.7%)

Total votes: 17
« Created by: sweetcharmedlife on: May 12th, 2009 at 10:00pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Out of tears or Almost hear you sigh? (Read 3,110 times)
Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Out of tears or Almost hear you sigh?
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2009 at 7:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on May 17th, 2009 at 1:28pm:
I'm not so sure it's comparable, Mel. Mick and Keith's track record in squeezing collaborators out of the publishing royalties suggests that if someone gets a co-credit along with them, then they've REALLY done something to earn it.

With 'Lonely at the top' its a bit different because the song was originally written for a Rolling Stones project - and presumably was copyrighted. If one of the Glimmer Twins gets a credit or co-credit for a Stones song, then they BOTH get it. Which is a bit unfortunate for Ronnie, for example, with regards to Dirty Work as he co-wrote most of the album with Keith, but ended up seeing the royalties for the songs split three ways between himself, Mick and Keith.

You may be right. Although, Mick and Keith -- well, maybe just Keith -- have gotten more generous about it over the years. Leavell got one -- having asked for one at the outset. Then again, Pierre DeBeauport was surprised when he got one.

But I think the basic legal principle was the same in both the case of "Lonely" and AHYS. It seems to me that the Richards/Jordan was a rubber stamp on the Talk Is Cheap project, no matter who came up with what, in much the same way that the Jagger/Richards byline goes on everything willy-nilly.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:36am
Leavell's co-credit was on "Back To Zero", wasn't it?

Maybe that was Mick's way of saying "Look - we know this one's a turd, so if we give Chuck a writing credit, it'll deflect the blame.."

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #27 - May 18th, 2009 at 8:43am
LOL.

Plus, Mick was so tapped out at that point. He was probably like, "You got something? Anything? I'll take it!"

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:33pm
Gazza wrote on May 16th, 2009 at 8:36pm:
Really? It's on mine, although I dont think I ever bought the Virgin remaster. Maybe its just on the CBS original.

Jordan definitely co wrote it with Keith for Talk is Cheap. There's an outtake of it in circulation. Mick rewrote some of the lyrics and it was 'polished up' for Steel Wheels.

Yeah, I rechecked later & it is on my copy too. I could have sworn it wasn't. Like Ronnie, we're all getting older.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:42pm
Quote:
Gazza wrote on May 16th, 2009 at 8:36pm:
Really? It's on mine, although I dont think I ever bought the Virgin remaster. Maybe its just on the CBS original.

Jordan definitely co wrote it with Keith for Talk is Cheap. There's an outtake of it in circulation. Mick rewrote some of the lyrics and it was 'polished up' for Steel Wheels.

Yeah, I rechecked later & it is on my copy too. I could have sworn it wasn't. Like Ronnie, we're all getting older.

Unfortunately, unlike Ronnie, the women arent getting younger.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)