Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5 Things You Didn’t Know: Keith Richards (Read 1,448 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
5 Things You Didn’t Know: Keith Richards
Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:32am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
5 Things You Didn’t Know: Keith Richards

By Ross BonanderEntertainment Correspondent
Every Thursday
http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_250/257_5-things-you-didnt-k...

Iconic Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, whose notorious life of excess was matched only by his innovative brilliance as a rhythm guitarist and songwriter has died.

If only one man could epitomize the full spectrum of the rock n roll revolution -- one rebel leader who espoused the cause, enjoyed its spoils, suffered its hardships, and survived to bear witness to it all -- one who, as he grew older remained every bit that original rebel, it was Keith Richards. Heavily under the influence of early American rhythm and blues, he developed a uniquely gritty sound manifested as irresistibly dirty, groove-driven riffs that defined a genre and helped put the Rolling Stones at the top of the heap as the most important rock band the world will ever know.

In honor of Rock and Roll’s greatest rhythm guitarist, we present 5 things you didn’t know about Keith Richards.

1- Keith Richards was a boy soprano

Few images contrast more sharply with Keith Richards’ hard living, drug-addled public persona than that of an innocent, pre-pubescent Keith in a black coat and tie, performing as a so-called ‘boy soprano’ with the Dartford school choir at Westminster Abbey for Queen Elizabeth (In a choir, boy sopranos are boys with higher-pitched unchanged voices than other boys, and they sing the same choral parts as the soprano girls).

His choral experience would pay dividends as a member of the Rolling Stones, contributing both lead and back-up vocals on a number of tracks.

2- Keith Richards didn't want "Satisfaction" released

Another thing you didn’t know about Keith Richards is that, if it had been up to him, rock and roll’s most important song would never have been released.

“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was the Stones’ first international #1 hit, it helped establish their sound and contributed to their rebel reputation. According to BBC radio personality Paul Gambaccini, the sexual double entendre of the song was less of a threat than the way the lyrics were “perceived as an attack on the status quo." Keith Richards himself claimed the famous riff came to him in a dream; when he woke up he quickly recorded it on tape (“two minutes of ‘Satisfaction,’” he once said, “40 minutes of me snoring”).

Yet Keith Richards was so concerned he’d be accused of ripping off a song by Martha and the Vandellas that he lost all faith in the tune, leading to an ultimately losing battle with Mick Jagger over releasing it as a single.

3- Keith Richards always carried a pistol

Another thing you didn’t know about Keith Richards is that for most of his adult life, he was packing heat.

In June of 1964, Keith Richards was backstage at the state fair in San Antonio, Texas when he got into a tussle with a fair attendee. The incident rattled him so much that he went to a local gun shop and bought a Browning Automatic; a weapon he claimed never left his side. Although he purchased the gun to protect himself from a growing legion of unpredictable fans, in the future he would carry it for a slightly different reason: having descended into an enormous drug addiction, he was always sure to be armed when forced to go into the tougher New York City neighborhoods to score heroin.

4- Keith Richards once stayed awake for 9 days

Long a rumor, in a 1998 AOL Live chat with fans Keith Richards confirmed that he had indeed passed nine straight days without sleep (adding, “Don’t try it.”). He didn’t explain why or how he did this, leaving room for some basic conjecture: in the 1960s and 1970s amphetamine-based pills such as Dexedrine and Benzedrine (“bennies”) were loosely prescribed, readily available, and widely abused (recall the well-documented use of such amphetamines by Johnny Cash, Jack Kerouac, and the Beatles). Although unconfirmed, it seems safe to guess that Keith Richards stayed up for 9 days with a little help from pharmaceuticals.

That said, he also may have been an insomniac. He told Interview Magazine’s Dmitri Ehrlich “I never go to bed. I just keep going until I pass out."

5- Keith Richards insured his hands for £1 million

The last thing you didn’t know about Keith Richards was his relationship with insurers.

For many years, Keith Richards had a pretty standard disability policy with Lloyd’s of London insuring -- what else -- his hands (in a Fortune article titled “Inside the Rolling Stones Inc”, he flashed his hands to writer Andy Serwer and said "These are the business.") The policy paid him £1 million if while on tour something happened to his hands and he was unable to play -- and at least once he collected.

Lloyd’s also covered the band’s massive 1989 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour, their first since 1982, but demanded that the band pass physical exams. To everyone’s amazement, including Keith’s, he passed. In 2006 during the phenomenally lucrative Bigger Bang tour, Keith Richards suffered a serious head injury that required surgery. Lloyd’s insisted that Dr. Andrew Law, the performing neurosurgeon, join the band for the remainder of the tour.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Re: 5 Things You Didn’t Know: Keith Richards
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:06am
I'm always stunned by # 4. 
Thanks for sharing.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:18am
Nellcote wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:06am:
I'm always stunned by # 4.  
Thanks for sharing.

Nellcote...the drugs were much better in those days!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:34am
Agreed.
Even with that, it is still amazing.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 10:06am
#4 is amazing, to stay awake that long, I heard of Bowie in the 70's, who was a coke addict, used to stay awake so long he'd naturally hallucinate, see bodies falling out of the sky, I don't know how long he was awake for, but I could actually see that happen, a person's mind plays tricks/games on them when they've been awake for a long period.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 10:49am
Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 11:49am
Nellcote wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:34am:
Agreed.

Actually I have always considered this a major urban legend as its so unlikely...Like the Muddy Waters painting story and having the blood transfusion prior to a tour.....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:28pm
I actually knew every single one of these items. Scary, no?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:41pm
gimmekeef wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 11:49am:
Nellcote wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 8:34am:
Agreed.

Actually I have always considered this a major urban legend as its so unlikely...Like the Muddy Waters painting story and having the blood transfusion prior to a tour.....

I'd add the one bout him singing at the Queen's coronation to that list as well. Its just never added up to me and always seemed highly implausible - and has never been really challenged. You'd think his proud parents would have had a photo of the occasion for starters which would have made it into the public domain by now.

9 a half year old soprano from Dartford (which is near London but not IN London) at an run of the mill primary school being one of the groups of kids picked to sing at the coronation? Highly unlikely.

The Muddy Waters story has been debunked as absolute nonsense by Bill Wyman and Marshall Chess. Bill German's book also tells Ronnie's account of the infamous incident where Charlie clocked Mick on the kisser in Amsterdam - which doesnt read quite as dramatic as Keith's version which has him (Keith) grabbing Mick just in time to prevent him from falling out the window and into the canal.

Keith's an absolute bullshitter at times, but it has to be said, a highly entertaining and quotable one. His autobiography will probably have a pinch of salt given away for free with every copy.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:57pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:41pm:
Keith's an absolute bullshitter at times, but it has to be said, a highly entertaining and quotable one. His autobiography will probably have a pinch of salt given away for free with every copy.

or a pinch of ashes

IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Alcoholic Cunts Like Knives

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:24pm

why did it say he died?

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:35pm
homesickjameswilliamson wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:24pm:
why did it say he died?

dc-keith2.jpg (80 KB | )
dc-keith2.jpg

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 6:25pm
Quote:
I actually knew every single one of these items. Scary, no?

I think we've all read those five "facts". I agree---I think one or two are highly suspect.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 1:35am
Ya reckon he cashed in his money for his hands?

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

DeRick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 9:31am
I don't believe in the existince of zombies, but in Richards' case, i'll make an exception. Appearantly they can reanimate corpses. Richards is proof of this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)