Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Dirt! (Read 4,097 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: New Dirt!
Reply #25 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 4:26pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 4:23pm:
Gazza wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 4:05pm:
No inkling of any recording activity whatsoever - as a band or solo, and their only public appearances together have been at four (?) film premieres in spring 2008.

They've got time.
After all, Ronnie and Rod knocked out the new Faces album in three days time...

Smiley

Ouch!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:26am
Gazza Wrote:

No, its more a reflection on the sobering fact that at this stage in their career the media have little or no interest in whether the Rolling Stones ever make a new record again. A Stones tour is the media event. Most of the people who attend Rolling Stones concerts dont even buy the album they're 'promoting', so it's irrational to think the press care that much about it either.

Response - Well not entirely. They still ask Barry Manilow ...they still ask Pearl Jam, ....they still ask Jerry Lee Lewis   and  others that are not as big as they once were or really relevant these days. It's a common question you'd ask any working group or artist. They would ask The Stones as well.

Gazza Writes:

I'm bewildered how you've managed to interpret someone NOT asking about something as some form of evidence that 'something' IS about to be announced.

Response - Because they have a new record contract that says something must go down as far as a new album goes... and no media is asking anything about a future tour, or album (again, it's probably the most common question you'd ask an artist or group if you had the chance ....especially the group with the most monetary pushing potential the world has ever seen when they tour). 

Don't get me wrong, I do not think any major press conference is scheduled next week ...but I do expect someone from their camp to at least mention, or give a definitive statement in that they are working on something recording or tour wise fairly soon enough.

Ian
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:45am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:46pm
Ian - the wider 'media' only still write about the Rolling Stones if its concerned with their private lives. Otherwise, they couldnt give a shit. The average journalist hasnt a clue what record label they're on and couldnt care less if they make another record. It speaks volumes that its now almost a year since they inked a deal with Universal - and no one knows how much it was for and what the conditions of the deal was (you seem certain that it includes new releases...it probably has, but nothing has been made public. I'd imagine its primarily aimed at reissues or, hopefully, archives)

Your mission should you choose to accept it - do a news search on the internet and find a recent article in any newspaper which features any news journalist in any country in the world speculating on whether or not the Rolling Stones are making or will make a new record.

Their musical creativity is of no relevance to their target readership. If they tour, its a news story - news stories which tend to centre around how much money they will make, how old they are or how bedraggled they look. They have no interest in anything that relates to musical output.

The music press isnt much better. If you think those people are remotely interested in what the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis or Barry Manilow are doing, then I give up. If the Stones were to confirm a new record, then yes, its a feature with a short-lived lifespan (ideally if they can get an interview) but the entertainment media in general isnt anxiously salivating a new Rolling Stones release for any other reason.

As for the Stones 'camp'...you must be joking. You should know better by now. Those useless wankers and charlatans on their official site wont give you any information on the Stones unless they can tie it in with some flimsy excuse to get you to splash out on your credit card. A "Stones are recording a new album" story never comes from that source. You'll get it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:02pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 4:54pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:46pm:
Ian - the wider 'media' only still write about the Rolling Stones if its concerned with their private lives. Otherwise, they couldnt give a shit. The average journalist hasnt a clue what record label they're on and couldnt care less if they make another record. It speaks volumes that its now almost a year since they inked a deal with Universal - and no one knows how much it was for and what the conditions of the deal was (you seem certain that it includes new releases...it probably has, but nothing has been made public. I'd imagine its primarily aimed at reissues or, hopefully, archives)

Your mission should you choose to accept it - do a news search on the internet and find a recent article in any newspaper which features any news journalist in any country in the world speculating on whether or not the Rolling Stones are making or will make a new record.

Their musical creativity is of no relevance to their target readership. If they tour, its a news story - news stories which tend to centre around how much money they will make, how old they are or how bedraggled they look. They have no interest in anything that relates to musical output.

The music press isnt much better. If you think those people are remotely interested in what the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis or Barry Manilow are doing, then I give up. If the Stones were to confirm a new record, then yes, its a feature with a short-lived lifespan (ideally if they can get an interview) but the entertainment media in general isnt anxiously salivating a new Rolling Stones release for any other reason.

As for the Stones 'camp'...you must be joking. You should know better by now. Those useless wankers and charlatans on their official site wont give you any information on the Stones unless they can tie it in with some flimsy excuse to get you to splash out on your credit card. A "Stones are recording a new album" story never comes from that source. You'll get it elsewhere.

Your right rollingstones.com is useless unless they are attempting to sell you something. They print news that we have normally long since known (whatever the story) as if none of us die hard Stones fans / Internet junkies heard about it.

I was speaking of possibly Don Was, or maybe someone like Chuck Levell or possibly a top rep from Universal mentioning The Stones are at work on a new album is what I was meaning. I am sure they are legally bound not to spill the beans too much but that never really stopped people as such from "blurbing" or "off-handidly mentioning" about it in the past.

Ian
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 5:27pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 5:54pm
Quote:
I was speaking of possibly Don Was, or maybe someone like Chuck Levell or possibly a top rep from Universal mentioning The Stones are at work on a new album is what I was meaning. I am sure they are legally bound not to spill the beans too much but that never really stopped people as such from "blurbing" or "off-handidly mentioning" about it in the past.

Ian

That would indeed be the more likely scenario, Ian.

I distinctly recall a story from one of the guys on IORR when they'd just finished mastering ABB, when he posted how he'd saw Was walking to his car on coming from the studio in LA, chatted to him about the new Stones album, and Was then offered to let him hear some of it. He put a CD into his car stereo and cranked up the just-mastered "She Saw Me Coming".

Something of a world exclusive, probably!

I tried to get some info out of Ian McLagan last month in case he'd heard of any plans, because he's usually pretty open with info. He just shrugged and said "I havent a fuckin clue". ....
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:06pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:21pm
Ian, will you get the new U2 this week?

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:09am
Some Guy wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:21pm:

Never cared for u2 much actually although I did buy their last album HTDAAB for the first time in their career. I always thought (and still do) that they are incredibly over-rated. I will listen to it if it is playing and I am curious. However, they really just don't do it for me. I know they are a good band, but I have a hard time getting myself to say they are a totally super great group. In fact, I some what get turned off by how the media and others try and blow them up. I think they are pretty one/two dimensional and some what lame in actuality.  "Get On Your Boots" isn't top notch in my ears. How about yourself, are you going to get it and what do you think of their new single? I won't knock you if you buy it.

Ian
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:20am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:15am
Gazza wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 5:54pm:
[quote author=Ian Billen link=1235603541/25#28 date=]I was speaking of possibly Don Was, or maybe someone like Chuck Levell or possibly a top rep from Universal mentioning The Stones are at work on a new album is what I was meaning. I am sure they are legally bound not to spill the beans too much but that never really stopped people as such from "blurbing" or "off-handidly mentioning" about it in the past.

Ian

That would indeed be the more likely scenario, Ian.

I distinctly recall a story from one of the guys on IORR when they'd just finished mastering ABB, when he posted how he'd saw Was walking to his car on coming from the studio in LA, chatted to him about the new Stones album, and Was then offered to let him hear some of it. He put a CD into his car stereo and cranked up the just-mastered "She Saw Me Coming".

Something of a world exclusive, probably!

It is funny you mention that. I never forgot that. I remember that very post as well. Don Was was alone and noted to them how they were basically the first in the outside world to hear it. He played it for them with his window down right there in the parking lot. The listener commented on the board how Jaggers Vocals were "sharp in the mix" and the guitars were up. I remember that as well. This is a scenario I was meaning, in which someone "spills the beans" in saying they are at work on a new album right now. Someone who would know.

Ian

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 10:18am
this is gonna bring Sir Stonesalot back

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:45pm
Ian Billen wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:09am:

Never cared for u2 much actually although I did buy their last album HTDAAB for the first time in their career. I always thought (and still do) that they are incredibly over-rated. I will listen to it if it is playing and I am curious. However, they really just don't do it for me. I know they are a good band, but I have a hard time getting myself to say they are a totally super great group. In fact, I some what get turned off by how the media and others try and blow them up. I think they are pretty one/two dimensional and some what lame in actuality.  "Get On Your Boots" isn't top notch in my ears. How about yourself, are you going to get it and what do you think of their new single? I won't knock you if you buy it.

Ian

don't like the new song, but it will be good live. I may wait to get it after I hear more. The last album just didn't move me. I still really dig All That You Can't Leave Behind, really!
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2009 at 7:53am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:53pm
Some Guy wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:45pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:09am:

Never cared for u2 much actually although I did buy their last album HTDAAB for the first time in their career. I always thought (and still do) that they are incredibly over-rated. I will listen to it if it is playing and I am curious. However, they really just don't do it for me. I know they are a good band, but I have a hard time getting myself to say they are a totally super great group. In fact, I some what get turned off by how the media and others try and blow them up. I think they are pretty one/two dimensional and some what lame in actuality.  "Get On Your Boots" isn't top notch in my ears. How about yourself, are you going to get it and what do you think of their new single? I won't knock you if you buy it.

Ian

don't like the new song, but it will be good live. I may wait to get it after I hear more.

this aint bringing JB back.............

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:25pm
This just in...

http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Celebrities/0,,2-1225-2108_2479679,00...

Ronnie out of the woods
04/03/2009 14:00  - (SA)  

London - Ronnie Wood is "in great shape" and has given up drinking.  Smiley
The 61-year-old rocker - who has an ongoing alcohol problem and reportedly faced being axed from The Rolling Stones after he fell off the wagon last year - is alcohol-free, according to one-time Faces band mate Ian McLagan.
"Ronnie is in great shape and good spirits. He's not currently drinking," said keyboard player Ian - who has been in contact with Ronnie about a possible reunion.
"He slips, but he stops. He's finding his grace, and it's a struggle. He's trying really hard."
According to reports, Ronnie was warned he risked being dropped from a proposed tour of America by his Rolling Stones band mates Sir Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts.
Pre-tour medical compulsory
"All the band have to have a compulsory pre-tour medical to make sure they can get insurance," a source explained.
"Ronnie failed his medical for the 2002/2003 tour because he was drinking seven times the recommended number of alcohol units a week. He had to spend months drying out at a clinic in Arizona.
"There are worries that could be the case again this time."
Ronnie was most recently treated for his alcohol addiction last August at the Life Works clinic in Surrey, England, following a 10-day drinking binge in Ireland with Russian girlfriend Ekaterina Ivanova, 20. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/182650/ronnie-wood-estranged-wife-still-mates
Ronnie Wood, Estranged Wife 'Still Mates'
By Adam, March 3 2009
Ronnie Wood's estranged wife Jo insists she is still "good mates" with the rocker.

Despite reports at the weekend Jo, 53, was gearing up for an acrimonious divorce with Ronnie - who ran off with 20-year-old Russian waitress Ekaterina Ivanova last year - the former model insists life is too short for rowing with your ex-husband and has decided to call a truce over their split.

She tells British newspaper The Sun, "I don't want things to get messy. Me and Ronnie are really good mates now.

"You can't be with someone for 31 years and not stay good mates."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ronnie's publicist working overtime...

repair... repair....bandaids... repair ....scramble...

patching things up a bit.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:28pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:49pm
I have it on reliable sources, that a sweaty Ronnie Wood recently picked up a bevy of 20-year old girls in a Buckhead convenient mart simply by sporting a U2 t-shirt
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:09pm by Saint Sway »  

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #38 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:08pm
Saint Sway wrote on Mar 4th, 2009 at 1:49pm:
I have it on reliable sources, that a sweaty Ronnie Wood recently picked up a bevy of 20-year old girls in a Buckshead   convenient mart simply by sporting a U2 t-shirt

no, that was Stonesalot.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #39 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:14pm
I'm told Sir Stones can pick up a chick by merely flashing a trusty photo from his wallet of him posing with one of The Chesterfield Kings

of course, immediately followed by the use of chloroform and duct tape

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #40 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:22pm
Saint Sway wrote on Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:14pm:
I'm told Sir Stones can pick up a chick by merely flashing a trusty photo from his wallet of him posing with one of The Chesterfield Kings

of course, immediately followed by the use of chloroform and duct tape

alleluiah, brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv20kJElbHU

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #41 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:27pm
the man has the blues. that's why he has to sit down to play the tambourine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdamN8IeGu8&feature=related

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #42 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:28pm
somewhere on a remote motel pool deck in Wildwood, NJ there are people in need of his talent

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #43 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:35pm
Saint Sway wrote on Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:28pm:
somewhere on a remote motel pool deck in Wildwood, NJ there are people in need of his talent

sitting tambourinists in sunglasses don't come cheap, son.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #44 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 3:50pm
Actually Ronnie showed up at the Bernard Fowler gig in LA last Sat night:

DAN REED/BERNARD FOWLER
Singer/songwriter Dan Reed graced the stage for the first set at Joe's Joint in Los Angeles last night.
He played a solo acoustic set of poignant, heartfelt numbers.
The members of the audience truly appreiated his set, especially those who were familiar with his work.
They sang along during every number Bernard Fowler and some of his "Friends with Privileges" took the stage for the second set.
His band of highly talented professionals included Tariq Akoni on guitar, David Goodstein on drums, Daniel Pearson on bass,
and Dimitri Brown (correct me if I am wrong here) on guitar....I've posted the set list below. Please excuse any omissions or errors.
1. Grow (B. Fowler, S. Salas)
2. Pop That Thang (Isleys)
3. Cinnamon Girl (N. Young)
4. Red Rooster (W. Dixon) joined by Ronnie Wood playing slide on a silver etched guitar
5. Flying (R, Lane, R. Stewart, R. Wood) joined by Ronnie Wood on a Red Fender and Blondie Chaplin on vocals
6. Small (S. Salas)
7. Get Away (B. Fowler, D. Wimbish)
8. You Know What I Mean (B. Fowler, D. Jones)
9. Your Future (B. Fowler, S. Salas)
10. Wild Horses

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #45 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 4:45pm
I have it on reliable sources, that a sweaty Ronnie Wood recently picked up a bevy of 20-year old girls in a Buckhead convenient mart simply by sporting a U2 t-shirt

nothing but rim.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #46 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 4:58pm
"nothing but rim"

...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KryptoNation Humiliation

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 5:00pm
Get a beer up in ya!

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #48 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 3:05am
Some Guy wrote on Mar 4th, 2009 at 4:45pm:

nothing but rim.

Fuck the rim!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSwZgpOad8
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2009 at 3:07am by robpop »  

...&&&&...

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #49 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 7:03am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 8:48pm:
I suppose...

I tell ya, they gotta have songs written or some what ready at this point. Here we are coming up on March and there's much talk about a tour in the fall with a new album. Either they have already worked things out recording wise in bits here, and longer encounters here and again or I'm stumped at what they have going on or what they plan on doing? Now is the time they should be buckled down recording if an album is to come out in the fall.
Even if it were true, and as Gazza points out it probably isn't, I'd have to think of the quality of the output, it seems that with each new album their standards (and ambitions) fall down one notch lower, I thought ABB was the nadir (sloppy recording in Mick's home, with no guitar parts of interest and two vaguely memorable songs) but it will probably be worse the next time. Well at least we had B2B 10+ years ago...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)