Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Most Important Decade in R n R History

« Created by: Ten Thousand Motels on: Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:14am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Most Important Decade in R n R History (Read 793 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Most Important Decade in R n R History
Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:14am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Guests can vote.
One option.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:44pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Most Important Decade in R n R History
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:50am
I had a decision of the 60's or 70's, so I picked the 60's, that's when Rock & Roll started for me with the British Invasion, then the psychedelic hippie period & I became hooked, the 70's was a great era too with Glam Rock, punk rock (not Disco, although today I don't mind those songs at all, better then today's crap)

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 8:31pm
Like my age it the 50's

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 9:13pm
60's was the beginning of the Stones era so thats my pick.

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:18pm
Any fans of Wynonie Harris out there?  Joey?

I voted for the '50s because it was the true formative years (Ike Turner, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Johnny Burnette, Bill Haley, Big Mama Thornton, et al.), but ol' Wynonie was rocking back in the 1940s!

From Allmusic.com:

Biography by Bill Dahl

No blues shouter embodied the rollicking good times that he sang of quite like raucous shouter Wynonie Harris. "Mr. Blues," as he was not-so-humbly known, joyously related risque tales of sex, booze, and endless parties in his trademark raspy voice over some of the jumpingest horn-powered combos of the postwar era.

Those wanton ways eventually caught up with Harris, but not before he scored a raft of R&B smashes from 1946 to 1952. Harris was already a seasoned dancer, drummer, and singer when he left Omaha for L.A. in 1940 (his main influences being Big Joe Turner and Jimmy Rushing). He found plenty of work singing and appearing as an emcee on Central Avenue, the bustling nightlife strip of the Black community there. Wynonie Harris's reputation was spreading fast — he was appearing in Chicago at the Rhumboogie Club in 1944 when bandleader Lucky Millinder hired him as his band's new singer. With Millinder's orchestra in brassy support, Harris made his debut on shellac by boisterously delivering "Who Threw the Whiskey in the Well" that same year for Decca. By the time it hit in mid-1945, Harris was long gone from Millinder's organization and back in L.A.

The shouter debuted on wax under his own name in July of 1945 at an L.A. date for Philo with backing from drummer Johnny Otis, saxist Teddy Edwards, and trumpeter Howard McGhee. A month later, he signed on with Apollo Records, an association that provided him with two huge hits in 1946: "Wynonie's Blues" (with saxist Illinois Jacquet's combo) and "Playful Baby." Harris's own waxings were squarely in the emerging jump blues style then sweeping the West Coast. After scattered dates for Hamp-Tone, Bullet, and Aladdin (where he dueled it out with his idol Big Joe on a two-sided "Battle of the Blues"), Harris joined the star-studded roster of Cincinnati's King Records in 1947. There his sales really soared.

Few records made a stronger seismic impact than Harris' 1948 chart-topper "Good Rockin' Tonight." Ironically, Harris shooed away its composer, Roy Brown, when he first tried to hand it to the singer; only when Brown's original version took off did Wynonie cover the romping number. With Hal "Cornbread" Singer on wailing tenor sax and a rocking, socking backbeat, the record provided an easily followed blueprint for the imminent rise of rock & roll a few years later (and gave Elvis Presley something to place on the A side of his second Sun single).

After that, Harris was rarely absent from the R&B charts for the next four years, his offerings growing more boldly suggestive all the time. "Grandma Plays the Numbers," "All She Wants to Do Is Rock," "I Want My Fanny Brown," "Sittin' on It All the Time," "I Like My Baby's Pudding," "Good Morning Judge," "Bloodshot Eyes" (a country tune that was first released on "King" by Hank Penny), and "Lovin' Machine" were only a portion of the ribald hits Harris scored into 1952 (13 in all) — and then his personal hit parade stopped dead. It certainly wasn't Harris' fault — his King output rocked as hard as ever under Henry Glover's supervision — but changing tastes among fickle consumers that accelerated Wynonie Harris's sobering fall from favor.

Sides for Atco in 1956, King in 1957, and Roulette in 1960 only hinted at the raunchy glory of a short few years earlier. The touring slowed accordingly. In 1963, his chaffeur-driven Cadillacs and lavish New York home a distant memory, Harris moved back to L.A., scraping up low-paying local gigs whenever he could. Chess gave him a three-song session in 1964, but sat on the promising results. Throat cancer silenced him for good in 1969, ending the life of a bigger-than-life R&B pioneer whose ego matched his tremendous talent.

IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:25pm
50's is probably the best answer because of the inspiration, but I can't vote against the Beach Boys-Beatles-Stones era.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 5:29pm
i would think the '60's

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:12pm
Yes....the 50's were seminal...the true beginnings, and the influence was great.

But all of that was perfected in the 60's. Smiley I could NEVER vote against the 60's. Wink Cool

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)