Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ... ( Stones ) ..... (Read 1,974 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ... ( Stones ) .....
May 10th, 2009 at 11:17am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
................. !!!!

We watched that fabulous " Eric Clapton / Allman Brothers live at the Beacon Theatre [ 03-20-09 ] DVD " AGAIN last night and I swear I heard the ghosts of Duane Allman and Barry Oakley whilst Derek Trucks and Eric jammed on this track ......................................................

Nice .

A Great Song . Discuss .

what ?! ...... oh , sure ! :

" Stones is Stones ....Bigger than ALL of us , Ronnie ! "

J " Snuggles " Fly ! ™
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009 at 2:02pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ... ( Stones ) ...
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2009 at 4:47pm
i don't believe in ghosts.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009 at 6:41pm
Quote:

Are you fucking serious?

That's because you have never been around one. 

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2009 at 7:33pm
" That's because you have never been around one.  "

Hello Wild Bill .

I drank with Keith Moon last Friday Evening  ....does that count ?!

www.BRAZENHEADPUB.com

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2009 at 7:36pm
Great tune! Was it named after someone? A ghost?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2009 at 7:37pm
" Great tune! Was it named after someone? A ghost?  "

I am not sure of the story on this one ..... Bitch !

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2009 at 8:46pm
Wild Bill wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 6:41pm:
Quote:

Are you fucking serious?

That's because you have never been around one.  

am i missing anything?

will ya 2

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2009 at 9:02pm
"Allmans guitarist Dickey Betts wrote this. Elizabeth Reed Napier is buried at the Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia, where Betts would often write. He used the name from her headstone as the title because he did not want to reveal who the song was really about."

Sometimes songs have a meaning, sometimes they don’t, and sometimes we will never know what a song was about.  As I traveled through Macon, Georgia visiting my father, he took me to a place where the song “The Memory of Elizabeth Reed” started where life ends: a cemetery called “Rose Hill Cemetery.”

Everyone dreams of being idolized in a song. Women or men who are portrayed in the harmony of a hit song is the ultimate respect, and must be someone the writers thought highly of.  So what impact did Elizabeth Reed have on this band?

If you don’t know, The Memory of Elizabeth Reed was written by Macon’s own Allman Brothers Band.  A group Georgians adore, and the town of Macon idolizes.  You would figure that when the band was traveling from pub to pub making public appearances, Elizabeth Reed must have been their number one fan, a girlfriend or someone very special to the Allman Brothers.  Why else would they immortalize her in song?  The truth is, Elizabeth Reed never met the Allman Brothers, and they never knew her personally yet she did play a huge part in the success of this great American legend.

In reality, Elizabeth Reed was the wife of Briggs F. Napier, and she died in 1935, almost 30 years before the Allman Brothers would even pick up a guitar.  She is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery located in downtown Macon. It is a beautiful cemetery filled with Civil War heroes, state senators, and other dignitaries of the town. Its vast landscape has rolling hills, and is bordered by a train used by the slaves for the Underground Railroad. It’s this cemetery, the Allman Brothers loved to visit and play their music in.  Yes, you heard me right; they loved to go into the cemetery, bring some friends, and play some music while downing a few cold ones.

Elizabeth Reed’s grave happened to be the spot of choice for the Allman Brothers.  Where she is buried is perfect for what they were looking for acoustically. The wall of the family plot is raised from the slope below making it a great little stage.  The head of the plot is surrounded by another small hill making the acoustics powerful.  And if you look at the grave, they could sit on her stone and not get dirty since they didn’t have to sit on the grass.  It was truly perfect, and people would come every week to hear them practice some of their legendary songs we all know today, and had a grand ol’ time.

So even though she never met the brothers, she never even got to hear their music; nor be wooed by the fact they named a song after her; she greatly impacted the band. America may not have even known the Allman Brothers today without her. They felt they could not honor her in any better way than making a song dedicated to her.  Some Maconites swear to this day, it’s at that grave that the Allman Brothers wrote and perfected their hit songs to propell them to stardom. Elizabeth Reeds grave is the “alleged” start of it all.

Sadly, on October 29, 1971 Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident crashing into a truck.  He is laid to rest in the same cemetery as Elizabeth Reed.  Today his grave is highly guarded and surrounded with a spiked cast iron fence, covered in axle grease to keep people from jumping the fence.  He returned to the place he forever loved to play in, and shall forever rest in peace in the spot some say the Allman Brothers formed.  If you ever get to go to Macon, visit this famous cemetery and see Duane Allman and Elizabeth Reed, knowing this is where it all started.  Rose Hill Cemetery is free to visit from sunrise to sunset.  I suggest since the cemetery is so large that you bring someone you know that knows the layout, because the streets are VERY narrow and hard to navigate cars through.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009 at 9:05pm by Tumbled »  

reede2.jpg (38 KB | )
reede2.jpg

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009 at 9:53pm
Wow thanks tumbled, interesting story, such a wierd almost scary story about Eliz. REED!

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2009 at 10:05pm
The source of that article was 7/11/2008:  http://www.theexpressionist.com/tag/elizabeth-reed-napier/

judging from her birth and death dates, she came of age during the civil war.  tumultuous times. and she was a lucky one, she found someone to marry, most women born that time in that area did not have anyone to get married to by 1865 all the young men were gone or disabled. diary of mary chesnut      anyway.. interesting times

it is a very intersting jazz and blues combo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrcINvsREU isn't it

I highly suggest playing this as you drive down the beach along nags head to ocracoke.

why do these guys die so young.  who know what other shit he had up his sleeve
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009 at 10:22pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:54am
"Allmans guitarist Dickey Betts wrote this. Elizabeth Reed Napier is buried at the Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia, where Betts would often write. He used the name from her headstone as the title because he did not want to reveal who the song was really about."

Sometimes songs have a meaning, sometimes they don’t, and sometimes we will never know what a song was about.  As I traveled through Macon, Georgia visiting my father, he took me to a place where the song “The Memory of Elizabeth Reed” started where life ends: a cemetery called “Rose Hill Cemetery.”

Everyone dreams of being idolized in a song. Women or men who are portrayed in the harmony of a hit song is the ultimate respect, and must be someone the writers thought highly of.  So what impact did Elizabeth Reed have on this band?

If you don’t know, The Memory of Elizabeth Reed was written by Macon’s own Allman Brothers Band.  A group Georgians adore, and the town of Macon idolizes.  You would figure that when the band was traveling from pub to pub making public appearances, Elizabeth Reed must have been their number one fan, a girlfriend or someone very special to the Allman Brothers.  Why else would they immortalize her in song?  The truth is, Elizabeth Reed never met the Allman Brothers, and they never knew her personally yet she did play a huge part in the success of this great American legend.

In reality, Elizabeth Reed was the wife of Briggs F. Napier, and she died in 1935, almost 30 years before the Allman Brothers would even pick up a guitar.  She is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery located in downtown Macon. It is a beautiful cemetery filled with Civil War heroes, state senators, and other dignitaries of the town. Its vast landscape has rolling hills, and is bordered by a train used by the slaves for the Underground Railroad. It’s this cemetery, the Allman Brothers loved to visit and play their music in.  Yes, you heard me right; they loved to go into the cemetery, bring some friends, and play some music while downing a few cold ones.

Elizabeth Reed’s grave happened to be the spot of choice for the Allman Brothers.  Where she is buried is perfect for what they were looking for acoustically. The wall of the family plot is raised from the slope below making it a great little stage.  The head of the plot is surrounded by another small hill making the acoustics powerful.  And if you look at the grave, they could sit on her stone and not get dirty since they didn’t have to sit on the grass.  It was truly perfect, and people would come every week to hear them practice some of their legendary songs we all know today, and had a grand ol’ time.

So even though she never met the brothers, she never even got to hear their music; nor be wooed by the fact they named a song after her; she greatly impacted the band. America may not have even known the Allman Brothers today without her. They felt they could not honor her in any better way than making a song dedicated to her.  Some Maconites swear to this day, it’s at that grave that the Allman Brothers wrote and perfected their hit songs to propell them to stardom. Elizabeth Reeds grave is the “alleged” start of it all.

Sadly, on October 29, 1971 Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident crashing into a truck.  He is laid to rest in the same cemetery as Elizabeth Reed.  Today his grave is highly guarded and surrounded with a spiked cast iron fence, covered in axle grease to keep people from jumping the fence.  He returned to the place he forever loved to play in, and shall forever rest in peace in the spot some say the Allman Brothers formed.  If you ever get to go to Macon, visit this famous cemetery and see Duane Allman and Elizabeth Reed, knowing this is where it all started.  Rose Hill Cemetery is free to visit from sunrise to sunset.  I suggest since the cemetery is so large that you bring someone you know that knows the layout, because the streets are VERY narrow and hard to navigate cars through. "

I would like to nibble your elbows .

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:03am

Elbows are good arent' they.  And so underrated.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:46am
GREAT SONG and a very interesting story.

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

OldSchoolMule
Rocks Off Regular

Leave the gun, take the
cannolis.

HOF City
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2009 at 12:28pm

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2009 at 2:22pm
EVEN MORE information about Elizabeth Reed
(that even Duane probably didn't know about)

the link is:  http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=55593769
which refers to the original article in the 11th Hour a Macon newspaper but the original article can't be found

Monday, August 20, 2007  
the real story of who Elizabeth Reed was!Got to read!
As posted in macon's 11th hour:

..>  For many, the name Elizabeth Reed brings to mind the ultimate extended jam, taking up a solid 13 minutes of the Allman Brothers' Live at Fillmore East album. For avid Allman fans, the song title may bring to mind the fact that this is one of the first original instrumental songs written by a member of the band, guitarist Dickey Betts. But beyond this, who was the real Elizabeth Reed? Who is the woman behind the legend? The real Elizabeth Reed was my great, great grandmother, and the answer to her identity lies deep in Rose Hill cemetery, in an overgrown plot down by the railroad tracks.

Elizabeth Reed Napier, lovingly referred to as 'pretty Bessie Reed' by my grandmother, was born in Madison, Ga., on November 9, 1845. She was fortunate enough to be born into a family that prized education for women, a rarity in a time when this was an idea shared by few. The desire for higher education is what brought Bessie to Macon. She enrolled in Wesleyan College in the fall of 1860, along with her younger sister, Janie Reed. Physics, rhetoric and moral philosophy, mathematics, Latin, French, piano, voice and embroidery were her classes of choice in 1860. She found all of them to be very agreeable, but one of her favorite classes was a math class taught by Professor Smith. Trying to humor his all-female class in a geometry lesson, Professor Smith once drew a circle on the board and said, "Bessie Reed's round face." Of course, everyone laughed. He then drew a tangent to the circle and Bessie saucily exclaimed, "Professor Smith's nose!" Again, everyone laughed and the professor responded, "Pretty good, Bessie. Your repartee is excellent, though your ability for mathematics has yet to be proven."

Bessie's Wesleyan experience included listening to Sidney Lanier play the flute at a talent performance and attending Christmas dinner at Mr. George Hazlehurst's house, who was then president of the Central Railroad. But her time in Macon also included surviving the War Between the States. Wooden planks covered the windows of their rooms, with only a few holes in each board for candles.

One of my personal favorite stories about Elizabeth Reed, a story that still brings my father to tears, is about her courtship with Briggs Napier during the years of the Civil War. Briggs was a handsome fellow who courted Bessie while she was at Wesleyan and was engaged to her before going off to war. During the war, he lost a leg, and returned home desolate, certain that Bessie would no longer have him as he believed she would see him as less of a man. He presented himself to her upon his return, certain that the 22-year Bessie would have her mind changed because of the loss of his leg. Instead, Bessie told him she loved him all the more, and on April 26, 1865, the two were married. The two are still together; their worn gravesites remain side by side in Rose Hill.

Now, after all of the history and stories, I know everyone is still asking the ultimate question - did Dickey Betts write this song for all the women he romanced down by the tracks in Rose Hill? That I can't tell you. But what I can tell you is that Elizabeth Reed is much more than a name on a grave, Elizabeth Reed was a remarkable woman who adds much to the rich cultural history of Macon.  
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009 at 2:27pm by Tumbled »  

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - May 15th, 2009 at 2:33pm
and also, did you know

"Jessica" was inspired by his daughter, Jessica Betts, who was born on May 14, 1972 to first wife Sandy Bluesky Wabegijig, a Native American whom Betts married in 1973.

(Hence the name of the song "Bluesky")

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #16 - May 15th, 2009 at 6:06pm
Dickey Betts is playing at the Birchmere in Sweet VA next Friday 5/22/09

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?keyword=Dickey Betts & Great Southern

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #17 - May 16th, 2009 at 11:59am
" Dickey Betts is playing at the Birchmere in Sweet VA next Friday 5/22/09 "

I would like to caress your kneecaps .

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2009 at 1:34pm
Joey wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 11:17am:
................. !!!!

We watched that fabulous " Eric Clapton / Allman Brothers live at the Beacon Theatre [ 03-20-09 ] DVD " AGAIN last night and I swear I heard the ghosts of Duane Allman and Barry Oakley whilst Derek Trucks and Eric jammed on this track ......................................................

Nice .

A Great Song . Discuss .

what ?! ...... oh , sure ! :

" Stones is Stones ....Bigger than ALL of us , Ronnie ! "

J " Snuggles " Fly ! ™

I believe you mean BERRY Oakley, Joey. Just keepin' the record straight... Cool

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #19 - May 16th, 2009 at 4:25pm
" I believe you mean BERRY Oakley, Joey. Just keepin' the record straight... "

Full Frontal Nuzzle coming your way !!!

Full FRONTAL !!!!!! ™

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #20 - May 16th, 2009 at 4:56pm
The Allmans are cool, but Clapton ain't cool.   That dude sold the blues down the road.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #21 - May 16th, 2009 at 5:33pm
"  but Clapton ain't cool.   That dude sold the blues down the road. "

You make Joey sad.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2009 at 6:20pm
Factory Girl wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 6:06pm:
Dickey Betts is playing at the Birchmere in Sweet VA next Friday 5/22/09

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?keyword=Dickey Betts & Great Southern

oh really is he ?  hm. ver interesting...

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #23 - May 16th, 2009 at 6:30pm
[quote You make Joey sad. [/quote]

I don't want to make Joey sad, but if Joey wants to hear some kick ass blues, please listen elsewhere.  FG recommends Johnny Winter.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - May 16th, 2009 at 7:44pm
FG do you live near Virginia.

could scrape the right off my shoes.    But I don't think I can afford to go, I just went grocery shopping. it costing $34.00 to make granola.    don't you thnk that things are going up up up up up

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)