Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marianne to play free London show - April 15th (Read 1,082 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Marianne to play free London show - April 15th
Mar 31st, 2009 at 11:01am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Marianne Faithfull is set to play a free in-store gig at London's Rough Trade East record shop on April 15.

Entrance to the show, which will celebrate the launch of Faithfull's new album Easy Come Easy Go will be by wristband only, which can be collected 1 hour prior to the 7pm show.

The in-store performance, accompanied by her regular band, precedes Faithfull's previously announced show at the Royal Festival Hall on July 20.

More information about the album and shows from:www.mariannefaithfull.org.uk and www.roughtrade.com

www.uncut.co.uk

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Re: Marianne to play free London show - April 15th
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 12:24pm
I, along with Bitch, saw MF on Friday night. She (MF) said it was one of the best nights of her life. She seemed a bit nervous in the beginning but warmed up nicely. She did a lot of songs from the new album which I don't yet have but I recognized many others. It was well worth the schlep!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 12:44pm
I was SO there in spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got your voicemail Blue. No problem. So happy you enjoyed the show!!! Wink

LJ.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 5:18pm

Marianne's on Letterman tonight.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 5:20pm
i will be watching letterman tonight.

are you going to this concert G?

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:46am
Me?

Well, no - I live 400 miles and a 75 minute flight away from London, so its not exactly local.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:49am
Quote:
I, along with Bitch, saw MF on Friday night. She (MF) said it was one of the best nights of her life. She seemed a bit nervous in the beginning but warmed up nicely.

I noticed that about her when she played here about 3 years ago - opening night of the Belfast festival, with a big orchestra and a 40-piece choir.

She looked so nervous to begin with that I just assumed at first she was plastered - to the extent where I thought she might fall over.  The show was broadcast live on the radio as well, which can't have helped.

After she got into her stride about 3-4 songs in though, she was great.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 11:56am
I was watching Letterman last night.....and watching and watching.... Roll Eyes And then we had some LONG stupid local commercial for the lottery, and by the time we joined the national broadcast, Marianne was into her song. I was NOT happy. I wish they had had her as a guest as well as just singing a song from her new project. Would have loved to ask her some questions myself! But I thought she looked fab {has she had "work" done recently??} and seemed quite comfortable.

I just stared at her, and thought about ALL the history she was a part of. It was overwhelming.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:22pm
i have to admit after lss announced she was going to be on the letterman show yesterday i was excited.  i'm sorry i stayed up for this.  she is horrible.  i wouldn't go to a free concert of her's.  i mean what the hell kind of singing do you call that?  she was singing in some language that no one could understand and she sounds like a man.  paul shaffer was busting out the stones tunes before the commercial breaks which was cool.   she needs to pack it in and start gardening or take up knitting.  i don't see where all this hype is coming from.

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:58pm
Sioux wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 11:56am:
I was watching Letterman last night.....and watching and watching.... Roll Eyes And then we had some LONG stupid local commercial for the lottery, and by the time we joined the national broadcast, Marianne was into her song. I was NOT happy.

Here's the full version of 'The Crane Wife'.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 9:50pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:58pm:
Sioux wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 11:56am:
I was watching Letterman last night.....and watching and watching.... Roll Eyes And then we had some LONG stupid local commercial for the lottery, and by the time we joined the national broadcast, Marianne was into her song. I was NOT happy.

Here's the full version of 'The Crane Wife'.

Thanks platter.....Smiley

Yeah, Marianne's voice doesn't even resemble the soft, waif-like voice she had in the 60's. But I think she sounds stronger than she did 10 years ago. And she looks good and healthy, so she must be taking care of herself. Another miracle of the 60's--living and walking and breathing after a hard life!

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 12:25am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNKg_C5PGDw

'Easy Come Easy Go' is the song that Marianne said is to be the 'hit single' from her new CD,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4cEMAWbApE

Broken English

From opening night of the tour, March 27, 2009

The song called 'EASY COME EASY GO' is the song she sang on Letterman too. The reason she chose that song in particular is because it is supposed to be the 'hit single' from her new CD. Thats what she said at the opening night of her tour at City Winery. I went to the show out of curiosity, since I never saw her perform, and because of the Stones-connection. Her song choices echo the darker side of life, and she has a KEEF-like quality to her, raspy voice yet soothing, very humble and wins the affection of the crowd. Not a perfect show, but shes got a deep strong spirit and is a survivor. I loved it! The fact that she slept with MICK, KEEF and BRIAN never left my mind, imaging her as a young sexy woman, and now shes (?? not sure of her age) but she still looks good. IMO. Her version of Sister Morphine was the best I've ever heard.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 6:00am

Nice vids.

'Easy Come, Easy Go' is the title song from her new album, but it's not the song in your first video.
That's a cover of 'The Crane Wife 3' by The Decemberists.

Same song she performed on Letterman...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:36am
Bitch wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 12:25am:

The fact that she slept with MICK, KEEF and BRIAN never left my mind.

Which reminds me.

The night I saw her, at the end of the show she was presented with flowers and got a standing ovation. She shook hands with a few people in the front rows, and naturally enough, I grabbed her right hand and kissed it.

About ten seconds later, it dawned on me that that right hand had probably seen some serious action in the mid 60s.

Shit!

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:24pm
That song is by the Decembrists? I've heard of them but don't know their music. Unlike platter, I liked her version on Letterman although his show is awfully tired. I FFed through most of it until the guests. And I'm surprised that he didn't interview MF. What a missed opportunity.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:36pm
Quote:
That song is by the Decembrists?

Yep, from their album 'The Crane Wife'.
Excellent, btw.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 3

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:36am
Quote:
i have to admit after lss announced she was going to be on the letterman show yesterday i was excited.  i'm sorry i stayed up for this.  she is horrible.  i wouldn't go to a free concert of her's.  i mean what the hell kind of singing do you call that?  she was singing in some language that no one could understand and she sounds like a man.  

Just watched it on you tube.

Sounded like perfectly intelligible English to my ears.
By the sound of things you're totally unfamiliar with her voice. What sort of music were you expecting?

I can take or leave some of her stuff but I thought she and her band sounded terrific. terrific song too.

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 7:59am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:36pm:
Quote:
That song is by the Decembrists?

Yep, from their album 'The Crane Wife'.
Excellent, btw.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 3

Marianne's music is an acquired taste.  The Decemberists are a very talented story-telling rock group and also a bit of "personal taste" for most people.  Obviously, I like them both.  And the new albums of both are great!

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 10:31am
I can't say that I'm familiar at all with her music. Probably wouldn't like it all that much. I don't know.
But I like her....or at least everything I've read about her. Even though I'm not a big fan of Dolly Parton's music I like her too. I'd go see Marianne or Dolly live....just to say I saw them....if for nothing else. You might call those two living legends.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 8:50am
Have you ever been to an actual concert?

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 11:20am
Quote:
Have you ever been to an actual concert?

Oh, a few here and there. Not for a long time though.....apart from a few bar bands. I used to like going to a blues club in the Old Port (Portland ME) on the weekends when I lived there. I can't even remember the name of the place now. I got to see alot of great blues bands there....but they were obscure even then (late 80's early 90's)...and I imagine most of them no longer even exist.  
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2009 at 11:21am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 2:02pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 4th, 2009 at 7:59am:
Marianne's music is an acquired taste.

you can say that again.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 4:55pm
I acquired it back in 1980 with Broken English.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 7:31pm
Sister Morphine and The Twinks
Posted By: Gerry Visco
New York Press
April 5, 2008

Pics @ end of article.
http://www.nypress.com/blog-3831-sister-morphine-and-the-twinks.html

Braving nightlife on Saturday is for amateurs. Going out until 5 a.m. on a Monday—now that’s a party. But my pint of Haagen Dazs and Saturday Night Live would have to wait tonight. Sister Morphine herself was playing in Soho at City Winery.

Sister Morphine is the nickname of and song by Ms. Marianne Faithfull, the legendary singer with the whiskey-soaked voice. Her show was sold out, but there were a couple of standing-room only spots at City Winery, a new, 21,000-square-foot bar/restaurant in Soho.

Faithfull has been performing for 45 years, but I’ve never seen the queen of Swinging London in person. And I’ve always admired her ability to switch gears in her life and music. Oh, what a life! Teenaged flower child pop star in 1964, she was girlfriend to Mick Jagger during the partying hard days. In a 1967 drug bust at Keith Richards mansion, she was arrested stark naked except for a fur rug and supposedly with a Mars bar stuffed in one of her orifices. Married three times to men other than Jagger, she’s been linked romantically to Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Anita Pallenberg, David and Angela Bowie and Jimi Hendrix among other scenesters. During the 1970s she became a junkie living on the street, but Faithfull came back fighting with the release of her powerful album Broken English in 1979. Mickey Rourke ain’t the only champ of comebacks—Faithfull’s been to hell and back and it shows.

City Winery was packed with the well-heeled, many of them gray-haired and balding, and a smattering of few young ‘uns. “It’s an absolutely crack band,” my 20-something friend James enthused. Jazz guitarist genius Marc Ribot was playing lead. Then there’s that gritty voice. Courtney Love, look out! Faithfull just released her 22nd album, a new CD called Easy Come, Easy Go, with 18 songs covering artists like The Decemberists, Neko Case, Billie Holiday, Merle Haggard, Espers, Bessie Smith, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Dolly Parton and the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. The music was certainly solid but another plus at City Winery is the vino. As per usual, I was broke and asked for their cheapest. “We don’t have house wine,” the bartender said without a trace of condescension. Only $7 for a white and $8 for a red, both delicious, and nothing like the usual dive bar acidy piss. The night would have been perfect except when the manager put his hand in front of my lens so I couldn’t take any more photos. The goddess of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll looked damn good, even classy with her smooth blonde hair. “No flash, you can’t use flash!” the dude scolded. How ironic that Faithfull’s management emailed two days later asking permission to use my photo on her official website.

More bouncer than promoter, the hulking manager blocked our way to the after party. I watched helplessly as Lou Reed walked by. “Hello,” I said to him. Grunt. Rufus Wainwright followed—you can barely go out without seeing one of them these days. James and I were like Dickensian street urchins, noses pressed up against the glass as we watched the VIPs sip vintage brew in front of the huge casks in the back room. But the bastards weren’t going to stop me from having fun. Onto something more now.

Related content
Theater: Split DecisionComing DownBash Compactor: A Ball for the BulgeCon MenBash Compacor: Death By Paper CutsPassing The Bar: Raines Law RoomRelated to:
nypressnew yorkmarianne faithfullcity winery
There was another monthly party close by in the West Village called, rather whimsically, Less Artists More Condos. This was where 21-year old DIY electro nerd punks swayed in a trance to raucous noise bands. This was where Faithfull would be if she, too, was forever 21. The kid I met at John Cameron Mitchell’s party last week spotted me and I asked him to tag along. “Great show!” he blurted out. He laughed about the yuppie woman up front who was shocked when Faithfull said the “c” word in “Why’d Ya Do It.”

“What is this, 1967? Hasn’t everyone heard of cunts by now?” Louis asked.

We waded through a sea of NYU students on the sidewalk into a nondescript building up a steep set of stairs and entered a room that looked like an Ikea advertisement, with a sectional sofa and orange Formica tabletop in the kitchen. There was even a toaster. This was nothing like the filthy hellholes that were the norm. No ciggie butts on the floor here. The bathroom was immaculate and even had a working shower. What was the world coming to when an underground party was in a clean comfy place? It looked like someone’s condo. Hey, I think it IS someone’s condo. My two hipster pals seated on the floor near the band, The Sightings, whose music was a steady screech of discordant white boy blues.

“Is that your new boy toy?” one friend was annoyed. “Isn’t he a little young?” The room was black with red lighting and the scary-looking drummer was beating the living hell out of those drums. I enjoyed the music but it was a bit rambling and repetitive so we went out to get a drink by the breakfast nook.

My friend thought Sightings was a bit “dated, though its albums are good.” Were the distortion of the speakers and sound levels intentional? “The place is like quarantine for 17-year-olds,” the other said.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)