Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bernard in the studio with the Stones these days?! (Read 2,684 times)
Strange Skies
Rocks Off Regular

Let's do some living after
we die

Austria
Bernard in the studio with the Stones these days?!
Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Last night I attended the Little Axe - Chess Moves show in Vienna, highly anticipating another musically great evening. (I had already seen them before and they were excellent then).
Well, Doug Wimbish (the best bass player I've ever heard and seen) played incredibly stunning and deeply moving solos and created sounds that I didn't even know you could create with a bass, Keith Leblanc was wonderful on drums and Skip McDonald was alright. They did two sets and the first one was terrible, there was far too much playback and computer backup involved for my taste. Then they had a break and I'm glad to be able to say that the second set was amazing, just as I had reminded the whole TackHead show was like that I saw last year.
Last night's concert was very different. All in all it wasn't bad and of course each of these musicians is excellent, but I simply liked last years' concert better.
And I think that's because it was clear, even all the way through the awesome second set, that the frontman was missing last night.
Bernard wasn't there to sing. I could have been disappointed about it, because I had been looking forward to this show for some 2 months and of course I wanted to see Mr. Fowler again.
But considering this announcement at the entrance I realised I should be happy and excited (Provided it isn't just an uncreative excuse for him not to be there for other reasons which, If the latter should indeed be the case, I've decided to ignore and simply take for real what was written on this sheet of paper).

It says: Unfortunately, Bernard Fowler is indispensable at studio recording sessions of the Stones and therefore isn't present this time.

Well, just thought I'd share this with you.  Definitely sounds very good to me and I want to believe it!   Wink

...&&&&
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: Bernard in the studio with the Stones these da
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:53pm
This is good news! I guess the RS studio recording wasnt planned in advance or Bernard would never have booked a gig the same time. He is a professional and I am happy to know he puts his own career second to the Stones, thats loyalty!

And this would support the album-before-tour theory for the end of 2009 and/or early 2010!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:53pm
We need a fucking tour!  piss off

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:02pm
Yes of course it's true. Because a backup singer is such an integral part of a studio album Roll Eyes

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Strange Skies
Rocks Off Regular

Let's do some living after
we die

Austria
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:07pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
Yes of course it's true. Because a backup singer is such an integral part of a studio album Roll Eyes

Oi, please don't squash our dreams and hopes!  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?  Blank Frigging Stare

...&&&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:08am
Read that post on IORR. Highly unlikely.

There's nothing on Bernard's blog or website to suggest there's been any Stones activity, and considering the fact that he hasnt recorded with the Stones in 12 years, he's hardly as indispensable to the Stones in the studio as the sign implies - especially in what would only be the early stages of recording.

Sounds like the promoter is just covering his ass.

He HAS been working with Ronnie lately on HIS next solo release - so if there's any Stones-related reason for his absence, thats probably it.

And the Stones DONT just record without planning it first.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:22am
Rumors of a Stones recording session really began to swell yesterday when both Michael Davies and Kent Smith were both auspiciously absent from a Jazz Brunch performance at Malibu's I Cugini.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:33am
LOL...and so it begins..

Bernard missed shows over the weekend in Berlin as well. He's working with Ronnie.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:37am
Gazza wrote on Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:33am:
LOL...and so it begins..

"HERE WE GO!!!!"

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:01am by Saint Sway »  

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 10:51am
according to jb, reservations at The Four Seasons are "wide open"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 3:46pm
That would be great! However, as Gazza and others are saying there's just as much chance Bernard is working with Woody on Woody's solo project ...that is "IF" Woody is indeed doing a solo deal? (I'm taking it Gazza is pretty close to being sure of it...?).

Mick and Woody supposedly are working or have been working but we do not even know for sure if they are working together? Mick has been reported as singing on Woody's solo jaunt. Still we are not sure Woody is doing something solo  for sure? For example roughly just four months ago there was still reports going around of a supposed Faces reunion and album... now that's supposedly nixed (at least for right now ).

Nothing has been "confirmed" and there has been loads of talk and some reports: Stones tour, Stones record, Faces tour, Faces record, Mick in the studio, Mick with Dave Stewart, Mick with Woody ....

Until something is "confirmed" from a really reliable source even I am not going to jump the gun here since there all so many story's circulating (some of these stories from "fairly reputable" news agencies/websites).

I'm pretty darn sure something is up at this point...but how can anyone be sure exactly what???

Ian

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2009 at 3:48pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:09pm
From Little Queenie on IORR:

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 14, 2009 15:06

HORSE'S MOUTH - Bernard just confirmed on Facebook that he's working on Ronnie's solo CD.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:12pm
Ronnie is working on a solo album, with Bernard Fowler producing.

As mentioned here several times and having it heard it directly from a conversation from a band member, the Faces' album story was just paper talk. They rehearsed for a couple of days in November Rod then joined them for one day and promptly fucked off and hasnt been in touch since. He's on tour this summer in Europe.

Charlie supposedly played with some jazz band in England at the weelkend, although thats not confirmed.

Keith is in the caribbean.

Ergo, the Stones are not working together at this time - with or without the apparently 'indispensable' Bernard Fowler. Nothing is 'up' apart from Ronnie's album, and I wouldnt hold my breath for that.

Newspaper sources invariably arent worth a damn, no matter how 'reputable' a publication they may be.

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:15pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:41pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:12pm:

Charlie supposedly played with some jazz band in England at the weelkend, although thats not confirmed.

I guess you didn't see this on IORR Gazza:

Here is a review from the Times

Easter Monday at the Bull's Head was magical for anyone interested in boogie woogie piano, and a blast of sheer good fun for those who squeezed into this 120-capacity jazz haunt by the river. The show featured three of the greatest exponents of the keyboard- thumping art: Ben Waters, Axel Zwingenberger and Jools Holland, with a supporting cast including the Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, singer and guitarist Chris Jagger (younger brother of Mick), the bass player Geoff Gascoigne and saxophonists Willie Garnett and Derek Nash.

Waters, who kicked off the show, played with a relaxed bonhomie that rather disguised the rampant virtuosity of his performing style. With wrists of steel and a left hand that seemed to have a mind of its own, he charged around the keyboard in an effortless blur as he romped through a set that included an infectious Sticky Finger Boogie (written by Nash) and a delightful slow blues, That Lucky Old Sun, borrowed from Jerry Lee Lewis.

Zwingenberger, the German boogiemeister, took over at the grand piano for older, more ragtime-influenced themes, including Suitcase Blues and Madhattan Boogie, which he delivered with a broad inscrutable smile. Watts, imperturbable behind his modest Gretsch kit, and Gascoigne on upright bass, remained in place, the backbone of the band. To see Watts at such close hand was to witness the ramshackle simplicity of his playing style in all its glory. How he managed to conjure such tremendous swing with so limited a technique remains a mystery. But conjure it he did.

As the entire ensemble launched into a finale of Down the Road Apiece (when it was being sung by Holland) which suddenly became Let It Rock (when Jagger took over the vocals), the whole room seemed to have turned into a bouncy castle for grown-ups.

Their is also photographic proof, courtesy of Beast.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 10:48pm

As mentioned here several times and having it heard it directly from a conversation from a band member, the Faces' album story was just paper talk. They rehearsed for a couple of days in November Rod then joined them for one day and promptly fucked off and hasnt been in touch since. He's on tour this summer in Europe.

Keith is in the caribbean.

Ergo, the Stones are not working together at this time - with or without the apparently 'indispensable' Bernard Fowler. Nothing is 'up' apart from Ronnie's album, and I wouldnt hold my breath for that.

Newspaper sources invariably arent worth a damn, no matter how 'reputable' a publication they may be.

I didn't know this about BF producing Woody's album. If that is the case then it only makes sense. Especially in that most of the rest of The Stones are no where near them. The owner/manager of the club that had the comment about Fowler recording with The Stones in excusing his absence from that club obviously spruced the story up a bit in making it seem more of a valid reason for Fowler being absent like we presumed. He is recording "with a Rolling Stone" ...unless Mick drops by to do some work. He isn't technically incorrect but The story of why BF couldn't make it was spruced up a bit it seems.

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 6:08am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:41pm:

I guess you didn't see this on IORR Gazza:

Here is a review from the Times

Easter Monday at the Bull's Head was magical for anyone interested in boogie woogie piano, and a blast of sheer good fun for those who squeezed into this 120-capacity jazz haunt by the river. The show featured three of the greatest exponents of the keyboard- thumping art: Ben Waters, Axel Zwingenberger and Jools Holland, with a supporting cast including the Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, singer and guitarist Chris Jagger (younger brother of Mick), the bass player Geoff Gascoigne and saxophonists Willie Garnett and Derek Nash.

Waters, who kicked off the show, played with a relaxed bonhomie that rather disguised the rampant virtuosity of his performing style. With wrists of steel and a left hand that seemed to have a mind of its own, he charged around the keyboard in an effortless blur as he romped through a set that included an infectious Sticky Finger Boogie (written by Nash) and a delightful slow blues, That Lucky Old Sun, borrowed from Jerry Lee Lewis.

Zwingenberger, the German boogiemeister, took over at the grand piano for older, more ragtime-influenced themes, including Suitcase Blues and Madhattan Boogie, which he delivered with a broad inscrutable smile. Watts, imperturbable behind his modest Gretsch kit, and Gascoigne on upright bass, remained in place, the backbone of the band. To see Watts at such close hand was to witness the ramshackle simplicity of his playing style in all its glory. How he managed to conjure such tremendous swing with so limited a technique remains a mystery. But conjure it he did.

As the entire ensemble launched into a finale of Down the Road Apiece (when it was being sung by Holland) which suddenly became Let It Rock (when Jagger took over the vocals), the whole room seemed to have turned into a bouncy castle for grown-ups.

Their is also photographic proof, courtesy of Beast.

Thats the one, thanks. I'd heard yesterday that he'd played somewhere the night before but didnt know the details.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:53am
Gazza Wrote:

"Ronnie is working on a solo album, with Bernard Fowler producing"

This is the most "productive" news, even though it does involve The Rolling Stones as a band per say, we've heard for a while. Not that anyone is doubting this but where did you hear BF is producing Ronnie's album? I did not know, and I missed the comments about it that were on the board previously. I was out of the loop on this so please fill me in (that is, "if" you are at liberty to say. If not, we'll just take your good word on it). Were you informed when you spoke to some of the members of The Faces and possibly they put The Faces reunion murmur to rest and filled you in on what Ronnie was "really" up to these days? Simply curious is all.

Ian
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:56am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 6:47am
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Gazza Wrote:

This is the most "productive" news, even though it does involve The Rolling Stones as a band per say, we've heard for a while. Not that anyone is doubting this but where did you hear BF is producing Ronnie's album? I did not know, and I missed the comments about it that were on the board previously. I was out of the loop on this so please fill me in (that is, "if" you are at liberty to say. If not, we'll just take your good word on it). Ian

Bernard himself has mentioned it to several Stones fans who have been talking to him following some of the shows he's been playing in recent weeks.

I dont know how much theyve done on it though (my guess is not very much). The album's working title is 'More Good News'.

Hopefully the second half of 2009 will see the Stones working on a new album, because they ARE planning to go on the road sometime in 2010.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2009 at 6:49am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 1:11am
Gazza wrote on Apr 17th, 2009 at 6:47am:
Gazza Wrote:

This is the most "productive" news, even though it does involve The Rolling Stones as a band per say, we've heard for a while. Not that anyone is doubting this but where did you hear BF is producing Ronnie's album? I did not know, and I missed the comments about it that were on the board previously. I was out of the loop on this so please fill me in (that is, "if" you are at liberty to say. If not, we'll just take your good word on it). Ian

Bernard himself has mentioned it to several Stones fans who have been talking to him following some of the shows he's been playing in recent weeks.

I dont know how much theyve done on it though (my guess is not very much). The album's working title is 'More Good News'.

Hopefully the second half of 2009 will see the Stones working on a new album, because they ARE planning to go on the road sometime in 2010.

Goody goody for him I guess. But what makes you seem skeptical that Woody's album will finally see the light of day some time? ...(I realize Woody seems to get involved or at times says things that in instances never materialize...is this your reasoning for the pessimism here?)

Ian

IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Sweden
Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 3:25am
where did you hear BF is producing Ronnie's album?

http://www.bernardfowler.com/
It's in the News section.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:35pm
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 1:11am:
Gazza Wrote:

Goody goody for him I guess. But what makes you seem skeptical that Woody's album will finally see the light of day some time? ...(I realize Woody seems to get involved or at times says things that in instances never materialize...is this your reasoning for the pessimism here?)

Ian

Huh?

I didnt say or suggest anything of the sort. I said I didnt think they'd done that much work on it so far.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 12:49am
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:35pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 1:11am:
Gazza Wrote:

Ian

Huh?

I didnt say or suggest anything of the sort. I said I didnt think they'd done that much work on it so far.

What did you mean by this?

"Nothing is 'up' apart from Ronnie's album, and I wouldn't hold my breath for that."

I assume your meaning that they haven't done much as you said and it will be a while until we finally see it then eh?

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:44am
Yes.

Which is completely different from suggesting it will 'never materialise' or 'see the light of day'

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 3:49pm
"More Good News" is the proposed title of Ronnie's next solo thing or the Stones?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 4:44pm
Quote:
"More Good News" is the proposed title of Ronnie's next solo thing or the Stones?

neither - I was thinking of renaming the Obama thread with it, though... Wow!

It's the working title of Ronnie's album, of course. There is no 'next Stones album' at present, so it'd be a bit premature for it to have even a proposed title.

Although my choice would ironically be the same as Neil Young's next release, ie  "Archives Vol. 1 - 1963-72"

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)