Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Universal To Release SF, GHS, IORR, B&B May 5 (Read 4,859 times)
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New York
Universal To Release SF, GHS, IORR, B&B May 5
Mar 18th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
According to this site today:

http://www.musictap.net/

UMe will release Sticky Fingers, GHS, IORR and B&B on May 5 - anyone know if these are to be remastered/bonus tracked? Sorry if this is old news or if I missed anything - haven't had the time to hang here much lately...

1969 FKA Egbert

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

New York
Re: Universal To Release SF, GHS, IORR, B&B May 5
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 10:07pm
I guess reissue, not release, would be the correct terminology - it's late and I still haven't made my NCAA picks...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:55am
ok, we got movement.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:02am
Quote:
According to this site today:

http://www.musictap.net/

UMe will release Sticky Fingers, GHS, IORR and B&B on May 5 - anyone know if these are to be remastered/bonus tracked? Sorry if this is old news or if I missed anything - haven't had the time to hang here much lately...

1969 FKA Egbert

Dont know about remastered, but from what I believe, there's nothing extra.

Good to see they're putting a lot of effort into persuading people to buy this stuff yet again.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:13am
why cam't the stones do something like this?
WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?
WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?
WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sell-Out-Who/dp/B001QBC4AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qi...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:13am
mojoman wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:13am:
why cam't the stones do something like this?
WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sell-Out-Who/dp/B001QBC4AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qi...

you'll get nothing and like it.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:23am
Yup..middle of a recession...people outta work..but somehow they are sposed to pony up for their 5th copy of Goat's Head Soup?....Does Best Buy tarp off poor selling items?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:32am
Some Guy wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:55am:
ok, we got movement.

No comment from Joey to that one? Dude's slipping....

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:37am
gimmekeef wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:23am:
Yup..middle of a recession...people outta work..but somehow they are sposed to pony up for their 5th copy of Goat's Head Soup?....Does Best Buy tarp off poor selling items?

Must be more than the 5th, surely. The original LP from 1973, the reissue when RSR changed to WEA, and presumably Sony issued the albums on vinyl as well, no?

Then there's the Sony and Virgin versions of the CD.

So this would be at least the 6th- and thats not counting the cassettes, 8-tracks and all the other obsolete formats.

It really makes you wonder why the fuck Universal bothered.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:10pm
I also wonder why Exile wasn't included in this?  I bet there will be a 2-disc edition with a remixed version of the album.

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 8:54pm
gimmekeef wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:23am:

That does come to mind. But as you know a recession can (and normally does) play a huge role in the sale of large items (homes, cars, TV's,  especially expensive vacations etc. etc).

However it's often overlooked that certain smaller items ($30.00 and under), especially family entertainment things like DVD's (or in this case CD's) get effected at times but often they do not get hit nearly as much by these recessions because they remain a relatively cheap form of entertainment. Many times much cheaper than even going out to eat for a small family. Maybe this is what they are banking on being as there really isn't a whole lot going on as far as major, major new releases this summer. As well U2, Metallica, AC/DC will of already had their prime sales as far as older acts still surfacing on the charts go. So with all that said maybe they think that will be as good as time as any to go ahead with some Stones re-issues.

...that is if they must re-issue them again due to it is in the contract they agreed upon before all this went down with the economy. At the time of The Stones signing with Universal the big bad dark snow ball was just beginning to roll and nobody seen this as being this much of an economic down turn coming down the pike.

Just some thoughts in adding comment is all.

Ian
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:53am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:08pm
I don't mind reissuing classics but if it's the same version the 8th or 9th time out, why bother?

IP Logged

mmdog
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:25pm

I don't get the anger over this.  We would all agree that the Stones catalog should be available for people to buy?  It' s not like the Stones are about to go on a media blitz to promote Goat's Head Soup.  A new record company means a new label on the jewel case.  It's not like they are rehashing old material.

IP Logged

Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:57pm
Alright! More reissues to add the old reissues of reissues of other reissues

Whoopie fuckin do, can't wait!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:06pm
mmdog wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:25pm:
I don't get the anger over this.  We would all agree that the Stones catalog should be available for people to buy?  It' s not like the Stones are about to go on a media blitz to promote Goat's Head Soup.  A new record company means a new label on the jewel case.  It's not like they are rehashing old material.

WTF?

If this isnt 'rehashing old material' , then what is?

Whats so attractive about a new logo on a jewel case?

They presumably want to entice people to buy this- ie, all five of those fans left who want them but who still dont own them even though theyve had ample opportunity in the last 35 years to do so. They also presumably would like the rest of us to buy them again for the zillionth time. How about dangling a carrot like bonus material? I already own three versions of these albums. Why should I buy a fourth?

Every other fuckin' act on the planet manages to do this..the Stones - again - give you fuck all of an incentive when it comes to buying their music. They also remain the only major act in the world to refuse to touch their archives. This is another wasted opportunity to do so.

By the time they get around to it, there'll be no one left to care.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:07pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:23am

mmdog wrote:

"It's not like they are rehashing old material."

I'd guess your being sarcastic here with this comment.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 5:27am
I wouldnt consider this at all. The only way would be if it was a 5.1 mix or something special.
Maybe they are re-re-releasing this stuff so they can get new fans and they can then do "Brown Sugar" & "It's only rock and roll" live on their next tour? Wouldnt that be a treat?

Oh, and just a side note. When you hit the link, did you read the "TOP 10" albums from "Troy"??

What a fucking wanker!

Move along people, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2009 at 5:30am by corgi37 »  

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 2:20pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:06pm:
I don't get the anger over this.  We would all agree that the Stones catalog should be available for people to buy?  It' s not like the Stones are about to go on a media blitz to promote Goat's Head Soup.  A new record company means a new label on the jewel case.  It's not like they are rehashing old material.

WTF?

They presumably want to entice people to buy this- ie, all five of those fans left who want them but who still dont own them even though theyve had ample opportunity in the last 35 years to do so. They also presumably would like the rest of us to buy them again for the zillionth time. How about dangling a carrot like bonus material? I already own three versions of these albums. Why should I buy a fourth?

Every other fuckin' act on the planet manages to do this..the Stones - again - give you fuck all of an incentive when it comes to buying their music. They also remain the only major act in the world to refuse to touch their archives. This is another wasted opportunity to do so.

i'll always care, but the general masses might not be waiting with baited breath.

if the new issues had a bonus song or 2 on any of them i would buy some...otherwise i will not be buying any of them.  i think i have these anyway.  when sticky fingers and goats head soup came out on record form back in the day i must have bought each one 3-4 times because they got scratched.  i think i even bought the cassette tapes and they always streatched.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2009 at 2:21pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 3:11pm
Quote:
Gazza wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:06pm:

WTF?

i'll always care, but the general masses might not be waiting with baited breath.
if the new issues had a bonus song or 2 on any of them i would buy some...otherwise i will not be buying any of them.  i think i have these anyway.  when sticky fingers and goats head soup came out on record form back in the day i must have bought each one 3-4 times because they got scratched.  i think i even bought the cassette tapes and they always streatched.

So will I, but thats the point. Theyre showing no sign of making the effort and their fanbase - including you & I who are probably slightly below the average age of it - arent getting any younger. As they're not really concerned with attracting new fans and sales overall are plummeting, you have to wonder if they've missed the boat commercially when it comes to this sort of thing. In ten or twenty years time, the amount of people who will be interested in buying 40 or 50 year old outtakes or recordings of concerts of the same vintage will be minimal.

Most of their fanbase will be either dead or deaf and not many people under 50 will give a shit. If their music is going to be remembered in generations to come in the way it deserves, they're going to seriously need to re-evaluate the way it's marketed and will need to do so very soon. if THEY can't be arsed doing so, they should entrust it to people who care about it enough to make the effort (Grateful Dead's 'Dicks Picks' and Dylan's 'Bootleg Series' projects being examples of how to do it properly)

... ... ...
IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 3:22pm
"Most of their fanbase will be either dead or deaf and not many people under 50 will give a shit. If their music is going to be remembered in generations to come in the way it deserves, they're going to seriously need to re-evaluate the way it's marketed and will need to do so very soon. if THEY can't be arsed doing so, they should entrust it to people who care about it enough to make the effort (Grateful Dead's 'Dicks Picks' and Dylan's 'Bootleg Series' projects being examples of how to do it properly)"

Would any bonus material be at the discretion of the band ( mick & keith ) or the record company? Maybe they don't have a say in the reissues?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 3:34pm
No, they probably have wide latitude. Don't know for sure though.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 3:36pm
I'd bet my house that the band has the final decision on what of their own material they want to issue.

From the label's perspective, if you were an executive signing the Stones to a reissue program and were given the choice of either putting out the albums in exactly the same format as has been released time and time again OR putting them out with bonus unreleased material, I cant imagine anyone would choose the first option as a better move business-wise.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #22 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 6:21pm
Why are the Boys holding out?   I can't think of a valid reason to hold back any longer.   

There is such a thing as WAITING TOO LONG.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 6:24pm
dudes are old.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 6:43pm
Their age is no excuse. 

Hugh Hefner is old enogh to be their dad, and he's got 19 year twins crawling all over him, and thats not all!

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)